How to build up the UConn - UMass rivalry game/week? | The Boneyard

How to build up the UConn - UMass rivalry game/week?

Reaction Score
My opinion is the UConn-UMass game needs to have the aura of being the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year... so that, eventually, UConn can count on SELLing OUT The Rent for UConn's one rivalry game each year.

The series has an awesome backstory. UMass is currently winning the series at 37-35-2.
UConn–UMass football rivalry - Wikipedia

What Dave Benedict and Ryan Bamford need to do is make UConn-UMass week special. ALL WEEK FESTIVITIES leading up to the game, with lots of prominent business giving away freebies.

Benedict was genius in lining up UMass as a signature game after pulling out of the American - in as much as UConn needs at least one constant on the schedules every year. The only think I'd like to see happen is for this game to be part of College Football's "Rivalry Weekend" games. Perhaps it's time to unveil a trophy as well.

UConn and UMass should also make special uniforms for this game. Perhaps each team should use their oldest logos on the helmets.

The point is, it really is a big deal that both schools are working together to make this game something that defines each football season. This year both teams are winless but that doesn't have to be the headline. The headline should be that ONLY ONE TEAM will be winless coming out of it. A win should be seen as one of the necessities to a successful year.

I know I'm not alone in thinking it needs to be highlighted, as that was the reason for this meeting.

UMassNotebook-HG-102819-ph05

Reaction Score
Both teams need to be better and there needs to be some real stakes (i.e. both teams improve to the point where you can say eligibility for the Fenway Bowl or something of that nature is on the line). You can't force it.. it'll happen or it won't.

Reaction Score
Definitely turn it into the Bunker Hill Battle and get a replica flintlock which the winner keeps for the year. Have fife and drum regiments from each side with ceremony hand it over to the winner. It goes to the Governor’s office as a symbol (and reminder football is important).

Reaction Score
10 feet high

Attachments

• 7010DB8D-775F-4322-87A8-4326914DF42C.jpeg
    7010DB8D-775F-4322-87A8-4326914DF42C.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 109
Reaction Score
Both teams need to be better and there needs to be some real stakes (i.e. both teams improve to the point where you can say eligibility for the Fenway Bowl or something of that nature is on the line). You can't force it.. it'll happen or it won't.
This. The best rivalries are organic. I agree this one has potential, considering it's been a rivalry in the past (football in the 1-AA days, hoop in the 90s)

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, right now, the only ones who care enough to attend home games are diehard Boneyarders, Pop Warner teams, band parents, players' families, about two hundred drunken college kids, and some Pickleball players who won free tickets on WTIC.

I'm hoping that when we eventually (and we one day will) fill the Rent, there's more to be excited about than a rivalry with UMess.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd be happy with a rivalry against ANYONE. I don't care about the name of the school.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with a rivalry but it won’t be one until the teams are solid and play competitive games. Frankly, I want to get back where we were. We should be beating UMass by 4+ touchdowns every time we play. If we do what we should do to them, it will be like playing Maine or Rhode Island, which doesn’t make for an exciting rivalry.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I remember before we became FBS, we used to go up to UMass and do something to their Marching Band field. They'd always return the favor. One year, if I remember correctly, we covered the field with plastic forks sticking up out of the grass. It had been going on for awhile before I got there. We moved to FBS a few years after I got to school.

While you might be thinking it was just a bunch of band dorks, it was a fun little rivalry with the two bands because we were so close and used to always travel to the games.

This game could have a little fun to it if people would actually allow themselves to see it as something that could be more. Instead, they look down their noses at UMass....not sure how anyone thinks we have the right to look down our noses at anyone....

Reaction Score
One of the many factors which made the AAC a bad fit for UConn was that UConn lacked a geographic rival.

When the AAC was set up UConn should have pushed for UMass to be included rather than lightweights Tulsa or East Carolina.

Even with UMass the AAC would still have been a bad fit for UConn but it would have been more tolerable.

Reaction Score
The OP post is satire, right? It has to be.

You know how you make it an important game? You have it be between two teams who aren't as bad as the FBS can produce. Not by holding more press conferences and judging a cornhole game in the parking lot.

Reaction Score
I remember before we became FBS, we used to go up to UMass and do something to their Marching Band field. They'd always return the favor. One year, if I remember correctly, we covered the field with plastic forks sticking up out of the grass. It had been going on for awhile before I got there. We moved to FBS a few years after I got to school.

While you might be thinking it was just a bunch of band dorks, it was a fun little rivalry with the two bands because we were so close and used to always travel to the games.

This game could have a little fun to it if people would actually allow themselves to see it as something that could be more. Instead, they look down their noses at UMass....not sure how anyone thinks we have the right to look down our noses at anyone....
True story.

Rutgers tried to do the plastic fork thing to us one year when their band came to visit.

Only they didn’t know we practice on blacktop.

Reaction Score
My opinion is the UConn-UMass game needs to have the aura of being the MOST IMPORTANT game of the year... so that, eventually, UConn can count on SELLing OUT The Rent for UConn's one rivalry game each year.

The series has an awesome backstory. UMass is currently winning the series at 37-35-2.
UConn–UMass football rivalry - Wikipedia

What Dave Benedict and Ryan Bamford need to do is make UConn-UMass week special. ALL WEEK FESTIVITIES leading up to the game, with lots of prominent business giving away freebies.

Benedict was genius in lining up UMass as a signature game after pulling out of the American - in as much as UConn needs at least one constant on the schedules every year. The only think I'd like to see happen is for this game to be part of College Football's "Rivalry Weekend" games. Perhaps it's time to unveil a trophy as well.

UConn and UMass should also make special uniforms for this game. Perhaps each team should use their oldest logos on the helmets.

The point is, it really is a big deal that both schools are working together to make this game something that defines each football season. This year both teams are winless but that doesn't have to be the headline. The headline should be that ONLY ONE TEAM will be winless coming out of it. A win should be seen as one of the necessities to a successful year.

I know I'm not alone in thinking it needs to be highlighted, as that was the reason for this meeting.

UMassNotebook-HG-102819-ph05
We don't build it up.

Reaction Score
The OP post is satire, right? It has to be.

You know how you make it an important game? You have it be between two teams who aren't as bad as the FBS can produce. Not by holding more press conferences and judging a cornhole game in the parking lot.
The OP is Diaco-level cringe

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom