How Kia Has Grown Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Kia Has Grown Up

Reaction Score
Kia was always going to be an important part of UConn's team: she got major minutes from her very first games. A very tough-nosed defender, that's always a great basis for a good relationship with the Coach.

But we all saw her struggles, especially on offense. Couldn't hit her jumper consistently; insisted on a Euro-step drive that got her to the basket, but way too often blew the lay-up. Eventually, after a terrible offensive game in (I think) Feb. of her sophomore year, she had a public crying jag, for which Geno called her out. We might say that that moment turned her around.

Still, her Olympic summer was far more down than up. One sensational game, but otherwise a lot of forced and ill-advised shots. Unfair for her to have to carry such expectations against mostly professionals on other teams, but there it is.

This year, she's got tremendous confidence in her outside shot and, giving up on the Euro-step power drive, she almost never misses a lay-up.

But, what struck me most was a play today against Temple early in the 3rd, when she went coast-to-coast, and, after making the shot, backpedaled up court to guard against a fast break. Just perfect. But more than perfect, it is her overall body strength that is really working for her now. Kia came to UConn fit, but after 3 years of weight training and aerobics her body is uber-fit and really helps her mental game.

The beauty of WCBB is that almost all of them stay 4 years, and we can watch the developmental arc--both mental and physical--of a confused and scared kid who is just months out of high school to a confident young adult who is months away from playing professional ball.

There is a bunch of UConn freshman and sophomores who will go through this same developmental arc. Stay tuned....and be patient.

Son of a gun---I though KIA was 6 ft 1 inch when she arrived---I hope she hits 6'4 Uconn needs that NOW.
It would appear if a kid can make it a year or two they usually stay the rest--the balance scale tilts towards many more opting 4 than those opting less than 1.
Kia arrived motivate to improve her physical fitness among other things--I suggest Gabby (look at those arms and shoulders, woW) and the new kid--Dangerous--and glamorous Dangerfield--her arms and upper torso any body builder would sell their Mercedes for. Can't stop there--KLS too.
Working to build the right muscles and body strength is much easier when friends join in the fun..
If you note (as you have) the Frosh/Sophs are not devoid of using the weight room--you can see the increases since June.
That Canadian woman as a leader and with world game experience for 6 years or so--is an essential piece for any run for the gold. Not one thing about KiA I don't love--she's special..

Reaction Score
I love Kia and agree with pretty much everything you say, with some qualifications.

First team AA? Who knows? But so what? At best, that would mean there are 5 other players in Div. I (1 or more of whom may be on UConn) who are a better basketball player in all of WCBB. More likely, it means there are two (and only two) who are "better" guards. I can live with that.

Second, much depends on what one means by a "really good WNBA player". Even if one does not rise to that level (and this is giving the characterization every benefit of the doubt), it does not follow that one is not, minimally, a "good" WNBA player--capable of providing serviceable performance at a professional level, and (as I would suspect from Kia) the ability to do so for a number of years. I think Kia is every bit as likely to fulfill those requirements as any guard coming out WCBB at this time. As noted, Kia is smart--including smart enough to know her limitations. True, she may not "create her own shot". But she knows how to find the shot she can make. And she may be one of the best players in the country at getting to the free throw line. Aside from that, she provides (as you properly noted) many of the other dimensions to an all-around excellent basketball player. Her grit and competitiveness will always serve her, including on the professional level.

There are professional exemplars of the game, not noted for their athleticism, ability to create, scoring acumen, and so on. I'd say Kia would comfortably fit among them.

I don't know whether to love your posting on not!! It appears you deliver with one hand and take with the other.
My take on KIA ---is much of what you say on toughness. Then I'd add she has years and years of international experience with Women when she was a girl. She is tough. She is intelligent. She knows the game. Geno has prepared ALL of his top player to play in the WNBA. Will she be a Stewie? Or Moriah or Sue Bird, DT ?? I couldn't tell you right now--give me a year to look. Your last 3 lines are especially true. But KIA has created her OWN shot any number of times most importantly when her Canadian Team beat the Stewie/Moriah USA team--she created her own shot for something like 33 points, not all 3 balls. She too took her Canadian team further the last time out than any would expect--on her scoring abilities.
KIA is a special BB player but more importantly a special person--don't tell me or her what she can or cannot do--I see no limitations. I'm KIA blind.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
C.D. to the troops: I need you guys to start kickin' and takin' names.The first thing you need is these here pointy shoes and the clipboard is to assist you in the second part.

Cowboy boots (especially ones with sharp pointed toes w/ metal tips) = pointy shoes. My father use to call cowboy boots "ass kicking" shoes. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Kia was always going to be an important part of UConn's team: she got major minutes from her very first games. A very tough-nosed defender, that's always a great basis for a good relationship with the Coach.

But we all saw her struggles, especially on offense. Couldn't hit her jumper consistently; insisted on a Euro-step drive that got her to the basket, but way too often blew the lay-up. Eventually, after a terrible offensive game in (I think) Feb. of her sophomore year, she had a public crying jag, for which Geno called her out. We might say that that moment turned her around.

Still, her Olympic summer was far more down than up. One sensational game, but otherwise a lot of forced and ill-advised shots. Unfair for her to have to carry such expectations against mostly professionals on other teams, but there it is.

This year, she's got tremendous confidence in her outside shot and, giving up on the Euro-step power drive, she almost never misses a lay-up.

But, what struck me most was a play today against Temple early in the 3rd, when she went coast-to-coast, and, after making the shot, backpedaled up court to guard against a fast break. Just perfect. But more than perfect, it is her overall body strength that is really working for her now. Kia came to UConn fit, but after 3 years of weight training and aerobics her body is uber-fit and really helps her mental game.

The beauty of WCBB is that almost all of them stay 4 years, and we can watch the developmental arc--both mental and physical--of a confused and scared kid who is just months out of high school to a confident young adult who is months away from playing professional ball.

There is a bunch of UConn freshman and sophomores who will go through this same developmental arc. Stay tuned....and be patient.

In a word.................Kia has matured. :cool:

Reaction Score
I agree to a large degree with Connie's comments and somewhat with Broadwayva.
I do believe Kia will be a good solid WNBA player because of the balance of her skill set, personality, drive and so many other things she brings to her team and the game.
While she may truly we'll be the glue to this very talented, capable team, she may also be the fifth or sixth best player on this team.
I believe one needs to strongly root and care for their teams players especially a superb leader like Kia, but also need to truly see the players and the team clearly.
Bronx23

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As some of you may recall, I have always seen a close parallel between Kia Nurse and Kelly Faris as basketball players. I wonder if that will continue at the next level. If it does, Kia's pro career is likely to disappoint some of those who are writing here, just as Kelly's career disappointed (and surprised) me. I really thought that after she learned to shoot the 3 reliably as a UConn senior, she would be able to score enough in the WNBA to be an important contributor to her team. But for whatever reason, her 3-point shot deserted her in the pros, and as a result (although she still played good defense and made plays) there were too many games where she had a goose egg in the points column, or maybe 1 or 2 points. You can't survive and contribute in the WNBA if that is your profile.

Kia does have a better 3-point shot now than Kelly did as a senior, so that may not happen to her. Still, she is hardly an offensive artist (any more than Kelly was), and she may not be fast enough to defend pro guards.

I think she will go late in the first round, just as Kelly did. I hope she doesn't go to the Sun, because it will look like they took a UConn player just because she was from UConn (again).

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is a non sequitur , save for it involving Kia. This kind of stuff always blows me away. "Last week's bye week for the NHL's Edmonton Oilers came at a perfect time for defenseman Darnell Nurse. Forty-eight hours after scoring the first overtime goal and second game-winning goal of his career in a victory over the Vegas Golden Knights, Nurse was at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas, a week ago tonight to watch his younger sister play for the first time as a collegian." I understand it, yet I find it hard to fathom. Walker takes Auriemma's advice, takes action

Reaction Score
If I were voting for a UConn player for All-America right now, it'd be Kia. She's been really solid. Lou has played like an All-American, too, but her injuries have held her back. She might well still make it though.
Was thinking just the other day about this as I have a ton of respect for what Kia has done here. Having met her a few times, her personality is as big as her game and her smile. Having said that my thoughts were what would the headlines read?
Sacre Bleu Canadian Is All-American! ;)

Reaction Score
It appears you deliver with one hand and take with the other.
My point is straightforward. By all appearances, Kia is not and may never be a transcendent player in her sport. She is not Maya Moore, or DT, or Tamika Catchings, etc. I think the OP effectively makes that point. Fine. I can live with that. Doesn't mean Kia is not or cannot become a good, perhaps very good professional basketball player. Who knows? We may be looking back in 20 years and talking about Kia as the Cal Ripkin of women's basketball. You just never know how things may turn out. Time will tell. She's sure off to a good start.

Reaction Score
My point is straightforward. By all appearances, Kia is not and may never be a transcendent player in her sport. She is not Maya Moore, or DT, or Tamika Catchings, etc. I think the OP effectively makes that point. Fine. I can live with that. Doesn't mean Kia is not or cannot become a good, perhaps very good professional basketball player. Who knows? We may be looking back in 20 years and talking about Kia as the Cal Ripkin of women's basketball. You just never know how things may turn out. Time will tell. She's sure off to a good start.

No offense intended, meant, or given. I could discuss/argue that Kia has exceptional high level (Olympic, etc) with her Canadian team for 6 or probably more years against the best talent in the world (including playing the USA team).
But I assume you will feel the same and I shall always say of KIA, never say never, so let us wait a year or so and see how she does. Is there any value is killing the horse you are riding until its necessary?? Did I say Kia is my Canadian woman. I like the way you think on everything except KIA.

Reaction Score
No offense intended, meant, or given. I could discuss/argue that Kia has exceptional high level (Olympic, etc) with her Canadian team for 6 or probably more years against the best talent in the world (including playing the USA team).
But I assume you will feel the same and I shall always say of KIA, never say never, so let us wait a year or so and see how she does. Is there any value is killing the horse you are riding until its necessary?? Did I say Kia is my Canadian woman. I like the way you think on everything except KIA.
I think we are of like minds re. Kia in pretty much every respect. I posted a few weeks ago (I think) that she already arguably qualifies as among the five greatest guards in UConn history. In many ways, she is the very embodiment and apotheosis of the UConn player--hard-working; tenacious; smart; poised; competitive; a team-player; great passer; greater defender; contributor on "off" nights; leader; passionate; articulate; outgoing; mature beyond her years; a role model in virtually every respect. The world is a much better place with people like Kia in it. And I am thankful to have witnessed her development. She gives us a lot to look forward to.

Reaction Score
I think we are of like minds re. Kia in pretty much every respect. I posted a few weeks ago (I think) that she already arguably qualifies as among the five greatest guards in UConn history. In many ways, she is the very embodiment and apotheosis of the UConn player--hard-working; tenacious; smart; poised; competitive; a team-player; great passer; greater defender; contributor on "off" nights; leader; passionate; articulate; outgoing; mature beyond her years; a role model in virtually every respect. The world is a much better place with people like Kia in it. And I am thankful to have witnessed her development. She gives us a lot to look forward to.
I could not agree more with any posting than this one. NICE, just nice. Thanks

Reaction Score
My response likely won't be very popular here.
Kia is a truly wonderful college player who puts in and gets out everything that is possible out of her abilities. She is as hard nosed a player as there is in WCB. She plays relentless defense and is now a very good shooter. She's very bright, well spoken and focused.
In terms of first team AA or a really good WNBA player I don't see it. I don't think she has the quickness and innate athletic ability to be a top notch pro player. From all I've seen she isn't able to create her own shot.
I'm sorry but while I don't know what this team would do without her, many here might be getting a tad carried away.
Bronx23

I can't agree with you on this one. I think she'll be very successful in the pros.

Depending on the team and defensive strategy, Kia is often assigned to "shutting down" the best player on the other team. If she's not quick enough, I would assume Geno would not have given her this assignment. I think all coaches would love a defensive stopper.

I think you'll be surprised to see her "create her own shot" by watching tapes of the Canada national team. This is what Geno had to say about Kia in the 2015 Pan Am Finals.

Highlights of Kia in the FIBA Americas Women's Championship. She was voted the MVP.

Kia Nurse (Canada) - MVP - 2015 FIBA Americas Women's Championship

Carnac

Reaction Score

Many players have improved their overall game once they get to the professional level. I gave you Elizabeth Williams and Tiffany Hayes as but 2 examples. It's impossible to project a player's success plateau while they're still in college.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what you guys are talking about.. Kia was a mature player when she arrived at UConn, how many players at UConn can you remember who became a starter as soon as she did? The only limit she has is she can’t grow taller! She can’t be more mature, any more of that will make her an old lady.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom