How come Dorka only played 3 minutes? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How come Dorka only played 3 minutes?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I thought it was a reference to Caroline. Still only a freshman, Caroline needs some time to settle into a game and find her groove. She’s a great player, though, and will learn. She’s incredibly coachable - Geno says she’s the only one that listens to him.

Obviously we don't know who was in Geno's mind when he said that, but the case for it being Dorka is that she never got anywhere close to "effective" and put in only 3 minutes. Caroline actually played pretty well in her 8 minutes - 2 for 3, a rebound and 2 assists. I saw her minutes more limited by her match-ups on the other end with IU's experienced guard corps.

Caroline is definitely a good player... a sophomore leap waiting to happen.

Who Knows Idk GIF by MOODMAN

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
.... Caroline actually played pretty well in her 8 minutes - 2 for 3, a rebound and 2 assists. I saw her minutes more limited by her match-ups on the other end with IU's experienced guard corps.

Caroline is definitely a good player... a sophomore leap waiting to happen.

Who Knows Idk GIF by MOODMAN
Barring a huge surprise such as a miraculous recovery by Aubrey, complete with a newly minted jump shot, I think it's safe to pencil in Caroline as the starting "3" next season. And she will be perfect for that role. My hunch is that Geno is thinking along the same lines.

Reaction Score
I think Geno in a way likes the idea of a 9 player rotation even against top competition, but in the tough games he has a very short hook. If he inserts a player who has a bad first minute or two they may be done for the day. My question that I don't know the answer to, is how do you build confidence in a player?

Dorka, Aaliyah, and at times Caroline have seemed to be nervous and rushed on shots around the basket. I understand the teaching aspect, namely if you do something wrong you sit, and in the long run you will learn and be a better player as a result. But if the issue is more nerves, confidence, and the pressure of the moment what is the best solution?

You could give that player a little more rope, and hope they settle down and get into the game, not being paranoid that they are one mistake away from an early hook. Maybe if they don't settle down and make more mistakes, you yank them then, but give them a chance to right the ship themselves, at least for a little longer.

Isn't there a difference between what kind of problem it is. Not hustling? get them out, same thing for not following the game-plan, too many missed assignments on defense etc. But if it is nerves or a lack of confidence couldn't a quick hook be pouring gasoline on the fire? It seems to me very one of the 9 players in a full rotation have earned their place there over the course of the season.

Caroline for example was hardly used in the beginning of the season, then because of injuries Geno had to use her, playing her 40 minutes in at least one game, and for a stretch you could argue she was our best offensive player. Dorka was a starter for much of the year when Aaliyah was struggling and did a good job. Haven't they proven themselves enough to not warrant a quick hook if they make a mistake or look a little nervous in their first couple of minutes?

Many coaches learn how all their players are different, and you push different buttons to motivate different players, and I have no idea what that is for players like Dorka or Caroline, but it seems like Geno publicly touts the merits of a deep rotation, while looking for a quick reason to abandon it. He probably knows better, but i just don't get it.
In terms of building confidence in a player; if you have 6-7 or 8 other players that are confident, why risk the NCAA Tourney game for the player that isn’t?

In terms of the best solution; if a player is nervous in the NCAA Tournament when you can get easily eliminated, the 11 time National Championship coach and 13 straight Final Four coach has told you what the best solution is. If you are implying another solution then obviously he thinks that solution is wrong and he is going to go with the solution that has brought him many years of unparalleled success.

Instead of pouring gasoline on a fire, it could be preventing a fire from spreading that could have otherwise been easily avoided. For me, I happen to agree with Geno’s approach. As a result, when you speak of who has earned their right to play in an NCAA Tourney game, obviously we disagree. And I think Geno’s way is the best and imo overall numbers throughout have proven this to be true.

And when you use CD as an example; imo it shows what Geno is doing is correct. She did fine yesterday. And AE only proves the point when early he was tough on her and now she has been a beast. There is no sign of gasoline spillage here.

When you speak of what you don’t get; and please this is not a slam; I don’t understand how you don’t get all the winning under his philosophy and why you think your philosophy would be better when his has been the best ever in wcbb. In a respectful way, I don’t get it in terms of what you don’t get.

To further that, in other words, because of all the winning, its apparent that the spilled gasoline you refer to; very little has been spilled.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
We are down to what is theoretically the hottest 16 teams left. There is little room for error. She has missed something like her last 9 shots, and her last 6 layups, or something close. She received an excellent pass and was in position to go straight up and score. Instead she complicated the play and missed badly not even hitting the rim. Mind you, she was standing right next to the rim, on her right side, which is her strong hand.

When she came out, as she was approaching Geno, he said nothing but was shaking his head. I’d rather see her shot blocked while going up strong, sticking her butt out for space, versus what happened.
I think the hesitation might well be why she was pulled. If she had gone up right away she probably would have made it, but if it had rolled around and out she might not have been pulled.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I understand why she was pulled first half. I just would like to see a player who works hard, to be able to get another chance at redeeming them self while in the midst of pressure. See where their focal point and resolve is once they've had a chance to think about it. Dorka was lights out when she became the starter. I hope that's not part of her glitch. One thing for certain, the bench is the penalty box for Geno. Rule by fear.
I thought he would put Dorka back in late in the game to get her a few more minutes on the court. That said, I was surprised but pleased that Amari got a minute or so. If nothing else, he should reward her for being such a fun and high-energy cheerleader. :cool:

Reaction Score
In terms of building confidence in a player; if you have 6-7 or 8 other players that are confident, why risk the NCAA Tourney game for the player that isn’t?

In terms of the best solution; if a player is nervous in the NCAA Tournament when you can get easily eliminated, the 11 time National Championship coach and 13 straight Final Four coach has told you what the best solution is. If you are implying another solution then obviously he thinks that solution is wrong and he is going to go with the solution that has brought him many years of unparalleled success.

Instead of pouring gasoline on a fire, it could be preventing a fire from spreading that could have otherwise been easily avoided. For me, I happen to agree with Geno’s approach. As a result, when you speak of who has earned their right to play in an NCAA Tourney game, obviously we disagree. And I think Geno’s way is the best and imo overall numbers throughout have proven this to be true.

And when you use CD as an example; imo it shows what Geno is doing is correct. She did fine yesterday. And AE only proves the point when early he was tough on her and now she has been a beast. There is no sign of gasoline spillage here.

When you speak of what you don’t get; and please this is not a slam; I don’t understand how you don’t get all the winning under his philosophy and why you think your philosophy would be better when his has been the best ever in wcbb. In a respectful way, I don’t get it in terms of what you don’t get.

To further that, in other words, because of all the winning, its apparent that the spilled gasoline you refer to; very little has been spilled.
That could be. The gasoline on the fire part is directed at how do you fix nervousness, a lack of confidence, or rushing things. Is it by showing a lack of confidence in that player with a quick hook?, or by letting them work thru it a little bit? I'm not sure what is best, but what I fear is that this kind of quick hook reinforces whatever lack of confidence a player has, and might make them even more nervous the next time they are called on, because despite how they have performed all season, they know one screw up in the first few minutes and they are gone.

I hope the players respond well to whatever technique Geno applies, and he knows them and I don't, so that is a given too, but if it is basketball or something completely different, I don't understand how potentially destroying confidence with a quick hook helps build confidence if that is the issue affecting play that needs to be improved. We all know Geno's records they speak for themselves, I hope all nine get over their jitters and play with confidence. When the problem is most other things I think the stick probably works great, and has for Geno many times. When it is nerves, or a lack of confidence seems like the carrot might be more appropriate. But people are different and react in different ways so who knows.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was at the game, and IMO it was a combo of Dorka missing a point-blank layup and AE/ONO playing inspired. I think Geno has made up his mind that will go with 5-9 who best match up and bring their A game on that given day.
Agreed, I think a lot of it had to do with how well Edwards and ONO were playing.

Reaction Score
I think Geno in a way likes the idea of a 9 player rotation even against top competition, but in the tough games he has a very short hook. If he inserts a player who has a bad first minute or two they may be done for the day. My question that I don't know the answer to, is how do you build confidence in a player?

Dorka, Aaliyah, and at times Caroline have seemed to be nervous and rushed on shots around the basket. I understand the teaching aspect, namely if you do something wrong you sit, and in the long run you will learn and be a better player as a result. But if the issue is more nerves, confidence, and the pressure of the moment what is the best solution?

You could give that player a little more rope, and hope they settle down and get into the game, not being paranoid that they are one mistake away from an early hook. Maybe if they don't settle down and make more mistakes, you yank them then, but give them a chance to right the ship themselves, at least for a little longer.

Isn't there a difference between what kind of problem it is. Not hustling? get them out, same thing for not following the game-plan, too many missed assignments on defense etc. But if it is nerves or a lack of confidence couldn't a quick hook be pouring gasoline on the fire? It seems to me very one of the 9 players in a full rotation have earned their place there over the course of the season.

Caroline for example was hardly used in the beginning of the season, then because of injuries Geno had to use her, playing her 40 minutes in at least one game, and for a stretch you could argue she was our best offensive player. Dorka was a starter for much of the year when Aaliyah was struggling and did a good job. Haven't they proven themselves enough to not warrant a quick hook if they make a mistake or look a little nervous in their first couple of minutes?

Many coaches learn how all their players are different, and you push different buttons to motivate different players, and I have no idea what that is for players like Dorka or Caroline, but it seems like Geno publicly touts the merits of a deep rotation, while looking for a quick reason to abandon it. He probably knows better, but i just don't get it.
The part I find odd is Caroline did this while Paige was out and the rest of the team literally playing their worst basketball of the season.

Reaction Score
I'm looking at the UCONN vs Indiana box score and see Dorka only played 3 minutes.
Does anyone know why? Was she sick or hurt?
If this has been spoken of previously I haven't heard!
Thanks in advance!
My guess is because Liv and Edwards were " beasts." They were both playing extremely well. And Dorka did have a slow start when she entered. Remember, at Geno's press conference, he said "in this tournament there is not enough time to give players (who need a decent amount of court time) to get their game on." He needs players who can step on the court and produce immediately. Against Indiana, Dorka didn't look like she was immediately on her game. I don't think she is hurt at all. She didn't hit her shots and blew a lay-up. Can't do that. Not now. My question is why Caroline got so little time. She made two of three shots and looked active on defense. Probably, just not enough room for Williams, Paige, Azzi, Westbrook and CD. Even though AZZI was way off in the second half.

Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree. Geno most assuredly would use nine players if he had nine players who he trusted to perform in a game where it’s win or go home. He played all nine players in prime time yesterday and certainly could have used more time from Dorka to spell Liv & Aaliyah yesterday.

Unfortunately, after really playing well towards the end of the season, Dorka has been playing “rushed” in each of the last 2 games, missing a bunch of layups. That earned her a seat on the bench. Yesterday, many of Dorka’s minutes were assumed by Evina who did a really good job matching up with IN’s bigger forwards.

I really hope Dorka regains her confidence and settles down, so that Geno can trust his 9 player rotation again. It would make a world of difference in the games ahead.
I just wish Gino would have given her more minutes even if it was later in the game when Connecticut was up double digits. Three minutes is not a lot of time to let her settle down. If you’re looking to build her confidence this was definitely not a way of doing it I just hope it didn’t shoot down her confidence even more and put more pressure on her to perform when she plays next time. Playing rushed and under more pressure may only build upon bad habits she’s already seems to have picked up I just hope this didn’t discourage her and destroy her confidence. Very similar to Caroline not playing and she appeared to be OK in her limited minutes. Fingers crossed because we will definitely need her in the following games

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That could be. The gasoline on the fire part is directed at how do you fix nervousness, a lack of confidence, or rushing things. Is it by showing a lack of confidence in that player with a quick hook?, or by letting them work thru it a little bit? I'm not sure what is best, but what I fear is that this kind of quick hook reinforces whatever lack of confidence a player has, and might make them even more nervous the next time they are called on, because despite how they have performed all season, they know one screw up in the first few minutes and they are gone.

I hope the players respond well to whatever technique Geno applies, and he knows them and I don't, so that is a given too, but if it is basketball or something completely different, I don't understand how potentially destroying confidence with a quick hook helps build confidence if that is the issue affecting play that needs to be improved. We all know Geno's records they speak for themselves, I hope all nine get over their jitters and play with confidence. When the problem is most other things I think the stick probably works great, and has for Geno many times. When it is nerves, or a lack of confidence seems like the carrot might be more appropriate. But people are different and react in different ways so who knows.
The winning is more important than attempting to fix the psyche of any one individual player. Unless it’s an irreplaceable part within the concept of “the team.” What was that line in the move Miracle? The name on the front of the jersey is a lot more important than the name on the back? Isn’t that so for the NCAA Tourney and to every other Husky player on the team with the dream of winning it all? They are to risk that because one of the bench player's is feeling a little off that day? That's not fair to them. The fan might feel bad but it's not fair to the other players that are okay.

The coach has the responsibility to try to do his best to coach to win. And when you have spoken of “earned the right,” every other player on the team that isn’t as nervous has “earned the right” to expect that Geno to play the best players that will help their team win the game. That’s the center where his coach’s decisions rely.

But I’d like to ask, hasn’t he shown you over the years that they have responded well? And didn’t CD respond well? Hasn’t AE if in fact she was benched at any point to any serious degree, hasn't she responded well?

The thing is, in sports, nothing is rarely assured. And you can’t even ensure the best of the best won’t get nervous. You just do your best with the formula you best believe in. Geno’s formula has worked. So why change?

Reaction Score
If the missed shots in this game were all there was to see, it might seem premature to pull her. I counted 5 missed layups and very short shots in the UCF game, too. That doesn't mean she can't come back and play meaningful minutes. I just hope she slows herself down and plays the way we've seen previously. If UConn gets another crew of foul-happy refs, the team will need her.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

The hook should not be a teaching moment in the post-season.

Geno should have already told the assembled troops that this is the one-and-done time. That that means they must be focussed and ready to contribute when they are inserted into a game. That failure to perform will mean removal in pretty short order, and that if others are performing well they might not get back in that game.

If he does this, then the players need to listen to and believe those things. (Apparently Geno claims Caroline's the only one who listens.) And act on them: be focussed and ready to play whenever called on.

If they do listen, then being taken out then is not seen as punishment, nor a message, nor a comment on the value of their contributions that got the team here. It's a move that is intended to improve the team's likelihood of surviving this game and advancing.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I haven't read this whole thread so this might have been mentioned already.

But on the layup: I don't think Dorka ever had complete control of the ball. I've watched the play five or six times, and that would explain both the hesitation and the bad overshoot. Under "normal" circumstances, whatever that means, there would be no way you could miss that shot that badly. I think it happens a lot in women's college basketball that the ball slips out on quick shots near the basket. I'm go to go with this explanation and not read anything further into it.

Go Dorka.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Liv and AE were amped up for this game.
They were exhibiting some fast twitch cat-like reflexes on defense and when rebounding.
They were beating out the competition by fractions of a second to make steals, rebounds and shots.
Dorka was having a crises in confidence and Geno probably wanted her to observe how aggressive the players with experience from last year's tournament were performing.

Also, there's another game in 2 days, and by resting her today she will be fresher for the next game.
She just needs to focus & concentrate more on executing the tasks at hand.
You don’t really believe he was resting her for the next game, do you!

Reaction Score
Nika’s 3rd foul was right in front of us. On the inbound she basically hit the Indiana player with 2 hands in the chest/shoulders, very much like a football CB playing bump and run. Mind you the girl was running from baseline to outside and had her back to the ball. She was not setting a screen and was in no way going to be an issue at that point in time. It was a head scratcher. And it’s too bad because Nika certainly raises the energy level when she comes in.

I love her. The way she fouls (and then acts like it isn't a foul) is hysterical. I know Geno doesn't think it's funny at the time, but even he seems to get a kick out of it after the game. (Hence his comment)

Reaction Score
I thought it was a reference to Caroline. Still only a freshman, Caroline needs some time to settle into a game and find her groove. She’s a great player, though, and will learn. She’s incredibly coachable - Geno says she’s the only one that listens to him.

Caroline had an excellent first/second quarter though. Granted, when she came in the fourth she didn't. But I thought her first/second quarter was part of the reason Dorka didn't play. She was incredibly effective (made some layups - which all of our posts were struggling with). When she came in during the second half, she looked shaky. So when Geno went small, he played Evina at the 4 instead.

Reaction Score

I think there is over analyzing, not you specifically but everyone. Apply the same logic to Azzi and she sits during most of that game. She has turnovers, number of missed shots, etc... AE, bless her, has offensive fouls which equals turnovers. I can go on with the starters. It seems if your not a starter you have an incredibly short leash, even if you dont play bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caroline came out after her turnover in the circle. You could see Geno was upset. Honestly, he played all of the right people for the right amount of time yesterday. This is crunch time.
So her one turnover in two games? She had 2 assists yeatwrday and the higest for any player was 3 for whole game. Plus she was 2 for 3 fg.

Really struggling huh.

Reaction Score
I haven't read this whole thread so this might have been mentioned already.

But on the layup: I don't think Dorka ever had complete control of the ball. I've watched the play five or six times, and that would explain both the hesitation and the bad overshoot. Under "normal" circumstances, whatever that means, there would be no way you could miss that shot that badly. I think it happens a lot in women's college basketball that the ball slips out on quick shots near the basket. I'm go to go with this explanation and not read anything further into it.

Go Dorka.
she has frequently demonstrated hard hands, as opposed to soft hands (catcher mitts) like Napheesa C was blessed with

Reaction Score
I think there is over analyzing, not you specifically but everyone. Apply the same logic to Azzi and she sits during most of that game. She has turnovers, number of missed shots, etc... AE, bless her, has offensive fouls which equals turnovers. I can go on with the starters. It seems if your not a starter you have an incredibly short leash, even if you dont play bad.
That's how it should be. There's a reason why players are starters and those that are deeper on the bench. You trust the starters the more. That's the reason why they start and play the most minutes. It's why you don't apply the same logic to Azzi.

Reaction Score
So her one turnover in two games? She had 2 assists yeatwrday and the higest for any player was 3 for whole game. Plus she was 2 for 3 fg.

Really struggling huh.
It's why she is 9th on the bench before the NCAA had started rather than 6th for example. So yeah she was.

sun

Reaction Score
You don’t really believe he was resting her for the next game, do you!
No, not primarily.
From hindsight, Dorka hasn't been exhibiting the ability to score from a variety of positions on the floor like she did earlier in the season.
That may be another reason why Geno dismisses her as quickly as he does.
Just as rapidly as AE has improved offensively, Dorka's scoring ability seems to have declined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is production time. Players need to be ready. We are at the time of serious play. There is no time off during the remainder of the season. Focus! These are competitive gals with great skills, with their basketball experience they know this is their time to shine. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
It’s likely we’ll need Dorka at times tonight to keep the 6’5” Cunane bottled up.
Maybe focusing and getting good run on defense leads to better flow reactions on offense?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom