How to build up the UConn - UMass rivalry game/week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How to build up the UConn - UMass rivalry game/week?

Reaction Score
We did have a Trophy for the UMass game...

What happened to the UConn-UMass trophy?

As you can see by the looks on the players faces, they love the trophy.

Having something for this rivalry is non-negotiable.

hc_uconn_vs_ucf_football.0.jpg

Reaction Score
I’ve been an advocate for this for a while. But these things need to happen, not be made by marketers. Things can be done to help though. Play the game on rivalry weekend. Bring both bands. Maybe think about playing it at Fenway. But obviously a game between 2 0-6 teams doesn’t have the same feel as one between 2 6-0 ones. One of my beefs with the old Big East was that they missed so many chances to nurture these games. The Backyard Brawl should have been played on rivalry week. Us and Rutgers, UL and Cincinnat. BC Syracuse. When a 3-8 UMass upsets 8-3 UConn on a questionable call, it becomes a thing.

Reaction Score
on the ONE hand ... we now have the smirking focus of many of the snarkiest sportswriters in America at 0-6 playing 0-5

I think WE ought to make this New England Sports Day. Watch 8 sports on one Saturday. Men's Hockey; Women's Hockey; Men's Soccer; Women's Soccer; Football; Men's Hoop; Women's Hoop. Bring it on

New England Day. Beans Clam Chowder Sam Adams ... make it ONE big day We can easily do that. The schools are close ... and make the Boston Globe cover it.

Reaction Score
That would be an amazing weekend. Run UConn-UMass across each sport in-play on the same weekend. Football and Women's Basketball Saturday, Soccer/Men's Basketball Sunday, Ice Hockey Fri & Sat nights home-home

Instead of a one-sport trophy, award it to the athletic department maybe bring about more focus to some of the less-focused on sports in the process.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah...even promote a unique dish for the UMass-UConn weekend...

The Beantown pizza....a baked bean pizza.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My opinion is the UConn-UMass game needs to have the aura of being the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year... so that, eventually, UConn can count on SELLing OUT The Rent for UConn's one rivalry game each year.

The series has an awesome backstory. UMass is currently winning the series at 37-35-2.
UConn–UMass football rivalry - Wikipedia

What Dave Benedict and Ryan Bamford need to do is make UConn-UMass week special. ALL WEEK FESTIVITIES leading up to the game, with lots of prominent business giving away freebies.

Benedict was genius in lining up UMass as a signature game after pulling out of the American - in as much as UConn needs at least one constant on the schedules every year. The only think I'd like to see happen is for this game to be part of College Football's "Rivalry Weekend" games. Perhaps it's time to unveil a trophy as well.

UConn and UMass should also make special uniforms for this game. Perhaps each team should use their oldest logos on the helmets.

The point is, it really is a big deal that both schools are working together to make this game something that defines each football season. This year both teams are winless but that doesn't have to be the headline. The headline should be that ONLY ONE TEAM will be winless coming out of it. A win should be seen as one of the necessities to a successful year.

I know I'm not alone in thinking it needs to be highlighted, as that was the reason for this meeting.

UMassNotebook-HG-102819-ph05
Lmao you want our “most important game of the year” to be against world beater UMass?

On the basketball board you are complaining that UConn football has given the optics to P5 that we’ve given up.

You know what shows the P5 suitors that we no longer take football seriously? Making UMass the “most important” game on the schedule (a schedule the includes annual games with higher profile regional rivals like BC, Maryland and Syracuse.)

I didn’t think any “rivalry” could be lamer than “The Conflict”, but this suggestion managed to top that.

if we’re going to fabricate a yearly game designed to grab attention of P5 conferences and football fans in general, it shouldn’t be vs UMass. Call it “the northeast cup” or something like that. Get a sponsor on board and make it a revolving series between us and pitt / cuse / Rutgers / BC / Maryland at a neutral site (meadowlands?). That will get way more respect than beating up on putrid UMass while wearing pretty jerseys.

Reaction Score
There actually are baked bean pizza's....but I'd rather have haggis....The post, of course was tongue in cheek.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
That big “U” game with UMass hoops lasted what , 35 seconds? 75.00 seats behind the basket at the dump HCC will do that. That and UMass hoop went south quick.
Get us away from that school in every sport.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think a trophy NEEDS to be established between both states for this game. It’s actually called “The U Game” - so make it a big rivalry, special jersey patches, or helmet decals. Merch for fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom