How bad this season has been | The Boneyard

How bad this season has been

Reaction Score
They are going over potential brackets on CBS right now. Got to Syracuse's potential case for a spot in the field..... their bad losses listed were us and BC. Ugh does that feel awful.

Reaction Score
STFU

What a bunch of whiners. We were bound to have a challenge year. Ollie chose to bring FR in & forego Grad plugs. Then ... 2 of our top 3 talents went down before our 5th game.

Learn in College Sports that sometimes you have development years. We aren't a Blueblood like UNC or UK that just spins top 10 recruit one after another; we win with Team play and development. This is a joyful year watching our final year of development of Purvis & Brimah ... and particularly Facey. And cheer the great improvement of Jackson & Vital & Adams. Look forward to next years 3 recruits.

We will have a solid incredible March again.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What a bunch of whiners. We were bound to have a challenge year. Ollie chose to bring FR in & forego Grad plugs. Then .. 2 of our top 3 talents went down before our 5th game.

Learn in College Sports that sometimes you have development years. We aren't a Blueblood like UNC or UK that just spins top 10 recruit one after another; we win with Team play and development. This is a joyful year watching our final year of development of Purvis & Brimah .. and particularly Facey. And cheer the great improvement of Jackson & Vital & Adams. Look forward to next years 3 recruits.

This is completely incorrect. We were projected to finish atop the AAC and we were ranked in the Top 25 in the preseason. Our recruiting class featured a McDonalds All-American and numerous other 4 star prospects. Yes, the injuries hurt our chances, but to say it was a challenge year is completely incorrect.

As for the grad transfers comment, I think our fresh have come along nicely. We didn't lose the first game of the season because of the lack of grad transfers and "it was a challenge."

Reaction Score
This is completely incorrect. We were projected to finish atop the AAC and we were ranked in the Top 25 in the preseason. Our recruiting class featured a McDonalds All-American and numerous other 4 star prospects. Yes, the injuries hurt our chances, but to say it was a challenge year is completely incorrect.

Huh? You're touting the presence of a McDonald's All-American to refute the idea that this season has been a challenge, and the kid hasn't played. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score

As for the grad transfers comment, I think our fresh have come along nicely. We didn't lose the first game of the season because of the lack of grad transfers and "it was a challenge."

He was talking about AFTER the injuries.

Reaction Score
This season has been so bad . . . that there is no thread about who (Boneyarders) from the Orlando area will be there tonight to support the team.

As of yesterday, there were still lots of good tickets left. I scored two in the third row, section 107, near center court, for $20 each (plus the obligatory fees).

I will be there, loud and proud, in my vintage 1999 "We Shocked the World" tee. Anybody else?

Reaction Score
What a bunch of whiners. We were bound to have a challenge year. Ollie chose to bring FR in & forego Grad plugs. Then .. 2 of our top 3 talents went down before our 5th game.

Learn in College Sports that sometimes you have development years. We aren't a Blueblood like UNC or UK that just spins top 10 recruit one after another; we win with Team play and development. This is a joyful year watching our final year of development of Purvis & Brimah .. and particularly Facey. And cheer the great improvement of Jackson & Vital & Adams. Look forward to next years 3 recruits.

It's not going to be as much of a challenge in March if Purvis can keep shooting the lights out. That really helps us a lot. Opens things up for Brimah, Facey, or whoever is in the middle. Also with good passing helps in finding an open man.

Reaction Score
We aren't a Blueblood like UNC or UK .
But even UNC (9-20 and than a .500 season) has had a down year as well as Duke in the early 90s for one season at about 13-18, Indiana for a few years was down and one could argue this year too at 14-10, the same record as Michigan St. UCLA has had down years too in the recent past.

Reaction Score
And even UNC (9-20 and than a .500 season), Duke in the early 90s for one season at about 9-18, Indiana for a few years and one could argue this year too at 14-10 like Michigan St. and UCLA have had down years.
Yes, blue bloods have down years. But when was the last time we had a great regular season, 2009? We've had legendary runs in the tournament which mar the fact that we haven't had any real dominant teams. If that guy for Arizona hits that 3 in '11 and Brimah doesn't get that and-1, our program would be considered to be in a slump for a near decade.

Reaction Score

We were pre-season #18 in the country.

Reaction Score
Yes, blue bloods have down years. But when was the last time we had a great regular season, 2009? We've had legendary runs in the tournament which mar the fact that we haven't had any real dominant teams. If that guy for Arizona hits that 3 in '11 and Brimah doesn't get that and-1, our program would be considered to be in a slump for a near decade.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Reaction Score

You are nuts. And I think YOU just haven't watched decades of college basketball ... and your team evaluation skills are modest.

I don't care what Pat Forde or Doyel or some Dallas guy writes.

This team had obvious deficiencies. If you just go by what you read, then you aren't thinking. Did Jalen Adams prove he was a solid playmaker in 2016 Feb & March? What kind of improvement would you see coming from the seniors Purvis, Brimah, Facey (*in hindsight ... this factor is exactly as you should have seen coming. Brimah was doing what is in his skillset and had little Offensive upside; Purvis peaked as an athlete in his teens and was a solid player ... but not going to be a CBB star; and Facey was the ONE who might expand his repertoire into facing the hoop scoring, rebounding and better D)? What would Larrier bring? I can picture what this team would have with a healthy TL ... can't you? Would any of Jackson, Vital, Durham, Enoch play better than expected? 2 answers are solid; the other 2 are quite promising today. Gilbert? Astonishingly easy charging to the hoop. We miss him.

If you add that up ... you still don't (honestly) get us beyond SMU or Cincinnati this year. And I think the latter should have been obvious to a UConn fan on October 1; and the Mustangs look better than one might have expected given the Brown exit. This is a better conference; we might have lost to Houston or Memphis anyway.

Completely incorrect? Where am I wrong? There is nothing in that mix that says top of conference - now that we know (and even if you had limited knowledge of Cincy); and the top 25 was dependent on good results in Maui, not up early, and Auburn/Ohio State being different. This Team was/should have been top 40 in your eyes. Make the tournament. But ... we were top 20 because of our Name. Yup. We still get that.

As for Palatine whining ... Wagner. Wagner lost their best player for the year with 12 minutes left in that game; any notion that they are the same team today (when you are mid-major level) is dumb. I see the Wagner loss on the scheduling; and Ollie knew it. You play a competitive March contender from 2016 with 6 of their top 7 back in your first game: Wagner, with a good coach, looked like they played together in the same offense in Summer League for months (which they probably did). UConn looked like a bunch that didn't know each other or their roles; which is true.

Yeah: you are Connecticut curmudgeon whiners.

Reaction Score

Villanova had a 13 win season under Wright not long ago. Arizona CAN go far down as we saw ... prior to Miller. All this is possible. Probably not at Duke or UNC or UK with predictability. They just re-load better and have the same Program with the same HC.

Reaction Score
Villanova had a 13 win season under Wright not long ago. Arizona CAN go far down as we saw .. prior to Miller. All this is possible. Probably not at Duke or UNC or UK with predictability. They just re-load better and have the same Program with the same HC.
How do you explain the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. These teams are nowhere close to our level of success historically yet are perennial top 25 if not top 10 teams, at least in the past 5 years. I don't think it's crazy to expect a program like UConn to be dominating conference play and fringing upon the top 10.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are going over potential brackets on CBS right now. Got to Syracuse's potential case for a spot in the field.... their bad losses listed were us and BC. Ugh does that feel awful.
Predicted that one.

Reaction Score
They are going over potential brackets on CBS right now. Got to Syracuse's potential case for a spot in the field.... their bad losses listed were us and BC. Ugh does that feel awful.

I could be wrong but when we beat them in 2007 that was a bad loss for them too. It probably kept them out of the tournament.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
How do you explain the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. These teams are nowhere close to our level of success historically yet are perennial top 25 if not top 10 teams, at least in the past 5 years.
1. They weren't torn apart by sanctions
2. They didn't lose a Hall of Fame coach at the start of the decade
3. They weren't the big losers in CR musical chairs
4. They didn't have 4 straight down/patchwork recruiting classes

This isn't super-difficult stuff to understand.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be able to point to one player on our team and say "that is one tough son of a gun"? Preferably a forward or center who plays with a chip on their shoulder. Even when you are down 2 of your best those type of attitude players can make a difference. We don't have that and it's a big reason we are not competitive against better teams. Guys who fight, dive on the floor, go to the rack and take punishment. As good as our shooting last game, no one drove to the hoop. Can't rely on 65% 3 point shooting night in and out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How do you explain the likes of Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. These teams are nowhere close to our level of success historically yet are perennial top 25 if not top 10 teams, at least in the past 5 years. I don't think it's crazy to expect a program like UConn to be dominating conference play and fringing upon the top 10.
And if not for injuries who knows where they sit??? It's nice to be top 25 annually BUT do you think their fan base would like 1 NC never mind 4???

Reaction Score
I completely agree with your last statement but Butler has 17, 11, and 11 losses the past 3 seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom