• Undefeated champions, a close call here or there

• 1 loss Champions

• 2+ loss Champions

• No Championship

Results are only viewable after voting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I definitely do/did not agree with them. I tell them the same thing you just told me: Maryland? PLEASE!
I also said: Miss. St? PLEASE!
Overall I disagree with the notion that every time there is a upset, some other team not in the upset is "fortunate". And one other note on the SC fans not going West, this is still WCBB we are talking about where lack of attendance remains an issue.

I did not say Miss St? Please. I was very uncomfortable with UConn playing Miss St and said as much (though not on this board).

I never said and do not believe that every upset means another team is fortunate. I simply said and believe that UConn was fortunate in 2013 that Louisville shot out of its mind against Baylor. Baylor was a better team than Louisville except for that night. I also believe South Carolina was fortunate that UConn played so poorly against Miss State. UConn was a better team than Miss State except for that night. That's it.

Reaction Score
I definitely do/did not agree with them. I tell them the same thing you just told me: Maryland? PLEASE!
I also said: Miss. St? PLEASE!
Overall I disagree with the notion that every time there is a upset, some other team not in the upset is "fortunate". And one other note on the SC fans not going West, this is still WCBB we are talking about where lack of attendance remains an issue.

You ruin the entire set of comments on --Miss St. --have you not learned the art of:-- taking the low road??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did not say Miss St? Please. I was very uncomfortable with UConn playing Miss St and said as much (though not on this board).
I never said and do not believe that every upset means another team is fortunate. I simply said and believe that UConn was fortunate in 2013 that Louisville shot out of its mind against Baylor. Baylor was a better team than Louisville except for that night. I also believe South Carolina was fortunate that UConn played so poorly against Miss State. UConn was a better team than Miss State except for that night. That's it.

What was it about Miss. St. that made you uncomfortable?

" That's the beautiful thing about the NCAA tournament. For just one night we had to be the better team, and tonight we were."
Geno in an interview immediately after FF victory over ND in 2013.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love how much respect some UConn fans have for Mississippi State NOW all of a sudden.. I remember when the Huskies beat them by 60 points in the tournament and I was almost laughed off The Boneyard for suggesting that the margin of victory would be MUCH smaller if UConn and Mississippi State met again next year. Fast forward a year and not only was the margin of victory smaller.. but UConn actually ended up losing.

It's amazing how humbling ending up on the losing end just ONCE can be.

Reaction Score

Pretty fair piece---
If you posted your concerns about Mss St elsewhere--they don't count!
Your assertions about Louisville and Griner--apparently are true, but since Uconn did not play Griner--who kows.
I too believe, although we'll never know, that USC against Uconn rather than Ms St would have had a more difficult win--if a win!
Louisville and the refs--made every effort to mentally and physically take Griner out of the game--had the Refs called some of the fouls , as I believe they should have, it's Baylors game. Jeff W. isn't fearful of making a game miserable, sloppy, and unpleasant.
(the posting elsewhere comment was in jest)
In every upset--some team is ---fortunate (or it would not be an upset)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

This is what I posted elsewhere:

I'm hardly a worry wart but I find it a little unsettling that UConn has a rematch with a team it demolished by 60 points last year. UConn is the superior team in every respect and can only lose if they play poorly and MSU plays over their heads. Still, redemption from an embarrassing loss is a storyline we see in sports from time to time. Listening a little bit to Vic Schaefer's press conference today it's clear last year's loss still sticks with him and probably his players as well.

Reaction Score
I love how much respect some UConn fans have for Mississippi State NOW all of a sudden.. I remember when the Huskies beat them by 60 points in the tournament and I was almost laughed off The Boneyard for suggesting that the margin of victory would be MUCH smaller if UConn and Mississippi State met again next year. Fast forward a year and not only was the margin of victory smaller.. but UConn actually ended up losing.

It's amazing how humbling ONE lost can be.

Oh and let's not forget the pregame prediction thread where nearly everyone said that margin of victory would be the same and the game would be over at halftime. It just goes to show you that you never know when you'll meet your match...

Reaction Score
As dominant as any UCONN team has been! There are a lot of talented pieces to this puzzle!
Division I WBB should "buckle up they're in for a bumpy ride!" (my ALL ABOUT EVE quote)

Reaction Score

" That's the beautiful thing about the NCAA tournament. For just one night we had to be the better team, and tonight we were."
Geno in an interview immediately after FF victory over ND in 2013.

Over the years --That has been a constant comment or something akin to that---he also says, often, that getting to the FF and/or championship involves LUCK. If one believes that then it makes a more understandable Ms St and USC win.
Good question--What was there about Ms St that made the poster --uncomfortable???
With you Coco---I tend to believe--you'd think--Luck only happens with preparation --you are that kind of guy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is what I posted elsewhere:

I'm hardly a worry wart but I find it a little unsettling that UConn has a rematch with a team it demolished by 60 points last year. UConn is the superior team in every respect and can only lose if they play poorly and MSU plays over their heads. Still, redemption from an embarrassing loss is a storyline we see in sports from time to time. Listening a little bit to Vic Schaefer's press conference today it's clear last year's loss still sticks with him and probably his players as well.
Thanks. I would have never though along those lines ( redemption) before the game because Texas had a similar season long mantra regarding UCONN tournament beat down from 2015. When Texas got an opportunity the following year they had only marginally improved. Also understood that Vic came to UCONN and chopped it up with Geno-great move on Vic's part.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Oh and let's not forget the pregame prediction thread where nearly everyone said that margin of victory would be the same and the game would be over at halftime. It just goes to show you that you never know when you'll meet your match...

As much as I enjoy reading threads like this.. :cool:...... you just never know.

Reaction Score

SCspur & SCGamecock- - -Hey SoCar guys, don't celebrate too much as the MissSt. Semi game results happen to UCONN once every 4 to 5 years while it happens to the other top competition every season! Such as SoCar!
By-the-way, When was the last time SoCar beat UCONN?

Reaction Score
Yeah it sucks. Hopefully it doesn't happen again for the next few years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

If you have spent a lot of time on this board during the past 5 years, and you two clearly qualify, then you are going to find lots of examples of UConn fans being over-confident and lacking humility. That's what happens when you win 4 consecutive championships and 100+ games in a row. I suspect the same would be true of the SC board were it to have UConn's success. That said, there are plenty of posters who were here during the dark years (2005-2007) and later watched Notre Dame eat UConn's lunch for serveral games. So yes, a lot of us do know what it means to lose and a lot of us do know what it means to be humbled and a lot of us do know the folly of being over-confident.

Spare us the lectures.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I love how much respect some UConn fans have for Mississippi State NOW all of a sudden.. I remember when the Huskies beat them by 60 points in the tournament and I was almost laughed off The Boneyard for suggesting that the margin of victory would be MUCH smaller if UConn and Mississippi State met again next year. Fast forward a year and not only was the margin of victory smaller.. but UConn actually ended up losing. It's amazing how humbling ending up on the losing end just ONCE can be.
It's also amazing how motivating a loss can be= like 111 in a row.
Back.png

Reaction Score

I don't know which Uconn was HUMBLED BY THAT LOSS---but whomsoever that may be--he/she is drummed out of the corp
Eating that crow a dozen times was BAD--this seems a bit of piling one.
So to feed your ego--and make you feel good--You were right in 2016--when you suggest a tougher game in 16/17. Ok--now you can move on--
Howsome-ever--That was Stew, Moriah, Tuck, KLS Kia that did ms st in---had that sextet played them again--same results, even a year later--can you not understand WhY the "laughter" (sorry no sound effect on the Boneyard)--.

So I accept your prediction came out to be true--you should have put 10,000 on that game--foolish not to with that level of confidence.
Remember in 1960 that 10k would only be 500---not a big loss but huge win.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCspur & SCGamecock- - -Hey SoCar guys, don't celebrate too much as the MissSt. Semi game results happen to UConn once every 4 to 5 years while it happens to the other top competition every season! Such as SoCar!
By-the-way, When was the last time SoCar beat UConn?

Making an observation is celebrating? Who is celebrating?

Sure, I celebrated the night of.. but then SC won the championship (miraculously according to several of you) and I had an actual reason to celebrate.

Today I'm just stating the obvious.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure how fortunate SC was last year.
1) Placed out West by the selection committee away from the fan base that led NCAA in attendance.
2) Lost a dominant low post player WNBA 2nd pick for tournament
3) Won the national Championship with a Freshman PG.
4) Beat the team that knocked out UConn (Miss. St.) 3 Times last year by increasing margins each time.

The loss of Coates was not a positive, but missing UConn, Baylor, Maryland, and Notre Dame was. They had the easiest bracket of the #1 seeds, played Quinnipiac in the sweet 16, nearly lost to ASU, and beat a clearly mentally and physically drained Mississippi State team 42 hours after the UConn game.

That might sound like being harsh to South Carolina, but all of it is true. They won, and I'd rather win than not, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a fortunate road ahead of them. The only real difference between them and UConn is ASU played like the inferior team they are the last two possessions of that game.

As for 2013, UConn went through many more good teams that year than SC did this one. Sure Baylor got knocked out on the other side of the bracket but UConn was every bit as good as the Bears by the end of the tournament, if not better.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you have spent a lot of time on this board during the past 5 years, and you two clearly qualify, then you are going to find lots of examples of UConn fans being over-confident and lacking humility. That's what happens when you win 4 consecutive championships and 100+ games in a row. I suspect the same would be true of the SC board were it to have UConn's success. That said, there are plenty of posters who were here during the dark years (2005-2007) and later watched Notre Dame eat UConn's lunch for serveral games. So yes, a lot of us do know what it means to lose and a lot of us do know what it means to be humbled and a lot of us do know the folly of being over-confident.

Spare us the lectures.

You obviously felt targeted by my observation. I specifically said "some UConn fans" to specify that I wasn't making an observation about ALL UConn fans... but since you responded to me maybe this is just an attempt to smackdown a "guest" that's being too loud..

"So yes, a lot of us do know what it means to lose and a lot of us do know what it means to be humbled and a lot of us do know the folly of being over-confident."

Well if that's the case then I think it's obvious I wasn't talking to you when I made my observation.. and you proved that when you also said to Coco..

"I'm hardly a worry wart but I find it a little unsettling that UConn has a rematch with a team it demolished by 60 points last year. UConn is the superior team in every respect and can only lose if they play poorly and MSU plays over their heads. Still, redemption from an embarrassing loss is a storyline we see in sports from time to time. Listening a little bit to Vic Schaefer's press conference today it's clear last year's loss still sticks with him and probably his players as well"

So again.. my post obviously wasn't directed towards you so I'm wondering why you felt the need to be "spared of lectures"... Judging from your posts I wasn't lecturing to you in the first place.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The loss of Coates was not a positive, but missing UConn, Baylor, Maryland, and Notre Dame was. They had the easiest bracket of the #1 seeds, played Quinnipiac in the sweet 16, nearly lost to ASU, and beat a clearly mentally and physically drained Mississippi State team 42 hours after the UConn game.

That might sound like being harsh to South Carolina, but all of it is true. They won, and I'd rather win than not, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a fortunate road ahead of them. The only real difference between them and UConn is ASU played like the inferior team they are the last two possessions of that game.

As for 2013, UConn went through many more good teams that year than SC did this one. Sure Baylor got knocked out on the other side of the bracket but UConn was every bit as good as the Bears by the end of the tournament, if not better.
SC Carolina beat Quinnipiac by 42 points pretty much crushing both Cinderella's glass slipper and the pumpkin coach in the process. The committee did not send SC West anticipating them playing Quinnipiac.
After beating Quinnipiac SC beat FSU-that same team that took UCONN to the final possession to open the season. After beating FSU, SC then beat Stanford so both teams had a reason to be mentally and physically exhausted by the Championship game. The road ahead only becomes a road when you beat who is in front of you. When you don't beat who is in front of you, EVERYTHING else becomes what might have been, but wasn't. Something that wasn't is neither fortunate or unfortunate. It JUST WASN"T.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You obviously felt targeted by my observation. I specifically said "some UConn fans" to specify that I wasn't making an observation about ALL UConn fans... but since you responded to me maybe this is just an attempt to smackdown a "guest" that's being too loud..

"So yes, a lot of us do know what it means to lose and a lot of us do know what it means to be humbled and a lot of us do know the folly of being over-confident."

Well if that's the case then I think it's obvious I wasn't talking to you when I made my observation.. and you proved that when you also said to Coco..

"I'm hardly a worry wart but I find it a little unsettling that UConn has a rematch with a team it demolished by 60 points last year. UConn is the superior team in every respect and can only lose if they play poorly and MSU plays over their heads. Still, redemption from an embarrassing loss is a storyline we see in sports from time to time. Listening a little bit to Vic Schaefer's press conference today it's clear last year's loss still sticks with him and probably his players as well"

So again.. my post obviously wasn't directed towards you so I'm wondering why you felt the need to be "spared of lectures"... Judging from your posts I wasn't lecturing to you in the first place.

No, I did not feel targeted by your post nor does that matter. I was making an observation about the content of your post just like you made an observation about the content of (unspecified) posts on this board. This is a UConn board and there are all types of UConn fans here. Why some, particularly guests, feel a need to root out and shame the most zealous of us is a mystery to me.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No, I did not feel targeted by your post nor does that matter. I was making an observation about the content of your post just like you made an observation about the content of (unspecified) posts on this board. This is a UConn board and there are all types of UConn fans here. Why some, particularly guests, feel a need to root out and shame the most zealous of us is a mystery to me.

It shouldn't be a mystery to you when the most zealous of said fanbase typically end up replying to every post that guest posters make. If recalling how I was laughed at and disregarded for making an observation a year ago and relating that to the results of this year's game is rooting out and shaming zealous fans then I'm guilty... sure.

I'll be sure to put "Everybody except UConnCat" as a disclaimer in my future posts so that you won't feel targeted next time.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After beating FSU, SC then beat Stanford so both teams had a reason to be mentally and physically exhausted by the Championship game.

With all due respect, the Bulldogs defeating UConn in a physically and emotionally draining game, one that was basically their title game, is different than beating the Florida State Seminoles.

Shafer benched William for being out of it mentally. Kinda different than the UConn game.

Reaction Score
Making an observation is celebrating? Who is celebrating?

Sure, I celebrated the night of.. but then SC won the championship (miraculously according to several of you) and I had an actual reason to celebrate.

Today I'm just stating the obvious.

I'd like to piggy back off of this lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom