How come Dorka only played 3 minutes? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How come Dorka only played 3 minutes?

Reaction Score
I was there yesterday and the place was rocking when they went on that run to start the 3rd quarter. I didn't see the defensive lapses by Dorka but her two outside shots were nervous shots and her lay up was just unfortunate. We will definitely need her size Monday night and if she can make outside shots it will change the game because the middle will open up.

I also wanted to see Caroline more. She is a 100% basketball player. In 8 minutes she had 4 points, a rebound and 2 assists. She can be a major weapon going forward. She has appeared tentative at times though and I don't know if it's the injury, being a freshman in the Big Dance ,not starting, or a combination thereof.

At halftime I turned to my wife and remarked that CW only had 5 points and was going to get going in the second half. She just goes to the basket like no one else and is unstoppable with a head of steam.

I think I just have to get used to the fact that with Aaliyah you are going to get basketball pluses and minuses every game. If she ever gets to that zone of basketball completeness it will be something very special. She just seems to need a better awareness of exactly where she is and others are on the court. In that last play before halftime she lost sight of her man and stayed underneath instead of being on her and she made the 3.

I thought Evina contributed solidly on defense and the two breakaways on steals made the place roar. She had a turnover but it didn't lead to a basket and made some great set up passes that were hockey assists.

Liv was just great all around. She really wants it and I hope she stays out of foul trouble on Monday. Nika was Nika, a crowd favorite with a bomb of a 3, and Paige and Azzi were really good even on a somewhat off night. I hope we get to see the 2 of them both really "on" together on Monday and hopefully beyond. That layup by Paige off the cut hand off was picture perfect form.

That devastating run was defense and going to the basket and being opportunistic. The Hoosiers were shellshocked and their timeout when the lead was 13 was closing the barn doors after the horses had run out. Their season was over because they were not coming back.

I wanted us to play ND because of Paige but NC State is a very good team with a very good offensive inside player. We won't have to be perfect, just 1 point better.
Caroline turns the ball over wayyyyyy too much. Our turnovers have gone down lately because she's not on the floor as much. I also wanted her to play more until her limited minutes the last two games, when turned the ball over. And that one missed shot she had in the second half, was such a bad shot that it should've counted as a turnover. I like her a bunch and she will be a great player, but who do you sit if she plays, Azzi or Christyn?

Reaction Score
I suspect she is still adjusting to the level of play sometimes, at least it looks that way to me. She tries passes that worked against private high school competition, but at this level the windows are smaller and the defense better. She'll keep adjusting, I'm sure. Smart and competitive kid.

Reaction Score
Caroline turns the ball over wayyyyyy too much. Our turnovers have gone down lately because she's not on the floor as much. I also wanted her to play more until her limited minutes the last two games, when turned the ball over. And that one missed shot she had in the second half, was such a bad shot that it should've counted as a turnover. I like her a bunch and she will be a great player, but who do you sit if she plays, Azzi or Christyn?
I think that is relatively unfair. I don't think that turnovers are the deciding factor at all. AE leads the team in turnovers, with Liv second and Evina third. AE also commits many unnecessary offensive fouls both on moving screens and simply not being aware of where her opponent is. She also has defensive lapses as evidenced by the last play in the first half. Yet she brings intensity and energy and rebounds and defends and does some important counterbalancing things. I think it is more the eye test. A coach can tell if a player is "ready" or " in the moment" but CD was not against Indiana nor was Dorka and I do think the first NCAA tourney is a factor for both of them. The turnover and bad shot was more a symptom of not being there. Caroline can spell CW at times for a rest and can be an important contributor. After Cunane, NC St is not big and CD can post up, cut, drive and shoot the pull up or 3. She can make the difference in the game if she is "on". Unfortunately, she has been a different player since her injury, more tentative, less engaging. I'm hoping tonight she has a good game for us. She is a very complete and smart basketball player.

Reaction Score
The debate goes on and on about Caroline's minutes, as well as Dorka's.

I'll note at the other end of the PT spectrum that Azzi is certainly not earning all the minutes she's playing. Yes, she plays solid D (as does Caroline), and her occasional successful three-pointer fires everyone up. Yet she's shooting 7 for 24 for the past two games, with just three rebounds and not a single assist in 73 minutes of PT.

Just because she's now a starter means she has to be on the court throughout? How do those numbers merit her playing virtually the entirety of both games? Don't you think perhaps she'd shoot/play better if given more frequent breaks?

Vs. Indiana, Caroline made an ill-advised pass intended for a teammate on the other side of the lane that was tipped and that her only TO in her 12 minutes of court time for those two games. And I agree, Ucbart, a pullup 10-footer would have been smarter shot than that ill-fated underhanded effort. But even for those, you continually go to a weary, off-target Azzi to produce sub-30 percent shooting, few rebounds and zero assists in two full games?

There are those who argue starters have earned the plus-30 minutes they get each game, regardless of their performances. I'm amazed so few of us remember that, pre-head injury Caroline was a player virtually everyone here agreed would be a starter throughout season's end. Now she doesn't deserve more than 12 minutes in two games to spell Azzi, or perhaps Christyn?

I love Azzi and what her potential might bring to the Huskies. So far in two tough NCAA games, I'd suggest she and Caroline should be compared for their actual results, not what Azzi's potential might be. If the Huskies are fortunate enough to play three more games, I'll bet there will be plenty of times when Caroline's knack for finding the hoop, as well as open teammates with good passes, would come in mighty handy.

Please remember, Azzi also hasn't experienced this before. Some here love to talk about the moment being too big for Caroline, or Dorka. Is it possible that's the case for Azzi? I hope not, because the Huskies won't win it without her contributions, but isn't that possible?

Good luck to the Huskies tonight, no matter who's on the floor for Geno. Go, Huskies!

Reaction Score
This is the regional final, there is very little time for improving and adjustment. Azzi did look gassed at the end of the Indiana game. It would be great if Caroline can have an impact. Dorka has not been playing well, what with all the missing free throws and bunnies. Dorka needs to seize the moment and hopefully can earn some playing time. To win we need all of them to be at their best.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Browns. I wouldn't argue Caroline is a better three-point shooter overall than Azzi. My point, which I believe you caught, was that all the minutes on the court might be part of the cause for her to miss even the shorter shots, hence 7 of 24.

Reaction Score
The inside the arc shot is a pure jump shot with hang time and release at the top of the jump. The 3 point shot is a set/push shot. The jumper takes a lot more legs.

Reaction Score
That's how it should be. There's a reason why players are starters and those that are deeper on the bench. You trust the starters the more. That's the reason why they start and play the most minutes. It's why you don't apply the same logic to Azzi.
Thats fair but not always the case across the board. There are bench players that get as many mins as starters. I dont care if we win because thats always goal number one, I guess one fear is if we lose and didnt tap the folks available to help and could have made the difference.

Reaction Score
Got home from my daughter's HS softball game and my daughter wanted to watch overtimes, not watch the DVR'd game, so we caught the last minute of 1st overtime and 2nd overtime. Feel bad for Dorka. Hope it isn't a serious injury to her wrist.

Reaction Score
Got home from my daughter's HS softball game and my daughter wanted to watch overtimes, not watch the DVR'd game, so we caught the last minute of 1st overtime and 2nd overtime. Feel bad for Dorka. Hope it isn't a serious injury to her wrist.
Just heard at the end of Geno's post-game presser that Dorka unfortunately fractured her wrist.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I think there is over analyzing, not you specifically but everyone. Apply the same logic to Azzi and she sits during most of that game. She has turnovers, number of missed shots, etc... AE, bless her, has offensive fouls which equals turnovers. I can go on with the starters. It seems if your not a starter you have an incredibly short leash, even if you dont play bad.
Some are here getting down on the young lady for her 3 mins of play
I would like those same people to show me exactly who played well for the first 3 mins of the game..
Our team had what was it again, 3 Turnovers in the first 3 mins by the starters which allowed IU to go up by as many as six early, Should those players all be benched as well? Only One perfect person walked this earth as far as I know...

Our Coach is a very good coach, but he is also Human and therefore can make mistakes like anyone else...
Some of us forget that Put Summit was also a very good coach and successful as well, then along came an upstart named Geno who got the best of her. It does not matter how many titles you have won before, if you sit on those achievements, then you too will be surpassed by some other Coach who has made adjustments or learn what it takes to beat your style of play...

In my opinion, this is not the time of the year to be giving your players doubt in their abilities, at this stage the teams that move on are the ones who are confident and willing to take the next shot, even when they have missed poorly or are having a bad game..
One of our strengths is suppose to be our depth, which may not yield results in the beginning of a game but can certainly wear a team down in the latter stages of a game and cause them to miss shots they would normally make because they are tired..

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
You go with the players who are in the zone at this point. Those that are contributing to the flow and success in the game should and do get the minutes. Players go through ups and downs. Dorka and Caroline will get their chance again. The ones that got the minutes did because they are on a mission, and let us be thankful that Paige is starting her lion roar at just the right time!

Reaction Score
Thats fair but not always the case across the board. There are bench players that get as many mins as starters. I dont care if we win because thats always goal number one, I guess one fear is if we lose and didnt tap the folks available to help and could have made the difference.
I was speaking in terms of a philosophy overall. As you say there are bench players that see as many minutes but not bench players getting as many minutes as your healthy superstars. When a team goes 6-7 deep sure that 6th player is getting near the 5th players minutes etc. The thing is- UCONN's strength is their "superstar guards."

For example Jada Boyd for NC State in regulation was -4 (minus 4) in plus-minus. Whose to say it was the coach that should’ve played his starters more? In other words, my fear is different than yours. I fear not playing “Paige Bueckers” as much as you can can negatively impact the team/ be the difference.

This is why I am 100% on board with Geno and have been for many years other than an issue here or there. This philosophy of playing your superstars as much as you can imo is superior than playing a deep bench. Superstars are the ones that win you the big games. The Bench contributes and I have never seen only 5 players win. But superstars overall “win it.” Though I will reiterate you can’t win titles without some bench contribution.

In this latest as an example, UCONN challenged NC State to stop their superstar without fear that their superstar would wear down. My money is always going to be on the superstar vs the bench player. Ofc sometimes the superstar will fall short. But not forcing the opposing team to stop your superstar is imo either over-coaching or coaching in fear. Neither is any good imo.

Reaction Score
Some are here getting down on the young lady for her 3 mins of play
I would like those same people to show me exactly who played well for the first 3 mins of the game..
Our team had what was it again, 3 Turnovers in the first 3 mins by the starters which allowed IU to go up by as many as six early, Should those players all be benched as well? Only One perfect person walked this earth as far as I know...

Our Coach is a very good coach, but he is also Human and therefore can make mistakes like anyone else...
Some of us forget that Put Summit was also a very good coach and successful as well, then along came an upstart named Geno who got the best of her. It does not matter how many titles you have won before, if you sit on those achievements, then you too will be surpassed by some other Coach who has made adjustments or learn what it takes to beat your style of play...

In my opinion, this is not the time of the year to be giving your players doubt in their abilities, at this stage the teams that move on are the ones who are confident and willing to take the next shot, even when they have missed poorly or are having a bad game..
One of our strengths is suppose to be our depth, which may not yield results in the beginning of a game but can certainly wear a team down in the latter stages of a game and cause them to miss shots they would normally make because they are tired..
Amen!

Reaction Score
I was speaking in terms of a philosophy overall. As you say there are bench players that see as many minutes but not bench players getting as many minutes as your healthy superstars. When a team goes 6-7 deep sure that 6th player is getting near the 5th players minutes etc. The thing is- UCONN's strength is their "superstar guards."

For example Jada Boyd for NC State in regulation was -4 (minus 4) in plus-minus. Whose to say it was the coach that should’ve played his starters more? In other words, my fear is different than yours. I fear not playing “Paige Bueckers” as much as you can can negatively impact the team/ be the difference.

This is why I am 100% on board with Geno and have been for many years other than an issue here or there. This philosophy of playing your superstars as much as you can imo is superior than playing a deep bench. Superstars are the ones that win you the big games. The Bench contributes and I have never seen only 5 players win. But superstars overall “win it.” Though I will reiterate you can’t win titles without some bench contribution.

In this latest as an example, UCONN challenged NC State to stop their superstar without fear that their superstar would wear down. My money is always going to be on the superstar vs the bench player. Ofc sometimes the superstar will fall short. But not forcing the opposing team to stop your superstar is imo either over-coaching or coaching in fear. Neither is any good imo.
Dont disagree about Paige. But outside her and most likely Fudd I bet CD will be a star more than rest of team.

She showed it already but trust in Geno.

Reaction Score
Barring a huge surprise such as a miraculous recovery by Aubrey, complete with a newly minted jump shot, I think it's safe to pencil in Caroline as the starting "3" next season. And she will be perfect for that role. My hunch is that Geno is thinking along the same lines.
Agree on Caroline starting but also can see her take on the critical Evina role as first off the bench, replacing either the shooting guard or small forward.

Reaction Score
I think that is relatively unfair. I don't think that turnovers are the deciding factor at all. AE leads the team in turnovers, with Liv second and Evina third. AE also commits many unnecessary offensive fouls both on moving screens and simply not being aware of where her opponent is. She also has defensive lapses as evidenced by the last play in the first half. Yet she brings intensity and energy and rebounds and defends and does some important counterbalancing things. I think it is more the eye test. A coach can tell if a player is "ready" or " in the moment" but CD was not against Indiana nor was Dorka and I do think the first NCAA tourney is a factor for both of them. The turnover and bad shot was more a symptom of not being there. Caroline can spell CW at times for a rest and can be an important contributor. After Cunane, NC St is not big and CD can post up, cut, drive and shoot the pull up or 3. She can make the difference in the game if she is "on". Unfortunately, she has been a different player since her injury, more tentative, less engaging. I'm hoping tonight she has a good game for us. She is a very complete and smart basketball player.
I believe the causes of Caroline's issues and playing time are more basic. Early in the year, as with many frosh, CD was the 5th option. With the injuries, she became one of the focal points, helping UConn to develop one of their more creative motion offenses. Since Paige came back, we appear to have evolved, now relying more on 3 pointers and mid-range shots. CD now rarely getting back cut layups, one of the keys to her points. Seems to be working so nothing negative to comment on - just a fact of where we are today.

Reaction Score
I believe the causes of Caroline's issues and playing time are more basic. Early in the year, as with many frosh, CD was the 5th option. With the injuries, she became one of the focal points, helping UConn to develop one of their more creative motion offenses. Since Paige came back, we appear to have evolved, now relying more on 3 pointers and mid-range shots. CD now rarely getting back cut layups, one of the keys to her points. Seems to be working so nothing negative to comment on - just a fact of where we are today.
Good analysis. I am hopeful that next year the offense will be a hybrid of both.

Reaction Score
Dont disagree about Paige. But outside her and most likely Fudd I bet CD will be a star more than rest of team.

She showed it already but trust in Geno.
In future years am excited for CD. This next game and hopefully the game after that this upcoming week she nails some consecutive shots.

Would love to see her nail some 3's in a row.

Reaction Score
IMO the Offense was "forced" in search of an all-around scorer when she stepped up. I think now that the offense is flowing more, CD isn't as efficient as PB or . Isn't the passer either. SO if she isn't hitting her shots, she isn't helping PB or that much. Instead she is taking away shots from them.

She did get layup chances vs UCF but she missed them both. Had the same type of 2 layup attempts vs Indiana. These are quality teams and in 8 minutes she was able to maneuver for 2 layups. That’s pretty good. But then she went against NC State had a wide open 3 and she didn't come close. Then I think she made a beauty drive and was expecting she'd get it up on the rim which she has such a great knack of doing with a touch but NC Sate seemed to sniff out exactly what she was trying to do and easily swatted her shot out of bounds. I think it was NC State. And I just attribute this to experience. The better defensive teams are going to sniff out what she likes to do. Because overall their team defense is why they are that good.

I just think if her shot isn't falling, you can't play her significant minutes in hopes that she "might" get hot. There are two players on the floor that are more efficient than her that need the ball. So it comes down to her vs CW and CW has a ton more experience and is a projected 1st round WNBA pick. And Evina and Nika can pass better setting up the guards. So when she comes in, she better hit her shots. UCONN can’t afford to wait like they were forced to do earlier in the year. Next year things will be much different for her provided she is more efficient shooting which we expect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom