How good is UConn really | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How good is UConn really

Reaction Score
It's 54.4 if we include the TMU game.
Otherwise it's 56.7 in the 9 games since Texas.
That is right but our schedule over those last 9 games is much tougher. We played four ranked teams during that stretch to one for SC. I’m certainly not convinced their defense, as good as it obviously is, is substantively better than ours. They obviously have an advantage on both sides of the ball in the post and that is the main reason they are (rightfully) favored to win this game. They should win this game for sure. However, should is a long way from will! One only has to look back to April to find a game where SC should have won but didn’t! Not saying history will repeat itself but,….. it could. :)

Reaction Score
Did I throw shade at Mulkey?
I've said this, and I've gotten flack from my fellow Gamecocks, but Mulkey reminds me in some ways of Pat Summit. She gets a bad rap but she's a hell of a coach. If Dawn left Carolina tomorrow, there are two on my wish list...(remember I said wish list), it would Kim Mulkey and former UK coach Matthew Mitchell who in my humble opinion outside of Geno, Dawn & Pat are coaching greats.

I really miss Matthew Mitchell at UK. He seemed to get so much out of his players even though he did not get the most highly recruited players in the nation. Yes he did get Rhyne Howard. At the time Rhyne was recruited, I think she was listed somewhere in the 25-35 ranked player out of high school according to ESPN Gurlz Hoops.

Reaction Score
UConn is not a good rebounding team so what Geno has done is gone to a 4 guard offense which creates turnovers. Turnovers are another way to gain possessions. As UConns rebounding improves they will gain more possessions. To get more rebounds alot will depend on Ice and how she improves and gains more confidence as well as some others. We looked pretty good against STJ rebounding however against teams with height like ND SC Stanford etc we will have to depend on our defense to create turnovers.

Just thoughts on ND and SC. They are taller then UConn. I like our defense against them both. I also like ability to move without the ball which helps us create our own shots. Aaliyah and Ice will need to attack the rim with confidence and not be intimidated. I expect KK to spend alot of time on the line because she can cause havoc.

I know some dont give us much of a chance against SC, I do. I know some are nervous against ND, Im not. If we play our game like we have been playing with alot of confidence we will be fine. No team is playing defense like UConn.
Tonyc- - To me the key vs ND is Nika on Hidalgo!
If she does the job she's done the last 3 or 4 games Hidalgo will be shut down and ND will have to search elsewhere for points!
I don't think the others can score enough to stop UConn!

Reaction Score
Tonyc- - To me the key vs ND is Nika on Hidalgo!
If she does the job she's done the last 3 or 4 games Hidalgo will be shut down and ND will have to search elsewhere for points!
I don't think the others can score enough to stop UConn!
Not sure Nika will even be on Hidalgo. I think that’s gonna have to be a joint effort with KK as Hidalgo may be too fast for Nika alone to handle. All due respect to Nika but the best matchup may not be her on Hidalgo.

Reaction Score
Not sure Nika will even be on Hidalgo. I think that’s gonna have to be a joint effort with KK as Hidalgo may be too fast for Nika alone to handle. All due respect to Nika but the best matchup may not be her on Hidalgo.
Cuango- - - We'll have to agree to disagree as I really feel Nika can cover just about anyone!
She's done great jobs on some really potent scorers, such as, Caitlin Clark, even having Caitlin beg her teammates "to get that #10 off my butt!"

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Paige has to be the sensational, All-American, POY Paige

Then we can win it all, and only then will we be in the mix

Otherwise we'll have to settle for an Elite Eight, maybe Final Four appearance

Reaction Score
Cuango- - - We'll have to agree to disagree as I really feel Nika can cover just about anyone!
She's done great jobs on some really potent scorers, such as, Caitlin Clark, even having Caitlin beg her teammates "to get that #10 off my butt!"
Agreed, but there is simply no comparison (speed wise) between Clark and Hidalgo!

Reaction Score
After yesterdays blow out it is becoming expected by some fans to blow out everybody, because UConn is playing at a different level. UConn is playing suffocating defense and enjoying it. UConn is playing with high energy, intensity and confidence and having fun doing it. Because theyre having fun they are relaxed confident and can operate and doing it. Alot of fans are saying the BE is weak. Well Creighton and Marquette are are ranked in the top 25 and we play them twice during the season, not once like some teams in other conferences. How many top conferences have teams at the bottom of their conference that are close in caliber to the bottom teams in the BE conference? Most do. I look at other conferences and see teams that arent very good just like the BE. I dont see the top teams in those conferences beating the bottom teams by 30+ let alone 40+ consistently. I look at UConn with 5 top players on the bench winning by 30+ pts against some pretty good teams and some not such pretty good teams and some of those teams are top teams in other conferences and UConn is doing this with 5 of their top players on the bench. Then I look at teams with one top player on the bench and they struggle and some have been loosing games to unranked teams.

UConn fans are excited about UConn again. We have a suffocating defense. We have alot of players who look to score and are not dependent on Paige and Aaliyah where most teams direct their attention. Have you noticed are balanced scoring in the past few games. Look at box scores of other teams. Look at UConns shooting percentages. Look at UConns starting 5-7 players and notice the decreased turnovers made and the increase in turnovers by opponents. We are reaching our stride.

We have games coming up that will be a real test. A much improved ND team that has gotten Westbeld and Citron back. ND too has suffered alot of injuries. How will they hold up against UConns defense. We have SC down the road. When we play these teams one thing will stand out. How well their ball handlers handle UConns defense. Alot of UConns success has been directly related to opponents not being able to handle UConns defense because they dont have the ball handlers and passing to release the pressure to operate their offense. I dont care how good a team is, trying to operate and run your offense under duress is very difficult and thats how UConn has been blowing teams out. Playing under duress affects the way you think and causes panic and panic causes you to speed up loosing your poise. Will opponenets down the road be able to make adjustments? We will see. ND now has some scorers and so does SC. These games will be a good test for UConn. Both teams have more height then UConn but the one thing imo they dont have is UConns defense
I think UCONN is about as " good" as where they are currently ranked (8th?). They can become better to the extent that Brady and Q improve. Brady gets a bit better with every game. Q is more erratic. Both look to have enormous potential. But ,. at this writing, UCONN has no shot of defeating South Carolina or, likely, LSU. Probably not UCLA either Geno need to keep giving Inez work. She is a capable guard and gives crucial relief to several players ( Paige, Nikka, KK, and even ASH ).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We can beat good teams by applying our suffocating defense. If we dont have a suffocating defense we will have problems. Our defense causes duress when played with intensity and energy as a team. I feel we can beat any team when we create duress including SC. So when we play ND we have to put pressure on Hidalgo and make her play under duress. The harder we make it for her the more chance that she will make mistakes. Heres a blerb from the Virgina ND game.

The Irish led by 20 late in the third quarter and 66-49 inside of eight minutes to go in the fourth, but the pressing Hoos (8-9, 0-6) scrapped to as close as 76-70 at 2:52 remaining.

We can beat ND with good pressure defense.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN is about as " good" as where they are currently ranked (8th?). They can become better to the extent that Brady and Q improve. Brady gets a bit better with every game. Q is more erratic. Both look to have enormous potential. But ,. at this writing, UCONN has no shot of defeating South Carolina or, likely, LSU. Probably not UCLA either Geno need to keep giving Inez work. She is a capable guard and gives crucial relief to several players ( Paige, Nikka, KK, and even ASH ).
So tired of reading this untrue statement. Of course UConn “has a shot.” They are a good team with a proven floor leader and a great coach. Both teams are power programs.

And please - the words have “ a shot.” Are not mine and are not a term of belittlement by me. My words are “ UConn can beat South Carolina.”

Reaction Score
If we play like I know we can, as we’ve demonstrated very well as of late, we should be able to handle ND without much issue. This is a ND team that lost to Syracuse (and yes I know Cuse is top off the ACC right now, but they lost badly to UNC and only just managed to survive an almost ugly loss to Clemson and FSU).

As to SCar, we played them extremely close last year when we were struggling to put away BE teams. I have no doubt that UConn will hang with SCar. Call me a homer but I believe it’ll be a 50/50 shot to see who win. I think UConn will have a chip on their shoulder after last season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If we play like I know we can, as we’ve demonstrated very well as of late, we should be able to handle ND without much issue. This is a ND team that lost to Syracuse (and yes I know Cuse is top off the ACC right now, but they lost badly to UNC and only just managed to survive an almost ugly loss to Clemson and FSU).

As to SCar, we played them extremely close last year when we were struggling to put away BE teams. I have no doubt that UConn will hang with SCar. Call me a homer but I believe it’ll be a 50/50 shot to see who win. I think UConn will have a chip on their shoulder after last season.
Good post UConn is playing with alot of confidence fire and energy. They have that never give up attitude. Attitude is everything and once again and I will continue to say this about this UConn team. Their defense causes opponents to play under duress. And it is very hard to maintain your focus and play your game under duress.

Reaction Score
While I agree we would be underdogs against all three of the teams you mentioned, I would remnd you that just last year Iowa beat the supposedly unbeatable SC team that was cruising toward an undefeated season! When you have a great player like Clark or Paige you always have a chance, assumng the rest of the team s halfway decent! So, I disagree that we have no chance at those three teams!

Now if we had to play all three in a row, I wouldn’t like our chances but one game? We played UCLA and lost by 9? We played about as poorly as we’ve played in any game this season and only lost by 9. Furthermore, the UCLA guards shot way better than they are wont to. Geno had not yet implemented his small ball defensive plan at that time. I would not be surprised at all if we were to play now if you were to see a different outcome.

Obviously, they are the favorites but I have to say, of those “big three” I see UCLA as the most vulnerable. Even LSU and the “big dog” can have bad games though. Admittedly, SC is in a different category and we’re gonna need a lot of help from them to have any chance to beat them. Anyway, this is my longwinded way of saying we have a chance against anybody! How big of a chance is where all the uncertainty comes in. As the old cowboy said, “Ain’t never been a horse that couldn’t be rode, and there ain’t never been a cowboy that couldn’t be throwed!”

Reaction Score
I think when we’re on, we’re FF material, but that all depends on two basic things and bunch of underlying things, but it’s ‘what Bracket’ and ‘keeping Edward’s on the floor.’ Saw K State and Baylor and Utah and UCLA last night. Can’t for the life of me figure out how Utah is where they are. That offense she ran twice, towards the end of regulation, was just plain idiotic and then Utah got lucky in OT. I think we’re a far different team today than when we first played UCLA and if a rematch came our way, I like our odds. Baylor? K-State? - I don’t think either one would give us a game, there was no real offensive rhythm from either team.

Reaction Score
Everyones talking about SC. How about we see how they do against ND?

UConn will struggle in the paint against a team like SC. The lost rebounds and second chance points is going to be hard to overcome. It really will come down to that IMHO.

Hoping UConn figures out a way. SC will need to shoot poorly and UConn will need to be red hot to win this one.

ND, I think with the UConn defense in high gear, they win that one.

Last year I said they can get to the sweet 16, but no further (I was right.)

This year, Elite 8. With some luck, maybe Final 4. Maybe. It would have to go really right for them. The injuries over the last two years has just really been too much to expect more. Pretty amazing how far they do get considering.

Most people here don't like my posts, as I don't own a pair of Rose colored glasses. Love UConn, but call it like I see it. Take it for what you will, but the outcomes of the last 4-5 seasons have been right in line with what I expected to happend, so......

Reaction Score
I think when we’re on, we’re FF material, but that all depends on two basic things and bunch of underlying things, but it’s ‘what Bracket’ and ‘keeping Edward’s on the floor.’ Saw K State and Baylor and Utah and UCLA last night. Can’t for the life of me figure out how Utah is where they are. That offense she ran twice, towards the end of regulation, was just plain idiotic and then Utah got lucky in OT. I think we’re a far different team today than when we first played UCLA and if a rematch came our way, I like our odds. Baylor? K-State? - I don’t think either one would give us a game, there was no real offensive rhythm from either team.
I saw what you saw in the Utah game. And the Colorado-USC game was even more puzzling. Both teams stood around most of the time on offense and waited for someone to do something. It was a good thing for. Colorado that Sherrod pinned a 5th foul on Juju, otherwise she'd just have won it in the final few minutes. But the offense on both teams was lackluster, and that's being really kind. Neither of them looked like top-10 teams ... measured against some absurd ideal that exists only in my imagination.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched the UCLA - Utah game as well. I think both teams struggled running their offense at times. Every time the ball went into Betts in the post for UCLA, Utah swarmed all over her, frequently leading to tie ups, turnovers and missed shots.

The one thing I did like about Utah is their unique offensive philosophy. They either shoot a 3 or a layup. There is no other option. Last night it worked just well enough to take down the #2 team in the nation.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I watched the UCLA - Utah game as well. I think both teams struggled running their offense at times. Every time the ball went into Betts in the post for UCLA, Utah swarmed all over her, frequently leading to tie ups, turnovers and missed shots.

The one thing I did like about Utah is their unique offensive philosophy. They either shoot a 3 or a layup. There is no other option. Last night it worked just well enough to take down the #2 team in the nation.
Coach Roberts of Utah apparently has an airhorn handy in practice and if she's a mid-range jumper when there could be a drive or a skip pass to a three, she'll blow it.

I watched the game, as well, and it was either pass into Pili (or drive by Pili) or the point guard or long bomb. It was one reason why Close took Betts out in crunch time -- too much motion by Utah.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coach Roberts of Utah apparently has an airhorn handy in practice and if she's a mid-range jumper when there could be a drive or a skip pass to a three, she'll blow it.

I watched the game, as well, and it was either pass into Pili (or drive by Pili) or the point guard or long bomb. It was one reason why Close took Betts out in crunch time -- too much motion by Utah.
A lot of folks thought that when 6’7” Lauren Betts transferred from Stanford to UCLA, Close had secured the “missing piece” needed for a UCLA championship run. After last night’s game, it’s pretty clear that Betts has a long way to go, particularly if Close can’t play her in Big Games during crunch time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This has been an interesting thread to peruse from time to time. While the majority of comments have been about S Carolina, you do have a game against a team I know pretty well ;) on Saturday night.

- Much has been posted about UConn basically going with Aaliyah Edwards and four guards, three of which are point guards. Spectacular pressure defense, adept/crisp passing and good to great shooting. Here are some things that come to mind about ND:

- Like UConn, ND doesn't have much depth, but they do have some height. They'll start with 6'4" center Kylee Watson and bring in 6'5" front court sub Nat Marshall. Neither scores much but Watson is very adept to clogging the middle and doing dirty work.
However, recently --- and this is where it gets interesting -- ND also been going with four guards and one big.

- That big is 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, whom everyone on the Boneyard should know by now, much like we know Aaliyah Edwards. Maddy's averaging 9.5 rebounds per game and is doing her usual inside-outside (all the way past three) scoring. She's also an adept ball handler and passer.

- This means that the ND has other guards to help inside against your "power point guard," Paige Bueckers. A lot that will be on Sonia "Soni" Citron, ND's 6'1" glue player and perhaps it's most adept all-around player. Soni does this big guard thing well: Coach Cori Close had her play the "4" on the U.S.A. National team with Azzi Fudd, Caitlin Clark and Lauren Betts and she was named to the all-tourney team. Expect to see 5'11" KK Bransford take a turn there, too. Strong defender who rebounds well. Also, expect ND's patented 2-3 zone and some match-up zone, as well.

- One other aspect about Citron: she's doing that shoot better than 50% from the field (51%), better than 40% from 3-pt. land, and above 90% from the line. Paige has two of the three (just a bit short on the FT's). Bueckers is averaging just 20 ppg and Citron around 19. (Hidalgo is at 24 ppg).

- KK Arnold and Hannah Hidalgo were frequently mentioned in the same sentences as top PG prospects when in high school/AAU and both have done very well as frosh, to say the least. Lot of similarities (quick feet and hands, attack the basket, obvious handles). You know KK: Hidalgo has an adept jump shot at all levels and her focused energy output is....wild to watch. I'm not saying better, fans, just wild. Enjoy it. The 5.5 steals per game is due to amazingly quick hands and reactions. She is the daughter of a coach, the sister of many hoop-playing brothers and an energy source that knows hoops.

- ND won't try to dribble up-court now that Citron is back: they'll pass and dribble. Citron, Bransford, Westbeld and Anna DeWolfe don't fluster much. Hidalgo can dribble into corners so you can double her. But Citron and DeWolfe will talk to her.

- My worries: ND tends to lose focus from time to time, gets sloppy with the ball (passing) and I can't think of a better team to take advantage of that then a Geno-coached team. Coach Ivey worries about it, too.

- My worst thoughts for both teams: get Edwards or Westbeld in foul trouble. They both do so much it will incapacitate the others for awhile.

Should be interesting and instructive. ND has its core 2023-24 group back and are winding into shape. UConn will let them know how that's doing going into the heart of the ACC schedule. And ND will help get the Huskies ready for playing against a talented team in mid-season prior to S. Carolina. Enjoy.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A lot of folks thought that when 6’7” Lauren Betts transferred from Stanford to UCLA, Close had secured the “missing piece” needed for a UCLA championship run. After last night’s game, it’s pretty clear that Betts has a long way to go, particularly if Close can’t play her in Big Games during crunch time.
Point taken. On the other hand, it's a game of match-ups and Close will have to learn how to get Betts the ball so she can attack immediately.

I thought UCLA's Jasquez and Utah's McQueen were the best players on the court last night. Matyson Wilkie, the transfer from Wisconsin, has been a good pick-up for Utah.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This has been an interesting thread to peruse from time to time. While the majority of comments have been about S Carolina, you do have a game against a team I know pretty well ;) on Saturday night.

- Much has been posted about UConn basically going with Aaliyah Edwards and four guards, three of which are point guards. Spectacular pressure defense, adept/crisp passing and good to great shooting. Here are some things that come to mind about ND:

- Like UConn, ND doesn't have much depth, but they do have some height. They'll start with 6'4" center Kylee Watson and bring in 6'5" front court sub Nat Marshall. Neither scores much but Watson is very adept to clogging the middle and doing dirty work.
However, recently --- and this is where it gets interesting -- ND also been going with four guards and one big.

- That big is 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, whom everyone on the Boneyard should know by now, much like we know Aaliyah Edwards. Maddy's averaging 9.5 rebounds per game and is doing her usual inside-outside (all the way past three) scoring. She's also an adept ball handler and passer.

- This means that the ND has other guards to help inside against your "power point guard," Paige Bueckers. A lot that will be on Sonia "Soni" Citron, ND's 6'1" glue player and perhaps it's most adept all-around player. Soni does this big guard thing well: Coach Cori Close had her play the "4" on the U.S.A. National team with Azzi Fudd, Caitlin Clark and Lauren Betts and she was named to the all-tourney team. Expect to see 5'11" KK Bransford take a turn there, too. Strong defender who rebounds well. Also, expect ND's patented 2-3 zone and some match-up zone, as well.

- One other aspect about Citron: she's doing that shoot better than 50% from the field (51%), better than 40% from 3-pt. land, and above 90% from the line. Paige has two of the three (just a bit short on the FT's). Bueckers is averaging just 20 ppg and Citron around 19. (Hidalgo is at 24 ppg).

- KK Arnold and Hannah Hidalgo were frequently mentioned in the same sentences as top PG prospects when in high school/AAU and both have done very well as frosh, to say the least. Lot of similarities (quick feet and hands, attack the basket, obvious handles). You know KK: Hidalgo has an adept jump shot at all levels and her focused energy output is....wild to watch. I'm not saying better, fans, just wild. Enjoy it. The 5.5 steals per game is due to amazingly quick hands and reactions. She is the daughter of a coach, the sister of many hoop-playing brothers and an energy source that knows hoops.

- ND won't try to dribble up-court now that Citron is back: they'll pass and dribble. Citron, Bransford, Westbeld and Anna DeWolfe don't fluster much. Hidalgo can dribble into corners so you can double her. But Citron and DeWolfe will talk to her.

- My worries: ND tends to lose focus from time to time, gets sloppy with the ball (passing) and I can't think of a better team to take advantage of that then a Geno-coached team. Coach Ivey worries about it, too.

- My worst thoughts for both teams: get Edwards or Westbeld in foul trouble. They both do so much it will incapacitate the others for awhile.

Should be interesting and instructive. ND has its core 2023-24 group back and are winding into shape. UConn will let them know how that's doing going into the heart of the ACC schedule. And ND will help get the Huskies ready for playing against a talented team in mid-season prior to S. Carolina. Enjoy.
Westbeld is 6’3”? Are you measuring that height in Hartley units? :rolleyes:

sun

Reaction Score
How far UConn can go could depend in part on the upcoming decision about Carol's playing status.
IMO if she can add experience & another shooting option to the team then UConn's chances would be enhanced.
There's been some scoring inconsistencies & extended PT by some players can impact UConn's depth.
My concern is about young UConn players over-relying on Paige to score against the defense of very athletic opponents.
UConn would be better off with Carol as a playing option than without her.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Westbeld is 6’3”? Are you measuring that height in Hartley units? :rolleyes:
No, not in this case. She's listed 6'3" with ND and when she played for U.S.A. Basketball in the 3x3 tourney. She's both taller and more solid than older sister, Kat (who was 6'1" and change). Take a look Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom