How Kevin Ollie’s new gig at Overtime Elite may change NCAA basketball (Paul Doyle) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How Kevin Ollie’s new gig at Overtime Elite may change NCAA basketball (Paul Doyle)

Reaction Score
It is also why the debate has become ridiculous at times. "We bring in hundreds of millions and so deserve $x". Nah. Put every player in college basketball and football in uniforms of minor league pro teams and that revenue would be a tiny fraction of what it is now. People are cheering for their college alma mater, or a school they feel represents their state or region. They root for the laundry.

Most of the schools lose money. This is marketing, nothing more really. Yes, some schools turn a profit but they do it because it provides exposure to prospective students, and some students want the attraction of attending games and all that comes with it.
The sports generate a ton of revenue though. Some of it goes back to athletes via facilities, travel, equipment, training resources, but a lot is infrastructure & salaries for a bureaucracy whose #1 purpose is self sustenance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The sports generate a ton of revenue though. Some of it goes back to athletes via facilities, travel, equipment, training resources, but a lot is infrastructure & salaries for a bureaucracy whose #1 purpose is self sustenance.

Sort of. In 2019 the total revenue was $18.9B for every NCAA school, but only 25 schools had revenue that exceeded expenses.

It is not a profitable endeavor really. And even that total revenue annually is less than my employer earns in a quarter. Apple‘s revenue last year was $274B. People who think college sports is big business need to put it in perspective. Pfizer estimates $26B just from its Covid vaccine.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Sort of. In 2019 the total revenue was $18.9B for every NCAA school, but only 25 schools had revenue that exceeded expenses.

It is not a profitable endeavor really. And even that total revenue annually is less than my employer earns in a quarter. Apple‘s revenue last year was $274B. People who think college sports is big business need to put it in perspective. Pfizer estimates $26B just from its Covid vaccine.

The reasons most schools athletic programs are in the red has nothing to do with how well they run their athletic departments.

It’s the federal govt sticking its nose in

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Taxes, that's your angle really? Prompts 3 Q's:
1. Why do you think college basketball and football are taxpayer funded, b/c of state schools?!
2. Do you think if those schools don't have lucrative college sports they will need more or less public money?
3. Exactly how much of your state taxes do you hope to recoup via Overtime Elite ('Oh Tee E')?

A legit NBA feeder system isn't reducing anyone's taxes other than hopefully Mark Emmert.

It’s more just that it’s silly thing to blame the ncaa when there is no bigger free rider than the ncaa in this scenario.

1) yes

Your questions 2 and 3 aren’t geared toward what I was getting at. I was more going for that the NBA and nfl should, at the very least, be pouring another couple mil per school to supplement the system that don’t have to setup themselves

Reaction Score

Five-star center Efton Reid turned down the Overtime Elite league in favor of attending college at LSU because the new professional league plans to play against prep school opponents in its inaugural season in 2021-22, Reid’s mother told ZAGSBLOG.

“Sure they offered but Efton decided to go to college because he did not want to repeat playing prep leagues again,” Reid’s mother Maria said. “He did that at IMG [Academy] and did not want to repeat another year playing against prep schools. He wants to play against the next level college ball.”

[...]

“We did a zoom call and they said he would be playing against prep schools,” Maris said. “Efton declined.”

It’s unclear which prep schools teams would be willing to play against a team comprised of professional players as it might compromise the eligibility of the prep school players.

Reaction Score

Five-star center Efton Reid turned down the Overtime Elite league in favor of attending college at LSU because the new professional league plans to play against prep school opponents in its inaugural season in 2021-22, Reid’s mother told ZAGSBLOG.

“Sure they offered but Efton decided to go to college because he did not want to repeat playing prep leagues again,” Reid’s mother Maria said. “He did that at IMG [Academy] and did not want to repeat another year playing against prep schools. He wants to play against the next level college ball.”

[...]

“We did a zoom call and they said he would be playing against prep schools,” Maris said. “Efton declined.”

It’s unclear which prep schools teams would be willing to play against a team comprised of professional players as it might compromise the eligibility of the prep school players.
So who will they play against? Can't believe they didn't figure that out before announcing the formation of this.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So who will they play against? Can't believe they didn't figure that out before announcing the formation of this.
I don’t get the competition. They call it a league but it’s a team. What do they do when no one signs up?

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don’t get the completion. They call it a league but it’s a team. What do they do when no one signs up?
I initially thought it was going to be its own little league. Instead its KO's Traveling All Stars. They should do the Marathon Oil thing and play exhibition games vs college teams.

Reaction Score
They better be providing some glamour on top of the salary because I just don’t see this being exciting to kids. One and done kids can be in the spotlight playing in packed arenas on national tv or they can make 100k and live with a traveling road show. I know 100k and no schoolwork will appeal to some kids but UK probably offers that and more and they get you publicity and adoration too.

Reaction Score
I initially thought it was going to be its own little league. Instead its KO's Traveling All Stars. They should do the Marathon Oil thing and play exhibition games vs college teams.
Unless the NCAA changes some rules they can't play NCAA teams. Maybe NAIA teams? Not sure of their rules.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Unless the NCAA changes some rules they can't play NCAA teams. Maybe NAIA teams? Not sure of their rules.
If they can't play "true" amateur teams this whole thing seems pointless. Just another way to funnel young talent away from colleges I guess.

Reaction Score
This is what athletes who think they should get paid fail to appreciate. Association with the college brands are what elevate them to notoriety. The NBA’s ratings have shrunk to an all time low for many reasons. Cutting off college feeders with built-in follow along audiences is the height of hubris. There are other reasons but we are not allowed to speak about them without being banned.
The ratings decline is due in large part because the market is flooded. The league has focused on growing the fan base outside the US.
. The growth in Europe is being fueled by a 15% increase in NBA League Pass subscriptions internationally, which makes games available to fans in more than 200 countries.
US ratings are not a big priority.

Reaction Score
The ratings decline is due in large part because the market is flooded. The league has focused on growing the fan base outside the US.
. The growth in Europe is being fueled by a 15% increase in NBA League Pass subscriptions internationally, which makes games available to fans in more than 200 countries.
That’s some spin. They lost their home market beyond a niche group of hardcore viewers. They bit the hand that fed them with woke BS while trying to cater to communist China. What Jordan built LeBron burned to the ground.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Marathon Oil and teams from Lavar Ball’s Junior Basketball Association

Reaction Score
That’s some spin. They lost their home market beyond a niche group of hardcore viewers. They bit the hand that fed them with woke BS while trying to cater to communist China. What Jordan built LeBron burned to the ground.
It is not spin, it is reality. Their market clearly is huge and growing. Would they like more than 2.5 million viewers per game in the US? Yeah. But the US is a drop in the bucket compared to the world.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Their numbers overseas are relatively tiny which is why they give out the ‘good news’ in percentages - the US market is what pays their bills.

Reaction Score
Their numbers overseas are relatively tiny which is why they give out the ‘good news’ in percentages - the US market is what pays their bills.
Sorry, they are not paying they ridiculous salaries based on US dollars- A bench player getting 15 mill per year.

Reaction Score
Sorry, they are not paying they ridiculous salaries based on US dollars- A bench player getting 15 mill per year.
Foreign revenue is around 450 million vs US of 2.6 billion. This number is not decreasing as many contracts about about to renew. I would say roughly 20 percent of revenue is not tiny.

Reaction Score
To me the model should be minor league baseball. Don’t know many people who follow the Yardgoats in the traditional sense. Or really even follow the players. But the minors have managed to get many second tier cities to build ball parks and it is a money making proposition. They draw very good crowds

There are a bunch of civic centers that don’t have major tenants in those cities. You’d have to pick your spots too. Not Hartford or Bloomington or other places with major college programs. You won’t compete. But maybe Worcester or Manchester NH would work in New England. Maybe Harrisburg or Akron. I honestly don’t know but with the right marketing plan who knows. I could see it being successful and I hope it will be. The kids who want to go to college to go to college, not to kill a year until the NBA draft can do so. Those who don’t can and should go here.

I agree on the 16 -17 year olds though. On the other hand if you are a parent and you let your kid do this, there is something wrong with you.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They better be providing some glamour on top of the salary because I just don’t see this being exciting to kids. One and done kids can be in the spotlight playing in packed arenas on national tv or they can make 100k and live with a traveling road show. I know 100k and no schoolwork will appeal to some kids but UK probably offers that and more and they get you publicity and adoration too.
The glamor is being featured on the Overtime Elite Snapchat highlights. Sounds incredibly stupid because it is but that’s what drives kids these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom