How do you handle your feelings? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do you handle your feelings?

Do you do these things (no judgement)?

• I will bet against uconn. Hey if we win, I'm happy, if we lose at least I made some dough.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • I will turn the game off if we are down, but glimpse the score every few minutes until we go back up

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I can't watch the big games at all

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I'll never bet against my team; I'll never turn them off no matter the score

Votes: 106 69.3%

• Total voters

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My wife is a saint when it comes to me and UConn basketball. I used to be out of my mind during games but I'm a lot calmer now. Five championships have mellowed me out I guess. I don't bet much but I never bet against UConn. I watch/stay until the end of every UConn basketball game.

Reaction Score
A. I generally don't gamble so maybe a moot point, yet I doubt I'd enjoy betting against UConn even if I felt strongly it was a good bet b/c I don't enjoy gambling. I suppose if a friend who is a UConn fan were betting against the Huskies I would find this annoying and petition them to stop. But if some stranger on the boneyard or wherever is doing it I don't care.

B. The wife is better looking play is a humble brag

Humblebragging Makes People Dislike You, According to Science

I've been cussed out 6x in the last two days and smiled through it all. You vastly overestimate how much I care about whether or not people like me.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Oops, I did leave the DePaul game this year with eight minutes to go. My wife is a DePaul grad and she had seen enough.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'm such a homer, I always bet on UConn.

There's a commercial where they say you are about 50% more likely to have a heart attack if you are watching your team play!

Reaction Score
I'm such a homer, I always bet on UConn.

There's a commercial where they say you are about 50% more likely to have a heart attack if you are watching your team play!
Two things:
As a long-time serious heart patient, on rare occasions, I will turn off a particularly poorly played game just as self-protection.
One of the best pieces of advice from my late Dad, "Never bet on the Huskies or the Red Sox but never bet against them either".

Reaction Score
My wife asks me if I believe a game will be tightly contested or if we have a reasonable chance of losing. If I answer in the affirmative she will not watch it live with me. Instead she checks in periodically to see a score on an app on her phone all the while keeping herself preoccupied with some task.

If UConn loses I just delete the recording. If we win, she asks me how they played. If the answer is they played well, I am "duty bound" to watch the recording immediately after the game ends. Which is why I am rarely on this site immediately following those games and celebrating with the rest of the Boneyard. Best I can do is throw in a quick response before "suffering" another viewing. If I can't decide the game was played well I save the recording and she watches it by herself at a later date.

Once I asked her if we could reverse this role. I will omit that response.
Happy she’s at least positively involved!!!

Reaction Score
There's a few people here who post in every single thread about the spread for a UConn game betting against UConn. I very much enjoy seeing those people lose money

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Happy she’s at least positively involved!!!
She’s wonderful. Takes losses harder than I do. She used to watch all games live. Couldn’t take my negative comments about reffing or play and insisted I shouldn’t do it because it was wrong. She finally admitted it was the pain of losing that made her want to restrain my behavior.

She decided she was being unfair to me. Hence a solution was derived and now everyone is happy.

Reaction Score
i admit that i will turn off games late in the second half of a blowout.

i just did it the other day for creighton. i still check the score and did end up tuning back in for the end after we cut it down to single digits. turned it off so i didn't have to see the court storm, though.

Reaction Score
I will bet against UConn but will never turn off the game early, I'll suffer all the way to the end

Reaction Score
I bet against UConn if I think it's a smart bet to the same standard I use for all my bets.

I never root for the bet ahead of rooting for UConn. This is the Rubicon for betting against your team. As long as you are happy to lose the bet and always prioritize your team's result over your betting result, it's fine IMO.

Reaction Score
I've been cussed out 6x in the last two days and smiled through it all. You vastly overestimate how much I care about whether or not people like me.
That's the right attitude as it was intended as good natured ribbing, I was looking for the old twitter handle that specialized in reposting humble brags & that's what came up - the article heading made me chuckle. No offense intended.

Here's an article about Harris Wittels' (who unfortunately passed away) humblebrag account being hacked, he was much funnier than I tried to be about calling out humblebrags.

Reaction Score
That's the right attitude as it was intended as good natured ribbing, I was looking for the old twitter handle that specialized in reposting humble brags & that's what came up - the article heading made me chuckle. No offense intended.

Here's an article about Harris Wittels' (who unfortunately passed away) humblebrag account being hacked, he was much funnier than I tried to be about calling out humblebrags.
Wittels. What a legend.
Notice that one of the humble brags in this frame is Matt Norlander! Haaaaa!!!!

Reaction Score
Depends on the scenario. I never bet against them; unless I’m filling out a bracket and may consider it.

Reaction Score
Depends on the scenario. I never bet against them; unless I’m filling out a bracket and may consider it.
I think that's different. I don't always have UConn winning my brackets. That's just homerism. I'm a Denver Broncos fan but I'd be foolish to drop money on them to win the superbowl next year.

Reaction Score
I bet against UConn if I think it's a smart bet to the same standard I use for all my bets.

I never root for the bet ahead of rooting for UConn. This is the Rubicon for betting against your team. As long as you are happy to lose the bet and always prioritize your team's result over your betting result, it's fine IMO.
I went to bed depressed after the Creighton game despite winning like $250 across 4-5 different bets that all hit.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You aren't a real fan if you're betting against UConn. You aren't a fan if you're leaving the arena early or turning the game off when we're losing. I will never change my mind on this.
Betting against UConn (or whatever team you’re a fan of) is like having car insurance. You hope to never see that money come back to you, but in case of a crash you are glad you have it.

Reaction Score
Betting against UConn (or whatever team you’re a fan of) is like having car insurance. You hope to never see that money come back to you, but in case of a crash you are glad you have it.

Sure. It also makes you a bad fan.

Reaction Score
It's asinine to bet against your team, ever. Period. Find a new school. I'd rather puke blood for a decade than have "emotional insurance" against UConn. I'm disgusted just thinking about it.

Should I put money on my wife divorcing me as insurance? Well... probably. She's fitter, better looking, smarter, and makes more money than me. But I'm still not doing it on principle.
I think I have a solid exception to being asinine … last year I had UConn to win the natty for $50 paying 27-1. I hedged by taking the SDSU money line, guaranteeing me about $1400 win or lose. It felt great, not asinine.

I also bet that I was going to die younger than expected … damn life insurance.

Reaction Score
I can't separate the 2. I once found myself in a close head-to-head matchup in fantasy football and, in spite of my self, my ego inwardly cheered for my fantasy qb when he threw a TD against my actual favorite team. That's when I said "never again". Fool's gold.

(BTW, the shirt came and I love it. Any chance of headbands coming back in stock I'm all over it)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom