How to buy a statue 101. | The Boneyard

How to buy a statue 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TWIMC, I buy a lot of art. There is a right way and a wrong way.

The wrong way. "I know a guy who can built a statue for $25,000."

The right way. The three bid process.

Identify three possible contractors. This is easily done on the internet and you can look at their previous work.

Send the same parameters to each bidder. For example, We want a seven-foot tall, bronze statue to stand on three foot circular base based on enclosed/attached photograph of Jim Calhoun. The statue will be placed outside and must be withstand the elements. Please include installation in the bid. Bids are expected by September 30th 2012 with installation in March 2013. Our price range is $20,000 to $30,000. The bid specs should be more involved (and real) but this gives an idea.

Finally, review the bids and choose the best one. Pay half up front and the final half at the completion of the job. Sometimes you can pay a third at award. A third at beginning of production and a third at completion of installation.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Where is this statue supposed to go up? To the extent anyone is seriously considering this, the university would need to OK it (assuming this would be on university property).

Reaction Score
I think this is a great idea! Can we make it happen? There is a post on Facebook today announcing that President Herbst will hold an open office this Thursday from 1-3pm at Gulley Hall. That would be the perfect opportunity to see if the school would allow the donation and placement of a statue of Coach. Is there anyone who can attend?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's all fine, but UConn will let us put a statue on their campus right after they clear us to start launching rockets from the roof of Gampel.

Reaction Score
It's all fine, but UConn will let us put a statue on their campus right after they clear us to start launching rockets from the roof of Gampel.

I'm sure there is some lengthy set of procedures and a never-ending series of approvals that we would need to go through before the University would give us approval for a statue. Although the idea of a statue merits discussion, this is not a quick solution where we will have a statue on campus in 6 - 12 months. IMO, we need to do something to honor JC in a more timely manner and ideally for the start of the season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here is the reality of it - if and when the school puts a statue of Jim Calhoun up, there will be a very large fundraising drive attached to it.

That's how it's done these days.

Reaction Score
Here is the reality of it - if and when the school puts a statue of Jim Calhoun up, there will be a very large fundraising drive attached to it.

Why can't we send him a pie? People like pie and JC is surely no exception.

Reaction Score
True story - Unocal erected a life size statue of Fred Hartley, the CEO of Unocal. When Hartley saw the statue, he made them tear it down and build a BIGGER statue. Seems that the life size one was too small for him (or his ego)? So so the next statue was 25% larger than life. Hartley reportedly liked the second statue.

Reaction Score
Call Polich Art Works in New York, talk to Vanessa about possible costs, then start Plan B.

Reaction Score

Where will the rockets be pointed - Indianapolis, Chestnut Hill or Sunnyvale CA??

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where will the rockets be pointed - Indianapolis, Chestnut Hill or Sunnyvale CA??

Someone just earned a promotion to Director of our new rocket program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TWIMC, I buy a lot of art. There is a right way and a wrong way.

The wrong way. "I know a guy who can built a statue for $25,000."

The right way. The three bid process.

Identify three possible contractors. This is easily done on the internet and you can look at their previous work.

Send the same parameters to each bidder. For example, We want a seven-foot tall, bronze statue to stand on three foot circular base based on enclosed/attached photograph of Jim Calhoun. The statue will be placed outside and must be withstand the elements. Please include installation in the bid. Bids are expected by September 30th 2012 with installation in March 2013. Our price range is $20,000 to $30,000. The bid specs should be more involved (and real) but this gives an idea.

Finally, review the bids and choose the best one. Pay half up front and the final half at the completion of the job. Sometimes you can pay a third at award. A third at beginning of production and a third at completion of installation.
So will you be taking the lead in interviewing companies and developing a RFP?

CL82

Reaction Score

The reality of it, is a group of of people are interested in supporting the university enough that they are willing to pony up significant cash. The university understands that this gift is a gateway to future giving. In essence we are developing a donor list for them.

If we generate $30K of cash they'll find a place that works for us. That's how it is these days, thats how it has always been.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I guarantee you a statue will be erected on campus led by a UConn board committee before we can even come up with the money.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
As I said in another post, if not outside Gampel, the perfect place for a statue would be on a second floor promenade overlooking the men's court at the new practice facility so 'Calhoun' can look on forever. So many here are saying, why bother, the alumni or university will do this or that, so why should we. I say because as the most loyal fanbase who have gotten so much enjoyment from UCONN under JC, it's our chance to say thanks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The reality of it, is a group of of people are interested in supporting the university enough that they are willing to pony up significant cash. The university understands that this gift is a gateway to future giving. In essence we are developing a donor list for them.

If we generate $30K of cash they'll find a place that works for us. That's how it is these days, thats how it has always been.

Ah, no.

They'd love our cash, but they won't want our statue.

Ask 'em yourself.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying i have no expertise in the area. Being a naysayer is always the easy way through life, so obviously I don't think a statue is a good idea. It would seem to me that we would have a very hard time coordinating logistics with the university for such a thing. Why would UConn want make a place and implicitly take care of a statue forever that some group of internet nutjobs and one very intelligent/handsome fellow decide to give them? Also why would they want to miss out on a good idea, i imagine they could raise quite a bit of money on their own to build a statue.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ah, no.

They'd love our cash, but they won't want our statue.

Ask 'em yourself.

Ah, yes.

The hook is to get anyone to give anything of consequence. Once that happens you steer them. But you absolutely never say no. You develop the relationship.

If we raise the money, or even agree as to a concept, I'd be happy to work with them, but there are a lot people on this board who could do it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying i have no expertise in the area. Being a naysayer is always the easy way through life, so obviously I don't think a statue is a good idea. It would seem to me that we would have a very hard time coordinating logistics with the university for such a thing. Why would UConn want make a place and implicitly take care of a statue forever that some group of internet nutjobs and one very intelligent/handsome fellow decide to give them? Also why would they want to miss out on a good idea, i imagine they could raise quite a bit of money on their own to build a statue.

First off, thank you for noting my special qualities among the unwashed masses making up The Boneyard (remember, "You have to believe you are special to be special"). Secondly, it seems like someone did contact UConn and was told to try to refine our idea and get back to them (or something to that effect). Perhaps they would accept money earmarked for a JC statue. We could pay for a part of it, like his nose or middle finger. Who was that masked man who contacted them, perhaps he could find out if designating money toward a statue would be possible at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom