How dare Mechelle describe BY fans this way | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How dare Mechelle describe BY fans this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I dunno. We've visited my husband's family in North Carolina at least once, and usually twice a year for the last 20 years. They have their share of rude people in similar proportion to the folks here in Connecticut.
I'm sure they have some. In general though.

I've lived in GA, FL, VA along with CT and MA (and IL and ID). In general the Northeast is the unfriendliest (at least compared to the south or midwest). Just the way it is. But yea, everywhere has their jerks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree.... though my long time preference has been for women from the Northeast as opposed to the ones from the South. Actually dated two from Hartford..... One was nice and friendly.... the other was nice and friendly on certain days. :oops:
Love them southern girls with them southern drawls. The way they talked , knocked me out when I was down there. And those midwest farmer's daughters, they really made me feel alright. :cool:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Interesting - the Tennessee message board is much nastier than most Tennessee fans are in person.

As to UConn fans (from an RU fan's POV) - most are quite civil in person and on the board - no reason for a UConn fan to root for RU or Tennessee. However, the ones that aren't - just a very few on the board, and a few in person - were as nasty as I have ever seen. My favorite - unknown - UConn fan was the one who came up to my wife and apologized for the behavior of a middle aged UConn fan that was taunting and making obscene gestures at the RU seating area of the Greensboro regional after you beat us fair and square.

And my least favorite were the group in Cleveland - at the F4, that taunted a group of RU fans on the street and wouldn't let them walk past on the sidewalk. The RU fans? - the president of the fan club (a minister, FWIW) and an 80+ year old, nicest gentleman you could meet, that could barely walk as he was dying of cancer in his back among the group. Forced into the street (we were on the opposite side).

My point - not aimed at UConn - is that every fan base has jerks. I heard one story about a Rutgers fan that pissed me off to the max. In Tennessee's case, perhaps they are mostly on their board.

Ah, I take any chance to suck up to the board moderators I can get. I don't think the spectrum of human nature from place to place differs as significantly as we want to believe. The Tennessee moderators encourage crap, our moderators run a tight ship. I'm a fairly positive person and when the Boneyard gets too negative, or I start feeling too negative, I stay away. Fortunately for this UConn fan, this board is one of the more civil places on the Internet. People like me are not going to continue posting to the Tennessee board, even if they are a fan of the team. On the other hand, rude posts and posters over here will be similarly discouraged, once again even if they are fans of the team.

How'd I do HN, JS and Biff? Do I get a cookie?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
our moderators run a tight ship.

I agree, and it's been some time since I've seen a shout out to the #1 moderators in the country. They have to read every post, and not just for fun, but to scrutinize whether a borderline comment is on the line or over the line. Like refs, they have to make tough calls, and often get more catcalls than praise. They've had to wade though a lot of posts int he last few days, and while it has certainly been more enjoyable than if we were second guessing a failure, there's a lot more posts than if we had failed, so they've been busy while we are having fun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The key date in Tennessee WBB history was 4/2/2000. That's when it was clear to everyone that UConn had knocked UT off their perch atop WBB. The paradigm shifted that day. No longer would the PHS style of getting the best athletes and motivating them within an inch of their life with cries of "rebounding and defense" be enough. Skill and team play moved to the fore. Something PHS never quite got a handle on. To paraphrase Herb Brooks, "Their time -- is done. It's over." Instead of stepping up her game, PHS got bitter. As soon Candace Parker gave her a bit of hand, she used it to cancel the series with UConn and slime Geno. She cut of her nose to spite her face. No Final Four in five straight years. And she never came clean, in that recent autobiography she perpetuated the smear. UT had a good run, they should be good sports. Instead, they have taken on the character of their fallen leader, who was never a good sport.

Reaction Score
You have to admit, Geno winning number 9 surpassing Tennessee in Tennessee would be HUGE.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
LV fans' hatred for Vandy is second only to their hatred for UConn, and that is only because Vandy seldom beats them. They hate Vandy, I think, because it is so superior to UT academically, but sports results trump academics on Rocky Top by a large margin. Them folks just naturally cain't ABIDE havin their Ladies gettin their butts kicked! Gets them all riled, to the point where they can't think good.

Dang it, Zorro, I was jes fixin to say sumpin like that but durned if you dint beat me to it.Your quicker 'n snoose through a goose.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The key date in Tennessee WBB history was 4/2/2000. That's when it was clear to everyone that UConn had knocked UT off their perch atop WBB. The paradigm shifted that day. No longer would the PHS style of getting the best athletes and motivating them within an inch of their life with cries of "rebounding and defense" be enough. Skill and team play moved to the fore. Something PHS never quite got a handle on. To paraphrase Herb Brooks, "Their time -- is done. It's over." Instead of stepping up her game, PHS got bitter. As soon Candace Parker gave her a bit of hand, she used it to cancel the series with UConn and slime Geno. She cut of her nose to spite her face. No Final Four in five straight years. And she never came clean, in that recent autobiography she perpetuated the smear. UT had a good run, they should be good sports. Instead, they have taken on the character of their fallen leader, who was never a good sport.
I wouldn't write UTenn off quite that early. During the next 8 years after 2000 they would play in 4 NCs while UConn would be in 3. Though the Vols would come up one win short more often than the Huskies because they had UConn in the way, that is still a level of greatness that you will find in few D1 sports outside of women's soccer. The Vols have not lost to any team other than UConn in the NC game since 1984, two years before Geno came to UConn. And at the end of that period up to 2008, that 3 NC gap they had over UConn was pretty irksome. After 2004, when the lead was 6-5 I was thinking it would be earlier than 2013 before the Huskies drew even. It has been a struggle all the way, as Geno keeps emphasizing in his post-NC interviews. Nothing comes easy, even when you recruit great players.

But for 2009 and after, it has indeed been a different era, with UTenn definitely settling back as it simply has not made the adjustments well enough for current times.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can relate to that emotion....I read all of your posts.....
I am so sorry. I apologize for all past and future posts of mine.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I am so sorry. I apologize for all past and future posts of mine.
So Meyers are you now trying to buy an exemption for a future murder of the rep of some coach for a boneheaded blither? I know that was allowed back in the Dark Ages before anyone knew how to take a jump shot, but paying in advance for your sins does not seem right to me -- unless of course it's for some semi-ethical maneuver to land a 6'9" center in 2016 who can dunk from her tippy toes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So Meyers are you now trying to buy an exemption for a future murder of the rep of some coach for a boneheaded blither? I know that was allowed back in the Dark Ages before anyone knew how to take a jump shot, but paying in advance for your sins does not seem right to me -- unless of course it for some semi-ethical maneuver to land a 6'9" center in 2016 who can dunk from her tippy toes.
No payment or penance involved. Just an apology. Not looking for absolution. Just feel sorry for the mods having to read through all this crap. At least they get the pleasure of banning people now and again. :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay I know I'm risking getting expunged for dragging something, but in reference to some other place than here, how about an "oops, I didn't mean that" howler:

---When discussing the statements that Geno made about a certain clipboard-toting coach of an Orange team down south who he stated was the "best coach in women's college basketball history," a fan of her hers said that he doubted the "veracity" of what Geno said about her. Just love it. In all "sincerity," I truly love the education they do down there to l'arn those kids some lessons.

---And another fan brilliantly pinpointed the reason for UConn and Geno's success: recruiting "the meanest girls he can find that don't mind punching your lights out for no reason." I well remember the time I went to shake Maria Conlon's hand and she just decked me, and Ashley Battle than dribbled my head on the floor for a few minutes.

As vtcwbuff noted, there is incredible amounts of humor to find in life even when you're wading through the cesspool orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom