How about UConn and Navy to the ACC? | The Boneyard

How about UConn and Navy to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this scenario has been mentioned before, but I have not read anything about it lately. It makes sense on so many levels. Obviously, Navy would be football only, therefore, the ACC would have 16 teams in football and basketball.

Adding UConn would end all questions regarding which is the preeminent basketball conference and be even more ammunition in the ACC's attempt to play at MSG.

Adding Navy would give the ACC a school with even more cache and history than Syracuse and Pitt. Plus, I am sure ND would love this as the Navy game would count as one of their 5 yearly ACC games. Navy also gets the ACC back much of what they lost with Maryland as far as TV goes.

This scenario sounds more realistic than any other at the moment, so the more discussions about it, the better.

Reaction Score
I know this scenario has been mentioned before, but I have not read anything about it lately. It makes sense on so many levels. Obviously, Navy would be football only, therefore, the ACC would have 16 teams in football and basketball.

Adding UConn would end all questions regarding which is the preeminent basketball conference and be even more ammunition in the ACC's attempt to play at MSG.

Adding Navy would give the ACC a school with even more cache and history than Syracuse and Pitt. Plus, I am sure ND would love this as the Navy game would count as one of their 5 yearly ACC games. Navy also gets the ACC back much of what they lost with Maryland as far as TV goes.

This scenario sounds more realistic than any other at the moment, so the more discussions about it, the better.

when this secenario sounds the most realistic...it is time to embrace the AAC.

Reaction Score

On the surface is gets the ACC to 16 for football and 16 for basketball, but it doesn't make sense. ACC is holding a spot for ND to become a full member sometime in the future. So if ND did become a full member in the future, the ACC would then have 17 schools, which wouldn't work and it would be very hard to kick Navy out of any conference.

Reaction Score
on the acc boards, the scenario that mentions Navy is getting them to ACC as part of a package to induce ND into a full time member, then taking Georgetown for b-ball/olympic sports to get basketball to an even 16, and back into DC market with Maryland leaving. Of course this is a longshot and further wouldn't happen until 2026 at the soonest since before then ND has no incentive to join anywhere full time.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
And we've hit rock bottom.
Rock bottom will be when:
Cincy, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, UCF and USF go to Big 12,
Tulsa and East Carolina go to SEC,
Boise and Hawaii go to PAC,
SMU goes to MWC,
Buffalo and UMass go to B1G, and Temple and Navy go to ACC.

Now that is rock bottom!

Reaction Score
On the surface is gets the ACC to 16 for football and 16 for basketball, but it doesn't make sense. ACC is holding a spot for ND to become a full member sometime in the future. So if ND did become a full member in the future, the ACC would then have 17 schools, which wouldn't work and it would be very hard to kick Navy out of any conference.

Yep. The ACC is going to hold onto at least one spot as it waits on ND just like the Big 10 w/11 did for years. The ACC could add one team and create 3 divisions of 5. Not ideal for a conference championship game, but not too bad for scheduling football and balances out every other sport with even numbers.

Mark my word, when the B1G signs its new deal in a few years and market shows an increase in college football value, conferences will each add a team or two to utilize the "re-evaluating clause" that the ACC just recently used to up its deal with ESPN.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If there is really going to be an ACC Network, wouldn't it make sense to lock down new England, gain a bigger presence in NYC, grab back Maryland and further increase basketball inventory and national name recognition with Navy/UConn? All the while keeping both football and basketball at 16 teams?

Not saying this is anywhere near likely, but of all the craziness on this board, this is far from the worst idea ever.

Reaction Score
If there is really going to be an ACC Network, wouldn't it make sense to lock down new England, gain a bigger presence in NYC, grab back Maryland and further increase basketball inventory and national name recognition with Navy/UConn? All the while keeping both football and basketball at 16 teams?

Not saying this is anywhere near likely, but of all the craziness on this board, this is far from the worst idea ever.

Like I said in the previous post, the ACC may look to add another team in a few years. Once the B1G signs a new contract and ups the market price, or if the ACC Network has launched, the ACC will need to re-evaluate the contract with ESPN. That's where I see Uconn fitting into the ACC plans, if Uconn is still available. The ACC used this contractural tool with Cuse/Pitt, Ville, and then ND. They will use it again.

Reaction Score
After its contract extension with NBC, I do not think anyone can truly believe that there is any realistic chance that ND joins the ACC for football. If when that contract expires ND decides they want in, the ACC can easily add another full member and a non-football school to get to 18 in both sports. By that time conferences will probably have 16-18 schools anyways.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score

This was an option in my thread I posted this morning. I was angling B1G based on Delany's comments yesterday but noted could work for ACC as well.

http://the-boneyard.com/index.php?threads/UConn-to-B1G-expansion-scenario.39289/

One thing the ACC or B1G could do in regards to Navy would be set a 10 year contract as an associate member. If a better team became available then they could be dropped if they didn't meet bench marks ala Temple's original arrangement with the old Big East.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, anyone still pushing Navy for anything hasn't been paying attention and should be caned.

It's gobsmackingly stupid to posit Navy as a member of a power conference.

I don't want to insult anyone, but f---, think about it.

Reaction Score
Honestly, anyone still pushing Navy for anything hasn't been paying attention and should be caned.

Fishy, how can you say that when Rutgers, the least succesful "major" athletic department in the nation, got an invite to the almighty B1G?!?

I bet that if you asked people 5 years ago what was more likely, Rutgers to the B1G or Navy to the ACC, more people would go for the latter.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score

Exactly. Rutgers. Fahk. Think about it.

Anything is possible.

Reaction Score
This is a good idea. However, instead of just inviting Navy, the ACC should invite Air Force, Army and the Coast Guard too. That way you have all of the service academies. Right now the Coast Guard doesn't play at the division I level. They might not even play at all. I'm not sure. That would have to be checked on. But I think regardless of that minor detail, they could be cultivated up to the ACC level eventually. You stick those 4 services academies in their own pod called the Military pod. They only play each other. They don't play anyone else from the conference. That way you get them in the conference without actually having to play them. Once that is all set up, the move is made to invite us. That way Notre Dame will be football member #16 when they eventually join fully and everything will be all set. In fact, I think the best thing for the ACC to do is give Notre Dame an ultimatum. Join fully within 2 years or we're kicking you out. If all this goes well, then there will be 16 full time members and one associate Military pod of 4 members - or 5 if they stick the Citadel in there too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Exactly. Rutgers. Fahk. Think about it.

Anything is possible.

If you think Navy is an option for the Big Ten or ACC, you're playing checkers while the rest of us are trying to play chess.

I know the Merchant Marines have a football team - my daughter and I sat near them at a diner in Albany last fall. Obviously, they have to be considered for any power conference seeking influence in the shipping lanes.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the Lady Cadets will help with ratings for WBB.

There, I said it.

eheh

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
If you think Navy is an option for the Big Ten or ACC, you're playing checkers while the rest of us are trying to play chess.

I know the Merchant Marines have a football team - my daughter and I sat near them at a diner in Albany last fall. Obviously, they have to be considered for any power conference seeking influence in the shipping lanes.
Navy as football only was actually a candidate for the ACC to replace Maryland (behind ville, UConn, and Cincy). So don't try to come off as an expert without acknowledging that. I'm very in-tune with what's been going on and I have been since VA Tech and Miami bolted. I'm not suggesting that Navy is the most coveted property out there. They are just the only realistic candidate not locked into GOR and on the east coast that brings the most value as a partner for UConn. They are a national team with national appeal. I've said it here that Navy could be a contracted associate member for whatever conference if better opportunities arise 10 years from now. I'm not some sh@t head that believes in the crap that WVU bloggers are spewing. I'm looking at credible reporting and sources for information. I'm looking at all options for UConn to move up and merely just adding to the discussion. So I guess I'm playing checkers. You can go back to playing chess now.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'm screwing Mila Kunis tonight. You?

Reaction Score
After its contract extension with NBC, I do not think anyone can truly believe that there is any realistic chance that ND joins the ACC for football. If when that contract expires ND decides they want in, the ACC can easily add another full member and a non-football school to get to 18 in both sports. By that time conferences will probably have 16-18 schools anyways.

I don't know why people thought ND was going to join full time before the recent NBC extension. ND has always told everyone who was around since 1995 that football was never going to join any conference. People just kept refusing to believe them for some reason, I guess.

ND has no reason to join the ACC in full for football for any reason, ever, even in 2027 and beyond. They have everything they want right now, exactly the way that they wanted it.

Basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc...in a great conference with the ACC.

Hockey in a great conference in Hockey East (with NBC Sports agreeing to televise every ND home hockey game).

Playoff access, the NBC deal, Orange Bowl/Fiesta and other "BCS type" bowl access and schedule control over seven games a year as a football independent.

Five football games (will help with late Oct. and Nov. scheduling) and minor bowl access with the ACC. This affiliation will help more with Southeast exposure and recruiting.

Access to the discussed future ACC Network as a conference member. ND is in a secure conference now with the GOR.

Some people thought that the new playoff format and conference realignment would work against ND. They were wrong. ND is set up nicely.

Why change anything? The only thing possible is if the playoffs stay only at four teams and the rule becomes conference champs only. Does anyone think that likely?

Finally, the ACC likes the ND partnership. It is not going to be issuing any ultimatums to ND.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't know why people thought ND was going to join full time before the recent NBC extension. ND has always told everyone who was around since 1995 that football was never going to join any conference. People just kept refusing to believe them for some reason, I guess.

ND has no reason to join the ACC in full for football for any reason, ever, even in 2027 and beyond. They have everything they want right now, exactly the way that they wanted it.

Basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc...in a great conference with the ACC.

Hockey in a great conference in Hockey East (with NBC Sports agreeing to televise every ND home hockey game).

Playoff access, the NBC deal, Orange Bowl/Fiesta and other "BCS type" bowl access and schedule control over seven games a year as a football independent.

Five football games (will help with late Oct. and Nov. scheduling) and minor bowl access with the ACC. This affiliation will help more with Southeast exposure and recruiting.

Access to the discussed future ACC Network as a conference member. ND is in a secure conference now with the GOR.

Some people thought that the new playoff format and conference realignment would work against ND. They were wrong. ND is set up nicely.

Why change anything? The only thing possible is if the playoffs stay only at four teams and the rule becomes conference champs only. Does anyone think that likely?

Finally, the ACC likes the ND partnership. It is not going to be issuing any ultimatums to ND.
Thank god everything is going your way. I guess I will just watch the BCS championship game again to put ND in perspective.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And we've hit rock bottom.

Rock bottom would be if the Big 12 adds BYU and another and someone claims it's evidence that UConn knows they are in the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Rock bottom would be if the Big 12 adds BYU and another and someone claims it's evidence that UConn knows they are in the Big 10.

if anyone here doesn't fully expect the Big12 to look at schools other than UConn, they are out of their minds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if anyone here doesn't fully expect the Big12 to look at schools other than UConn, they are out of their minds.

Who said that. We have posters that would try to spin BYU and Cincinnati to the Big 12 as further evidence that UConn already has a super secret invite to the Big 10 waiting to be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom