How Memphis Turned Their Program Around | The Boneyard

How Memphis Turned Their Program Around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is long but interesting. Parallels can be clearly seen.

The Memphis Blueprint for Rebuilding a College Football Team
By Adam Kramer, National College Football Lead Writer Dec 23, 2014

A team that won a total of 10 games over the course of four lifeless, talent-deprived seasons matched that number in less than four months in 2014.

After a flood of offense, a gravity-defying 54-yard game-tying field goal in overtime, a game-winning interception in double overtime and a wild postgame fracas unlike any in recent history, Memphis did more than conquer BYU in the Miami Beach Bowl.

It emerged from program purgatory.

......(edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You forgot get red uniforms and black helmets. Or black uniforms and chrome helmets. He did that first I'm sure since everyone knows red uniforms are the key to building a program. Can't recruit without a Ed one and a black one

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Please, don't post entire articles.

Copyright and all that.

Use a link.

Reaction Score
This is long but interesting. Parallels can be clearly seen.

The Memphis Blueprint for Rebuilding a College Football Team
By Adam Kramer, National College Football Lead Writer Dec 23, 2014

A team that won a total of 10 games over the course of four lifeless, talent-deprived seasons matched that number in less than four months in 2014.

After a flood of offense, a gravity-defying 54-yard game-tying field goal in overtime, a game-winning interception in double overtime and a wild postgame fracas unlike any in recent history, Memphis did more than conquer BYU in the Miami Beach Bowl.

It emerged from program purgatory.

.(edited)
Thanks for posting this. Can't wait for the day it turns for the Huskies!

Reaction Score
Please, don't post entire articles.

Copyright and all that.

Use a link.
From another thread - link included:

@KegsnEggs: Memphis won 10 games this season. In doing so, it provided a blueprint on how to emerge from program purgatory.

>>Good read:

Step One: Find Your Template
Step Two: Work Your A** Off
Step Three: Savor The Journey and Celebrate Small Victories
Step Four: Develop a Personal Covenant

To rebuild a program from the ground up, you need to follow the steps Fuente laid out. You need to find success through others and incorporate the wisdom of people who have done it before. You need to make the most out of your practice, exhausting each and every hour given in creative ways. You need to celebrate, build on and learn from success, even if these conversations don’t take place in plain sight.<<

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
You forgot get red uniforms and black helmets. Or black uniforms and chrome helmets. He did that first I'm sure since everyone knows red uniforms are the key to building a program. Can't recruit without a Ed one and a black one

Fuente has brought us the best uni's we've ever had..,
maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
Practice pace and reps were the main detail I got from this. That and the fact his background is on the offensive side of the ball. I'd like to know more about his choice of staff and philosophy in creating a productive offense and defense. We have a template and we're changing the way we approach things. Those other details are still question-marks. I'd just like to see us settle on a QB, block better and show some more pace and imagination on offense. I know that's a lot to ask around here but other programs seem to be able to do it.

Reaction Score
It boggles my mind freescooter you still don't get it. This is a new age in building a program and recruiting get with it!

Reaction Score
Fuentes just said "it" "nicer":

“It was a nightmare. It was awful. We couldn’t even make it through it, first of all,” Fuente said. “We weren’t physically conditioned enough to do it. It was as an everyday battle, and it still is. It’s still not where I want it to be.

Reaction Score
Fuentes just said "it" "nicer":

“It was a nightmare. It was awful. We couldn’t even make it through it, first of all,” Fuente said. “We weren’t physically conditioned enough to do it. It was as an everyday battle, and it still is. It’s still not where I want it to be.

You can say whatever you want if you produce. Until HCBD produces, we will continue to have to listen to every meaningless statement being overanalyzed

Reaction Score
"In fact, appreciating the growth and celebrating the results—as insignificant as they might appear to those outside of the building—is fuel to move forward.

Winning a national championship is always the goal. Of course it is. But when you start at the bottom, there’s something to be said about admiring the climb. In many ways, this is where the satisfaction lies.

“It’s hard to do this and you don’t have to tell anybody about it,” Fuente said. “But inwardly you have to take some satisfaction in small steps. If not, you drive yourself craz
y.”"

The difference is that RD is speaking in the present tense. Fuentes seems to be describing things that occur as part of his successful process. One is in the sh't. One has successfully navigated his way out.

As the season unfolded, I forced myself to believe that: 1) RD and the staff have a plan which they will not compromise, and 2) It's not important that I, or others, understand either the Plan or it's implementation (coaching moves) as long as RD understands both.

Ever come in contact with a control freak with fringe OCD? Of course he has a plan!

Reaction Score
I'm sure in year 1 when Fuentes was 3-9 and spouting his mantras folks were skeptical. It's year 2 and 3 that count.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure in year 1 when Fuentes was 3-9 and spouting his mantras folks were skeptical. It's year 2 and 3 that count.

First of all nobody gave a damn what he said because Memphis had no fans.

Secondly year 1 counted. We can pretend to ignore it if you'd like but 2014 happened.

Thirdly - years 2 and 3 and 4 do matter more. So beat Villanova.

Because for every coach who turns around a bad program - I can name 10 who didn't.

So that Fleck and Fuente had a lot in common with Diaco - until Diaco's team actually does something on the field - this is all just bullsh!t.

Reaction Score
For us I saw troops running on and off the field trying to do their best. The team looked more positive in body language and attitude even though this past year was more demoralizing results wise. The fact that it looked like we were trying to set records for substitutions I feel disrupted performance. Everyone was trying their hardest to do their job and meet expectations but in the stands I was at a loss as to what we were trying to do. Next year we need to look a lot more like we are hit men on a mission than " jackrabbits on a hot date" to borrow a line from the Christmas Story. Wins matter from game one next year for Bob the Builder. In football we are on life support. We need to play that way.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
First of all nobody gave a damn what he said because Memphis had no fans.

I love how folks forget that from 2003-2008 Memphis went to 5 bowls in 6 years...average of over 40k per game during the DeAngelo years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love how folks forget that from 2003-2008 Memphis went to 5 bowls in 6 years...average of over 40k per game during the DeAngelo years.

Thank you for this fine Christmas gift. A Memphis fan replying at 2:00 am on Xmas morning to a post on a UConn message board that if you consider the context, is so far over the top that it has to be satire.

Thank you kind sir: May you have 12 strong months of defending Memphis to people who do not care about Memphis in any way, shape or form.

Reaction Score

This plan of Fuentes is good because it isn't complicated, it's direct and it has worked before.

Too bad Diaco is overcomplicating. You're just trying to congratulate the guy for something he hasn't even achieved yet.

Maybe sometime this spring when he names all three of our starting QBs you will get it.

Reaction Score
UofMempis was a great poster, humble visitor. Now he has caught the arrogance that has taken over that program. What a shame

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Thank you for this fine Christmas gift. A Memphis fan replying at 2:00 am on Xmas morning to a post on a UConn message board that if you consider the context, is so far over the top that it has to be satire.

Thank you kind sir: May you have 12 strong months of defending Memphis to people who do not care about Memphis in any way, shape or form.

Yep, when I'm stuck on the toilet, you guys should be proud you're the first folks I think of...Merry Christmas from Memphis! [/flushestoilet]

Reaction Score

I remember those good Memphis years. UConn did well too under Edsall, went to Bowls and drew big crowds. Your Larry Porter was our Paul Pasqualoni. Now Fuentes and Diaco are in rebuilding mode, with Fuentes having a great second year after using his first to change the culture. Next year its our chance to turn some heads.

Reaction Score

Good take. And he probably didn't have all the loud/foul mouths we have, not to mention the ones who think there are coaches out there with magic spells they can cast out onto the field. We are Conn. Remember? what could the problem be. just win. get us to a P5. Are there others possibly deserving then US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom