How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TJ is in a tough position. We really don't know if the losses rests solely on the back of "coaching", "talent", or "effort".......it could be a part of each.

You "know" defensive coaches from AAC teams are druling at the possibility of facing an young, inexperienced QB; a pourous offensive line; injured and/or lack of depth/experience in receiving corps; ineffective running backs; key defensive players out...........what are the realistic chances of this team beating the likeness of UCF, Rutgers, Cinn, SMU,Louisville, Cinncinnatti?

TJ wins me over if the team plays as competitive as possible within the limits of current personnel & experience. If the offense shows unpredictable sequence of plays.....or perhaps plays never associated with any UConn team. W's may be tough to come by.......but if a "michigan type" effort is displayed in every game, no stupid mistakes, and the outcome of the game is not apparent until the final minutes (Unless its a UConn blowout win)........I'd vote for TJ.

We have a coach with what appears to be solid pedigree as a player and coach. (however, like the stock market, past performance is not a guarantee of future successes). Outside of W's & L's, recruiting herein out will be very difficult this year as the future head coach is unknown. And there may be departures after the season because of conflicting attitudes between players and coach.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for TJ assuming this position. W's are important, and without them both UConn's and TG's image will suffer.......and TJ may be gone. I understand the business. But I give him an A+ in attempt even before the first snap this Saturday........I certainly would not want to be in his shoes. Certainly hope he and UConn show increased promise for the future.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Really a bowl bid is the absolute minimum for me to even consider TJW. I like him a lot, he seems like a solid coach and would probably be a good hire for a lot of programs, but I'd rather they clean house. The only guy I wouldn't mind if he sticks around is Foley. I think we need to role the dice on someone a little more dynamic.

Reaction Score
The wierd thing is if TJW wasn't already on the staff we would think of him as someone who we should interview for the HC job.

With him here already he could be a victim of the "start fresh" approach.

In some respects it hurts him to already be on the staff and named interm coach.

That being said if he gets 4 wins I would think he would at least be considered.

Reaction Score
The wierd thing is if TJW wasn't already on the staff we would think of him as someone who we should interview for the HC job.
If he wasn't on the staff we wouldn't know him. How many reciever coaches can you name?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Should probably consider that WM may have brought TJ is as a possible future successor to P. Possibly as soon as next year. No one saw 0-4.

I do like the idea of growing our own coaches, but this search has to be national. There is too much at stake.

I would like the new coach to at least interview some of the former position coaches being talked up by our NFL guys for the OC and DC spots.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub,
I don't believe that he was brought in as P's replacement for a second. He was brought in to be the offensive coordinator in hope that he could breath some life into one of the worst offenses in college football. It isn't like we stole him from Chip Kelly's staff. He was out of work when Butch didn't bring him to Tennessee. He had never been an OC at this level though he was one at a 1AA program for a few years. It would have been an odd guy to select as "coach in waiting" in my view. Not impossible I suppose but aiming pretty low.

Reaction Score
Had TJW not already been here we would not likely have looked at him during our HC search. It's rare that position coaches are looked upon as head coaches at this level. The typical move would be from position coach at a big school, such as G.A. Mangus the QB coach at South Carolina who's developed Conner Shaw, whose next logical move would be to OC at another big school (or a head coach at a small Div 1AA school). Until you get your name mentioned by announcers as being responsible for success (example OC Morris at Clemson or DC Narduzzi at Mich St) you're just one of the many sideline guys wearing school colors. Of course coaching is in many ways a fraternity and word spreads among the profession about budding talent.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if the team plays hard, executes and is fun to watch, I'll be happy

I'm thinking winning comes with all of that stuff

PP's teams were simply hard to watch, these kids can be so much better

Reaction Score
Had TJW not already been here we would not likely have looked at him during our HC search.

This is probably true, but he has experience as an OC, putting together a top 25 offense at Western Kentucky which can't be easy, and as a recruiting coordinator, which we can all probably agree are two of the most desirable attributes in our next HC. If he can pull a win-less team up and win 4-5 games I say we give him a shot. I think continuity is a good thing for the program.

Reaction Score
Don't misunderstand me Matt. While he may not have gotten a look had he still been at Cincy or had gone to TN with Butch, now that he's here I hope he's the real deal--Jim Calhoun succeeding Perno. He definitely deserves a chance to be in the mix. It's in his (and a freshman QB's) hands. I'm rooting for both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom