How do you handle your feelings? | The Boneyard

How do you handle your feelings?

Do you do these things (no judgement)?

• I will bet against uconn. Hey if we win, I'm happy, if we lose at least I made some dough.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • I will turn the game off if we are down, but glimpse the score every few minutes until we go back up

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I can't watch the big games at all

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I'll never bet against my team; I'll never turn them off no matter the score

Votes: 106 69.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I have come across some sports fans over the years who are so emotionally invested in their teams performance that they can't even watch the games for fear of seeing anything but complete dominance from beginning to end.

This is the extreme. But I've seen thread posts where fans admit to betting against us to protect their feelings if we lose; or will turn the game off if we are down.

I hope the anonymity of this poll will give a good picture of what we do when the nervousness gets too much to handle.

Reaction Score
You aren't a real fan if you're betting against UConn. You aren't a fan if you're leaving the arena early or turning the game off when we're losing. I will never change my mind on this.
Betting against your team doesn’t mean you don’t believe in them. It’s emotional insurance. No one feels good about winning that money. Unless you bet too much which is a different type of problem.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My wife asks me if I believe a game will be tightly contested or if we have a reasonable chance of losing. If I answer in the affirmative she will not watch it live with me. Instead she checks in periodically to see a score on an app on her phone all the while keeping herself preoccupied with some task.

If UConn loses I just delete the recording. If we win, she asks me how they played. If the answer is they played well, I am "duty bound" to watch the recording immediately after the game ends. Which is why I am rarely on this site immediately following those games and celebrating with the rest of the Boneyard. Best I can do is throw in a quick response before "suffering" another viewing. If I can't decide the game was played well I save the recording and she watches it by herself at a later date.

Once I asked her if we could reverse this role. I will omit that response.

Reaction Score
The only time I've left a game early was against Indiana at MSG in 2019, but only because me and my friend drank way too much and had to go before we puked all over the seats in front of us

Unless I have plans that need me to turn off a game early and leave, I don't think I've ever turned off the TV during the game. Up 30 or down 30, I'm watching until the final buzzer

Fox is pretty good about getting full game replays up really quickly after the game, so if I have to miss a game then I'll watch the replay as soon as I can. I'll spoil it for myself by checking the box score throughout the game, but will avoid the BY until I've watched

Otherwise, I'm watching every game. Luckily my wife has even learned to ask if UConn is playing before making plans :)

Not a betting man, but if I was then I would never ever bet against UConn. Major risk to the mojo

Maybe this makes me a casual fan, but at the end of the day I won't let a loss ruin my day. Be sad/mad for a few minutes, then get over it. At the end of the day I don't want the athletic performance of a bunch of 18-22 year olds affect my mood too much lmao

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I handle mine better then some here I suppose. Wait for it...

Season 6 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Reaction Score
Betting against your team doesn’t mean you don’t believe in them. It’s emotional insurance. No one feels good about winning that money. Unless you bet too much which is a different type of problem.

It's asinine to bet against your team, ever. Period. Find a new school. I'd rather puke blood for a decade than have "emotional insurance" against UConn. I'm disgusted just thinking about it.

Should I put money on my wife divorcing me as insurance? Well... probably. She's fitter, better looking, smarter, and makes more money than me. But I'm still not doing it on principle.

Reaction Score
It's asinine to bet against your team, ever. Period. Find a new fanbase.

Should I put money on my wife divorcing me as insurance? Well... probably. She's fitter, better looking, smarter, and makes more money than me. But I'm still not doing it on principle.
Ever heard of a prenup?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's asinine to bet against your team, ever. Period. Find a new school. I'd rather puke blood for a decade than have "emotional insurance" against UConn. I'm disgusted just thinking about it.

Ever heard of a prenup?
Sounds like she made him sign one.

Reaction Score
Can't answer because I will never bet against UConn, but sometimes I do turn the game off for a bit when we are struggling because I hope it will change things

Reaction Score
Maybe this makes me a casual fan, but at the end of the day I won't let a loss ruin my day. Be sad/mad for a few minutes, then get over it. At the end of the day I don't want the athletic performance of a bunch of 18-22 year olds affect my mood too much lmao

This is key. Took me a long time to get to this point.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Would never bet against my team and there are times where I walk away from the tv for a few min out of frustration, but I always watch until the end. I wasn’t too upset over the Kansas or Creighton losses bc those were tough games but the SH loss was one where I was genuinely p!$$ed.

Reaction Score

A. I generally don't gamble so maybe a moot point, yet I doubt I'd enjoy betting against UConn even if I felt strongly it was a good bet b/c I don't enjoy gambling. I suppose if a friend who is a UConn fan were betting against the Huskies I would find this annoying and petition them to stop. But if some stranger on the boneyard or wherever is doing it I don't care.

B. The wife is better looking play is a humble brag

Humblebragging Makes People Dislike You, According to Science

Reaction Score
Would never bet against my team and there are times where I walk away from the tv for a few min out of frustration, but I always watch until the end. I wasn’t too upset over the Kansas or Creighton losses bc those were tough games but the SH loss was one where I was genuinely p!$$ed.
Yes. I admit that if they are getting beat handily I may play with my son a bit more, or be focused more on the chat. It's hard for me to say "way to go Newt" if he hits a 3 when we have pretty much lost by dbl digits. I wish I could

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Nah, I got her when she was still doing her PhD. Early investment so one day I can become a trad-husband.
She may be smarter than you but your outmaneuvering of her makes you one up on strategic ability.

I give my wife credit for improving my memory. I used to lose many arguments with a vague feeling I did or did not say or do something my wife stated happened. As a result I eventually improved my memory to the point I knew with certainty I did or did not say or do something my wife stated happened.

The next phase of our marriage was challenging her specifically about it. Going into photographic detail exactly what took place. Unfortunately for me it did not result in the outcome I naively believed should have happened with an accurate accounting as support for my defense. I must admit I did not capitulate quickly. Years went by before I learned to employ the best response in that circumstance - "yes dear", followed up years later with "yes dear, I'm sorry!" I do take great satisfaction in knowing that I indeed did or did not say or do something that my wife stated happened. Internal celebration is a victory that should never be undervalued.

Reaction Score
A. I generally don't gamble so maybe a moot point, yet I doubt I'd enjoy betting against UConn even if I felt strongly it was a good bet b/c I don't enjoy gambling. I suppose if a friend who is a UConn fan were betting against the Huskies I would find this annoying and petition them to stop. But if some stranger on the boneyard or wherever is doing it I don't care.

B. The wife is better looking play is a humble brag

Humblebragging Makes People Dislike You, According to Science
Ha. I mean, I think I'd dislike the husband, who brags that he is better looking than his wife, a hell of a lot more.

Reaction Score
Ha. I mean, I think I'd dislike the husband, who brags that he is better looking than his wife, a hell of a lot more.
True, even less reason to bring that up in a thread about not betting against the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I will turn off the TV from time to time if the other team goes on a run and ties/takes the lead. This is because obviously my watching the game is causing bad luck. I can check the score on my phone and when it turns around I have been cleansed of my bad luck and can watch it on TV again. Don't ask me why these are just the rules.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I married my wife for her intelligence and her beauty. Definitely smarter and better looking than me. The beauty part never cost me so, humblebrag or not, I have no problem saying this dude was lucky to marry someone better looking than him. In my next life I'm signing up for beautiful and dumb. There needs to be a balance with relationship argument losses.

Reaction Score
If you’re at the game in person and UConn is winning by 30+ and there’s a minute left, is that an acceptable time to leave to beat the traffic? Asking for a friend…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom