How do you respond, if you´re KO? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do you respond, if you´re KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While everyone was (rightfully) excited about bringing in Gibbs and Miller, some people were concerned about relying on fifth-year transfers for success, rather than building kids up right out of high school.

We're starting to see why.

I'm all for snagging the occasional fifth-year transfer if he's a good team fit (see Kromah, Lasan), but there's no alternate to having guys in your program from the start. Let's hope this year's and next year's freshmen are the start of that.

Recruiting was in the toilet for 4 years -- we didn't have a choice but to bring in the 5th year guys. Seriously, between the high school/junior college classes of 2012 and 2015, we currently have 1 starting-caliber player (Hamilton), a few bench-caliber players (Facey, Brimah, Calhoun, Enoch -- though he should improve over 4 years, Adams -- though he will soon become starting-caliber), two guys who don't belong at this level (Nolan, Cassell), and a few others who didn't belong at this level and transferred (Tolksdorf, Samuel, Lubin).

That's why 3/5 of our starting lineup are transfers.

Hopefully next year's incoming freshman class lives up to the billing and we get a return to normalcy in terms of being a perennial contender built from the ground up.

Reaction Score
It will be Steve Enoch and Rodney Purvis who "show up". The problem is no one else will follow them!

This vid will be the rest of the team including KO/Staff!!!!!!! Trust me!!!!!!!!!! Not kidding!

Someone could rob the house, furniture and appliances with that watch dog.

Reaction Score
Not at all my point.

I'm all for adding fifth-year players when it's a good fit, which Miller (and Gibbs, for that matter) certainly is. But it's not a great way to build a contender.
Yeah, the best way to build a contender is to get Diamond Stone last year but we didn't and KO is getting the best talent he could and filling last year's holes. I for one admit that I thought we had enough talent to dominate the American. I guess was wrong.

Reaction Score
How about responding like this during the next game?

I don't think just yelling at people is the answer, it's not KOs personality. Also this clip is from 2011-2012, a year when had Drummond, Lamb and Bazz along with others and went to the NIT so I think it's a little over the top for people to pretend that Calhoun never lost games like this.

Reaction Score
I don't think just yelling at people is the answer, it's not KOs personality. Also this clip is from 2011-2012, a year when had Drummond, Lamb and Bazz along with others and went to the NIT so I think it's a little over the top for people to pretend that Calhoun never lost games like this.

Do we really need to go into the issues surrounding that team again? I mean JC made his mistakes no doubt but please, this team just played Temple in 2016 not Syracuse or Louisville.

Reaction Score
Do we really need to go into the issues surrounding that team again? I mean JC made his mistakes no doubt but please, this team just played Temple in 2016 not Syracuse or Louisville.

Not saying we need to go into that team again. I just believe what's going on is all that unprecedented or unique to Ollie. Temple isn't great but I've seen terrible losses before.

Reaction Score
I see a lack of team chemistry on the court right now. Poor chemistry will make good coaches look bad. I think we've been here at this point in the season before and we will either figure things out as a team or they will continue to lose winnable games.

Reaction Score
You start getting animated and being more of a sideline presence. That's what some of these kids need to reach their highest level, someone who gets in their face, someone who is pumping them the duck* up.

This is stupid. This is a grade-A hardo post. This isn't some beer league. "What went wrong last season coach?" "Well, I don't think I got them sufficiently pumped the duck up." C'mon.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
As frustrating as this is, right now I'm just chalking it up to a young coach who's still learning. Hopefully this kind of stuff is put in the rear view mirror in a few years.

Reaction Score
It may not be in KO's personality to yell like that but he can't allow poor play to go undisciplined. You make a bonehead pass, you sit. You don't hit the deck, you sit. Calhoun´s teams almost always improved as the year went on and I think the way he managed the games had a lot to do with this. Also, I have to note, gotta love how Calhoun pats Boat on the butt after he rips hims a new one in that clip! This is exactly why non-UConn fans hated Calhoun but what we all loved so much. He loved his players but no individual was bigger than the team. You ran his plays or you sat.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Consistently yelling or consistently being passive may not be the answer. but it's OK for KO to have a "JC" moment every few games or even a couple of times a year.

If you're only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails. If you don't have a hammer none of your problems look like nails.

Doesn't mean you have to go drill sergeant on them. But they should think it's a possibility worth avoiding.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm a fan of the quick hook. Letting your players commit the same mistakes over and over without discipline is actually hindering their progress as players. From my point of view, discipline is a great way to instill learning. But I'm also old school.

Reaction Score
That team actually made the NCAA Tournament that year and got stuck in the 8-9 game and lost to Iowa State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom