How do we fix recruiting? | The Boneyard

How do we fix recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the real question.

The fact is the offense was bad because, at any point, there was 2 or 3 players on the floor the other team just simply didn't have to guard.

Lubin, Facey, Nolan, Calhoun, Samuel, Cassell, as much as they try are simply just not offensive threats.

The caliber of player, skill wise, just needs to get better if we want to keep offensive output consistent.

I think Ollie has every advantage in recruiting there is. He is charismatic, he's got a ring, he's proven in the NBA, he's put players in the NBA already. I would run through a wall for this guy. Fact is, he was in the NBA while the AAU culture rose up thought. We need to get a guy in here with serious AAU connections. I think that means someone on the staff might need to make way.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We're no longer under any sanctions in terms of reduced scholarships, number of days on the road or number of coaches we can send out. As a result, each of our last three classes has improved upon the one before it. We have a borderline 5-star PG and a 4-star, skilled big coming in this class, and will probably add at least one more player.

Recruiting is fine, and getting better. Far more important is the improvement curve of guys like DHam, Amida and Rodney.

Reaction Score
There are people on the Boneyard that would have a shot in a game of horse, that's how bad the shooting situation is with a lot of our roster. Time for the staff to step it up.

Reaction Score
Putting aside whatever changes to the staff are necessary, and based on the results I would have to think a recruiting assistant should be a priority, I'm not convinced that the AAC isn't a drag on recruiting. I just cannot imagine that we'd be struggling with these plan C and D guys if we could sell a schedule that includes league games against Duke, Carolina, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Virginia, etc. as opposed to Tulsa and Cincinnati.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a great question. One year off of a National Championship with our history and we landed only 2 local kids. Granted one is really good and one has some good potential, but something is missing from recruiting at this point. Some are saying the recruiting assistants need to change. But I'm not sure what the actual problem is. UCONN IS on MANY kids' lists. So why aren't we landing more for next year and following? It's a fair question I think and one I don't have an answer to.

Is it really our conference? If so then I guess there's not much better that can be done aside from hoping for a new conference, and looking to assistants who can get higher skilled kids...

Reaction Score
We should fire Andre LaFleur!!

Yeah what was with that deleted post that was saying Andre needs to be fired? He hasn't been part of the program in like 5 years. Fire Dave Leitao!

Reaction Score
You just named the 3 guys on the team I'm not worried about.

Fact is, the last couple of years, even with the momentum we have on the court, we are still ending up with our third or forth choice guys in most situations instead of first or second.

We're not even losing these guys to Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. It's like VTech and UNLV and Oregon or NC State. We're just not taking advantage of our momentum on the court right now.

(you got me. in my post game rage I typed LaFleur instead of Hobbs)

Reaction Score
Calhoun, TSam, and Phil also are not integral parts of next year's offense, and don't need to be. If we can get solid secondary minutes out of them, that's great. This offense moving forward runs through a Adams, Brimah, perhaps Enoch, and grown-up versions of Purvis and Hamilton. Secondary contributions from Lubin, Phil, TSam, and Omar would just be gravy.

Reaction Score
The fact is that, with the conference situation, every season we waste in recruiting by not taking advantage of the ships and Ollie is exponentially worse. We've already gone through one recruiting season I'd call average at best. This performance on the court this year won't help next years.

If we put a few of these together back to back and nothing happens in re-alignment......this is my concern. Do whatever it takes to get an established AAU recruiter on this staff. We don't need 3 head coaches on the bench.

Reaction Score
Putting aside whatever changes to the staff are necessary, and based on the results I would have to think a recruiting assistant should be a priority, I'm not convinced that the AAC isn't a drag on recruiting. I just cannot imagine that we'd be struggling with these plan C and D guys if we could sell a schedule that includes league games against Duke, Carolina, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Virginia, etc. as opposed to Tulsa and Cincinnati.
Agree its certainly an advantage to our competition. "Why go to UConn to play against x, y and z when you can play a, b and c?" This is even more acute when the best players in the nation are in other conferences.

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned about player development than recruiting.

Calhoun, TSam and Phil are all the same player or worse than they were as freshmen.

I'm holding out on Lubin.
But let's face it.....they are all very flawed players and not top level recruits. Recruiting needs to improve, period. Too many projects leads to too few wins.

Reaction Score
Its the Conference - no top recruit is going to go to a team that's in a conference that only gets 2 bids into the NCAAs. If we were in the Big East - our recruiting would step up

Reaction Score
Its the Conference - no top recruit is going to go to a team that's in a conference that only gets 2 bids into the NCAAs. If we were in the Big East - our recruiting would step up
Kids don't commit to a conference. They commit to a program, to a coach, to getting to the next level. We still have all of that. We need a RECRUITER. Ollie can be a closer but with all that he has on his plate he can't do the heavy lifting. He's also inexperienced in that aspect. He got us Hamilton but we need someone with AAU ties.

There's 3 head coaches on this staff, 2 UConn feel good stories. That's not how most other's staffs are assembled.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
All we need is a backup point behind Jalen to be very interesting next year.

Reaction Score
I disagree - 5 years from now no top recruits are coming to this conference unless there dad is hired as an assistant coach

Reaction Score
When we were in the former Big East playing against strong conference teams was our recruiting better? I think so. The conference affiliation is an anchor. But the upside is that we can say we are pretty much one of the teams that has a great chance to win our league every year.

Funny though that the women's team is still getting some of th top recruits and the AAC for women's hoops is a barren wasteland

Reaction Score
Kids don't commit to a conference. They commit to a program, to a coach, to getting to the next level.

Tell yourself what you need to. If you think coaches aren't saying "Why would you want to go play in that graveyard when you can play against [insert P5 team name] every night," you're high. And if you're high, I can't blame you.

Reaction Score
Funny though that the women's team is still getting some of th top recruits and the AAC for women's hoops is a barren wasteland

I don't follow the women but is beating Tulane by 80 really less sexy than beating Syracuse by 60? There are like 5 good teams in women's basketball and they can play them every year anyway.

Reaction Score
This is the real question.

The fact is the offense was bad because, at any point, there was 2 or 3 players on the floor the other team just simply didn't have to guard.

Lubin, Facey, Nolan, Calhoun, Samuel, Cassell, as much as they try are simply just not offensive threats.

The caliber of player, skill wise, just needs to get better if we want to keep offensive output consistent.

I think Ollie has every advantage in recruiting there is. He is charismatic, he's got a ring, he's proven in the NBA, he's put players in the NBA already. I would run through a wall for this guy. Fact is, he was in the NBA while the AAU culture rose up thought. We need to get a guy in here with serious AAU connections. I think that means someone on the staff might need to make way.
We are always in a recruits top 3 r 5. Sometimes its all on position and who can offer more playing time. UCONN is a young team and the only position really open was point. Example....If a big man thinks Brimah is a challenge, they might not want to chance it (Diamond Stone) Maryland and Wisconsin has a better position available for a big man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom