How long will the Big 10 season last? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How long will the Big 10 season last?

Reaction Score
30 people under the age of 40 have died in Wisconsin, 0 people under the age of 20 have died.

Reaction Score
99.99% get the sniffles. Every prediction of doom has been wrong and will remain so because the data doesn’t lie.
So say the 250,000 dead. Which, by the way was the worst case prediction from UW Back in June if we did what we seemed to be doing. And of course that is exactly what we did. BTW, if we keep doing it, which seems to be the case, we could double th at number by the end of January. But hey, we now live in a faceless society and we want our sports. Just for a bit of perspective, 407000 American service men were killed In WW II. But hey, most people get the sniffles.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So say the 250,000 dead. Which, by the way was the worst case prediction from UW Back in June if we did what we seemed to be doing. And of course that is exactly what we did. BTW, if we keep doing it, which seems to be the case, we could double th at number by the end of January. But hey, we now live in a faceless society and we want our sports. Just for a bit of perspective, 407000 American service men were killed In WW II. But hey, most people get the sniffles.
Yeah okay, but you are ignoring the obvious here and that is the fact that the vast majority of the deaths are those over age 70 who otherwise would succumbing to many other illnesses like flu, pneumonia, heart attack, etc.

Particularly for those over 80 you have to be comparing the the death data with the other ordinary death data for a benchmark.

Reaction Score
Yeah okay, but you are ignoring the obvious here and that is the fact that the vast majority of the deaths are those over age 70 who otherwise would succumbing to many other illnesses like flu, pneumonia, heart attack, etc.

Particularly for those over 80 you have to be comparing the the death data with the other ordinary death data for a benchmark.

Wow

Reaction Score

Those people would not have died if they had no contracted COVID. Plain and simple. You're using anecdotal evidence to prove a crappy point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Those people would not have died if they had no contracted COVID. Plain and simple. You're using anecdotal evidence to prove a crappy point.
What anecdotal evidence?

Actuarial science for mortality and lifespan is completely relevant when evaluating COVid 19 for all ages and particularly integral to evaluating disparate impact on seniors. Furthermore there is a lot of co-mortality that is skewing the senior death numbers and there is nothing controversial about that simple fact. It will take perhaps a decade for the scientific community to evaluate this data to tell us a more precise story and better guestimate the avg shortening of life span COVid has had vs each cohorts avg expected life. In rawest terms, the average lifespan in the US is about 78.5 years and thats a benchmark many of us use conscientiously or sub-conscientiously when evaluating COVid's impact on seniors.

Reaction Score
Is that a......challenge?
I was just hoping that you could explain to all the "people" that have no clue what Herd Immunity means. I find it fascinating that of all the "people" on the BY, you're the only one that knows what it is. If you read your original post, you did lump all of us together.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...says the guy ignoring every other outcome but death. Some benchmark

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
...says the guy ignoring every other outcome but death. Some benchmark
I'm not ignoring other risks, there just is very little good data to make discussion of the other risks very constructive. And when we talk about those other outcomes its not out of line to consider the other comes from the flu and pneumonia for perspective when we finally have some good data that can try to flush out causality from coincidence. Its will be years before we have good info.

In the meantime it seems the vast majority of people, rather overwhelmingly, are choosing to get out there and do things on a limited basis. I know of virtually no shut ins today...while perhaps 40% of my neighbors were near complete shut ins the months of March. April, May and into early June.

Reaction Score

It's funnier if you imagine giving this speech in a nursing home.

"Listen. Some of you are going to die. This is inevitable. But I need to watch UConn play UMass four times. I am sure you all understand the sacrifice I have decided you're going to make for me."

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

You sound like a real jerk.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's funnier if you imagine giving this speech in a nursing home.

"Listen. Some of you are going to die. This is inevitable. But I need to watch UConn play UMass four times. I am sure you all understand the sacrifice I have decided you're going to make for me."

Sure, delivered the right way it could be a hoot...oscar stuff. :confused:

Of course there is no more direct connection between a UMass-UConn football game and say the 11 flights landing this afternoon at Hartford alone or the myriad of other daily contact moments in our state that occur hourly, but yeah lets try to make that silly connection anyway.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I’ll pass this along to Jim Calhoun that you think he deserves to die so you can go to Gampel.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’ll pass this along to Jim Calhoun that you think he deserves to die so you can go to Gampel.
The logical leaps here are appalling. When did I say anyone deserved to die? When Where? When did I say need to go to Gampel?? When, where?

Is the chart below published daily by the state of CT somehow unknown to some people? Its mis-titled - its the deaths by age bracket for CT as of 342pm today.

1604086961843.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s terribly tragic. But, it has little to do with the question at hand given what we know, unless you fall into an age or comorbidity cohort that is vulnerable. Further, the death rate has fallen as better therapeutic regimes have been discovered. Speaking of WWII, you realize over 85 Million deaths are attributed, the bulk of which were in Europe and Pacific theaters. We are relatively blessed and insulated from the horrors much of the world has experienced.

Reaction Score

That's not true at all. "Community Pnuemonia" and it's various derivatives are a large source of deaths in older folks. Lung based failure basically due to old age. Covid works in a similar way. Diminishes lung capacity, and results in death. It's impossible to determine the breakdown, but needeless to say there is overlap.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, if you go into a nursing home, the median stay before death is 3 months for men and 8 months for women. The worst part of COVID for elderly in nursing homes is the loneliness as family members are not allowed to visit.

Reaction Score
I was just hoping that you could explain to all the "people" that have no clue what Herd Immunity means. I find it fascinating that of all the "people" on the BY, you're the only one that knows what it is. If you read your original post, you did lump all of us together.
Please show me where I said I was the only one, or added anyone specifically. Good luck on the search.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Um you sound like someone not appreciative of science and statistics. That's fine, just stand clear of others.
No...I’m just not a jerk. You are a big one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom