How Kia Has Grown Up | The Boneyard

How Kia Has Grown Up

Reaction Score
Kia was always going to be an important part of UConn's team: she got major minutes from her very first games. A very tough-nosed defender, that's always a great basis for a good relationship with the Coach.

But we all saw her struggles, especially on offense. Couldn't hit her jumper consistently; insisted on a Euro-step drive that got her to the basket, but way too often blew the lay-up. Eventually, after a terrible offensive game in (I think) Feb. of her sophomore year, she had a public crying jag, for which Geno called her out. We might say that that moment turned her around.

Still, her Olympic summer was far more down than up. One sensational game, but otherwise a lot of forced and ill-advised shots. Unfair for her to have to carry such expectations against mostly professionals on other teams, but there it is.

This year, she's got tremendous confidence in her outside shot and, giving up on the Euro-step power drive, she almost never misses a lay-up.

But, what struck me most was a play today against Temple early in the 3rd, when she went coast-to-coast, and, after making the shot, backpedaled up court to guard against a fast break. Just perfect. But more than perfect, it is her overall body strength that is really working for her now. Kia came to UConn fit, but after 3 years of weight training and aerobics her body is uber-fit and really helps her mental game.

The beauty of WCBB is that almost all of them stay 4 years, and we can watch the developmental arc--both mental and physical--of a confused and scared kid who is just months out of high school to a confident young adult who is months away from playing professional ball.

There is a bunch of UConn freshman and sophomores who will go through this same developmental arc. Stay tuned....and be patient.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Kia was always going to be an important part of UConn's team: she got major minutes from her very first games. A very tough-nosed defender, that's always a great basis for a good relationship with the Coach.

But we all saw her struggles, especially on offense. Couldn't hit her jumper consistently; insisted on a Euro-step drive that got her to the basket, but way too often blew the lay-up. Eventually, after a terrible offensive game in (I think) Feb. of her sophomore year, she had a public crying jag, for which Geno called her out. We might say that that moment turned her around.

Still, her Olympic summer was far more down than up. One sensational game, but otherwise a lot of forced and ill-advised shots. Unfair for her to have to carry such expectations against mostly professionals on other teams, but there it is.

This year, she's got tremendous confidence in her outside shot and, giving up on the Euro-step power drive, she almost never misses a lay-up.

But, what struck me most was a play today against Temple early in the 3rd, when she went coast-to-coast, and, after making the shot, backpedaled up court to guard against a fast break. Just perfect. But more than perfect, it is her overall body strength that is really working for her now. Kia came to UConn fit, but after 3 years of weight training and aerobics her body is uber-fit and really helps her mental game.

The beauty of WCBB is that almost all of them stay 4 years, and we can watch the developmental arc--both mental and physical--of a confused and scared kid who is just months out of high school to a confident young adult who is months away from playing professional ball.

There is a bunch of UConn freshman and sophomores who will go through this same developmental arc.
It may have seemed improbable in October but I believe Kia has emerged as UConn's leading aspirant for All-America accolades this season. She's a dependable scorer, an excellent 3-point shooter, a superb defender, a strong leader and a tough and indefatigable competitor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

There is a bunch of UConn freshman and sophomores who will go through this same developmental arc. Stay tuned....and be patient.
If I were voting for a UConn player for All-America right now, it'd be Kia. She's been really solid. Lou has played like an All-American, too, but her injuries have held her back. She might well still make it though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And she's flexible.

Checking it twice.jpg

Note the General and her clip board.

Reaction Score
My response likely won't be very popular here.
Kia is a truly wonderful college player who puts in and gets out everything that is possible out of her abilities. She is as hard nosed a player as there is in WCB. She plays relentless defense and is now a very good shooter. She's very bright, well spoken and focused.
In terms of first team AA or a really good WNBA player I don't see it. I don't think she has the quickness and innate athletic ability to be a top notch pro player. From all I've seen she isn't able to create her own shot.
I'm sorry but while I don't know what this team would do without her, many here might be getting a tad carried away.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Kia is a truly wonderful college player who puts in and gets out everything that is possible out of her abilities. She is as hard nosed a player as there is in WCB. She plays relentless defense and is now a very good shooter. She's very bright, well spoken and focused.
In terms of first team AA or a really good WNBA player I don't see it. I don't think she has the quickness and innate athletic ability to be a top notch pro player. From all I've seen she isn't able to create her own shot.
I'm sorry but while I don't know what this team would do without her, many here might be getting a tad carried away.
Bronx23
male version of Kia:
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 4.42.46 PM.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Bronx23
Whats funny about your post is that many WNBA GM's have stated that Kia is most likely a Top 5 pick.

Reaction Score

Yeah, Kia was and is the gutsy real deal. She was early thrown into the mix, put her head down and has never looked back, or been given extra time to get ready. It would be a crime for her not to be chosen as an All American because (as others have said) Kia deserves to be on the wall.

Reaction Score
Bronx23
Respectfully, can't agree.

Reaction Score
C.D. to the troops: I need you guys to start kickin' and takin' names.The first thing you need is these here pointy shoes and the clipboard is to assist you in the second part.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've been thinking lately that Kia might get drafted before Gabby.
Maybe, but remember Gabby is dealing with a physical problem that takes away the thing that sets her apart from every other basketball player, her ability to explode vertically and horizontally.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
And Red Auerbach is on record as saying the one player who most exemplifies the Boston Celtic tradition is Dennis Johnson. Very good comparison.
As far as one comment about Kia not being quick enough, I'll just point to one Larry Bird who could neither run or jump. He could only win!

Reaction Score
My prior response was to where's she projected in the draft.
Yes Larry Bird was not that quick and was one of the greatest NBA players of all time. The analogy though, is exactly what I meant.
Kia does so many things very well but to compare her in any way to Larry Bird is at best, an extreme comparison.
My comments were not meant as a criticism of her play in any way, just what I see as her limitations.
Bronx23

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think her biggest weakness is her difficulty in creating her own shot. However, lately she has been giving a fake to her defender and dribbling to an open spot to take the shot. She is starting to get better at creating her shot.

Reaction Score
Bronx23
A few games ago, I thought the same thing. But the aforementioned steal and drive, among the other things Bags mentioned, has changed my mind. The speed on that drive could not be mistaken.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
C.D. to the troops: I need you guys to start kickin' and takin' names.The first thing you need is these here pointy shoes and the clipboard is to assist you in the second part.

I was always told never to wear regular shoes on the court but "heels". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It may have seemed improbable in October but I believe Kia has emerged as UConn's leading aspirant for All-America accolades this season. She's a dependable scorer, an excellent 3-point shooter, a superb defender, a strong leader and a tough and indefatigable competitor.

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth, or, rather, off my keyboard!
I'd only add that, even when she's not having a great game stat-wise, she's still holding the team together.

Reaction Score

Thank you, Fellow Citizen! Not enough good can be said of Kia. And to see it said is, like watching Kia play, a pleasure.

Reaction Score
Bronx23
I love Kia and agree with pretty much everything you say, with some qualifications.

First team AA? Who knows? But so what? At best, that would mean there are 5 other players in Div. I (1 or more of whom may be on UConn) who are a better basketball player in all of WCBB. More likely, it means there are two (and only two) who are "better" guards. I can live with that.

Second, much depends on what one means by a "really good WNBA player". Even if one does not rise to that level (and this is giving the characterization every benefit of the doubt), it does not follow that one is not, minimally, a "good" WNBA player--capable of providing serviceable performance at a professional level, and (as I would suspect from Kia) the ability to do so for a number of years. I think Kia is every bit as likely to fulfill those requirements as any guard coming out WCBB at this time. As noted, Kia is smart--including smart enough to know her limitations. True, she may not "create her own shot". But she knows how to find the shot she can make. And she may be one of the best players in the country at getting to the free throw line. Aside from that, she provides (as you properly noted) many of the other dimensions to an all-around excellent basketball player. Her grit and competitiveness will always serve her, including on the professional level.

There are professional exemplars of the game, not noted for their athleticism, ability to create, scoring acumen, and so on. I'd say Kia would comfortably fit among them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom