OT: - How does schools directly paying players impact the BE? | The Boneyard

OT: How does schools directly paying players impact the BE?

Reaction Score

"The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players...Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes."

BE schools cant share $20 mill in revenue with their athletes. I wasn't worried about competing with power schools in NIL but this is a different story.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football is much, much more expensive than basketball, and will suck up the vast majority of the $20 million at the top SEC and Big 10 schools.

Reaction Score
Football is much, much more expensive than basketball, and will suck up the vast majority of the $20 million at the top SEC and Big 10 schools.
Even if there’s only 3 mill left for basketball that’s still almost a quarter million for each scholarship player on top of nil

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Even if there’s only 3 mill left for basketball that’s still almost a quarter million for each scholarship player on top of nil

I suspect UConn is paying that already, and is able to go higher.

Football is in a tough spot, and won’t be able to compete with the top programs for talent, but we aren’t anyway. We need to be competitive with the best G5 until we catch a break on conference realignment, which could happen sooner than later.

Reaction Score
When the players are getting paid directly by the schools, the scope of NIL will decline. I'm not talking about marketing deals for top players like Paige Bueckers with Nike and Gatorade, but NIL deals that are essentially direct payments to players not controlled by the school. I doubt most "independent" NIL collectives will survive as now you will be able to donate directly to the school to pay players.

For UConn basketball, 20% of the Big East media deal could be $1.4 to $2 million for basketball players, so the Big East will be competitive in basketball. And, I don't think the scholarship increase potential will really impact college basketball as do you really want 15 basketball scholarships?

For football, UConn will need to get people to donate to support paying the players as there are no real media dollars right now. So, the UConn collective will have to stay in place for football, but it will be more openly controlled by UConn.

Reaction Score
When the players are getting paid directly by the schools, the scope of NIL will decline. I'm not talking about marketing deals for top players like Paige Bueckers with Nike and Gatorade, but NIL deals that are essentially direct payments to players not controlled by the school. I doubt most "independent" NIL collectives will survive as now you will be able to donate directly to the school to pay players.

For UConn basketball, 20% of the Big East media deal could be $1.4 to $2 million for basketball players, so the Big East will be competitive in basketball. And, I don't think the scholarship increase potential will really impact college basketball as do you really want 15 basketball scholarships?

For football, UConn will need to get people to donate to support paying the players as there are no real media dollars right now. So, the UConn collective will have to stay in place for football, but it will be more openly controlled by UConn.
I do not believe basketball will have the separation that football is heading to. Basketball is much easier to be competitive in as you can see nonP4 teams having success in the NCAA tournament. CFP is really only obtainable to 20 teams or less. I see in the future many schools downgrading football to “college” level or dropping it completely. UConn is elite in basketball and has a big following. I do not see that changing. The question is if there is no concern with UConn competing at top level of basketball then I do not see the relevance of UConn competing in football.

Reaction Score

Or certain posters can step up

Reaction Score
One major point that people are missing with the NCAA settlement. The settlement means that the NCAA men's basketball tournament is safe for the next decade at least as that is how the settlement is being paid.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One major point that people are missing with the NCAA settlement. The settlement means that the NCAA men's basketball tournament is safe for the next decade at least as that is how the settlement is being paid.

“Safe”

It will be expanded.

For us, we’re going to have to figure out how to plug a high-seven, low-eight figure addition to our athletic budget on less revenue. The budget that is currently a nightmare will become more of one.

Not sure how football will fare - I assume that we will have to offer something to continue to exist, but how that will work, no idea. NIL went very well for us - that will have to continue. But also, if roster caps really become a thing and Alabama now can only carry 85 scholarship players and can’t offer inducements to 35 preferred walkons, maybe there’s just more to go around? Who knows.

Also, Title IX is gonna be a mess.

Reaction Score
“Safe”

It will be expanded.

For us, we’re going to have to figure out how to plug a high-seven, low-eight figure addition to our athletic budget on less revenue. The budget that is currently a nightmare will become more of one.

Not sure how football will fare - I assume that we will have to offer something to continue to exist, but how that will work, no idea. NIL went very well for us - that will have to continue. But also, if roster caps really become a thing and Alabama now can only carry 85 scholarship players and can’t offer inducements to 35 preferred walkons, maybe there’s just more to go around? Who knows.

Also, Title IX is gonna be a mess.

Understanding that the NCAA tournament will exist for the next decade plus is a huge relief for the Big East.

Athletic revenues are growing again at UConn, so the key is to continue to grow football revenues as there is where the biggest upside is from here. And, you have to try to grow revenues for soccer, baseball, hockey, softball,... and make major efforts to fully endow some of the sports.

Until Mora had his financial support rant last Fall, I don't think UConn fans understood that we, as a group, needed to step up support.

Title IX is actually a win for UConn vs most schools as UConn already pays the women's coaches very competitively and UConn generates revenues from women's athletics (primarily basketball). Geno is making almost $3 million per year. The women's facilities are top notch as the investment has been made and NIL opportunities for women athletes is strong. Look at what the Husky collectives have been doing as they offer opportunities for both men and women. And D'Amelio's collective has been active in every UConn sport.

I have analyzed UConn's AD financial statements for years and to me, athletics administration and support seems bloated with costs. Here's a serious question: Why do we need a large compliance department anymore?

I'm optimistic that UConn will try to compete and is in a much better place than the majority of the G5 and even some of the P4, but getting a P4 invite is the real LT solution to get a new large revenue source.

Reaction Score
Understanding that the NCAA tournament will exist for the next decade plus is a huge relief for the Big East.

Athletic revenues are growing again at UConn, so the key is to continue to grow football revenues as there is where the biggest upside is from here. And, you have to try to grow revenues for soccer, baseball, hockey, softball,... and make major efforts to fully endow some of the sports.

Until Mora had his financial support rant last Fall, I don't think UConn fans understood that we, as a group, needed to step up support.

Title IX is actually a win for UConn vs most schools as UConn already pays the women's coaches very competitively and UConn generates revenues from women's athletics (primarily basketball). Geno is making almost $3 million per year. The women's facilities are top notch as the investment has been made and NIL opportunities for women athletes is strong. Look at what the Husky collectives have been doing as they offer opportunities for both men and women. And D'Amelio's collective has been active in every UConn sport.

I have analyzed UConn's AD financial statements for years and to me, athletics administration and support seems bloated with costs. Here's a serious question: Why do we need a large compliance department anymore?

I'm optimistic that UConn will try to compete and is in a much better place than the majority of the G5 and even some of the P4, but getting a P4 invite is the real LT solution to get a new large revenue source.
I love Olympic sports, but UConn has to make every effort to get football competitive again.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I love Olympic sports, but UConn has to make every effort to get football competitive again.
It really says all that you need to know about the school leadership and admin that we’ve been allowed to be this bad at the only thing that actually matters in the sake of conference realignment and potentially saving our athletic department for this long

It’d be like ignoring cancer treatments but getting your teeth whitened 8 years in a row. Just makes zero sense.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It really says all that you need to know about the school leadership and admin that we’ve been allowed to be this bad at the only thing that actually matters in the sake of conference realignment and potentially saving our athletic department for this long

It’d be like ignoring cancer treatments but getting your teeth whitened 8 years in a row. Just makes zero sense.
It gets to a point though where what else can they do that they haven't already done? Hiring RE again was a bad idea and many can argue the COVID decision. The admin can't force our school into a P4/5 conference and tbh, that's the only thing that could allow this program to become successful again. Being independent might be helping our bottom line, but not being in ANY conference is hurting us. We have had success when the BE was in the BCS. When that ended and we were stuck in the AAC, we floundered. Then admin did the best it could and saved our bread and butter to go back to the BE. Now it's time to look at the next step and find a way to the promised land but it's not as simple as snapping their fingers.

The Mora hire is a good one and the NIL influx looks like it should help. I just think it's unfair to now think we can be successful being in no mans land. It's not going to work yet it's our only choice because we aren't joining a G5 and having our bball take a step back. If a P4 calls, we're in and bball will be fine. However, it's looking less and less like this is happening.

Reaction Score
It gets to a point though where what else can they do that they haven't already done? Hiring RE again was a bad idea and many can argue the COVID decision. The admin can't force our school into a P4/5 conference and tbh, that's the only thing that could allow this program to become successful again. Being independent might be helping our bottom line, but not being in ANY conference is hurting us. We have had success when the BE was in the BCS. When that ended and we were stuck in the AAC, we floundered. Then admin did the best it could and saved our bread and butter to go back to the BE. Now it's time to look at the next step and find a way to the promised land but it's not as simple as snapping their fingers.

The Mora hire is a good one and the NIL influx looks like it should help. I just think it's unfair to now think we can be successful being in no mans land. It's not going to work yet it's our only choice because we aren't joining a G5 and having our bball take a step back. If a P4 calls, we're in and bball will be fine. However, it's looking less and less like this is happening.
3 consecutive bad coaching hires and regimes really set FB back for a full decade. It might be too late to recover, but for now in Mora and increased NIL we trust.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I don’t get why people keep regurgitating the same awful takes on conference realignment.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don’t get why people keep regurgitating the same awful takes on conference realignment.
So you think that UConn has supported football at an adequate financial level the last 10 years? Would love to hear you explain that take

Reaction Score
DB inherited a mess and is just now finished digging out and moving things in a positive direction across the board. Too little too late?? Too soon to judge. The opportunity for enough W's in FB to change the narrative is upon us. '24 7-5 '25 8-4 and whatever P2-4 looking to add won't have to hold their nose when they get near our FB program. Steady as she goes for Mens BB and some health for Geno wouldn't hurt either.

Not going to try to figure out all the lawsuits and rule changes, I'll leave it to Nelson to edify me.

Go Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom