• Since we became a national power

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • Recently (Ollie era)

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1997 when 96.5 TIC-FM did one of their UCONN montage songs and it was the Women's team only. I decided that my hatred of the local college team was severely misplaced and jumped on the bandwagon.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Started listening and going to games when I was in high school, 1963-65. Loved listening to WTIC but it was like fingernails on a chalkboard whenever George Erlick (SP) referred to the team as "the UConn's" instead of "the Huskies"

That may not have been entirely Ehrlich's fault. He would have been more than old enough at the time to remember the era when the uniforms the BB team wore had "UConns" emblazoned across the chest, 1940's I believe.

I agree it didn't make a whole lot of sense, unless perhaps the uniform manufacturer screwed up and they didn't want to bother, or didn't have the time to change them. Maybe someone here knows the real story behind that.

I have a friend that spells it UCons, as in convicts. He's just scratchy because he's an Arizona alum. I can find no evidence that Arizona has ever defeated any UConn team in any sport, a fact I point out to him every chance I get. Poor Loren Woods is probably still recovering from the tread marks Okafor left up and down his back.

Reaction Score
I started listening to games on WTIC radio in the Joey Whelan, Tony Hanson, Jim Abro days under Dee Rowe. We got the Waterbury paper in my house, and Hanson playing there was a big deal. Later, when Aleksinas transferred in, my fandom was cemented since he's from my home town and was kind of a big (pun intended) deal around there.

Reaction Score
Hugh Greer was my Dad's chemistry teacher and coach at Ellsworth High School in South Windsor. Dad held him in the highest regard. We followed UConn from the moment Mr. Greer was hired. Wife and I had seasons tix from 1970 - 2004.

Reaction Score
Pre-Perno.....back before mosh-pits, when a friend could be passed up and down the bleachers, over our heads, in the field house.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Started paying attention in the year of the NIT championship. First game was against Syracuse in 1988. Tie game with 8 seconds left. Jeff King can't get the ball in bounds, and throws it up for grabs. Steven Thompson intercepts and gets a breakaway dunk to win the game. I was 11.

I never saw a player look more dejected than Jeff King looked after he threw that pass. That's why I was so happy he played so well in the NIT. My favorite picture in Gampel is one with him and Gamble sitting on the backboard in MSG after the title win.

Reaction Score
Freshman year in 2010. I didn't really follow basketball before then. Started going to games since I won the ticket lottery and then I was hooked. I was very spoiled getting two championships while I was at school.

Reaction Score
I started listening to games on WTIC radio in the Joey Whelan, Tony Hanson, Jim Abro days under Dee Rowe. We got the Waterbury paper in my house, and Hanson playing there was a big deal. Later, when Aleksinas transferred in, my fandom was cemented since he's from my home town and was kind of a big (pun intended) deal around there.

Reaction Score
Please it's Joe Whelton. Randy Smith of the JI started calling him Joey. For those of us who know him it's Joe. Also what's up with Jimmy Calhoun. Nobody calls him Jimmy. It is Coach. And Ray Ray?

Reaction Score
Please it's Joe Whelton. Randy Smith of the JI started calling him Joey. For those of us who know him it's Joe. Also what's up with Jimmy Calhoun. Nobody calls him Jimmy. It is Coach. And Ray Ray?

They called him Joey on radio and TV though for those of us who weren't as fortunate to know him. Conn Ed is fine.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Since the late 70's. Perno into the Big East era. Got into it listening to the Arnold Dean show. This was during the great Yankee/Red Sox rivalry and there was always
something on that topic year round. But UConn BB got to be interesting talk and I started getting into it, especially with the Big East and getting Corny Thompson. I think they had Marty Glickman (Knick Legend announcer) doing the radio the first season. Dean had Rita Napolitano of Eastern basketball on a lot and they would go over the other teams in depth as well as UConn. Along with the baseball rivalries I usually listened to that show every night. With the advent of Jim Calhoun, what can you say? His "us against the world" attitude and love for UConn has even eclipsed the Yankees in my life as a fan. (btw it was Bill Raftery who called him " Jimmy"). He and those teams turned the tide
and the rest is history. Hope KO gets the ship get righted and can find a way to pull these guys together.

Reaction Score
Since the late 70's. Perno into the Big East era. Got into it listening to the Arnold Dean show. This was during the great Yankee/Red Sox rivalry and there was always
something on that topic year round. But UConn BB got to be interesting talk and I started getting into it, especially with the Big East and getting Corny Thompson. I think they had Marty Glickman (Knick Legend announcer) doing the radio the first season. Dean had Rita Napolitano of Eastern basketball on a lot and they would go over the other teams in depth as well as UConn. Along with the baseball rivalries I usually listened to that show every night. With the advent of Jim Calhoun, what can you say? His "us against the world" attitude and love for UConn has even eclipsed the Yankees in my life as a fan. (btw it was Bill Raftery who called him " Jimmy"). He and those teams turned the tide
and the rest is history. Hope KO gets the ship get righted and can find a way to pull these guys together.

Remember going to "Coaches" and the Arnold Dean show was in the booth next to the main bar.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Always considered myself a "fan" as someone whose parents both went to UConn in a state with no other college sports draw. Yet the "obsession" became real in 2009 when we did our first "NCAA bracket pool" amongst our 11th grade selves. I remember having UConn in the title game and watching them storm to the FF was an incredible experience. Seeing the team you picked to win it all, knocking opponents out one by one in the biggest college basketball event of the year was spectacular, until that MSU game of course.

Reaction Score
damn, didn't realize how many long-timers there were here. cool thread!

my dad was class of '75. i was born in 1991 and my first uconn memory is my dad screaming celebrating the '99 championship. by the time okafor, gordon, and '04 came around i was hooked. i graduated in 2014 and managed to experience two mbb championships in my time on campus.

Reaction Score
Since Donyell Marshall, being a New York kid and Knicks fan, didn't really have much guidance or options at the college level.

So when I was 7 or 8 years old, three college players caught my eye....

Calbert Cheaney
Isiah Rider
Donyell Marshall

The final decision was made to be a Husky fan was because their uniforms, still think they have the best looking uni's in the sport.

Plus I hate red, #Indiana & UNLV

Reaction Score
It started in 1961 rooting for Ed Slomcenski. Dad and I listened religiously on WTIC. Toby Kimball was a god. Hugh Greer was the coach. Class of 71 (good education...great wife.. class of 74) season tickets for years ... there the night the Civic center collapsed. Remember listening to games on WTIC on hill tops in Ontario on business trips. Moved west of SYR in 89 and threatened to put "SUcks" on the end of our barn but decided to be neighborly and still regret it. Raised 3 sons who are loyal and proud. Thank god for cable..especially SNY. UConn forever!

Reaction Score
Sorry on Whelton. I typed it up from memory, and I should know better than to trust my memory. I do, however, pretty clearly remember the 'TIC game crew calling him Joey. I'll be sure to call him Joe should I ever meet him though.

Reaction Score
Born in 1959, used to listen on my Grandmother's radio. You turned it on and it took about 5 minutes to warm up. Remember first teams had Bob Stack, Bob Boyd and Ron Hrubala (sp). Also have a vague recollection that one of the announcers would call the Husky dog the Husky Bear. Not even sure if that really happened , but again I vaguely believe it did.

Fell in love with junior college transfer Jimmy Foster and have never stopped following them. Went to UConn and graduated in 82. Have had only 1 bet in my life ( wife's idea), and I named it Calhoun

Staak and Boyd threw a lot of jump shots out in my driveway they just don't know it LOL and Jimmy Foster was the reason I had a pretty good left hand from my junior days in the driveway - born '59 also so our memories very similar for sure.

Reaction Score
Came from a family of UConn alums. First game I went to was in '81 vs St. John's at the Civic Center. (UConn won by a point, & didn't beat the Johnnies again for 8 years.) Really started to follow them closely around 1983-84.

One thing about Perno that made a difference during the Calhoun transition - he drafted Cliff Robinson.

Reaction Score
Came from a family of UConn alums. First game I went to was in '81 vs St. John's at the Civic Center. (UConn won by a point, & didn't beat the Johnnies again for 8 years.) Really started to follow them closely around 1983-84.

One thing about Perno that made a difference during the Calhoun transition - he drafted Cliff Robinson.

Yep he recruited Cliffy but it took JC to figure out how good he was. Dom drove me crazy taking him out of the game for the dumbest things his freshman year, it seemed he did not know the talent this kid brought to the program! But both Cliff and Phil did help JC for the NIT title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom