• Undefeated champions, a close call here or there

• 1 loss Champions

• 2+ loss Champions

• No Championship

Results are only viewable after voting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Posted this thread 2 years ago leading up to the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
96.5% of fans predicted UCONN would win the title, 72% predicted it'd be an undefeated season.

Figured I'd start a similar thread going into this year, as UCONN appears to be head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Honestly, I don't see anyone touching UCONN next year. This past season they went 36-1 last year after losing 3 All Americans, playing the toughest non conference schedule in the country and having a 6 player rotation with zero depth or major post presence. They return their 4 best players, bring in a loaded class and have a potential AA transfer who will be in the mix this year. The biggest issue for the Huskies might be balancing playing time as a lot of talent will be sitting on that bench.

Looking at UCONN's schedule, there are only a handful of teams that have a prayer of keeping the game close. I don't think anyone in the AAC will come within 25 of the Huskies this year. Out of conference you have 5 really good teams they'll face:

@ Texas-one of the best up and coming teams in the country that is loaded with talent. They'll be without Holmes though. This has potential to be a tight game if Texas's guards can create their own shots against the Huskies.

@ UCLA-a game I'll hopefully be able to attend! Another good team with some very talented players, I don't think they can hang with the Huskies though.

@ South Carolina-on paper, this should be the toughest matchup in the country as the Huskies may have a difficult time stopping Wilson, but SC has never been able to keep it competitive with Connecticut. This one could be interesting, but I'd put a lot of money on UCONN pulling this out.

vs. Notre Dame-always a dangerous team, but without Turner I don't think the Irish really have a shot to keep this one super competitive. They're very well coached, but Notre Dame will also have its weakest roster in years.

vs. Maryland-they play well against the Huskies, but I don't think they stand a chance in this one.

Only Texas and South Carolina look to be viable threats. If you look at the rest of the country, I just do not see any team out there with the skills and experience to contend with Connecticut. Mississippi State has a lot coming back but I don't think lightning will strike twice. Baylor and Stanford both lose a lot of talent, Oregon could be good but is still very young (and lost by 38 to the Huskies this year)...I just don't see anyone contending with the Huskies. I know there are similar threads, but thought I'd start one with a poll to gage numbers.

Reaction Score
I voted for 1 loss and the NC. We Husky fans can get used to the undefeated seasons but there's always an unexpected stumble along the way. The question asks us to decide, will they overcome and prevail, or be upset. I feel they'll be that off night and thus the upset.

Reaction Score
Posted this thread 2 years ago leading up to the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
96.5% of fans predicted UConn would win the title, 72% predicted it'd be an undefeated season.

Figured I'd start a similar thread going into this year, as UConn appears to be head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Honestly, I don't see anyone touching UConn next year. This past season they went 36-1 last year after losing 3 All Americans, playing the toughest non conference schedule in the country and having a 6 player rotation with zero depth or major post presence. They return their 4 best players, bring in a loaded class and have a potential AA transfer who will be in the mix this year. The biggest issue for the Huskies might be balancing playing time as a lot of talent will be sitting on that bench.

Looking at UConn's schedule, there are only a handful of teams that have a prayer of keeping the game close. I don't think anyone in the AAC will come within 25 of the Huskies this year. Out of conference you have 5 really good teams they'll face:

@ Texas-one of the best up and coming teams in the country that is loaded with talent. They'll be without Holmes though. This has potential to be a tight game if Texas's guards can create their own shots against the Huskies.

@ UCLA-a game I'll hopefully be able to attend! Another good team with some very talented players, I don't think they can hang with the Huskies though.

@ South Carolina-on paper, this should be the toughest matchup in the country as the Huskies may have a difficult time stopping Wilson, but SC has never been able to keep it competitive with Connecticut. This one could be interesting, but I'd put a lot of money on UConn pulling this out.

vs. Notre Dame-always a dangerous team, but without Turner I don't think the Irish really have a shot to keep this one super competitive. They're very well coached, but Notre Dame will also have its weakest roster in years.

vs. Maryland-they play well against the Huskies, but I don't think they stand a chance in this one.

Only Texas and South Carolina look to be viable threats. If you look at the rest of the country, I just do not see any team out there with the skills and experience to contend with Connecticut. Mississippi State has a lot coming back but I don't think lightning will strike twice. Baylor and Stanford both lose a lot of talent, Oregon could be good but is still very young (and lost by 38 to the Huskies this year)...I just don't see anyone contending with the Huskies. I know there are similar threads, but thought I'd start one with a poll to gage numbers.

I really don't understand why everybody is so high on South Carolina this year. They lost their #2,#3,and #4 scorers in Coates, Gray, and Davis. They are definitely talented but they are young and unproven as well. Honestly, I see them as a 4-5 loss team this year.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand why everybody is so high on South Carolina this year. They lost their #2,#3,and #4 scorers in Coates, Gray, and Davis. They are definitely talented but they are young and unproven as well. Honestly, I see them as a 4-5 loss team this year.

I thought I was crazy for thinking this too. They have one of the best players in the land, but other than that average at best. Maybe some of their role players will obviously step up, but definitely not the tough test they used to provide us and everyone else. Nothing to be ashamed of, Dawn is rebuilding her team and it takes a couple of years. Wilson will have a huge year but that's about it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Probably because they are the defending champs, have high expectations, and has had a top 5 team for the past 3 or 4 years now. It's just pure speculation on my part but I actually think this years team will be better then last year, solely due to the depth around Wilson. Yes last years team was talented but wasn't deep after the starting 5. Of course losing Coates, Gray, and Davis will hurt but we are now 2 deep at every position which will help tremendously in the long run. In terms of losses I'm not sure how much SC will encounter because I haven't seen the OOC schedule but I'm willing to bet they will win the SEC out right and the tourney. How much improvement the team makes during the season will determine a post season run IMO.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As to most dangerous opponents, Maryland lost their three best players. I'd rank Louisville and the Ohio State road game as tougher games than Maryland. I believe Holmes will be back before Texas and UConn play in January.

Reaction Score
Probably because they are the defending champs, have high expectations, and has had a top 5 team for the past 3 or 4 years now. It's just pure speculation on my part but I actually think this years team will be better then last year, solely due to the depth around Wilson. Yes last years team was talented but wasn't deep after the starting 5. Of course losing Coates, Gray, and Davis will hurt but we are now 2 deep at every position which will help tremendously in the long run. In terms of losses I'm not sure how much SC will encounter because I haven't seen the OOC schedule but I'm willing to bet they will win the SEC out right and the tourney. How much improvement the team makes during the season will determine a post season run IMO.

Just having numbers doesn't mean you have depth. Who on this year's South Carolina roster besides Wilson averaged over 9pts a game last year?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
96.5% of fans predicted UConn would win the title, 72% predicted it'd be an undefeated season.

Figured I'd start a similar thread going into this year, as UConn appears to be head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Honestly, I don't see anyone touching UConn next year. This past season they went 36-1 last year after losing 3 All Americans, playing the toughest non conference schedule in the country and having a 6 player rotation with zero depth or major post presence. They return their 4 best players, bring in a loaded class and have a potential AA transfer who will be in the mix this year. The biggest issue for the Huskies might be balancing playing time as a lot of talent will be sitting on that bench.

Looking at UConn's schedule, there are only a handful of teams that have a prayer of keeping the game close. I don't think anyone in the AAC will come within 25 of the Huskies this year. Out of conference you have 5 really good teams they'll face:

@ South Carolina-on paper, this should be the toughest matchup in the country as the Huskies may have a difficult time stopping Wilson, but SC has never been able to keep it competitive with Connecticut. This one could be interesting, but I'd put a lot of money on UConn pulling this out.

I was thinking of taking the trek up the 405 from San Diego and seeing the UCLA game, too. Do you Boneyarders ever meet up at games or does everyone prefer to remain anonymous?

Reaction Score
Just having numbers doesn't mean you have depth. Who on this year's South Carolina roster besides Wilson averaged over 9pts a game last year?
Bianca Cuevas-Moore averaged 9 ppg last year also a defensive center piece, without a doubt she could step up and score over 10 ppg this year as well as play good defense.

Ty Harris and Herbert Harrigan were freshman who received good play time for freshman who should make sophomore leaps. Harris was a starter and should be the most improved player on the team.

Alexis Jennings is a different player then she was at Kentucky. She has slimmed down, grew an inch, and has improved her overall game. She has the perimeter game that Coates didn't have and it opens up the lane more for Wilson. Dawn also allowing the bigs(Jennings, Herbert Harrigan, and L. Williams) to step out and shoot the 3 ball.

Aja will probably have her best season of her career. She's going to be playing at a different level, going out strong. She has enough players around her to get back to the FF. Outside of UCONN, SC will a very tough matchup for anybody. This will be a different SC team that Dawn has had in the past.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I was thinking of taking the trek up the 405 from San Diego and seeing the UCLA game, too. Do you Boneyarders ever meet up at games or does everyone prefer to remain anonymous?

San Diego here too...I've actually never been to a UCONN game (nor am I even a UCONN fan!) but good women's basketball is hard to find in this area so I'd definitely like to make the trip. I do know people on this board meet up at games from time to time.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

They've been a #1 seed or Final Four participant the last 4 years, have the favorite for POY in Wilson, and one of the better coaches in the country in Staley. That combo right there makes them lethal. SC also won the title without Coates during the tournament, so I think while losing 3 important players hurts, they'll be able to absorb the losses and build around A'ja. They also have good guard play returning in Harris and Cuevas.

When looking at preseason rankings, I've learned it's smart to put more stock in proven commodities rather than potential. Teams like Notre Dame and SC who have good coaching, proven results and a great player to build around aren't going anywhere. On the contrary, teams that have under performed in past seasons (ex. Duke, Tennessee, Ohio State) and look amazing on paper plus add in a big time recruit or transfer...those teams probably will not leap over the consistently better teams. SC will take a bit hit when Wilson graduates, but this upcoming season she'll keep them as a consistent top 3-4 team.

Also, perhaps more significant is that all top teams besides UCONN do not appear as strong going into this season. Mississippi State loses 3-4 important role players, Stanford loses their top scorers, Notre Dame loses two All Americans in Allen and likely Turner, Maryland loses their 3 best players, Baylor and FSU lose some of their best players, Oregon State loses Wiese, Washington loses Plum and Osahor, etc. There aren't other teams who look to be markedly better this upcoming year to challenge the top dogs besides the likes of maybe Texas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I went with the undefeated season with a close call or two. I had felt that the TX game in Austin would be a challenge, but that was before learning of the Joyner Holmes situation. Right now, everyone in Austin is saying all the right things, but you have to wonder if there isn't a more severe underlying problem with Holmes.

Even if Holmes does come back as planned on Dec 23, that doesn't give her a lot of time to get back her fitness level and game before the Longhorns face the Huskies.

Reaction Score
There's a huge group of former CT residents from the Villages in Florida who travel all over to UConn games.

Reaction Score
They've been a #1 seed or Final Four participant the last 4 years, have the favorite for POY in Wilson, and one of the better coaches in the country in Staley. That combo right there makes them lethal. SC also won the title without Coates during the tournament, so I think while losing 3 important players hurts, they'll be able to absorb the losses and build around A'ja. They also have good guard play returning in Harris and Cuevas.

When looking at preseason rankings, I've learned it's smart to put more stock in proven commodities rather than potential. Teams like Notre Dame and SC who have good coaching, proven results and a great player to build around aren't going anywhere. On the contrary, teams that have under performed in past seasons (ex. Duke, Tennessee, Ohio State) and look amazing on paper plus add in a big time recruit or transfer...those teams probably will not leap over the consistently better teams. SC will take a bit hit when Wilson graduates, but this upcoming season she'll keep them as a consistent top 3-4 team.

Also, perhaps more significant is that all top teams besides UConn do not appear as strong going into this season. Mississippi State loses 3-4 important role players, Stanford loses their top scorers, Notre Dame loses two All Americans in Allen and likely Turner, Maryland loses their 3 best players, Baylor and FSU lose some of their best players, Oregon State loses Wiese, Washington loses Plum and Osahor, etc. There aren't other teams who look to be markedly better this upcoming year to challenge the top dogs besides the likes of maybe Texas.

I agree that South Carolina is a great basketball team and will be right there at the end of the season. I just don't see them as head and shoulders above the other perennial powers like some do. Most posts have I read seem to think that SC will be UConn's biggest test this year, and I just don't agree with that. I think that come tournament time UCLA, Texas, Miss. St., and even Tennessee(addition by subtraction of DeShields) will be tougher match ups for UConn.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
There's a huge group of former CT residents from the Villages in Florida who travel all over to UConn games.
Thanks for that, Normqn. I have a 102-year-old mother and eight dogs who live with me but maybe I can get away for that game and find some transplanted Huskies to go with me. Sounds like fun.

Reaction Score
More than certainly agree---number "ain't" players--the same can be said about Uconn--potential is there--now will the potential live up to it's potential?? Until we are into mid Dec--nearly everything until then is pure hypothesis/speculation--but June, July, Aug, Sept --spell out speculation --in some language.

Reaction Score
More than certainly agree---number "ain't" players--the same can be said about UConn--potential is there--now will the potential live up to it's potential?? Until we are into mid Dec--nearly everything until then is pure hypothesis/speculation--but June, July, Aug, Sept --spell out speculation --in some language.

No, it can't. UConn is returning 3 All Americans, a member of the Canadian national team, and an honorable mention All American transfer. UConn returning players have ALREADY proven themselves.

Reaction Score
No, it can't. UConn is returning 3 All Americans, a member of the Canadian national team, and an honorable mention All American transfer. UConn returning players have ALREADY proven themselves.
No what can't --?? Potential is potential. 4 of Uconn returning players are all you say---(forgive this crude remark) yet they lost to MS St. They obviously are not perfect nor are they Stew, Tuck, Moriah, etc--a lot of expectation is being placed on Stevens and others--whom we haven't seen play this year.
Aw--I could argue this --and use old arguments--the fact is I hope all you say is correct about Uconn---I want Uconn WBB to succeed and go undefeated--the realist in me say USC has flaws and UConn has flaws--just hope Uconn's don't again bite them on the tail.

Reaction Score
"I'm shocked-shocked to find that gambling is going on in here."

Sorry, I couldn't resist myself. It's one of my all time favorite movie lines.
Claude Rains --used that line more than once--but not with the same impact as in Casablanca.
He was the same height as Danger---but doubt he could guard her.
Why I find that line so --insightful--is that it reminds me of many in the State or Fed governments--
nuff sed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom