How come the Boneyard doesn't get a press pass? | The Boneyard

How come the Boneyard doesn't get a press pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's obvious we are being monitored by the UConn athletics department. (Not just because of coach DP's comments.)

Why can't Fishy or Tom get us recognized as a legitimate sports media outlet?

It's obvious we know more that John, Jim, Jeff, Des and Ed. Why can't we get into the locker room and ask the tough questions?

I'd be glad to volunteer my services. I'm the apologista poster child (though, during the PP era I was unable to stay in character). Heck, I'm the one who asked my boy Randy if we could have open practices. Done deal.....

I think we are a legitimate source of information for UConn sports fans and we deserve to be a part of the horde.

If you noticed the HuskyNan's news links for today, there are only articles from the Courant and the Register. With all coaches being available for interviews yesterday what does that tell you? We are still small time in the media department.

I know how to use spell check and can ask the fluffy questions coaches love to answer.

Let's go Fishy or Tom. Get me a pass. :cool:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
We can vote each week of the season on the "best poster of the week"...winner gets to use the press pass! That would make for some interesting press conferences! Although with some of the people here, would UConn supply the tranlator, or would we be responsible for that?

Reaction Score
Husky Boneyard.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think this is both the best and worst idea of all time.

I'm all for it. What can possibly go wrong?

Don't know if wrong is the right word, necessarily. How about: What can possibly go worse?

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's obvious we are being monitored by the UConn athletics department. (Not just because of coach DP's comments.)

Why can't Fishy or Tom get us recognized as a legitimate sports media outlet?

It's obvious we know more that John, Jim, Jeff, Des and Ed. Why can't we get into the locker room and ask the tough questions?

I'd be glad to volunteer my services. I'm the apologista poster child (though, during the PP era I was unable to stay in character). Heck, I'm the one who asked my boy Randy if we could have open practices. Done deal.....

I think we are a legitimate source of information for UConn sports fans and we deserve to be a part of the horde.

If you noticed the HuskyNan's news links for today, there are only articles from the Courant and the Register. With all coaches being available for interviews yesterday what does that tell you? We are still small time in the media department.

I know how to use spell check and can ask the fluffy questions coaches love to answer.

Let's go Fishy or Tom. Get me a pass. :cool:
The short answer is that mainstream media still looks down on message board contributors and bloggers. Members of the mainstream say publicly that the Internet is infringing on a public trust when in fact they really are bitter that the masses have an opinion that the media did not give them first.

Reaction Score
The short answer is that mainstream media still looks down on message board contributors and bloggers. Members of the mainstream say publicly that the Internet is infringing on a public trust when in fact they really are bitter that the masses have an opinion that the media did not give them first.

If the can give one to Mike Farrell, they can give one to us.

images

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This would be amazing if I was chosen during any of those weeks. I would have a slate of about ten to twelve questions, asking about the coaches' plans for how we achieve 13-0...even if we were already 3-1... :eek:

Reaction Score
I formally volunteer my services as one of my posts was reprinted years ago. One of the mods asked my permission & it appeared in a UConn fan periodical (now out of publication). So, I must be a de facto member of the media.;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Though this has to do with a completely different sport, it is sort of related to what I was saying above. How dare fans have perfectly reasonable opinions!?!?!?

http://deadspin.com/dan-le-batard-l...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+deadspin/full+(Deadspin)
Le Batard has been banned for life for allowing fans to have a perfectly reasonable opinion on who should be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. More sanctimonious BS from the "Keepers" of the Game.

**Disclaimer: Posted in the Pro Sports Forum as well.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Doesn't the site ADimeBack get a press pass? They are a blog and follow UConn basketball. I see them tweet all the time and they've mentioned sitting in press row a few times. So why can't the BY gets pass too?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Rio Dog, foreign correspondent at large, on the beat!

(Wow, so far, being a journalist is easy AND fun!)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Rio Dog, foreign correspondent at large, on the beat!

(Wow, so far, being a journalist is easy AND fun!)
We need someone to measure the pulse of the uconn fans in Rio.........

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
We need someone to measure the pulse of the uconn fans in Rio....

Just checked... about 75 beats per minute.

But seriously, I did spot UConn gear once on a vendor selling tourist knick-knacks in Praça General Osorio in Ipanema. I didn't have time to stop and talk to the guy.

I actually met a hoops fan who followed the team from Israel when Henefeld and Sheffer played for Calhoun. He was managing an Israeli Restaurant in a Jewish neighborhood in Copa Cabana. Delicious Shawarma. The international UConn community is alive and well!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If someone legitimately covered UConn for the Boneyard I imagine they could obtain credentials.

As someone who graduated from college looking to get into sports media and spent a couple of years getting access to locker rooms... Be careful what you wish for. There is a reason why the majority of sportswriters are so jaded.

Trust me, the fan experience is 1000x better than what Silver and Dez go through on a Saturday game day.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We've tried many times through the years to get a press pass. I was actually accredited by the Big East one season and attended the BE women's media day in New York, got news releases, etc but they wouldn't renew the credentials the following year. I was told that Internet outlets, in general, won't be given press passes unless they're run by an established media outlet. I can see their point - any idiot can set up a web site. Universities need to know they're dealing with legitimate media types and not some crazy person.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Doesn't the site ADimeBack get a press pass?
I was told that Internet outlets, in general, won't be given press passes unless they're run by an established media outlet.

Oh, the irony...or am I the only one who sees it?

Reaction Score
If someone legitimately covered UConn for the Boneyard I imagine they could obtain credentials.

As someone who graduated from college looking to get into sports media and spent a couple of years getting access to locker rooms... Be careful what you wish for. There is a reason why the majority of sportswriters are so jaded.

Trust me, the fan experience is 1000x better than what Silver and Dez go through on a Saturday game day.
I don't know about legitimate but what about a highly educated peanut gallery

Reaction Score
We've tried many times through the years to get a press pass. I was actually accredited by the Big East one season and attended the BE women's media day in New York, got news releases, etc but they wouldn't renew the credentials the following year. I was told that Internet outlets, in general, won't be given press passes unless they're run by an established media outlet. I can see their point - any idiot can set up a web site. Universities need to know they're dealing with legitimate media types and not some crazy person.
Geez, this is a shining example of the different cultures in motion at UConn versus Bevo U. That guy who runs Orange Bloods on Scout is treated as media royalty for his breaking of stories. He's interviewed regularly on Sirius-XM's Channel 91 (College Sports Nation) for his "expertise & insider knowledge ". He's basically a talking head for the Texas athletic department.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Put me down for a crack at that press pass. My qualifications are that both Phil Chardis and Ken Davis used points I made on the Arnold Dean show as a basis for a column (Davis gave credit, Chardis no. One might have thought it would have been the other way around.) Of course, that was about 20 years ago. But still...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Geez, this is a shining example of the different cultures in motion at UConn versus Bevo U. That guy who runs Orange Bloods on Scout is treated as media royalty for his breaking of stories. He's interviewed regularly on Sirius-XM's Channel 91 (College Sports Nation) for his "expertise & insider knowledge ". He's basically a talking head for the Texas athletic department.
Scout is probably recognized as being legitimate. He could also get a credential through the publication he free lances for. I believe it came out that that is how Ken Krayeske obtained his credential in order to bait Coach Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom