How much longer will Newton remain a starter? | The Boneyard

How much longer will Newton remain a starter?

Reaction Score
Strategy was much better with him today. Coaches clearly talked and re-centered him. He did a lot of driving to the paint. Just didn't get calls and he missed all his wide open 3s.

A lot of it is road/crowd.
Agree - thought he played much better today

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
34% shooting, poor decision making and constantly jumping in the air without any plan is killing our offense. It’s about time for a change.

So, what is your lineup change? Who takes the PG spot to start and who takes his minutes?

Reaction Score
He has a ton he needs to improve on, but given the alternatives that starting spot isn't going anywhere
This. Who are we plugging in for him? Outside of a couple games, Diarra just doesn’t bring anything offensively.

Newton has to find his shot. His three looks terrible right now.

Reaction Score
The alternative is Hassan Diarra or run AJax at the point and start Alleyne at the 3

Diarra is better than his box score, but he’s at 3.3 PPG on 32.7% and near 50% on FT

Alleyne is inconsistent but is at 37.3% FG

Newton isn’t who we wanted him to be, but he’s our guy to start. We have depth, so we should switch in situational players depending how the game goes

Reaction Score
The fact Diarra can not make free throws is going to be a huge issue in MSG and the NCAA Tourney. Hurley better get to work. The same goes for Clingan who will get to the line as his minutes increase. Newton shot his free throw like he didn't give a crap tonight. We've got issues.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’m probably in the minority, but I like when both AJ and Newton are on the floor. Both are capable of handling the ball and distributing.
Very true - but the other problem is that neither are capable of scoring!

Reaction Score
Truth is we need Newton to get better on the offensive end. Did some better things early but somehow went back to not being the aggressive player. Needs to try to score much more often. We have no other answer, Diarra is a nice piece off the bench if he's our starter we are in trouble period!

Reaction Score
Truth is we need Newton to get better on the offensive end. Did some better things early but somehow went back to not being the aggressive player. Needs to try to score much more often. We have no other answer, Diarra is a nice piece off the bench if he's our starter we are in trouble period!

I agree, we need Newton to up his game/shooting, not be benched.

Reaction Score
We need him to drive the lane, but then he becomes completely lost. ( No left hand).
AJ should start at point, Joey C at guard. Joey C is also our best passer into our bigs.

Reaction Score
Excited.

1672927093945.png

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Newton had the spotlight at ECU because he was the team. Bring him here and he is no longer the man. It affects people in different ways and DH should have had that in mind. He was never a pure PG to start. Diara is the only PG on this team - I know he has limited offensive skills but I would give him the keys in one game from the start and see what he can do - if it fails then you need to go back to using the PG by committee but that is what really weakens the team. DH has a problem on his hands - time to work on it.

Reaction Score
AJ should be the starting PG. move newton off ball let him play as a combo/scoring guard with an emphasis on attacking the hoop. i don't even care if he makes it i want that mindset drilled into his head.

Reaction Score
AJ should be the starting PG. move newton off ball let him play as a combo/scoring guard with an emphasis on attacking the hoop. i don't even care if he makes it i want that mindset drilled into his head.
That’s effectively what happens already when both are on the court together. Jackson has been the primary initiator for some time now.

Problem is Newton doesn’t have the quickness/athleticism to attack the hoop reliably. He relies heavily on his size and getting bailed out with foul calls (which he isn’t getting). And now that his 3pt shot has deserted him he is in a tough spot.

For those that watched him at ECU, how was he getting most of his offense? He doesn’t strike me a reliable high volume scorer. Or was he just feasting against lower level teams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom