How long do you use your razor blades before changing them? Reprise. | The Boneyard

How long do you use your razor blades before changing them? Reprise.

How long do you use your razor blades before changing them?

• 1 week

• 2 weeks

• 1 month

• 2 months

• 3 months

• 4 months

• Six months

• 1 year

• Over one year

• Other, explain below

Results are only viewable after voting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A while back I posted this question and I was surprised by how long people used their blades. At the time I was going like 5 days, using a electric on the weekends. The key, as I was told during the original thread, is wiping your razor dry after shaving. It works. Now I am up to 4 months. I probably could go longer.

So, I'm down to three razor blades a year. I remember one of you maniacs went like a year and half, which I have to believe is like shaving with a steak knife (or worse, a hotel razor.)

Reaction Score
Shave maybe 6x a year (after hair+beard gets cut). Haven’t changed the blade for a few years. Only do neck below the beard, and cleanup beardline on my cheeks. Doesn’t need to be a really smooth shave.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've had a short beard for awhile, so really only "shave" cheeks, neck and under lower lip. I usually let stubble go for 3-4 days, then hit it with a trimmer, so by time I break out the razor, it's not too thick. So something like 90-100 shaves per year. Last year I asked for a good old-timey single blade razor for my birthday. Wife got me a Merkur. 14 months later I'm still on the first blade, but I can tell it's on its last legs.

Reaction Score
I remember my Mom's Dad back in the 60's used a straight blade that he sharpened on a leather strap. No idea how that works. I hack away until the bitter end with plastic handle razors. Currently going 2 months until it hits the garbage pail.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Safety razor. New blade after 3 shaves. They’re cheap, so why not?

CL82

Reaction Score
Safety razor. New blade after 3 shaves. They’re cheap, so why not?
When the first thread started I asked my wife how much she pays for Schick Sensor 5 blade razors. She said nothing. Apparently she does some kind of coupon magic and she actually makes some nominal amount of money getting them. Apparently, that's not possible anymore. No net profit from coupons.

My thought process was the same as yours at the time, but I figured I'd give it a go. It turns out that a broken in blade actually shaves a little better. At least for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I use the Harry's blades for face and scalp. Up until some external events about 15 months ago, I could go about 10 shaves before I could start feeling the blade dull. Now, I can get 3+ weeks on a blade. I use the Cremo shave lotion and that's it.

Have actually gotten in to using witch haze wipes after shaving the face to help with cleaning out pores and just giving a good refreshing feeling. Shave, shower, hazel.

Reaction Score
I used to go a long time, few weeks. now I just use electric clippers and go with the fuzzy look. blame it on covid.

Reaction Score
I use the Schick Hydro 5 Sensitive blades, I think they are a little bit better quality compared to the Gillette blades. Still, after about 3 shaves, and I only shave once a week, I can notice a lot more razor bumps and irritation compared to when I first used the blade. Thats the case even if I use any of the sensitive skin shaving cream.

Reaction Score
I use the Harry's blades for face and scalp. Up until some external events about 15 months ago, I could go about 10 shaves before I could start feeling the blade dull. Now, I can get 3+ weeks on a blade. I use the Cremo shave lotion and that's it.

Have actually gotten in to using witch haze wipes after shaving the face to help with cleaning out pores and just giving a good refreshing feeling. Shave, shower, hazel.
There is a company in East Hampton CT that processes witch hazel and sells it. Dickinson Brands which is part of American Distilling on Rt 66. They get much of their raw witch hazel from Meshomasic State Forest and other local wild lands. When you take the Steam Train in Essex there is an old Dickinson factory there with a witch as the top of the weathervane. Good local company.

Reaction Score
Shave my head twice a week with disposable razors. After about 6 shaves it’s time to change. Wife got a value pack from Costco. Generic brand

Reaction Score
Lol, you aren't wrong, but look at this way. No one is trashing recruits or other posters here, so this is actually a net positive.

You're welcome.
You and Karaban suck.

CL82

Reaction Score
I use the Schick Hydro 5 Sensitive blades, I think they are a little bit better quality compared to the Gillette blades. Still, after about 3 shaves, and I only shave once a week, I can notice a lot more razor bumps and irritation compared to when I first used the blade. Thats the case even if I use any of the sensitive skin shaving cream.
Dry the blades. It is a game changer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is a company in East Hampton CT that processes witch hazel and sells it. Dickinson Brands which is part of American Distilling on Rt 66. They get much of their raw witch hazel from Meshomasic State Forest and other local wild lands. When you take the Steam Train in Essex there is an old Dickinson factory there with a witch as the top of the weathervane. Good local company.

I use the T.N.Dickinson brand products. Was unaware of the CT connection.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
When the first thread started I asked my wife how much she pays for Schick Sensor 5 blade razors. She said nothing. Apparently she does some kind of coupon magic and she actually makes some nominal amount of money getting them. Apparently, that's not possible anymore. No net profit from coupons.

My thought process was the same as yours at the time, but I figured I'd give it a go. It turns out that a broken in blade actually shaves a little better. At least for me.

Mine take a downturn about the 4th shave. Because my blades are easily identifiable per-side (either numbering or logo on one side), it's easy to track 3.

And by "cheap" i mean a quarter. My last 100 blade purchase was expensive at $22 (wanted to try something new). I've paid <$10 regularly.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Bic or other safety razor with three blades. Good for about 10 days or a little less.

Reaction Score
I shave 2-3 times a week. My blades last about 2-3 months. And yes, I do dry them.

Reaction Score
The owners house is a palace in Glastonbury. I sold him a couple of his two dozen AC systems. Nice guy.

Reaction Score
I agree with Fishy. We need the 2021/22 season to start pronto.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom