How deep into the season do you think UConn will remain undefeated? | The Boneyard

How deep into the season do you think UConn will remain undefeated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seeing that the board has been a tad quiet the past few days, I thought I'd throw this question out there. What makes this one interesting, IMO, is the combination of how talented this team looks on paper and how incredibly soft their schedule is.

Just to get an idea on how weak the schedule is, UConn will not face a preseason top 25 ranked team until January 18th, against Cinci, which by the way is at home. The first away game against a preseason top 25 team isn't until February 6th at Louisville.

Taking a stab at this myself, this team has a good shot at rolling into South Bend with an undefeated 14-0 record on the line and possibly as the nation's #1 ranked team. Consider this, before UConn ever faces a ranked team, the 3 teams ranked ahead of them will each have faced at least 2 preseason top 25 ranked teams. UNC & UK face each other on December 3rd, so one of them will drop below UConn assuming they are still undefeated at that time. Before UConn faces ranked Cinci:

UNC will have played MSU, Wis and UK
UK has KU, UNC and UL
OSU will have battled UF, Dook & KU

Before conference play begins, the Huskies might have to face in the Bahamas, FSU, a middle of the pack ACC school. Right after they return, they will host the middle of the pack SEC team, Arkansas at home. On paper, both winnable games.

Let's imagine for a moment they make it through the OOC Pre-BE schedule undefeated. In no way am I taking lightly the conference games leading up the the ND game, but you have to give the Big East some credit for some creative scheduling. Conspiracy theorist can't help but notice how UConn starts out during JC's 3 mini-BE-vacation against bottom feeders USF (away), young and depleted SJU (home) and SHU (away). Add at-RU to those 3, the Huskies start conference play with 3 of the first 4 games on the road. That would seem like a tough start, though no one is going to confuse any of these 4 teams with the likes of SU, Pitt, UL, Nova, etc.

Now BE game #5, home against WVU, is by far no gimme. But that fact that it's at home, and hopefully amidst an impressive season long winning streak, I like our chances. It's that ND game that follows that just seems to stands out. The Irish at home have always been a minefield for UConn. It's one of those, throw the records out the window , right down to the buzzer battles.

Let's just imagine if they happen to come out of South Bend with the undefeated record intact. Up next is preseason ranked Cinci at home. Let's hope, for RPI sake, they're still ranked. Again, I always like our chances at home, especially when we have a dominating team like we have had in the past. Again, I realize this team hasn't even played one minute of real ball, so this is all based on paper and more-than-cautious optimism. If they're still undefeated and get by Cinci, there's a good chance they'll roll through the next 4 games, with a record of 22-0, having to face their biggest test of the season, on the road against UL, a team that has given them a lot of trouble. If their building wasn't crazy enough under normal circumstances, it will be off the charts if UConn rolls in their unblemished. If you haven't circled that one in red...

Now about those 4 prior games...it starts at Tenn, a team that has a reputation of being a Goliath killer. It's on national TV and will rival South Bend as far as being a hostile environment. If they get by that game, they face ND at home, which will have a better idea on how to beat UConn after facing them just 2 weeks prior. Following that game, they're back on the road again, against Georgetown. Similar to ND, UConn has had their share of trouble against the Hoyas in their house. But if they get by those 3, the Pirates of SH should be no more than a speed bump leading into what will be a huge battle at Louisville.

Now do I expect them to be 22-0 leading into that game? No. Though if there ever was an OOC and early BE conference schedule conducive for such, this year is it! I like our chances to be unblemished leading up the the ND game, though would not be shocked if they lose a head-scratcher or two along the way as they adjust to life without their bail-you-out winning-time scorer, Kemba Walker, and experience growing pains as the young and inexperience players develop their game and are worked into the mix.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
clown_nuke_by_va_guy.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if they headed into the BE undefeated. Nor would I be surprised if they headed into the BE with 2 or 3 losses.

I wouldn't be surprised if UConn went through BE play with 3 or 4 losses. Nor would I be surprised if they had another 9-9 season. I would be very surprised if they ran the tables in the BE.

There is no way of knowing how this team will respond with the loss of Kemba.

I'm still excited about this season. Just unsure.

Reaction Score
Among non-conference foes, don't sleep on Harvard, who we may play twice depending on how the Bahamas brackets go. They were a Princeton buzzer-beater away from being a 12-13 seed in last year's tournament, and they return each and every starter from that team plus a decent recruiting class. (BTW, Princeton almost beat Kentucky in the first round last year). They will be a tough team, although UConn will be favored.

There's always one of those games against a mild underdog where UConn plays poorly and the other team plays great -- Harvard, FSU, Arkansas and Tennessee could all possibly beat the Huskies if things fall their way.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if they headed into the BE undefeated. Nor would I be surprised if they headed into the BE with 2 or 3 losses.

I wouldn't be surprised if UConn went through BE play with 3 or 4 losses. Nor would I be surprised if they had another 9-9 season. I would be very surprised if they ran the tables in the BE.

There is no way of knowing how this team will respond with the loss of Kemba.

I'm still excited about this season. Just unsure.
Well if you actually did know, I'd be calling you and making bets. ;)

It's just meant to be a fun whatayathink or maybe whatayaguess kinda thing.

So when do you think loss #1 comes then?

I understand your point, because no one expected last years team to remain undefeated as long as they did. Then we didn't expect the same team that did, to lose so many games at the end of the season. Oh, and add to that, no one expected then to win the last 11 games and come home as NCs either.

It's just a lot less nutty asking this question coming off of last season, returning a lot of players and adding a few big time youngsters.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we are not going to lose a game this year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I honestly wouldnt be surprised at all if they had a WTF loss vs one of the 3 teams that Calhoun will be serving his suspension for. I could see the team just completely collapsing and having a bad shooting game somewhere on the road.

This thread is dumb, we're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMED

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know you were speculating Dog. I prefer giving a range as opposed to joining either bandwagon of optimism or caution.

UConn can go to the Battle of Atlantis and have the opposite experience as last seasons team did in Maui. I would hate it if UConn is this years equivalent of last season's MS.

I would say if UConn does suffer losses the first loss could come from FSU and the other losses can come at the expense of Harvard and Arkansas.

On the other hand UConn can roll through the non conference schedule and suffer a big let down in the BE like the team did four years ago.

Bottom line is we've all experienced the wide range of how seasons played out and there have been more surprises in outcomes than predictability.

The thing I'm more certain about (still not 100%) is the team will struggle early on even if they win. And people will be divided by the reasons for this struggle. One group will state this struggle is due to a superior set of players playing down to the level of inferior opponents. Another will say it is the loss of Kemba. Another will say JC is more interested in implementing plays with his players and teaching as opposed to running up scores. Another group will blame the point guard play or some player as creating bad chemistry. And another group will blame JC, the media or this forum for hyping players. Heck you might be on the top of the list.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Just curious. While a wonderful explosion, and very dooooomed, is there some significance to the massive clown face contained therein?

Reaction Score
I honestly wouldnt be surprised at all if they had a WTF loss vs one of the 3 teams that Calhoun will be serving his suspension for. I could see the team just completely collapsing and having a bad shooting game somewhere on the road.

This thread is dumb, we're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMED

I'm going with this

or a possible WTF game in the Battle for Atlantis final tourney if we do face Florida State :oops: can't overlook them...

Reaction Score
UConn's biggest weakness this season will be their schedule. This is the first year in a while where I'm looking at the scheudle and their aren't really any OOC games I'm circling on my calander. Was really hoping to play Florida, UK, or Vandy in the SEC/BE challange, but Arkansas could be a decent team this year with Mike Anderson on the sidelines. I'm fairly confident the Big East schedule will be enough of a test to prepare this team for the NCAA tournament (if we make it) but the Big East style is much different from the OOC style, which is my big concern.

To your point, I see UConn's perfect record coming to an end sometime in mid-January. There is no doubt that with the talent UConn has, we should be able to roll right through those first 15 games or so. Florida State (assuming we make it to the Bahamas championship) and Arkansas might be a test, but both of those games are either neutral or home. For what it's worth, I see UConn being the last remaining undefeated team simply due to the strong schedules OSU, UNC, and UK will be facing.

Only 18 days till the opener!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can see a loss happening to FSU in Atlantis. Their identity is defense and they have length and athleticism on the perimeter. I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me either.

The schedule is very weak, much weaker than last season. I mean, really significantly weaker than last season. Powder puff.

If the FSU loss doesn't happen, I don't see a loss until Feb. 6th @Louisville.

Reaction Score
Its conceivable that when we enter BE play that we are undefeated and possibly number one. That's when the good times end. Teams will love to beat the number one team, and conference foes will be licking their chops. I would venture to say that our 1st loss will be a BE loss. Drummond won't know what hit him (DD and RB also for that matter). Adjustments and team chemistry will begin at this point. The BE is the best conference in the land so its not reasonable to think that we will run the table, especially with so much youth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Conspiracy theorist can't help but notice how UConn starts out during JC's 3 mini-BE-vacation against bottom feeders USF (away), .

I think the USF game is the one to worry about for a couple of reasons. Good UConn teams have played lousy in their first conference road game coming off a baby soft pre-conference sked. USF almost beat them last year. And I saw that Rudy Gay team collapse and almost give one away in Tampa against a far worse USF team.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Just curious. While a wonderful explosion, and very dooooomed, is there some significance to the massive clown face contained therein?

No clue ... just figured it was doubly appropriate given the doomed foolishness of the thread (tongue-in-cheek of course Dog)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doomed.

This is like asking how many innings the pitcher will keep a perfect game going while he is warming up in the bullpen twenty minutes befor the game starts.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think the USF game is the one to worry about for a couple of reasons. Good UConn teams have played lousy in their first conference road game coming off a baby soft pre-conference sked. USF almost beat them last year. And I saw that Rudy Gay team collapse and almost give one away in Tampa against a far worse USF team.

Before reading through the thread, I picked USF as a real sleeper to beat us. Don't forget Jim won't be on the sideline.

So, just to be different, I'll go with USF.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I really don't care how long we go undefeated to start the season - I care that we go undefeated to end the season. Nothing else matters!

Reaction Score
Among non-conference foes, don't sleep on Harvard, who we may play twice depending on how the Bahamas brackets go. They were a Princeton buzzer-beater away from being a 12-13 seed in last year's tournament, and they return each and every starter from that team plus a decent recruiting class. (BTW, Princeton almost beat Kentucky in the first round last year). They will be a tough team, although UConn will be favored.

There's always one of those games against a mild underdog where UConn plays poorly and the other team plays great -- Harvard, FSU, Arkansas and Tennessee could all possibly beat the Huskies if things fall their way.
You make a good point. I too noticed that we could end up having to face Harvard twice which could turn out to be anywhere from bad to disastrous. Imagine if we lose to them twice or even split with them. It's not like our OOC schedule has a lot opportunity to make up for that. And if we beat them twice, what does that do for us?

Please tell me that whoever was given the task of constructing the field for the Battle 4 Atlantis is now flipping burgers somewhere. My gosh is that one of the weakest fields I've ever seen. Now that's not to say one of those teams is not capable of upsetting UConn. It's that you just hope there's some RPI boost there, but I don't see it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We're talking about the number 4 team in the country with a serious shot at the final four. There's no reason to lose to Harvard no matter if you play them once or twice. We're talking about teams in different realms. If we play them twice and don't win twice, this team has seriously underachieved. Let's talk about Cincy, or Ville or Cuse, not Harvard.

Reaction Score
Before reading through the thread, I picked USF as a real sleeper to beat us. Don't forget Jim won't be on the sideline.

So, just to be different, I'll go with USF.
We've had our share of BE opener stinkers, that's for sure. I just feel this team possesses so many match-up problems and I don't see Bulls having enough to over come that. But I guess I can see this team getting rattled if they come out flat and/or sloppy. The team has a lot of returning experience that you would expect better, but you never know.

Reaction Score
Harvard is the same team UConn was up like 40-15 on last year. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We're talking about the number 4 team in the country with a serious shot at the final four. There's no reason to lose to Harvard no matter if you play them once or twice. We're talking about teams in different realms. If we play them twice and don't win twice, this team has seriously underachieved. Let's talk about Cincy, or Ville or Cuse, not Harvard.

...and Jeremy Lin ain't walkin' through that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom