How much longer will Newton remain a starter? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How much longer will Newton remain a starter?

Reaction Score
AJ should be the starting PG. move newton off ball let him play as a combo/scoring guard with an emphasis on attacking the hoop. i don't even care if he makes it i want that mindset drilled into his head.
I would get Joey in the starting line up and move AJ to the point.

Reaction Score
These aren’t freshman, and most of our transfers are from P5 conferences. Providence should not shake them up.
Providence is 27-1 in their last 28 home games. They have one of the best home courts in the country. The only team to beat them was the Nova FInal Four team.

ALL players shoot worse on the road. ALL players get called for more and draw less fouls on the road. Not just freshmen. There's a reason why beating a top 75 team on the road is the same as beating a top 30 team at home.

Reaction Score
Providence is 27-1 in their last 28 home games. They have one of the best home courts in the country. The only team to beat them was the Nova FInal Four team.

ALL players shoot worse on the road. ALL players get called for more and draw less fouls on the road. Not just freshmen. There's a reason why beating a top 75 team on the road is the same as beating a top 30 team at home.
After the first half, the crowd was actually pretty quiet until they started putting the game away with 3-4 minutes left. The team didn’t just shoot poorly; they looked shook.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the thoughts of Jackson at the point. What can he do with the ball in his hands? He's not a shooter and not a penetrator. All you have to do is play off him and wait for him to pass.

Reaction Score
We have no guys who can beat you off the dribble and it seems a lot of the top teams have multiple guys.

This been an issue for a while now. We finally got shooters but now no one we can drive by guys.

Reaction Score
After the first half, the crowd was actually pretty quiet until they started putting the game away with 3-4 minutes left. The team didn’t just shoot poorly; they looked shook.
You're underrating the crowd in general, but either way, It's not just crowd noise, but it's also unfamilliar building sightlines and backdrops. Heck, teams even use different basketball brands/styles that the home team gets to pick that researchers have found to have a statistically significant effect on road team shooting (no idea if Providence uses a different ball than us).

Reaction Score
That’s effectively what happens already when both are on the court together. Jackson has been the primary initiator for some time now.

Problem is Newton doesn’t have the quickness/athleticism to attack the hoop reliably. He relies heavily on his size and getting bailed out with foul calls (which he isn’t getting). And now that his 3pt shot has deserted him he is in a tough spot.

For those that watched him at ECU, how was he getting most of his offense? He doesn’t strike me a reliable high volume scorer. Or was he just feasting against lower level teams?
That hits the nail on the head. I had this concern in the PK Invitational even when he was playing well. In the PK Invitational he played well against Oregon and Alabama, but most of his points were scored on 3s and FTs. Not a bad thing, but I am just not sure he can score in the lane by driving to the hoop without getting a foul call in his favor. And his open 3s were not even close yesterday and the same could be said for Calcaterra and AJax.

I think his defense has been solid even if the team defense hasn't been great the last 2 games.

Reaction Score

I find, whether NBA or college, that the star players have to carry the team on the road more as the role players tend to have better impactful performances on their home court.

Reaction Score
You're underrating the crowd in general, but either way, It's not just crowd noise, but it's also unfamilliar building sightlines and backdrops. Heck, teams even use different basketball brands/styles that the home team gets to pick that researchers have found to have a statistically significant effect on road team shooting (no idea if Providence uses a different ball than us).
I’m not talking about inaccurate shooting and unfamiliar sight lines. Bad nights happen. I’m talking about timidness in a moderately hostile environment. I figured these transfers had all had a good taste of it by the time they got here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those that watched him at ECU, how was he getting most of his offense? He doesn’t strike me a reliable high volume scorer. Or was he just feasting against lower level teams?
From what I can tell, we're asking him to play completely differently than he did at ECU. He was the guy at ECU, they ran offense for him all game. Right now, especially considering how often Andre initiates offense, Newton is almost our 4th option at times. He's a career 85% FT shooter who did a lot of damage in the mid-range, but he's never really been a guy who does his best work off the ball

Reaction Score
He played better today and saw flashes of what he should be doing. He still seems to be a bit out of sync with the offense and at times hanging out 3-5 ft outside of the 3 point line at the top of the key and basically takes himself out of the main action of the play. Once he gets the ball at that position, he's starting his offense 20-22 feet from the basket. He's not going to blow by anyone that far from the basket. It's a minor adjustment. I think he's going to come around.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Hassan deserves to start over Newton but I am definitely perplexed as to why Newton leads our team in minutes. Like others said, 1H yesterday he was attacking much more. I thought he was getting absolutely hammered and not getting the calls. I just cannot stand, though, how often he leaves his feet without any clue in mind where he's going with the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom