How do you respond, if you´re KO? | The Boneyard

How do you respond, if you´re KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm as frustrated as anyone after that game and agree that it's hard to stay positive but remember how you felt after the Louisville game in 2014 (yes, I understand there in no comparison between this Temple team and that Ville team). Perhaps this loss lights a fire under this team...it's all we can hope for! I thought Ollie did a miserable job managing in this game but I DO NOT believe that this TEAM lacks passion. Hamilton certainly did tonight and Ollie absolutely called him out on it in his press conference (which I think is a good first response...Ollie rightfully also held himself accountable and said he needed to look in the mirror). Hamilton seems like a fragile kid. How do you guys think KO should respond to tonight´s horrible showing? We ALL get on Hamilton when he´s too unselfish and we ALL wish he would be more assertive. Well tonight, he took the game over in a completely selfish way. What concerned me most tonight was the fact that Hamilton refused to hit the deck. Honestly, if you are Ollie what do you do with this team after a performance like this? Looking for constructive posts...the team isn´t going to start prepping for the CBI yet.

Reaction Score
What tools does a Necromancer use? Obviously this one didn't work:

1200x675

Reaction Score
Pretty well stated but let's not talk about Louisville '14 and Temple of '16 in the same breath. The Cards were really good, this loss is really bad.

Agree with much of what you say. When DHam saw that ball bouncing in front of him and was easily the closest but did not hit the floor I was beyond pi**ed off. I don't care who the hell you are the team comes before you and he did not do that. He would have sat right then and there for a while, W or L doesn't matter at that point.

This is hopefully where he as a coach is really good, this should be his wheelhouse. The reaction we see from this team on Saturday vs Memphis I expect to at least be passionate as hell to right the ship. KO should have them flying all over the court if he is what we think he is. We will see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The first thing he needs to do is look himself in the mirror and let last night's poor coaching sink in. Then he needs to gather himself and schedule a face to face meeting with Jim Calhoun for some guidance.

Reaction Score
The first thing he needs to do is look himself in the mirror and let last night's poor coaching sink in. Then he needs to gather himself and schedule a face to face meeting with Jim Calhoun for some guidance.

Have to say, a couple coaching decisions in games and nothing tells us he is ready to take a big hit, admit some mistakes. Time to do it soon, rather than throw DHam under the bus. His fault for keeping him in the game when he didn't give his body up.

Reaction Score
Have to say, a couple coaching decisions in games and nothing tells us he is ready to take a big hit, admit some mistakes. Time to do it soon, rather than throw DHam under the bus. His fault for keeping him in the game when he didn't give his body up.

With this seasoned coaching staff it's hard to imagine just how poorly we manage game situations sometimes. The talent disparity last night was immense, we should have won easy. No excuse for that crap especially when we've already lost 3 other games and 2 were not such good L's. I'm not saying we won't make the tourney, but for the first time this year I'm actually VERY concerned.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My first reaction was a midnight practice a la the one Calhoun held after the regular season-ending loss to Seton Hall at the Civic Center in 1997, rather than the day off to which Ollie alluded.

But then I recalled that we went on to lose in the first round of the BET a few days later, and then an uninspiring appearance in the NIT.

So, maybe a day off ain't the worst thing.

I really have no clue, except perhaps the realization that integrating two fifth-year transfers and a freshman into major roles on a team that was already lacking in leadership after the departures of Boat and Bazz may not be the easiest task.

Reaction Score
Lack of self accountability, lack of in game coaching bench roles or lack of execution of them. Lack of holding players accountable for performance. Lack of bench depth.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear who "takes the day off" while also knowing who shows up anyway. Because at that point you know who has al Ten Toes In and actually did look in the mirror.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You start getting animated and being more of a sideline presence. That's what some of these kids need to reach their highest level, someone who gets in their face, someone who is pumping them the duck* up.

That's not it, I think it's deeper. I saw some internal issues yesterday. Like Hamilton's berating of Purvis after Hamilton's bad pass, Purvis giving it back to him and Hamilton doubling down. Also, a couple of times they were arguing about the play they were supposed to be running. Ollie has to get everyone back on the same page.

Reaction Score
I really have no clue, except perhaps the realization that integrating two fifth-year transfers and a freshman into major roles on a team that was already lacking in leadership after the departures of Boat and Bazz may not be the easiest task.
While everyone was (rightfully) excited about bringing in Gibbs and Miller, some people were concerned about relying on fifth-year transfers for success, rather than building kids up right out of high school.

We're starting to see why.

I'm all for snagging the occasional fifth-year transfer if he's a good team fit (see Kromah, Lasan), but there's no alternate to having guys in your program from the start. Let's hope this year's and next year's freshmen are the start of that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For me it is simple. Get Hamilton down on the blocks. Stop running the offense through him. Team have absolutely figured out the 6th grade level offense we run with Hamilton at the top of the lane. They wait for it, trap him...he loses the ball. End that now. Hamilton is a forward and a good rebounder...get him around the basket. When they collapse on him there he can use his passing skills to get it to Miller or kick out to Gibbs or Purvis for three. When they brought Miller in, they changed how they use Hamilton. They have to reinvent this whole offense.

On defense...play the way they did for about 3-4 minutes toward the end of the game for the whole game. Last night they were lazy as hell on defense. Seemed like 75% of the Temple scores were banks shots or layups from the right side of the hoop. They seemingly never missed one of those either. At the end of the game, they went right back to it and we again failed to stop it.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear who "takes the day off" while also knowing who shows up anyway. Because at that point you know who has al Ten Toes In and actually did look in the mirror.

It will be Steve Enoch and Rodney Purvis who "show up". The problem is no one else will follow them!

This vid will be the rest of the team including KO/Staff!!!!!!! Trust me!!!!!!!!!! Not kidding!

Reaction Score
I would like yo read about a 12am practice someday. Although, the coaches need it as much as the players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The old rebounding drill, loose ball drills, etc. Team actually shoots well overall. They don't need skill development, they need "want some" development. Desperation can be a tremendous motivator.

Reaction Score
If I were KO I would bench Gibbs for Adams. Take a lesson from Fran Dunphy who benched a couple starters to start the first half.

Reaction Score
I would also start getting the ball down low to Miller, Enoch and even Dham. Those guys have some offensive low post skills. Probably the best core low post scorers we've had in a while.

Reaction Score
If I were KO I would bench Gibbs for Adams. Take a lesson from Fran Dunphy who benched a couple starters to start the first half.

Yeah let's do that, the guy who won the last game for us. Perfect.

Hey he was as bad as anyone last night I guess but the guy who your putting in there hasn't been very good all that much yet. He will be but for now, last night was the first time he'd been good for a while.

Reaction Score
While everyone was (rightfully) excited about bringing in Gibbs and Miller, some people were concerned about relying on fifth-year transfers for success, rather than building kids up right out of high school.

We're starting to see why.

I'm all for snagging the occasional fifth-year transfer if he's a good team fit (see Kromah, Lasan), but there's no alternate to having guys in your program from the start. Let's hope this year's and next year's freshmen are the start of that.
Question. Without Miller last night what would have been the result?

Reaction Score
Question. Without Miller last night what would have been the result?
Not at all my point.

I'm all for adding fifth-year players when it's a good fit, which Miller (and Gibbs, for that matter) certainly is. But it's not a great way to build a contender.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's do that, the guy who won the last game for us. Perfect.

Hey he was as bad as anyone last night I guess but the guy who your putting in there hasn't been very good all that much yet. He will be but for now, last night was the first time he'd been good for a while.
I've seen enough of Gibbs to know he's about the worst penetrating starting PG we've ever had. I'm not sure how you build on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom