How bad this season has been | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How bad this season has been

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You are nuts. And I think YOU just haven't watched decades of college basketball .. and your team evaluation skills are modest.

I don't care what Pat Forde or Doyel or some Dallas guy writes.

This team had obvious deficiencies. If you just go by what you read, then you aren't thinking. Did Jalen Adams prove he was a solid playmaker in 2016 Feb & March? What kind of improvement would you see coming from the seniors Purvis, Brimah, Facey (*in hindsight .. this factor is exactly as you should have seen coming. Brimah was doing what is in his skillset and had little Offensive upside; Purvis peaked as an athlete in his teens and was a solid player .. but not going to be a CBB star; and Facey was the ONE who might expand his repertoire into facing the hoop scoring, rebounding and better D)? What would Larrier bring? I can picture what this team would have with a healthy TL .. can't you? Would any of Jackson, Vital, Durham, Enoch play better than expected? 2 answers are solid; the other 2 are quite promising today. Gilbert? Astonishingly easy charging to the hoop. We miss him.

If you add that up .. you still don't (honestly) get us beyond SMU or Cincinnati this year. And I think the latter should have been obvious to a UConn fan on October 1; and the Mustangs look better than one might have expected given the Brown exit. This is a better conference; we might have lost to Houston or Memphis anyway.

Completely incorrect? Where am I wrong? There is nothing in that mix that says top of conference - now that we know (and even if you had limited knowledge of Cincy); and the top 25 was dependent on good results in Maui, not fn up early, and Auburn/Ohio State being different. This Team was/should have been top 40 in your eyes. Make the tournament. But .. we were top 20 because of our Name. Yup. We still get that.

As for Palatine whining .. Wagner. Wagner lost their best player for the year with 12 minutes left in that game; any notion that they are the same team today (when you are mid-major level) is dumb. I see the Wagner loss on the scheduling; and Ollie knew it. You play a competitive March contender from 2016 with 6 of their top 7 back in your first game: Wagner, with a good coach, looked like they played together in the same offense in Summer League for months (which they probably did). UConn looked like a bunch that didn't know each other or their roles; which is true.

Yeah: you are Connecticut curmudgeon whiners.
According to your post on September 28th, 2016 you had very different opinions about the AAC and the Huskies 16/17 campaign. It appears you haven't watched enough basketball to predict UConn's trouble: because you thought in September we were one of the best two teams in the conference, but that contradicts your previous post on this thread. Pick a side, I'm not debating both sides for fun.

So either you changed your opinions just to attack me, realized your initial opinion was wrong and got upset I called you out, or you don't understand how easy it is to use the search function on here.

No I wouldn't have done this if you didn't call me nuts. But I am nuts. And this is the BY.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.PNG
    IMG_0228.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
Reaction Score
According to your post on September 28th, 2016 you had very different opinions about the AAC and the Huskies 16/17 campaign. It appears you haven't watched enough basketball to predict UConn's trouble: because you thought in September we were one of the best two teams in the conference, but that contradicts your previous post on this thread. Pick a side, I'm not debating both sides for fun.

So either you changed your opinions just to attack me, realized your initial opinion was wrong and got upset I called you out, or you don't understand how easy it is to use the search function on here.

No I wouldn't have done this if you didn't call me nuts. But I am nuts. And this is the BY.
Thanks for bitch-slapping this guy. All i said is it sucks that us beating anyone is ever considered a "bad" loss for them....and it always sucks being in the company of BC. And for that, I'm labeled a whiner. Get a grip dude.....I'm not ready to kill myself over it, just saying it sucks.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
But even UNC (9-20 and than a .500 season) has had a down year as well as Duke in the early 90s for one season at about 13-18, Indiana for a few years was down and one could argue this year too at 14-10, the same record as Michigan St. UCLA has had down years too in the recent past.

As did UK during the Tubby/Gillespie years (and for fun, the NIT team in '13, what a joke!).

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be able to point to one player on our team and say "that is one tough son of a gun"? Preferably a forward or center who plays with a chip on their shoulder. Even when you are down 2 of your best those type of attitude players can make a difference. We don't have that and it's a big reason we are not competitive against better teams. Guys who fight, dive on the floor, go to the rack and take punishment. As good as our shooting last game, no one drove to the hoop. Can't rely on 65% 3 point shooting night in and out.
Christian.Vital. He's a guard but he a tough sob

Reaction Score
How do you explain the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. These teams are nowhere close to our level of success historically yet are perennial top 25 if not top 10 teams, at least in the past 5 years. I don't think it's crazy to expect a program like UConn to be dominating conference play and fringing upon the top 10.
Within the last 5 years Xavier has missed the NIT and been a 12 seed, hardly a perennial top 25 let alone top 10 team.

Butler missed the NIT twice in the last 5 years.

So it is pretty easy to explain, it is fantasy world.

Reaction Score
I could honestly care what our regular season record is as long as we make deep runs / win the NCAA tournament. I mean the ultimate goal is to win right? To think some people here complain that we aren't top 10 every year. We've won 2 of the past 6 titles. As someone here mentioned, Kentucky had an NIT season a few years back. It happens to everyone.

Reaction Score
I could honestly care what our regular season record is as long as we make deep runs / win the NCAA tournament. I mean the ultimate goal is to win right? To think some people here complain that we aren't top 10 every year. We've won 2 of the past 6 titles.

Quiz: Winning a national championship is more likely after:
a) a dominant regular season
b) a mediocre regular season

Nobody is poo-pooing what we did in 2011 and 2014. That said, those were highly unlikely runs. Going forward, we're not going to be able to count on winning championships from a #7 seed. Moreover, in those seasons we don't win it all, we're still able to stay relevant if we're a #1-2 seed going into the Tournament, vs. largely irrelevant as a lower seed.

Reaction Score
Quiz: Winning a national championship is more likely after:
a) a dominant regular season
b) a mediocre regular season

Nobody is poo-pooing what we did in 2011 and 2014. That said, those were highly unlikely runs. Going forward, we're not going to be able to count on winning championships from a #7 seed. Moreover, in those seasons we don't win it all, we're still able to stay relevant if we're a #1-2 seed going into the Tournament, vs. largely irrelevant as a lower seed.
I think we play to peak in March. I too would prefer a dominant regular season. In 2014 there were so many games where Shabaz wouldn't score in the first half only to score 20 in the second. Get the team working together, facing some difficulties, working things out etc. Some of these games we won and some were only learning experiences. I think 2014 was similar. The conference season was used that way. Kemba turned it up on occasion. We probably don't have the horses this year but who knows we're still growing. Some hot shooting and here we come. Next!

Reaction Score
Within the last 5 years Xavier has missed the NIT and been a 12 seed, hardly a perennial top 25 let alone top 10 team.

Butler missed the NIT twice in the last 5 years.

So it is pretty easy to explain, it is fantasy world.
I'll take your word on those examples. Maybe it's a recency effect that it seems like those schools always outkick their coverage. That being said, our program has still gone 8 years without having a dominant regular season team. Of course, we all love the deep march runs but there's no reason a program of our caliber should go a near decade without a dominant team from November to March. Yes, we've dealt with sanctions and CR issues but eventually those excuses need to stop being used.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of whiners. We were bound to have a challenge year. Ollie chose to bring FR in & forego Grad plugs. Then .. 2 of our top 3 talents went down before our 5th game.

Learn in College Sports that sometimes you have development years. We aren't a Blueblood like UNC or UK that just spins top 10 recruit one after another; we win with Team play and development. This is a joyful year watching our final year of development of Purvis & Brimah .. and particularly Facey. And cheer the great improvement of Jackson & Vital & Adams. Look forward to next years 3 recruits.

We will have a solid incredible March again.
Even KY missed the tourney and winning a championship

Reaction Score
How do you explain the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. These teams are nowhere close to our level of success historically yet are perennial top 25 if not top 10 teams, at least in the past 5 years. I don't think it's crazy to expect a program like UConn to be dominating conference play and fringing upon the top 10.

I think the answer is obvious ... and has been right in your face on this boneyard postings. We were hurt by the sanctions and recruiting handcuffs as Calhoun exited. We plugged with Grad Transfers and, frankly, we had a Coach that figured out Roles extraordinary well. ONLY NOW ... as we entered 2016-2017, did we have a three class true recruiting harvest. I think WE (fans that read and think this ... instead of just attending games as entertainment) should have seen the difficulty of this year. UConn does get placed as a Blueblood in Preseason rankings. And, that top 20 is hard for us to accept if we aren't placed there ... and I guess we should expect not to be there in Oct. 2017. But, with a comeback from injuries, we should be far better. (just need a rim protector defender type)

And I love this "dominant" regular season chant. WE WON National Championships. Ok ... let's throw them back. They were not after playing well in our regular season.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And I love this "dominant" regular season chant. WE WON National Championships. Ok .. let's throw them back. They were not after playing well in our regular season.
In 2 years when we go 35-4 but lose in the Elite 8 these posters will complain that Ollie can't get us over the hump in March.

They're miserable and clueless. Just enjoy watching a bunch of kids who clearly love the team improve over the course of games, months and years.

Reaction Score
In 2 years when we go 35-4 but lose in the Elite 8 these posters will complain that Ollie can't get us over the hump in March.

Not true in the slightest.

I will be firmly on the KO bandwagon if he delivers us a 35-4, #2 seed, Elite 8 type of season in 2 years, and you can quote me on that if and when it comes to pass.

Reaction Score

I will be firmly on the KO bandwagon if he delivers us a 35-4, #2 seed, Elite 8 type of season in 2 years, and you can quote me on that if and when it comes to pass.
I would be thrilled with that, even for the next decade...35-4 and 32-6 type seasons going to the elite 8 and sweet 16 often are A-ok with me, and if he does get over the hump after many years of that, no worries for me as long as he can deliver at least one championship in the next 15 years after those types of seasons.

Well, let us see. In two years I want to see a Huge difference from this year.

Reaction Score
I would be thrilled with that, even for the next decade..35-4 and 32-6 type seasons going to the elite 8 and sweet 16 often are A-ok with me, and if he does get over the hump after many years of that, no worries for me as long as he can deliver at least one championship in the next 15 years after those types of seasons.

Well, let us see. In two years I want to see a Huge difference from this year.

Exactly. KO already has the "can win the big one" credibility. What he hasn't demonstrated yet is the ability to have the team in contention on a regular basis.

If we're routinely grabbing top 5 seeds, the deep runs and championship possibilities will follow naturally. If not, we will be relying on flukes.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, blue bloods have down years. But when was the last time we had a great regular season, 2009? We've had legendary runs in the tournament which mar the fact that we haven't had any real dominant teams. If that guy for Arizona hits that 3 in '11 and Brimah doesn't get that and-1, our program would be considered to be in a slump for a near decade.

This has to go down as one of the greatest glass is half empty posts in history. I'm an incurable pessimist by nature, and even I'm blown away by this one.

Matrim55

Reaction Score

BTW the fact that you felt compelled to respond to my post is your tacit acknowledgement of the fact that you identify as miserable and clueless. ;)

Reaction Score
BTW the fact that you felt compelled to respond to my post is your tacit acknowledgement of the fact that you identify as miserable and clueless. ;)

Ha, well, I intentionally omitted that part when I quoted your post.

I have been a fairly outspoken critic of KO, and believe strongly that this program needs to get back to the point where we're routinely ranked, earning high seeds, and relevant throughout the year. KO has 2-3 years to demonstrate he can do that.

I thought it only fair to go on record with those expectations and acknowledge that I would consider the type of dominant regular season you described sufficient to assuage my concerns.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I have been a fairly outspoken critic of KO, and believe strongly that this program needs to get back to the point where we're routinely ranked, earning high seeds, and relevant throughout the year. KO has 2-3 years to demonstrate he can do that.
One-word answer: Do you expect him to?

Reaction Score
Truthfully I would rather have the Nationships Championships. Where is it written in historyThat UConn went 35 -2 and lost in the first round of the tourney. Izzo went to how many tournament games year after year but didn't win the Ch. game. The only time that is mentioned is during tournament time, other that it is never mentioned how many reg. Season games they won.

It is mentioned that UConn won 4 NC in the last 17 years, not how many reg season games we we won

Reaction Score
Truthfully I would rather have the Nationships Championships. Where is it written in historyThat UConn went 35 -2 and lost in the first round of the tourney. Izzo went to how many tournament games year after year but didn't win the Ch. game. The only time that is mentioned is during tournament time, other that it is never mentioned how many reg. Season games they won.

It is mentioned that UConn won 4 NC in the last 17 years, not how many reg season games we we won

I really didn't describe what I wanted to say very clearly but I think you guys can figure it out. Reg season games are practice for the Tourney.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Exactly right. Who cares about winning regular season conference championships? It's all about March and winning your conference tourney and then the grand prize.

Reaction Score
One-word answer: Do you expect him to?

Maybe. (Cop out I know.)

There's a few different ways to think about this.

Q: What should a program of our history and caliber demand?
A: Ranked and top 5 seed 7 years out of 10; top 10 and legitimate contender 4 years out of 10 (note that even these are below our historical performance in the 90's and 00's)

Q: What is KO capable of?
A: Who knows. We've emerged from the sanctions era and he's shown an ability to land 1 great recruit per year, but still hasn't gotten a stud big man and his player development record is spotty. In-game coaching has shown some flashes of brilliance, but also periods of stale and ineffective offense. Next year he will have a full team of "his guys".

The 2014 team was hot in March, but underperformed in the middle of the year. 2015 was just bad throughout, no talent. Last year the team generally underperformed, got hot for about 4 games. This year the team wasn't ready to play in November, period, but has gotten better under difficult circumstances.

My concern is that KO will continue to struggle to have the team firing on all cylinders in November through February. Even if we come on in March, we're still looking at low seeds (6 and below), and hoping for matchups to break the right way.

The next 2-3 years will be very telling.

In principle, all of KO's pieces will be there and we'll be able to evaluate whether he can uphold the expectations that this program has become accustomed to.

Reaction Score

Exactly right. Who cares about winning regular season conference championships? It's all about March and winning your conference tourney and then the grand prize.

I think we're talking past each other here.

Nobody is saying "I would rather have gone 35-4 and lost in the Elite 8 than gone 32-9 and won the championship."

What I am saying is: in the future, going 35-3 heading into the Tournament is more likely to produce deep runs and championships than going 26-9 heading into the Tournament.

This really should not be that controversial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom