How many season ticket holders last year/projections for this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How many season ticket holders last year/projections for this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unless there is news of a change on conference that happens over the summer, I suspect the number will be down yr/yr despite dumping PP, hiring BD and the success of the hoops teams. The team is just not good enough yet to garner any momentum, people think the AAC is a joke and no one cares that they play BYU and Boise (partially because perception is that they will lose badly in both games).

If somehow it is announced that they are invited to the B1G for 2016, then season tickets will go to 35k. if not, it will be a wait-and-see

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still vividly remember the first few years at the Rent (and criticism from many on an older version of this board on how I felt the school should have proceeded at that time) and still believe that we have the potential to double the attendance we had back in 2003-2005 at similar consistency.

As a new (to this level of competition) we needed to cultivate a fan base. There has been a minimal effort at this point but it is still far ahead of what was attempted through at least 2010. The attitude basically was "We're selling out the Rent. Our job is done!" which was absolutely ridiculous. There were easily another 15k-18k potential dedicated fans residing in Fairfield County, an equal number scattered throughout the remainder of the state and another 8k-10k potential dedicated fans residing out of state but within reasonable (for a college football game day) driving distance. One of the ideas I proposed (to the disagreement of some on the older version of this board) was giving tickets to local Boys and Girls clubs, Police Athletic league groups, Pop Warner, middle and high school athletic teams, etc., bringing in fans at that point (who today would be well into their college careers or young alumni age) who ten, fifteen plus years down the road would become paying customers. Many here back in the day made fun of Schiano's coloring book (given to all New Jersey newborns) but the truth is that was the right idea. We threw away a decade but we need to reach out to kids who down the road can be part of our fan base.

While it may be an added cost (which short term would be an issue but I believe long term will be quite beneficial), we need to give tailgaters a larger window to enjoy themselves. Open the gates earlier, allow the post game tailgates to run longer. I'll wager heavily that this will eliminate the bulk of the late (to their seats) arrivals and reduce the early departures by a decent number. We need to educate the bulk of our fan base on how to be gameday, bigtime college football fans but the the availability of sufficient tailgate time is something that is currently outside of the fan base's control. The gameday experience is (at most venues) an all day event. We've had fans from schools that have always treated it this way provide very positive comments about the parking/tailgating space and proximity to the stadium. We aren't lacking by much (and in all candor I doubt we'll ever need a lot for RV's) but tailgating time is far too cramped.

We need to stake a claim in territory beyond the state's borders and market that. I remember a decade ago stating that I felt the school needed to do something similar to Howard Schnellenberger's State of Miami (which led to debates from too many on the older Boneyard). We need to publicly proclaim everything east of the Hudson River as being part of the State of UConn and reach out, continually to these spots, making them feel as if they are part of this. I worked in Westchester for the entirety of the first decade of this millenium and (due to basketball success alone) we easily could have claimed it (especially among school aged males) as ours. I'm pretty confident that it is no more than an 1 3/4 hour drive to the Rent from anywhere in any county that borders Connecticut. I know of fans of many schools who drive double that time to and from games on gameday. We need to work at this (and threw away at least a decade of opportunity) but we could in time claim all of this and unquestionably profess to the world that we are the team in NYC and Boston. If this isn't our goal we should just pack up the entire athletic department.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The 11th senior class to experience a full FBS FB season while a student just graduated and only the 7th to experience four years as a student.

All this talk of attendance needs to remember that. If the schedule (conference) and results are worthwhile, attendance will be just fine.

To date we've had four years of novelty, four years of reasonably competitive success, and three years of utter disaster under three separate conference meltdowns. A little stability would help, too.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
J187 do you live in the NYC area (Ffld Cnty included)?

Live in Milford. Commute to NYC daily.

Reaction Score
I still vividly remember the first few years at the Rent (and criticism from many on an older version of this board on how I felt the school should have proceeded at that time) and still believe that we have the potential to double the attendance we had back in 2003-2005 at similar consistency.

As a new (to this level of competition) we needed to cultivate a fan base. There has been a minimal effort at this point but it is still far ahead of what was attempted through at least 2010. The attitude basically was "We're selling out the Rent. Our job is done!" which was absolutely ridiculous. There were easily another 15k-18k potential dedicated fans residing in Fairfield County, an equal number scattered throughout the remainder of the state and another 8k-10k potential dedicated fans residing out of state but within reasonable (for a college football game day) driving distance. One of the ideas I proposed (to the disagreement of some on the older version of this board) was giving tickets to local Boys and Girls clubs, Police Athletic league groups, Pop Warner, middle and high school athletic teams, etc., bringing in fans at that point (who today would be well into their college careers or young alumni age) who ten, fifteen plus years down the road would become paying customers. Many here back in the day made fun of Schiano's coloring book (given to all New Jersey newborns) but the truth is that was the right idea. We threw away a decade but we need to reach out to kids who down the road can be part of our fan base.

While it may be an added cost (which short term would be an issue but I believe long term will be quite beneficial), we need to give tailgaters a larger window to enjoy themselves. Open the gates earlier, allow the post game tailgates to run longer. I'll wager heavily that this will eliminate the bulk of the late (to their seats) arrivals and reduce the early departures by a decent number. We need to educate the bulk of our fan base on how to be gameday, bigtime college football fans but the the availability of sufficient tailgate time is something that is currently outside of the fan base's control. The gameday experience is (at most venues) an all day event. We've had fans from schools that have always treated it this way provide very positive comments about the parking/tailgating space and proximity to the stadium. We aren't lacking by much (and in all candor I doubt we'll ever need a lot for RV's) but tailgating time is far too cramped.

We need to stake a claim in territory beyond the state's borders and market that. I remember a decade ago stating that I felt the school needed to do something similar to Howard Schnellenberger's State of Miami (which led to debates from too many on the older Boneyard). We need to publicly proclaim everything east of the Hudson River as being part of the State of UConn and reach out, continually to these spots, making them feel as if they are part of this. I worked in Westchester for the entirety of the first decade of this millenium and (due to basketball success alone) we easily could have claimed it (especially among school aged males) as ours. I'm pretty confident that it is no more than an 1 3/4 hour drive to the Rent from anywhere in any county that borders Connecticut. I know of fans of many schools who drive double that time to and from games on gameday. We need to work at this (and threw away at least a decade of opportunity) but we could in time claim all of this and unquestionably profess to the world that we are the team in NYC and Boston. If this isn't our goal we should just pack up the entire athletic department.

The adage that winning fixes a lot of problems is always true.

The UCONN football program, has never played a season, where the program was considered a top 25 program, or any kind of contender for anything. That's the unfortunate truth. What kind of ticket sales and following something like that would entail, is entirely speculation. But I speculate that it would be pretty big.

We've enjoyed success - and primarily - success at home - in the Edsall years. Pasqualoni's 3 years, taught everybody I think, how important it was for the program to be successful on our home field in our sports culture here in CT. I hope that no season ticket holder, needs to go through what the 20k or so did in the past year and half - and that is a full calendar year, between home game wins.

All I can think, is that the UCONN football program, to date, 14 years and counting into division 1A, BCS, FBS football, has yet to experience the combination of a winning football program, combined with the entire backing of Husky Mania promotion behind it. We had winning under Edsall, but the program was basically neglected when it comes to the other stuff. Manuel as AD with Herbst as president has brought the changes regarding the promotion, backing, sales etc. Hopefully Diaco can bring the winning part back, and Manuel and Herbst stay around long enough to see it all put together - and/or their successors pick up right where they are.

For the record, I don't think either Herbst or Manuel are going anywhere, and I hope they stay for a long time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Gotcha I just know a LOT of people aren't in CT anymore on top of having crazy schedules and making very little i.e. graduate school. Those of us staying in CT don't have much an excuse, but then, what if their friends with whom they used to attend are now out of state and not buying? Kinda takes away from the experience imo. Just one other thing that comes to mind playing devil's advocate.
I have season tickets with 7 other people and I'm the only one who actually went to UConn. But like a lot of people in CT who didn't go there, they have adopted the school and root just as hard as any alumni. Hopefully others will be as fortunate as I am to have such a good group to hang with every game. If I'm lucky I see some of the college guys at Homecoming, but that's about it.

Reaction Score
I'm as excited about a new coaching stuff as anybody else, but given the ugly results of the last 3 years, it's hard to blame people for not suddenly jumping on the bandwagon of a 3-win team. Start winning football games and people will start showing up and getting hooked on the football experience. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect Diaco's hire to somehow bring in an additional 1500 season ticket holders after last year's debacle plus no Michigan game.

Having reasonable expectations is a start. Play better. Win some games. Start getting a buzz about the program. Winning solves everything. Well, most things.

Reaction Score
My 12 season tickets cost $2,540 +$1,200 in donations to the school + $440 for 4 parking passes = $4,180. I used to have commitments from friends for eight of those tickets. Its now 4. no one is willing to pick up the donation portion, so that's all on me. So its gonna cost me $3,100 this year for my tickets. I'll maybe go to two or three games with my kids. Last year I made the first half of two games, neither were competitive. I can't even give away the rest of my tickets to friends (I live in Fairfield county). I support the athletic department, but not like that anymore. Product is just not good enough and my kids are getting to the age where every Saturday is filled with their own activities.

I'd go in for the seats without the donations, but I don't want to lose the blue parking passes as that is my group's favorite part of the day and the red lots are too disparate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My 12 season tickets cost $2,540 +$1,200 in donations to the school + $440 for 4 parking passes = $4,180. I used to have commitments from friends for eight of those tickets. Its now 4. no one is willing to pick up the donation portion, so that's all on me. So its gonna cost me $3,100 this year for my tickets. I'll maybe go to two or three games with my kids. Last year I made the first half of two games, neither were competitive. I can't even give away the rest of my tickets to friends (I live in Fairfield county). I support the athletic department, but not like that anymore. Product is just not good enough and my kids are getting to the age where every Saturday is filled with their own activities.

I'd go in for the seats without the donations, but I don't want to lose the blue parking passes as that is my group's favorite part of the day and the red lots are too disparate.

They have made a huge mistake
with pricing. They needed to come off hard this year.

I know they don't control the lots but $500 for parking 4 cars is pretty insane.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
They have made a huge mistake with pricing. They needed to come off hard this year. I know they don't control the lots but $500 for parking 4 cars is pretty insane.

They should charge even more for the parking. Nobody goes inside anyway.

Reaction Score

What they should do, if they don't already, is figure out a way to track tickets scanned - when, tied to parking passes. the scanner and barcoding technology can't be hard or expensive.

My guess is that people with red or grey parking passes, would be linked with tickets scanned at the gates, more often and earlier than those in the blue.

you'd also get a good idea of how many people over in the other lots actually make it into the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I know you are just being sarcastic but they need to come to grips with the fact casual fans are turned off by the AAC. Lowering ticket prices is always dangerous, but I don't think they move the needle until they adjust them down overall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What they should do, if they don't already, is figure out a way to track tickets scanned - when, tied to parking passes. the scanner and barcoding technology can't be hard or expensive.

My guess is that people with red or grey parking passes, would be linked with tickets scanned at the gates, more often and earlier than those in the blue.

you'd also get a good idea of how many people over in the other lots actually make it into the game.

I scan into most games twice and don't buy parking from the school with my tickets. Good luck tracking me Big Brother.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I know you are just being sarcastic but they need to come to grips with the fact casual fans are turned off by the AAC. Lowering ticket prices is always dangerous, but I don't think they move the needle until they adjust them down overall.

Yes I was being sarcastic.

But to your point I don't think you move the needle without dropping them a ton or killing the donations. Which on a net basis probably is a huge loss financially.

And we might sell out for the next three years and not get a bid. There might not be further expansion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I was being sarcastic.

But to your point I don't think you move the needle without dropping them a ton or killing the donations. Which on a net basis probably is a huge loss financially.

And we might sell out for the next three years and not get a bid. There might not be further expansion.

Agreed it's a tough spot. I just don't know if leaving them where they are actually maximizes revenue in the medium term.

Reaction Score
Agreed it's a tough spot. I just don't know if leaving them where they are actually maximizes revenue in the medium term.

My feeling is that within a relevant range it is binary. People want to go or they don't want to go. I think the time commitment for those on the fence (especially when they don't love the product) is getting in the way far more than the money.

Reaction Score
I would also add that after the Michigan game, it showed that if we have marquis names in the building there will be sellouts. So if that's what the B1G is worried about, they shouldn't be. We would put 60K in the seats if we had Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, etc in here on a regular basis.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My feeling is that within a relevant range it is binary. People want to go or they don't want to go. I think the time commitment for those on the fence (especially when they don't love the product) is getting in the way far more than the money.

It might be. I do think going to games is a habit. I think people are more likely to get into a habit when they are season ticket holders, instead of having them pluck off more attractive games.

If the tickets are sold and distributed in August you aren't as much at the mercy of your record and the weather. While people certainly aren't afraid to stay away when things go badly there is still a better chance someone attends when the ticket is already sold than if you need to sell it to them in October or November.

Reaction Score
Since I did not renew I have gotten phone calls from UConn athletic department, including one from a tennis play and today I got an email from the athletic department basically begging me to re-up. Is this normal?

Reaction Score
I would also add that after the Michigan game, it showed that if we have marquis names in the building there will be sellouts. So if that's what the B1G is worried about, they shouldn't be. We would put 60K in the seats if we had Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, etc in here on a regular basis.
Way too many MI fans in the seats. 30% at least. Embarrassing if you ask me. We do not have MI on the schedule this year. Despite Diaco's enthusiasm an uphill battle with our lukewarm fan base. Hard to see 25K. Hope that I am wrong.

Reaction Score
You know at least 30% how, Mr Sunshine? I was there and admit quite a few Michigan fans were at the Rent but not 12'oo0+
Yeah right.

UConn_20130921_2.jpg

Reaction Score
rich1122 said:
Way too many MI fans in the seats. 30% at least. Embarrassing if you ask me. We do not have MI on the schedule this year. Despite Diaco's enthusiasm an uphill battle with our lukewarm fan base. Hard to see 25K. Hope that I am wrong.

Sure but how is that bad for the B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek