How good is Akok Akok? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How good is Akok Akok?

Reaction Score
We were teased last year when he came in but we can't ignore his body type and the fact that he injured his Achilles the year before. Sure he strengthened his upper body and arms but what about his legs? Skinny, twig like.

Reaction Score
He got injured with 6 games left in the season (7 counting the game he got injured in), so we had pretty much a full season to watch him.

like @husky429 said, he was very good in those games.
He was very good? At 4.8 points per game? I will have to rewatch those games. He may have had moments but not enough to convince me. I think people need to lower their expectations.

Reaction Score
He was very good? At 4.8 points per game? I will have to rewatch those games. He may have had moments but not enough to convince me. I think people need to lower their expectations.
His defense was ahead of his offense but that doesn't change the fact he was very good. He definitely belonged on the court.

Reaction Score
The fact is his freshman year there were signs of an impact player. His ability to change the game on defense was evident and while he didn't shoot a great percentage there was some real nice things happening on offense as well. This past year was hopefully all because of the obvious injury which will take time. Only time will tell who he is in November this year but I wold love to see the freshman athlete reappear it will be nice to see.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'd say 5.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.6 blocks as a freshman is a very good season

Reaction Score
Yeah I'd say 5.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.6 blocks as a freshman is a very good season
4.8 points, I guesss we have different standards for what we think is very good. Yes, he contributed and may have had flashes but after watching what very good freshman did in the tournament this year it is obvious he has a long ways to go. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great person and teammate and I am rooting for him but I think there are many here that need to calm down with their expectaions for him.

Reaction Score
4.8 points, I guesss we have different standards for what we think is very good. Yes, he contributed and may have had flashes but after watching what very good freshman did in the tournament this year it is obvious he has a long ways to go. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great person and teammate and I am rooting for him but I think there are many here that need to calm down with their expectaions for him.
This is now at least the third time you've intentionally gotten his averages wrong. Word of advice, if you're going to do this at least get your numbers right so you don't come across as a total idiot.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep saying 4.8 points? You're wrong, he averaged 5.8 points his freshman year

Reaction Score

No, he didn't average 4.8 points as a freshman. Did you bother to look at ANY of the 100s of stats websites available? He averaged 4.8 points including this year. He was not a freshman this year. That's the kind of basic reading comprehension I expect from the remedial 14-year-olds I teach and they are close to illiterate.

The difference between 4.8 and 5.8 isn't much. He was offensively limited--no one is denying that. The need to tell blatant falsehoods is beyond me.

Reaction Score
4.8 is his career average you idiot. Learn how to read

Reaction Score
Hurley played the long game with him this past year. There was a reason he was basically shut down at the end of the year. It wasn't worth him playing 6 min a game, even if medically cleared because Hurley had to see the big picture. You could see it was a tough pill for Akok to take but I have confidence Hurley knew what he was doing and is high on Akok walking into next season as a starter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
4.8 points,
We got it the first few times you made the point. You think 4.8 for a freshman means he isn't any good. Repetition doesn't make you less wrong.

Reaction Score
Geez guys take it easy. Someone earlier had posted 4.8 and silly me believed it without checking. All I am saying is some people need to temper expectations.

Reaction Score
From Instagram

Back is huge. He’s going to be a monster this year.

Attachments

• C0BFDC99-E976-4114-B2B3-ADABA12887FB.jpeg
    C0BFDC99-E976-4114-B2B3-ADABA12887FB.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 129
Reaction Score
Forget about his averages for chrissakes, he has skills. If he can stay on the floor he is good enough but his body frame and skinny legs scare me.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He was the best player on the court at times during his Freshman year, especially in that Indiana game, so I think the ceiling is still high for him. I think they were optimistic on the timeline for the sake of the player, but realistically he wasn’t going to be close to 100% this past year. With something approaching a normal offseason and more time spent working on his body, there’s no reason to think he can’t get back on track where you’re seeing a high level defender that brings a different dimension offensively.

Sanogo and Whaley can probably be put in Sharpie as the starting front court but a healthy Akok opens up a lot of interesting possibilities, especially to keep teams from collapsing on Sanogo as he becomes even more of a force. If we’re going to continually bring a big out to the top of the key to clear out as we did with Whaley a ton this year, I’m much more comfortable with that guy being Akok who does have the ability to spot up or take a guy off the dribble and get to the rim.
Or knock down a three. He's had a lot of time to practice and he is very highly motivated. This could be exciting with all the incoming talent as well.

Reaction Score
I think Akok could be a first round pick in a couple of years. That’s how talented I think he is. It’s worrisome though that he hardly played this year.

I'm with you. I think he does ooze with potential. While it wasn't ideal that he hardly played this year but the upside is that he didn't get hurt in a free year.

Reaction Score
No, he didn't average 4.8 points as a freshman. Did you bother to look at ANY of the 100s of stats websites available? He averaged 4.8 points including this year. He was not a freshman this year. That's the kind of basic reading comprehension I expect from the remedial 14-year-olds I teach and they are close to illiterate.

The difference between 4.8 and 5.8 isn't much. He was offensively limited--no one is denying that. The need to tell blatant falsehoods is beyond me.
Maybe he is gearing up to run for office

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if his explosiveness off the floor returns. Hard working guy who probably is doing everything possible to get back to 100%, but an Achilles tear is no easy thing to recover from. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Akok is the biggest question mark this coming season and if he’s really good he could turn uconn from a good team to a top team. No outcome would surprise me, from barely being able to get on the court to being an all conference player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You can be a really good player dominating one side of the ball. Ask Baylor fans what they think about Mark Vital. And Akok has much more offensive upside than him.

Reaction Score
We can speculate this thing from now to the start of next season but no one actually knows what we'll get from him. We'll see when we see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom