How do you beat UConn? | The Boneyard

How do you beat UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive been reading the articles and been watching the videos and TV and nobody has an answer. Well I have an answer. When you can find 5 players who can defend Stewie one on one then you have a team that can defend UConn one on one. Next question is when you find those 5 players then you need 5 players who can out score UConn. Can it be done? Not by any of the teams in the FF this year.

We kept hearing about MD height. Well how will MDs height handle UConns height. If Stewie is impossible to defend how will MD defend her. Or do they let her go wild and try to stop everybody else? We keep hearing that MDs guards are great shooters and penetrators. Good but how will they score with UConns defense and who will they score with UConns height. I expect Tuck and Stokes underneath and Stewie up top. Go head opponents try and shoot over her?

UConn is to balanced on both sides of the ball and to quick for any team in the FF to challenge them. Vegas has UConn a 23+ favorite over MD. I think that's a little short. I think the margin of victory will be over 25 and Geno will clear the bench to avoid injuries and exhaustion for Tuesday nite.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dayton knows how to beat UConn - move the ball well, go inside and out, and hit all of your shots, well 70% anyway. Then, run like hell up the floor and get a hand in the Huskies' faces. Face guard Kaleena, bump Stewie around, and pray the rest of the bunch can't make their shots. Play with 100% effort.

Now, do it for 40 minutes :) That's the tough part.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Have an awfully good day while the Huskies have an awfully bad one. That is the only way. Either by itself won't be enough.

Reaction Score
I may get some backlash but I feel I need to speak on it. Stewie got over on a couple foul calls in the 2nd half on the offensive end that could of potentially changed the momentum at certain points in the game. Although I think Uconn would of still won the game I hope the refs are better at blowing their whistles and more importanly the timing of the whistles.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
11051865_414120528766040_2922733670578182260_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I may get some backlash but I feel I need to speak on it. Stewie got over on a couple foul calls in the 2nd half on the offensive end that could of potentially changed the momentum at certain points in the game. Although I think Uconn would of still won the game I hope the refs are better at blowing their whistles and more importanly the timing of the whistles.
I see. Then tell the NCAA Men's refs to make sure to call fouls evenly against Duke and Kentucky. And take away a few of John Wooden's championships because they used to get all of the calls. You build a program from nothing, win a few championships, develop a reputation as a solid defensive team and you earn the right to get calls. This is the history of basketball at any level. See, Auerbach,Red.

Reaction Score
I see. Then tell the NCAA Men's refs to make sure to call fouls evenly against Duke and Kentucky. And take away a few of John Wooden's championships because they used to get all of the calls. You build a program from nothing, win a few championships, develop a reputation as a solid defensive team and you earn the right to get calls. This is the history of basketball at any level. See, Auerbach,Red.
Be careful what you speak about Duke mens program. You're skating on a dangerous line :mad:

HGN

Reaction Score
At this time of year you Pray a lot.....And hope for Devine Intervention.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What would a day be in the NCAAs without your daily shot of TonyC!:)

Reaction Score
Tie their shoelaces together. Or put a laxative in their water bottles.

Reaction Score
If they call all the fouls when teams hack Stewie, then they can call all the fouls Stewie might make, because the other team won't have any players left. Stewie gets hammered every time she goes inside, and if they called fouls on the other team, 4 or 5 players would foul out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jeepers creepers, when is cockhornleghorn going to chime in? He's been vocal over on VolNation trying to whip up support. Oh, wait, maybe he is over in Muffet land? I'll check. Nope, not there. You're as tight lipped as Dawn about how you can beat UConn???

Reaction Score
This is really bad mojo. Foul troubles on Mojet and Stewie, and Uconn goes down. Specially Mojet. Team does run as well at all when she is out resting. In the FF, doesn't take much to lose. Even UCONN.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The entire UCONN starting five contracts amoebic dysentery prior to tipoff.

Wait, even that might not be enough. Our second five might be 50/50 to beat Maryland anyway.

Reaction Score
If they call all the fouls when teams hack Stewie, then they can call all the fouls Stewie might make, because the other team won't have any players left. Stewie gets hammered every time she goes inside, and if they called fouls on the other team, 4 or 5 players would foul out.
Kind of my point. Against Dayton they did call the fouls on Dayton players but not Stewie. I don't want you to think I'm calling out just Uconn game the South Carolina game was just as bad.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Nah, there's a couple of game announcers who will help you add on a dozen or so fouls to the UConn total because like you they happen to see the games so much better than the refs. Not sure as a Blue Devils fan that you have watched many UConn games, but for every play that Stewie "got over" (whatever that means), there are ten other plays where defenders are trying to twist her arm out of a socket or send her into the 6th row seating. And for a Dukie fan, I must say it's just really really lame to bring these things up since both the mens' and women's teams are famed for flopping if someone puffs on them or plowing into completely set defenders like Alana Beard specialized in and still getting blocking calls back when Duke was decent enough for the refs to give them a call.

90% of the crap thrown at UConn as teams try to bump them off their game never gets called, so the refs maybe throw the Huskies an occasional bone to make up for all the other whistle swallows, which to be fair to them would make the games excruciating if everything was called. Duke, sad to say, has long since left that hallowed arena where they get the calls because teams know that JPM is their best friend and will make sure that the Devils get egged.

Reaction Score
Here are two stats that I think speak to Maryland's chances against UConn. 8 minutes into the second half Dayton had scored 5 points in the half. Against Tennesee, 9 minutes and 35 seconds into the first half Maryland had scored 7 points. I think there will be enough offensive droughts for Maryland that they'll have little chance of finishing within 20 points.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Jeepers creepers, when is cockhornleghorn going to chime in? He's been vocal over on VolNation trying to whip up support. Oh, wait, maybe he is over in Muffet land? I'll check. Nope, not there. You're as tight lipped as Dawn about how you can beat UConn???
I see I have a stalker. I almost never post on Vol Nation and I haven't found any active ND boards.

Reaction Score
IMO, this game will not be pretty for MD after the 8 minute mark.......Brenda had done a good to this point........Geno wants to run away and hide on Sunday......Its UCONN time to shine..........

Reaction Score
the formula this year seems to be wait until two all american starters graduate and play them when they are on the road and haven't had time to incorporate the new talent. But I really don't think we should be giving these secrets out.

Reaction Score
Nah, there's a couple of game announcers who will help you add on a dozen or so fouls to the UConn total because like you they happen to see the games so much better than the refs. Not sure as a Blue Devils fan that you have watched many UConn games, but for every play that Stewie "got over" (whatever that means), there are ten other plays where defenders are trying to twist her arm out of a socket or send her into the 6th row seating. And for a Dukie fan, I must say it's just really really lame to bring these things up since both the mens' and women's teams are famed for flopping if someone puffs on them or plowing into completely set defenders like Alana Beard specialized in and still getting blocking calls back when Duke was decent enough for the refs to give them a call.

90% of the crap thrown at UConn as teams try to bump them off their game never gets called, so the refs maybe throw the Huskies an occasional bone to make up for all the other whistle swallows, which to be fair to them would make the games excruciating if everything was called. Duke, sad to say, has long since left that hallowed arena where they get the calls because teams know that JPM is their best friend and will make sure that the Devils get egged.
You're completely off. Ive watched just as many uconn games as duke because I enjoy well spaced offense and not just one on one play. I was making a simple observation about the game and you turn it to a Duke vs Uconn issue (not sure why). You say duke is notorious for flopping in both sports, yet you give an example of someone that played for Duke almost a decade ago? Im not going back n forth over Duke mens because the past years dating back to Nolan Smith freshman year Duke plays hard not to sure about the flopping you're talking about and I'm 99.8% sure you can't give examples you're just talking to validate a point. I will admit Coach K teams does get favorable calls, but as a Uconn fan stated it's more so with the history of the program not flopping... Good luck against Maryland

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You're completely off. Ive watched just as many uconn games as duke because I enjoy well spaced offense and not just one on one play. I was making a simple observation about the game and you turn it to a Duke vs Uconn issue (not sure why). You say duke is notorious for flopping in both sports, yet you give an example of someone that played for Duke almost a decade ago? Im not going back n forth over Duke mens because the past years dating back to Nolan Smith freshman year Duke plays hard not to sure about the flopping you're talking about and I'm 99.8% sure you can't give examples you're just talking to validate a point. I will admit Coach K teams does get favorable calls, but as a Uconn fan stated it's more so with the history of the program not flopping... Good luck against Maryland
Never said Beard was noted for flopping, just driving into defenders to get foul calls, as I'm guessing the decade ago (actually more than a decade since even her senior year at this point) is the player you're referring too. If you are sensitive to the fact that Duke is infamous for the flops over the years, I can understand, and pulling up the videos of the Duke games through the years and giving flopping ratings would indeed by an entertaining though time-consuming exercise. Interesting question about the Duke men, and I post a query over on the men's board about what their observations have been.

As for the simple observation of the game, I simply observed that playing up something you call "going over" on a few plays is a tad over the top when a player like Stewie is routinely grabbed, whacked, twisted and otherwise physically "gone over" in ways that don't jive with the rules of what can be done on the court. And also, watch the games a little more and you will see that often when Stewie is skying for a rebound, an opponent will back under her to try to knock her legs out, which I guess I would call "going under."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom