How the game has changed | The Boneyard

How the game has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
We,as fans,become so spoiled,with the talented players and coaches that we follow each and every year.The game has changed so much,since our favorite team and players have completed their college careers.

So many things have changed in women's basketball.Just in availability of equipment,resources,and personal training,that has advanced beyond what was available 20 years ago.

Young ladies,today,are generally more talented than their peers were 10,20,or 30 years ago.In the older days of college ball,there were few opportunities to strengthen one's body,to get personal attention to their game,to find other avenues to play against the better competition in their sport,as they learn and progress through high school.

Makes you wonder,just how good some of the greatest college players,back in the day,would have been with a weight lifting center and trainer,with a personal trainer,in the off season, and the tournaments and summer teams and camps that are available.

Yes the talent ,today,has some advantages,over the past.Even the coaching has changed,dramatically,the past 20 or 30 years.Gone,in many ways,are the practices,running sets ,and getting the ball to one or two players,as the primary goal.Now,it is more about teaching,getting everyone involved,assigning a specific place for each player on the team.

We are so fortunate,not only to have the talent we always get at Connecticut,but a coaching staff that teaches the right way,that gets the training and attention to individuals,as well as the team,as a whole.

To see young ladies,who come out of high school,who come to Connecticut,where they are molded into superb players,and more importantly,outstanding citizens of the university,is a true joy,for any fan.

We.as fans of Connecticut basketball,are very lucky,not only because the game and its' opportunities has changed,but,also,that the coaching staff has changed with the times,too.

It feels great to see the program come,from the beginning,to where it is now.

To my last breath,Connecticut blue always and forever.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that today's players [not just UConn's btw] are incredible athletes. I have my doubts as to whether they are better basketball players- a lot of them seem to lack strong fundamentals compared to the players of yesterday.

Or maybe I'm just turning into a cranky old lady ;)

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that today's players [not just UConn's btw] are incredible athletes. I have my doubts as to whether they are better basketball players- a lot of them seem to lack strong fundamentals compared to the players of yesterday.

Send a picture, we'll let you know.

Reaction Score

Those results are not necessarily mutually exclusive. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I found this selfie of you - very cranky!!

donna-corso.jpg

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The game has changed a lot since Immaculata was winning the titles. Title IX helped change things. The players today worked on thier game growing up. The also have basketball camps and other things. Players have others too look up too and model thier game. Such as Cheryl Miller one of the greatest players ever.

Reaction Score
I don't know that athletes or students are innately more talented than they were in the past. The human intellect and physiology both have limits. With Title 9, women with DI bodies, that would have been seen as kinda freaky in the past, have an incredible outlet for their talents. In both areas, the 'coaching' and supportive services, medical and strength-wise, have improved. I remember a player in the mid '80's who needed a transfer scholarship. She tore up her knee in November, got arthroscopic surgery, and was back on the floor 4 weeks later, kicking butt and taking names. She got the scholarship, which positively impacted her life. She had a good surgeon and a good AT, but today that piece would be even better.

In the area of coaching, if Geno was asked how his philosophy about playing this game has changed since, say, 1990, it would be illuminating. His teams play differently now, I believe because he 'sees' a different big picture than he did then, and he and his staff are masterful at translating that vision in a way that players can understand and buy into. This impacts his practices, and then we watch a group of 18-22 year-olds make magic.

How fortunate for those of us that enjoy the purity of team basketball that we are privileged to watch in WCBB

Reaction Score
The game has changed a lot since Immaculata was winning the titles. Title IX helped change things. The players today worked on thier game growing up. The also have basketball camps and other things. Players have others too look up too and model thier game. Such as Cheryl Miller one of the greatest players ever.

Great point! Getting to watch Miller, Parker, Kara Lawson, DT, Maya, Sue B, the Ruth, Whelan, the Meeks, and so many more, is an incredible advantage. What Dr. J did that blew us away, is commonplace now. I love music and what the ground breaking guitarists of the '50's and '60's did, is being replicated by 14 year-olds. But in the programs that endure, they do so, not because the players are better, but because the coaches 'get' it, and are able to imbue their players with a sense of what works within that 94X50 foot rectangle.

Damn! I love this game.

Reaction Score

Great observation. The kids play games year round with club teams beyond their normal Jr High and High School competition. When I first started coaching in the sixties we practiced everyday after school for two hours on drills and skills. Game day was a walk through in afternoon, game at night. Most kids played other sports during the off season and/or pick-up games with friends ... No Adults. Not the case during the end of my career. Kids began playing year round and always with adults instructing during endless game-condition scrimmaging often with referees. Kids are much better basketball players today but unless the individual is self-motivated and lucky enough to have a skills first instructor they lack basic fundamental basketball skills. IMO that is why many recruits won't look at UCONN. No instant gratification at Storrs just practice, practice and more practice. I couldn't do it nowadays because kids have changed and I've become a cranky, stubborn old lady too!

Reaction Score
Great observation. The kids play games year round with club teams beyond their normal Jr High and High School competition. When I first started coaching in the sixties we practiced everyday after school for two hours on drills and skills. Game day was a walk through in afternoon, game at night. Most kids played other sports during the off season and/or pick-up games with friends ... No Adults. Not the case during the end of my career. Kids began playing year round and always with adults instructing during endless game-condition scrimmaging often with referees. Kids are much better basketball players today but unless the individual is self-motivated and lucky enough to have a skills first instructor they lack basic fundamental basketball skills. IMO that is why many recruits won't look at UCONN. No instant gratification at Storrs just practice, practice and more practice. I couldn't do it nowadays because kids have changed and I've become a cranky, stubborn old lady too!
Lol. Last night Geno mentioned that he avoids some kids because he doesn't want their PARENTS on the team. Ha Ha. made me think of the show "dance moms" This is a dimension we NEVER hear about.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
When I first started watching WCBB, the players regularly missed shots around the basket, bunnies we used to call them. I remember Geno complaining about that also. Today, watching Morgan Tuck around the basket, she virtually never misses, nor Kia Nurse, or any of the other Huskies. This one change has made WCBB more watchable and pleasurable for me.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Aluminny69 said:
When I first started watching WCBB, the players regularly missed shots around the basket, bunnies we used to call them. I remember Geno complaining about that also. Today, watching Morgan Tuck around the basket, she virtually never misses, nor Kia Nurse, or any of the other Huskies. This one change has made WCBB more watchable and pleasurable for me.

I agree that this is generally true, but did you see the first few minutes of the SMU game on Sunday? UConn started the game shooting 1 for 8, and most of those misses were layup attempts by Morgan. She was not herself on Sunday, but she made up for it last night.

There are still far too many missed layups in the women's game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I agree that this is generally true, but did you see the first few minutes of the SMU game on Sunday? UConn started the game shooting 1 for 8, and most of those misses were layup attempts by Morgan. She was not herself on Sunday, but she made up for it last night.

I agree. But Morgan seems to have a nice soft touch around the basket.

I remember that Tina Charles had problems around the basket. Geno thought that she was trying to pad her rebound stats.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Failure to look at the rim certainly accounts for some of those misses. You can't "flip" the ball at the basket and hit any good percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom