How Good will everybody be when Paige gets back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Good will everybody be when Paige gets back

Reaction Score
Biggest question for me: How good will Azzi Fudd be? It has all been speculation considering she has only play a few games. CW has shown us that a No. 1 High School prospect might now be all we hoped for. Prove on the court.

Reaction Score
I think it matters how healthy Paige and Azzi will be. I have no idea how this team will perform.

If healthy, they would've been an obvious FF team again. If healthy they open up the lane.

This team, at least so far, needs the lane open.

Reaction Score
People play different when playing against tuffer teams and tuffer players. Some dont take pressure very well while others have the attitude give me the ball. Its like that in every sport. Another point when your surrounded by really good players you play better because defenses cant collapse on you and your game flows. At this point alot of the game is mental.

This is a scary time on our schedule. We dont know which team will show up and who is going to show up and who cant play. We're down to 6 kids. From what Geno said in the post game interview they are not executing plays. Geno calls a play and they screw it up. There are alot of things going on that we dont know about either. We dont know what is going on behind the scenes. All we see is whats happening on the court and in the games. There could be more to it then that.

There chemistry is missing alot of that has to do with different players playing and playing out of position. With so many kids getting hurt and so many getting sick the lineup continues to change and we're lacking of guards. Even practices must be affected. We had a few practices where we didnt have enough players. Now I would expect Christyn to be out for Fridays game and maybe Azzi will still be out. We play Seton Hall. All of a sudden we have to wonder when we will get back to normal meaning when will we be healthy again and then when will we get up to speed and play like a team again.

I am confident when we get healthy Paige Azzi and Christyn will take care of alot of the chemistry and scoring woahs. Next question is how will we be on defense? Defense could be a problem due to the fact that because of the injuries and sickness we may have lost a step or two. Many teams we will be able to out talent but a few we may not. We dont look like a UConn team because of all thats happened. The injuries and Covid have had an impact on chemistry, continuity, confidence, execution, attitude, practice, have I left anything out. When and if we get healthy this season we will be rebuilding the team much like we were building the team before the season started. Were gonna have to recreate what we had and make it better and we're gonna have to do that in just a few weeks depending on when everybody gets back. The good news is those kids who may not have gotten the minutes because of the starters being out of the rotation have gotten that playtime which should only make us a better team when everybody gets back. We have approx 6 weeks and alot has to happen in these 6 weeks. Be patient
Currently, most of the posts concerning UConn’s remainder of the season are overwhelming optimistic, promising best case scenarios. I wish it were that easy & prophetic.

Let’s go back to early summer when people could barely contain their enthusiasm and awarding UConn their 12th title before a single minute was played. The discourse was about finding minutes for players and rhapsodizing about the unprecedented depth. How did this play out?

Right now, UConn is barely a top 20 team, if that. On paper, with a fully functional & healthy squad, I’m completely on board with optimistic predictions. I hope to be proven wrong, but expecting Paige & Azzi to immediately play to their capabilities is simply unrealistic, particularly for Azzi, as she barely tasted the collegiate competition. Eventually, I have no doubt she’ll prove to be the real deal. In Paige’s case, I’d rather see her postpone her return in favor of making a complete recovery instead of rushing back & potentially injuring herself again.

Remember the 2019-2020 team that didn’t get the opportunity to play tourney ball because the season was cancelled? That team went 29 - 3, but even diehard fans knew that team didn’t stand a chance against SC, Oregon and Baylor for the NC. The current team is like that without Paige. I expect the upcoming SC and Tennessee games to confirm this. Is this fair? Of course not. For further evidence, look at Iowa St against Texas last night. At home, State played without the Joens girls (primarily Ashley) and got walloped.

Like the superstar she is, Paige makes an average to good roster appear great simply because she can. If this season can be salvageable, fantastic. If not, let’s get everyone hungry and healthy for payback next season.

Reaction Score
Buckle up. A healthy team has just enough time to come together but not so much time to get too sure of themselves. In other words…they are an unstoppable force come March. I feel very good about this. You gotta delve to get twelve.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
About the same as they were before she got hurt only maybe a little more assertive.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Currently, most of the posts concerning UConn’s remainder of the season are overwhelming optimistic, promising best case scenarios. I wish it were that easy & prophetic.

Let’s go back to early summer when people could barely contain their enthusiasm and awarding UConn their 12th title before a single minute was played. The discourse was about finding minutes for players and rhapsodizing about the unprecedented depth. How did this play out?

Right now, UConn is barely a top 20 team, if that. On paper, with a fully functional & healthy squad, I’m completely on board with optimistic predictions. I hope to be proven wrong, but expecting Paige & Azzi to immediately play to their capabilities is simply unrealistic, particularly for Azzi, as she barely tasted the collegiate competition. Eventually, I have no doubt she’ll prove to be the real deal. In Paige’s case, I’d rather see her postpone her return in favor of making a complete recovery instead of rushing back & potentially injuring herself again.

Remember the 2019-2020 team that didn’t get the opportunity to play tourney ball because the season was cancelled? That team went 29 - 3, but even diehard fans knew that team didn’t stand a chance against SC, Oregon and Baylor for the NC. The current team is like that without Paige. I expect the upcoming SC and Tennessee games to confirm this. Is this fair? Of course not. For further evidence, look at Iowa St against Texas last night. At home, State played without the Joens girls (primarily Ashley) and got walloped.

Like the superstar she is, Paige makes an average to good roster appear great simply because she can. If this season can be salvageable, fantastic. If not, let’s get everyone hungry and healthy for payback next season.
Seriously, you know how an NCAA tournament would’ve turned out? Healthy UConn this year is top 5 or 6. Played LVille very tough. Had a crap 2nd period vs Oregon playing with 2 hands tied behind their backs. Of course they are not favored this year, but it wouldn’t be a miracle for them to win either. UConn has a few wild cards. Can ONO manage well enough against a top bug and how will Azzi perform. If both are affirmative, they are no easy out. Defense will be key as usual.

Reaction Score
I think a more important question is how "good" will Bueckers play. Coming off a very serious injury and a long layoff I doubt that she will be anywhere near 100%.
That's my concern as well.

sun

Reaction Score
From what I've read, once a patient is considered to be healed from this type of surgery, they will only be at 80% of their previous strength.
Then Paige will need more time to fully recover.

Reaction Score
From what we've seen, Paige is still in a leg brace, will presumably need some kind of physical therapy, and then can begin things like running, then non-contact practice, then full practice, and then games on restricted minutes. I'd like to be optimistic, but that seems like a lot to ask, and of course says nothing about getting back into game shape and being able to have a meaningful impact on a game. What would be nice is if Azzi can get back soon and turn into this year's Paige.

Reaction Score
Before we go crazy with all the "what if's let me say this. When Paige retuns she will make alot of the players who are not shooting the bal,l better because she will give them a better chance to to shoot the ball by setting them up to have open shots. It will be interesting to see the Paige effect on everybody who is playing now. Will they shoot more? Will they get more shots?

I will take a step further and say I have been told that Azzi can play the point too. How well I dont know but right now when she is ready to go she will have enough to learn and adjust to in Genos system. So right now I dont expect her to play the point. I also believe that the way Caroline is playing may have given Azzi alot more confidence to play her game without hesitation.

We have Seton Hall on Friday, St Johns on Sunday and @ South Carolina on Thursday. We will see if Christyn and or Azzi will be back for any of those games. If Azzi is back its gonna take time for her to get up to speed. About a week later we have Tenn on Feb 6th at the XL Center. Its gonna be a tuff road.
The real. question is, " what will Paige be like when Paige returns?" Personally, I live in feaf that she is rushing back. If she is 100% fine and in condition ( how does that work this quickly?), we have to worry that the other players...having learned ( somewhat) to stand on their own two feet....will defer to her, and we'll be back to "four plus Paige" on the court, waiting around for her to save the team. We need 8 quality players to contribute as a well-oiled unit. And don't forget ( I'm sure you haven't), Azzi is a potential superstar who also needs to integrate. So coach has his work cut out for him.

sun

Reaction Score
Paige had undergone such extensive rehab and strengthening after her ankle surgery, that perhaps the benefits of all of those extra work outs won't be totally lost.

I felt from the get go that it may take her an extra month to return.
If she can get some playing time and do enough extra conditioning to play well, then that will be for her and Geno to figure out.
We're just spectators watching the process work itself out so there's nothing to worry about except for UConn to qualify for the NCAA tourney.
Anticipating about Paige's conditioning won't change the outcome, we'll know as it happens just like it will be for her and Geno.
The team will need to depend on the health and development of every player in order to advance.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. that's the first link to break.

Reaction Score
When Paige returns it is going to take time for her to get up to game speed. I don't think other teams are going to treat her with kid gloves so drives into traffic against bigger players that result in her being knocked to the floor with a newly healed knee, landing awkwardly etc. are going to be dangerous. I know she will want to go all out but anyone thinking she is back all our problems are solved will need to be patient.

Reaction Score
I’m not concerned about Paige. We have no idea what Azzi can do at the college level. I suspect she will play like a freshmen and just be a role player this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’m not concerned about Paige. We have no idea what Azzi can do at the college level. I suspect she will play like a freshmen and just be a role player this year.
Playing like a freshman is no longer a limitation. There is no reason to think Azzi can't have the same impact as Caroline if she is physically right. She did make 6 3pt shots in a pretty tight game.

Reaction Score
Playing like a freshman is no longer a limitation. There is no reason to think Azzi can't have the same impact as Caroline if she is physically right. She did make 6 3pt shots in a pretty tight game.
Hope you're right, eebmg, but Caroline has made much of her impact inside the 3-point line. Azzi might well light it up from three but, if she doesn't on a particular night, does she have the repertoire displayed in the last month by Caroline?

Reaction Score
Why couldn't she be as good as Paige was last year? Doesn't everyone say Azzi is better than Paige? Paige was a freshman last year too and I'd say turned in a pretty good season.

Reaction Score
Before we go crazy with all the "what if's let me say this. When Paige retuns she will make alot of the players who are not shooting the bal,l better because she will give them a better chance to to shoot the ball by setting them up to have open shots. It will be interesting to see the Paige effect on everybody who is playing now. Will they shoot more? Will they get more shots?

I will take a step further and say I have been told that Azzi can play the point too. How well I dont know but right now when she is ready to go she will have enough to learn and adjust to in Genos system. So right now I dont expect her to play the point. I also believe that the way Caroline is playing may have given Azzi alot more confidence to play her game without hesitation.
S
We have Seton Hall on Friday, St Johns on Sunday and @ South Carolina on Thursday. We will see if Christyn and or Azzi will be back for any of those games. If Azzi is back its gonna take time for her to get up to speed. About a week later we have Tenn on Feb 6th at the XL Center. Its gonna be a tuff road.
Some players hit the floor running and play better or as well as they played before injury. Those are rare. Most, are rusty. Need time to get the game rhythm back. Personally, I'll reserve my hopes, beliefs, desires for after their first game back. Azzi was in one game in college. She showed great promise. CW has been a bit more of an up and down player even when well. I've been her fan from day one. Her potential and talent only confuses me on her greatness. At times she is as good as Uconn;s greats at other times, I ask, where did she go??

Reaction Score
Hope you're right, eebmg, but Caroline has made much of her impact inside the 3-point line. Azzi might well light it up from three but, if she doesn't on a particular night, does she have the repertoire displayed in the last month by Caroline?
AZZI has had much better games than Caroline in high school. In college it takes (both) great courage and confidence at the same time to be a consistent good to great scorer. DT is the prime example.

Reaction Score
I doubt she does.

But Caroline is nothing to Azzi when it comes to 3pt shooting. As a result, maybe the sum of the parts are better than the individual ones. So even though Azzi is missing, it can still possibly mean more high percentage opportunities for CWill and Ducharme due to opposing team's defensive alignment. Nobody is going to intentionally "sag" on Azzi even if she is missing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom