How Donny Marshall helped guide relative Jaylin Stewart to Storrs | The Boneyard

How Donny Marshall helped guide relative Jaylin Stewart to Storrs

Reaction Score
"We've talked a lot since his trip here," Marshall added. "I've talked with his mom and his grandmother a lot, just asking about what the climate's like, what the fans are like. The diversity part of it is getting much better. Coming from Seattle, it's so gentrified. It's a different animal here. But when you're an athlete and people see what you've done on the court, you're a little immune to the race relations and the diversity, as a UConn player. It shields us from a lot. But also with that comes a huge responsibility to know that, like (Sunday), you are looked up to. You're a role model, even at 18, 19 years old. I think Jaylin will be able to handle that. He's a terrific player, he's a terrific student, which is big."

Interesting stuff about Karaban in here also.

Alternate access:

How former UConn men’s basketball player Donny Marshall helped guide relative Jaylin Stewart to Storrs

Reaction Score
Marshall believes it made perfect sense for both players to "strike when the iron's hot" and get NBA feedback before making their decision. He believes another UConn player should have done the same.

That player: Alex Karaban.

"I've got five, six really close friends who are NBA coaches," Marshall noted. "Ninety-nine percent of every text was about Karaban. All season long. Once they hit about 10-0, every text started with him."
The BBIQ and passing just pops. I noticed it very early on when I was doing my Net Plays charting. Even through his shooting came around slowly (first 3 games shot 28% from 3), he was still making a huge impact on games. He's definitely a "coaches guy". Bill Walton was practically orgasming during the PKI.

Reaction Score
The BBIQ and passing just pops. I noticed it very early on when I was doing my Net Plays charting. Even through his shooting came around slowly (first 3 games shot 28% from 3), he was still making a huge impact on games. He's definitely a "coaches guy". Bill Walton was practically orgasming during the PKI.
Clingan and Karaban might be Walton's favorite non-UCLA players

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Remember this thread from January? I remember.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Same.

But he was our sixth best player this year.…which is probably why we won the title.

Remove Karaban and Jackson from that team and Sanogo and Hawkins and Newton are doing a chinese fire drill (are we still allowed to say that, if not, no offense intended)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Remove Karaban and Jackson from that team and Sanogo and Hawkins and Newton are doing a chinese fire drill (are we still allowed to say that, if not, no offense intended)
But if you remove those 3 instead, Karaban is significantly less efficient, and can’t impact winning in nearly the same way.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He’s got a skill set that fits the role of nba role player to a tee - knockdown shooter with vision and passing ability. He prob plays the same role in the nba that he does in college. He’ll probably never be as good a college player as Sanogo, but where he fits into the way the nba is played is clearer.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Yep, incredible depth.

I would have Karaban as our 6th best player as well and I think he'll be an NBA player. Shows what a team this was.
If this years teams turns out to have four nba players on it and it could be five, it only proves that they are underrated. What they did and how they did it although it was noticed I believe on a national level the rhetoric was an ok team played well and lapped an ok field. From what I saw this was not the most talented team we have ever had but it was the best team…..emphasis on team! Hopefully as time passes what this team accomplished will be appreciated. I have watched every NCAA game at least three times each and most regular season games twice. Still can’t understand what happened in January but Hurley fixed it. If we had split those games we lost I think this team would be getting more attention as one of the best teams in modern college basketball.

Reaction Score
Good to see Donny with the assist.. Was beginning to think he wasn't "onboard" with DH after KO deal.. Stewart is going to be a baller

I feel like he was upset after not being considered for a UConn assistant coaching job. I could be wrong, probably am but might not be.

Reaction Score
I feel like he was upset after not being considered for a UConn assistant coaching job. I could be wrong, probably am but might not be.
TBH.. Never heard that before but still possible.. Think he enjoys being in front of the camera.. His lack of visibility/public view during our stretch run in the Tournament suggested to me that maybe Donyell's post about UConn BB guys not hyping the team ..in a positive way.. May have been hinting at Donny.. Just my two cents/grain of salt.. When Donyell said.. "You know who you are."

FWIW.. Glad to have him pushing Stewart to Storrs.. A positive sign for a variety of reasons..

Reaction Score
For the record, Donny and Jaylin are first cousins once removed, not second cousins. I can never remember this either and I like that Borges didn't even try to get it right "Or something like that" lol.

The grandchildren of your grandparents siblings are your 2nd cousins. This is his cousin's kid (same grandparent branch so still 1st cousins).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't get that at all. If he wanted to coach, he'd be a coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For the record, Donny and Jaylin are first cousins once removed, not second cousins. I can never remember this either and I like that Borges didn't even try to get it right "Or something like that" lol.

The grandchildren of your grandparents siblings are your 2nd cousins. This is his cousin's kid (same grandparent branch so still 1st cousins).
I think that’s the best I’ve ever heard this explained. Not that I’m going to remember it even 30 seconds after this post, but, well done.

Reaction Score
After the initial post about Stewart it took about 12 replies to get back to it. The BY at its finest I began to think this was about Karaban again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom