How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over? | The Boneyard

How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's a little premature, but it's an off week and we don't have anything like actual performance to cloud our opinions, how many wins do people think they need for Weist to be brought on as permanent HC? Our schedule from here on out is USF, @UCF, Lville, @SMU, @Temple, RU, Memphis

Personally I think I'll be inclined to want to keep him if he can get us 4. USF, Memphis and @Temple are the closest things we have to sure wins if we get things turned around. If we can manage to win a game or two among @UCF, Lville, @SMU, and RU, I think I'd be ready to sing him up for 4-5 years. If we just win the 3 "easy" games I think it'll come down to style points and intangibles.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
One crushing blow out of USF,those boys are goin to be ...."a pack of crazed dogs!!!!!" for that game

Reaction Score
6. I think Warde wants to make his own decision as KO was really decided for him....But winning 6 of the last 8 will force his hand. If he goes 5-3, he will get consideration and if he is the best candidate that wants the job (who knows who's going to actually apply for the job and want it) then he will be hired. Any less and I think he gets the interview just based upon appreciation for service.

Reaction Score
[/ how many wins do people think they need for Weist to be brought on as permanent HC?QUOTE]

One!! A bowl "W" ..... anything less and the search should continue for the guy who can get the bowl "W"

Reaction Score
One...beat the snot out of USF & take no prisoners. I truly believe that T.J.'s hiring was Warde's call & forced on Coach P. with the intention of T.J. being eased in at Coach P.'s eventual successor. There was no indication that this team would totally implode to start the season.
Win one & go from there. If he can build on each win & we see radical improvement of performance-I'm all in.

Reaction Score
4 or more and he is the leader in the clubhouse. I think Warde hand picked him last year so he already has that going for him.

He also makes a good impression on the media, fans and students with the way he acts and interacts.

It will be hard to kick a good guy like TJ to the curb if he performs well going forward.

Reaction Score
Probably 5 wins with Good use of Time Outs. He has already shown that he cares about building bridges with the student population, so far he seems to have done all the right things. Time will tell about his offensive changes. Can he make "Something" out of "Nothing". Was the cupboard really half empty or just under utilized or over coached depending on which recently departed coach we are talking about. I think with his pedigree we are on the right track. And above all did Warde Manuel bring him in here as a head coach-in-waiting. From what I see on here Cincy people are not that crazy with Tommy T who used to be a high flyer. This is always the possibility. Granted it won't be a JH choice anymore so it can't be worse. I also read somewhere that Warde's phone was ringing off the hook, was it from prospective coaches or the CTHSCA. October 12th a new beginning. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I know it's a little premature, but it's an off week and we don't have anything like actual performance to cloud our opinions, how many wins do people think they need for Weist to be brought on as permanent HC? Our schedule from here on out is USF, @UCF, Lville, @SMU, @Temple, RU, Memphis

Personally I think I'll be inclined to want to keep him if he can get us 4. USF, Memphis and @Temple are the closest things we have to sure wins if we get things turned around. If we can manage to win a game or two among @UCF, Lville, @SMU, and RU, I think I'd be ready to sing him up for 4-5 years. If we just win the 3 "easy" games I think it'll come down to style points and intangibles.

I think 5-6 but with this schedule who knows, unless he can truly motivate these guys we could go 0 -12 just as likely.

BTW, you missed the Cinncinnati game in your list.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It will depend more on the eyeball test and who else is available, more than the win total, but he'll need 5 to be in the conversation including a win over UL, Cincy, or RU. 6 plus a good bowl showing will be a big boost to his chances, but I would be dissapointed in Warde if he is handed the job without a nationwide search.

The guy has been in town for eight months, so there is no program connection that needs consideration.

I will say he has an interesting backstory of working his way up and being a guy who loves the sport, not unlike certain other UCONN coaches who've managed to succeed here.

Reaction Score
4 if we look good doing it and are close in other games. Bonus points for beating Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's only about the wins. It's about consistency on the field, player development, and positive energy. Face reality, Weist has been handed an almost impossible situation and to expect him to get even 4 wins from here is heroic. UConn football was in a free fall and the move to Weist was to provide some stability and, hopefully, some positive momentum for the future.

Warde has a very tough decision in November and he has to make a decision by early November on Weist if he is going to have an adequate time to hire the next head coach.

Reaction Score
UconnJim said it all, for me, it's also not going to be about wins, it's going to be how the team performed, if they play hard and keep things close and respectable, I'll be okay with only a few wins. To be fair an honest, Weist is taking over at a difficult time.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's only about the wins. It's about consistency on the field, player development, and positive energy. Face reality, Weist has been handed an almost impossible situation and to expect him to get even 4 wins from here is heroic. UConn football was in a free fall and the move to Weist was to provide some stability and, hopefully, some positive momentum for the future.

Warde has a very tough decision in November and he has to make a decision by early November on Weist if he is going to have an adequate time to hire the next head coach.

Not for nothing.....I thought of spinning it that way....But it IS all about the wins....Thats what the fans have been clamoring for ever since RE....In the first 2 years we lost too many close games in PP's tenure. Does that mean he was holding his own until this year? No. In CR times, in times where we are trying to become big time and trying not to be left behind, it is all about wins, there are no moral feel good losses.....Weist's cupboard isn't bare, just as HCPP's cupboard wasn't bare (despite many who said this early on as he lost and lost, I think they realized now that it was him not the players)...Now his challenge is tough, he needs to reteach certain things and change the mantra but the playbook will not radically change. It sure as hell should be all about the wins though, especially in our conference.....He can lose tough ones this year to Louisville and maybe Rutgers, but everyone else has been proven to be on our playing field.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing.....I thought of spinning it that way....But it IS all about the wins....Thats what the fans have been clamoring for ever since RE....In the first 2 years we lost too many close games in PP's tenure. Does that mean he was holding his own until this year? No. In CR times, in times where we are trying to become big time and trying not to be left behind, it is all about wins, there are no moral feel good losses.....Weist's cupboard isn't bare, just as HCPP's cupboard wasn't bare (despite many who said this early on as he lost and lost, I think they realized now that it was him not the players)...Now his challenge is tough, he needs to reteach certain things and change the mantra but the playbook will not radically change. It sure as hell should be all about the wins though, especially in our conference.....He can lose tough ones this year to Louisville and maybe Rutgers, but everyone else has been proven to be on our playing field.

I think it is a difficult task to turn around a football team mid season. If he had spring and preseason practice, my expectations would be much higher. I think Weist will do a good job, but he seems to be starting a true freshman QB, and he has an OLine that hasn't proven able to block in any game so far this year. The RB position hasn't shown much promise so far.

Maybe Weist can fix those problems in the 2 weeks before the USF game, but it won't be easy. That is why if we see stability, show improvement, and show positive energy, then Weist will have been a success. That doesn't mean he will get the job as Manuel has to find the best coach for the future of the program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
To win me over? He already has. How many wins will it take for me to want TJW to be named our permanent head coach? That's tough to say because I don't know who is in the pool of candidates. That said, if we get to a bowl game, I'd be willing to close the door on the national search for a few years as long as the terms of the contract are reasonable (read: buyouts will NOT be a factor in year 2 or 3 should we continue to falter). If we win 5 games (we would need to get some impressive wins to get here) but don't go bowling, I'd keep the national search going but would hope that Warde really needs to wowed to bring in an outside guy. Less than 5 wins and I think Warde goes external.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it is a difficult task to turn around a football team mid season. If he had spring and preseason practice, my expectations would be much higher. I think Weist will do a good job, but he seems to be starting a true freshman QB, and he has an OLine that hasn't proven able to block in any game so far this year. The RB position hasn't shown much promise so far.

Maybe Weist can fix those problems in the 2 weeks before the USF game, but it won't be easy. That is why if we see stability, show improvement, and show positive energy, then Weist will have been a success. That doesn't mean he will get the job as Manuel has to find the best coach for the future of the program.

I suppose that depends on how you felt about this team before. To me based on the level of competition and my own eyeballs this team should be no worse than 3-1. I am operating under the assumption that generic coach X (not P) goes 4-4 in this league. Yes, TJ hasn't been dealt an optimum hand, but when has the UConn coach ever been dealt an optimum hand. He has a honeymoon period and sounds like the attitude of the players has changed dramatically. His liabilities are whatever damage the last 2+ years have done to the teams development. All in all, I think it's a fair test to judge his worthiness as a permanent candidate.

Candidate is as far as I am willing to go for this season.

Reaction Score
If Weist goes 4-4 or 5-3 in the AAC, he should get another year. Look at USF. They've fallen so far after booting Leavitt. Not easy to find a winner. UNC is losing with Fedora.

Reaction Score
If Weist goes 4-4 or 5-3 in the AAC, he should get another year. Look at USF. They've fallen so far after booting Leavitt. Not easy to find a winner. UNC is losing with Fedora.

I've never heard of hiring a head coach to a 1 year contract. Minimums are 3 year contracts.......It all depends on the candidate pool and how many experienced quality coaches want the job. If their are not many then Weist doesn't have to prove as much as long as there is some improvement. But I hope we have some quality coaches knocking down our door because WM put out the word that we are going to start paying better for winning football around here. And if that is the case then Weist will have to WIN in order to be offered the job.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If he goes 4-4, I think he'll be our coach next year (or at least I think his chances are better than a 50/50 that he is). If he wins 5 or more, he should be an absolute lock. If he gets to 6 wins and a bowl game, he will likely be ESPN's "feel-good" story that they will talk about in the weeks leading up to the bowl game and it would be embarrassing for Warde to not hire him at that point.

If he's not a lock at 5 or more, I would be both shocked and disappointed...

Reaction Score
I've never heard of hiring a head coach to a 1 year contract. Minimums are 3 year contracts.......It all depends on the candidate pool and how many experienced quality coaches want the job. If their are not many then Weist doesn't have to prove as much as long as there is some improvement. But I hope we have some quality coaches knocking down our door because WM put out the word that we are going to start paying better for winning football around here. And if that is the case then Weist will have to WIN in order to be offered the job.
I understand what you are saying. If he succeeds with this year's squad, we may want to take the 3 year risk, including this season as his first. But at the same time, have to be fiscally responsible.

Reaction Score
I want to say I like him and he's a breath of fresh air. However, anything less than a conference championship means I want to see a big name come in here next season and want to see that coach clean house.

Reaction Score
I want to say I like him and he's a breath of fresh air. However, anything less than a conference championship means I want to see a big name come in here next season and want to see that coach clean house.

How about Bruce Springsteen? He's a big name and can recruit NJ.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think if he can win 6 he should get the job because of the turn around and would show us how the team under achieved with FHCPP and GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom