How can anyone defend Edsall? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

How can anyone defend Edsall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Please understand, I am not defending the pace of the turnaround. I am saying that Coach Edsall can rightfully claim that a turnaround is in progress. I am also saying that it appears the AD has signed on to Edsall's 5-Year Plan. Never said where I personally stood on the matter.

On a related matter, how was the fan turn-out at the Rent for Senior Day. I unfortunately had no access to television where I was yesterday. Looks like 12,000 or so was the official but what was the reality? Fan interest, or lack thereof, could definitely play into the decision as to whether or not to part with Randy, if not this year perhaps next.
probably a thousand for the seniors. felt like the band had as many as the crowd for the ceremony.

Was a beautiful day there in the sun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Next year will be another embarrassment. Why hang that on a new coach? One more year then out.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why I waste my time reading this drivel created by so called Husky fans! We aren't a pro team so we can't acquire players whenever we want. If you don't see the visible difference from last year to this year, you are ignorant. In football, a good QB is the base- put Bryant Shireffs on this team and we are at least 5 and 6. We beat Illinois, Houston and ECU. We are probably more competitive on the road. Why? A coach like RE works best winning the turnover game. QB's this year did not protect the ball. They were limited and that affected play calling. If we don't lose lots of kids, we will be much better due to experience and easier schedule. RE has improved the talent- he could do better with transfers, but this class will get us back to 85 scholarships and that is your basis.

Reaction Score
Just for the record:

UCONN has not won a conference game in two years.
UCONN barely beat the worst team in FBS
UCONN barely beat a 1-11 FCS team

and there are people defending the head coach. Say there has been progress it’s just a slow pace.

To be fair, saying we barely beat the worst team in FBS is not accurate, we won by 3 touchdowns

Reaction Score
UConn Football, a short play

Scene - David Benedict, Athletic Director for the UConn huskies, has just fired Randy Edsall. It is January 1st, and Benedict is sitting in a regal leather chair in a luxury smoking jacket. He dials the phone number of a well-regarded D1 Football coaching prospect to talk about his newly open Head Coaching position.

David Benedict -

"Hello potential Good D-1 coach - My name is David Benedict. I am the man who just decided that UConn will invest in UConn basketball at the expense of the future of our football program. I would like to interview you about our Head Football Coaching Position. We have not had a winning season in 10 years. We are moving haphazardly into an uncertain future as a D1 Independent. We just fired the architect of the only moderate record of success we have had in our entire D1 history. We have a very uncertain political situation around the support for our football program, which has historically been massively supported by unpopular student fees and is widely seen as an anchor around the neck of our other, successful sports programs. Our stadium is 30 minutes from campus, and our average attendance for the past 10 years is about 40% stadium capacity. Sorry, just to be clear that is our "Announced" attendance. Our actual butts in the seats fans is closer to 20% capacity. Sorry, that's at the start of the game. By the end, its usually friends and family only. A recent tradition we've implemented to save our fanbase the shame of watching the last 10 minutes or so of a 35 point blowouts. We can offer you approximate salary and coaching pool of a MAC school. We have fired each of our past 3 coaches before their initial contract is up or before each has had a full 4 recruiting classes to prove their worth as recruiters or developers of talent. Our fanbase, what is left of it after 10 years of embarrassing losses, coaching turnover, and mass exodus of political support, have very high expectations for our program and expects a quick turnaround to winning football despite a decade of evidence pointing to this being a massive rebuilding effort. Would you be interested in a quick call to discuss?"

Potential D1 Coach -

"... click."

David Benedict -

"Hello? Sir, are you still there?"

End of Scene.

Your fantasy at least aligns with your expectations.

Reaction Score
Competition isn't close and you know it. The AAC and MAC are worlds apart talent wise.
The players left after Diaco for the most part were terrible and we all know it.

I am not a fan of Edsall's conservatism on offense either and wish he would turn it over to the offensive coordinator and stay as the defense type coach
We can’t beat MAC competition either.

Reaction Score
Randy's rebuilding stinks for anyone with expectations of UConn being a competitive team by now. He's lost to horrific ECU teams the last three years. ECU has won four conference games in the same time span; three of those wins were against Randy. Yeah, let's keep riding this.
The mistake was made by hiring Randy back in the first place. I still remember not believing it when I first heard it. I though people were busting my butt because I hated his offense during the first tour.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We can’t beat MAC competition either.

You don't know that as we don't play any MAC schools. But I have seen them play and UConn is not the worse one by any means. Just my observation from what I have seen.

Edsall isn't going anywhere, so give it up. That is for all of you complaining. I get it. A new coach every three years isn't good, it just isn't. He gets next year at least.

Reaction Score
The mistake was made by hiring Randy back in the first place. I still remember not believing it when I first heard it. I though people were busting my butt because I hated his offense during the first tour.
I agree with this 100%. Randy’s leaving, especially the way he did it, was the seminal moment in UConn’s downfall. He hopped a plane for his dream job. Where he was not very successful. My brother and I were discussing this evening why would anyone ever hire him back. But here we are scratched out heads, wondering did this really happen?
We’ll continue to look at his recruits less than objectively as most belong in the FCS.

Reaction Score
You don't know that as we don't play any MAC schools. But I have seen them play and UConn is not the worse one by any means. Just my observation from what I have seen.

Edsall isn't going anywhere, so give it up. That is for all of you complaining. I get it. A new coach every three years isn't good, it just isn't. He gets next year at least.

Just stop. We could barely beat Wagner and you think we had a shot against the MAC. Wagner is essentially a D2 team.

Give us a break Bill. Your standards are now so low that you can’t even be taken seriously.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I waste my time reading this drivel created by so called Husky fans! We aren't a pro team so we can't acquire players whenever we want. If you don't see the visible difference from last year to this year, you are ignorant. In football, a good QB is the base- put Bryant Shireffs on this team and we are at least 5 and 6. We beat Illinois, Houston and ECU. We are probably more competitive on the road. Why? A coach like RE works best winning the turnover game. QB's this year did not protect the ball. They were limited and that affected play calling. If we don't lose lots of kids, we will be much better due to experience and easier schedule. RE has improved the talent- he could do better with transfers, but this class will get us back to 85 scholarships and that is your basis.
They are improved. The question is to what degree and what end. 2 wins after 3 seasons of Randy ball is not a barometer of success.

Reaction Score
Edsall is safe until he negotiates a new multi-million buy-out.

That's usually the signal that UConn is about ready to fire the coach.

Reaction Score
Well our historically bad defensive records only lasted a season...so there's that, Thanks UMass!

Stat of the Week II
UMass allowed 42 points in the second quarter of a 56-24 loss to BYU on Saturday. It dropped them to 1-11 on the season, which has mercifully come to a conclusion. And what a historic season it was, for you see, the 56 points allowed in that game means UMass allowed 632 points this season. That's worth an average of 52.7 points allowed per game. Both are records for an FBS program, breaking the mark set by UConn (605 points allowed, 50.4 per game) all the way back in 2018.

Reaction Score
I don't love the play calling either, but I don't think you can run an athletic program if you fire the coach after every bad play call. Unless a coach calls a fake fake field goal, then you should fire him on the spot.

Diaco is the worst FBS coach I have ever seen. It was going to take time to recover from that debacle. There was enough improvement this season, plus a promising young QB, to justify another season of Edsall
I put Diaco as worse than Terry Shea and I thought he was the most clueless coach I ever saw and thought I’d never see anyone that bad. Lordy, was I wrong. Diaco could neither coach nor recruit. He brought in basically D1aa quality players. If you look at Ross, Drayton, the linebacker, the quarterback, the running back. You can say lots of things but not that recruiting isn’t getting better.

Reaction Score
I put Diaco as worse than Terry Shea and I thought he was the most clueless coach I ever saw and thought I’d never see anyone that bad. Lordy, was I wrong. Diaco could neither coach nor recruit. He brought in basically D1aa quality players. If you look at Ross, Drayton, the linebacker, the quarterback, the running back. You can say lots of things but not that recruiting isn’t getting better.
I agree with this BTW. The point was and is he coached them into a loss yesterday with that cluster of a series following Keshaun Paul's interception. Wussyball at it's finest. When you coach like that, you deserve to lose.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We cannot defend him. No wins in conference past 2 years. So now a reset as an Indy?

Reaction Score

Well there’s your RE ceiling 5/6 wins. What a joke! A consistent loser and folks go to the mat for this guy.

Same folks that would have given Ollie another few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger