How good can we be? | The Boneyard

How good can we be?

Reaction Score
I have no clue how good we will be next year.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I don't think there will be too much pressure on Hurley in his first season.

Sid and the transfers will help. I don't think we addressed our center position. We have a lot of redundant
6-8 guys. I know our guard play should be solid to dare I say great with the return of both Adams and Vitale and AG.

I think Coach Hurley will get the kids to buy into his system. I'm just curious if they can put it all together this year.

It will be interesting to see. I want to keep my expectations in check, but I think good guard play can overcome weaknesses.

I think an NCAA trip is a possibility.

Reaction Score
Other than improved coaching there is no reason people should assume we'll be much better.

The NCAA believers are drunk

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not very. Too much dysfunction from tire fire. Cupboard is bare. Starting from scratch. Worst roster in UConn history. We will be lucky to improve over last season and anything beyond that is a bonus. Hurley needs at least three to four seasons before we can be expected to sniff the NCAA.

@JMick and @Huskybass , do I have the talking points down?

Reaction Score
Not very. Too much dysfunction from tire fire. Cupboard is bare. Starting from scratch. Worst roster in UConn history. We will be lucky to improve over last season and anything beyond that is a bonus. Hurley needs at least three to four seasons before we can be expected to sniff the NCAA.

And to think I was about to @ you and suggest a truce for this thread.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I feel strongly that if our team keeps their feet on the ground and keep reaching for those stars then...wow. I am super excited.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm trying to keep my expectations down. We'd have to catch lightening in bottle to have a "good" season by UConn standards. I've said this before but what I'm hoping for is:

1) Competent offense that moves the ball with purpose to get open looks.
2) Three point defense, please god, let us have decent 3 point defense.
3) Beat mid-majors comfortably.
4) No 20 point + beat downs by opponents.
5) No quitting, especially on defense.
6) Chemistry, no negative body language, important for building the team back up.

If we get that we will have a shot at the NCAAs. I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think NCAA bid is a possibility. I wouldn't count on it. But the transfers help, Whaley, Carlton, Diarra all getting better as well as CV JA and AG all being back helps. Anyone taking AA's minutes is an upgrade. Wilson hopefully can fill TL's shoes (or be better). They should at least have a winning record.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And to think I was about to @ you and suggest a truce for this thread.
Trust your gut, consider yourself having done so, and build on it.

I think @8893 was driving with an old map on that one, not to say that there aren't others who might still pick from that otherwise well-curated grab bag.

Reaction Score
I feel strongly that if our team keeps their feet on the ground and keep reaching for those stars then...wow. I am super excited.
Keeping our feet on the ground was a big reason we couldn’t rebound last year and forget reaching for the stars how about reaching for a loose ball once in a while

Reaction Score
Here is what I believe will be improved...

1) Offensive cohesion/efficiency --> While Hurley's teams are not known as offensive juggernauts, it seems that he understands spacing, matchups, and having players be triple threats. The spacing on KOs teams has been abhorrent the last few years.
2) Defensive intensity --> There's a lot of JC/Bob Sr. in DH in that you will play D or you won't play.
3) Coaching consistency --> I think the players will finally know what to expect. KO seemed to be one type of guy on the trail, another during W's, and something very, very different during trying times. From the player's quotes, and of course grain of fluid salt bla bla bla, it seems like they already respect Hurley on a different level.
4) Toughness --> This may take a bit longer, but it spoke worlds to me that DH basically called out our returnees at his freakin' intro press conference to get tougher. We have been pretty damn soft the last 4-5 years in that the majority of our toughness came from sub 6-2 players.

All that being said, I anticipate 17-20 wins this year even with "the worst roster" we have had in years. Coaching, chemistry, and cohesion can make a world of difference.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
It's so hard to guess but we will know early. If we continue the trend of "no off-season improvement" from the last 3 years we will be NIT at best. Any hope for next year lies in current players at least starting down the path to their potential.

Reaction Score
There are so many variables:
  1. How much does Dan Hurley's coaching improve this squad?
  2. Is Alterique healthy?
  3. Does Jalen get support in scoring?
  4. Does decreased time make Vital more effective?
  5. Can Cobb (or another big man) give us a down low presence?
If all those things break our way, then there's no reason we can't be a solid team and get an NCAA bid.

But there's little reason to think all those things will break our way. Especially given 2. hasn't happened yet.

The range of possible outcomes is pretty variable.

Reaction Score

If it takes Hurley 3 or 4 years to "sniff the NCAA", we hired the wrong guy and not the one Calhoun and others have so lavishly praised.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Best guard play in conference. Really hoping our young bigs to improve. 20 wins is not out of the question.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to keep my expectations down. We'd have to catch lightening in bottle to have a "good" season by UConn standards. I've said this before but what I'm hoping for is:

1) Competent offense that moves the ball with purpose to get open looks.
2) Three point defense, please god, let us have decent 3 point defense.
3) Beat mid-majors comfortably.
4) No 20 point + beat downs by opponents.
5) No quitting, especially on defense.
6) Chemistry, no negative body language, important for building the team back up.

If we get that we will have a shot at the NCAAs. I think that is a reasonable expectation.
Frame this. My thoughts exactly.

Reaction Score
Top quarter in conference with outside shot at NCAAT.

Think we could throw up an impressive record for being an average team in a poor conference. Post season would be nice, but i really want a team that works hard and doesn't quit.

Reaction Score
It is not just that DH is a better coach which should account for 2 to 3 extra wins but that the players seem ...well, EAGER to listen to him and learn and move on from Ollie, which should account for another 2 or 3 wins at least. I think Uconn can easily finish with at least 4 extra wins (18-14) or even 6 (20-12) which could place them on the bubble, wrong side, but at least sniffing a bid, but in the end NIT easily.

I would have to see the full schedule. I know I made predictions in the past, would like to redo it with recent updates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom