How about a total commitment to press and trap for the first 5 minutes? | The Boneyard

How about a total commitment to press and trap for the first 5 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We seemed to start doing it in one game and just stopped(yet it also seemed to work) How about just get aggressive--put Brimah back and leave 4 guys up and get the game moving. We are always back peddling and playing to the other team's strengths. How about we be the aggressor? We have the athletes. If it works for the first 5 maybe we can pocket it to 5-7 minutes each half.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You need to make shots to press. You need to make shots to trap.

This team does not make shots.

Reaction Score
With Boat,Purvis,OC,and TS ,we actually have enough backcourt depth.
Plus you have a shot blocker as a safety valve. this team had potential as a pressing team.
I thought ,that might be an option going in especially to cover some offensive shortcomings.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

Your style is so grating.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first 2 posts. We should press, but how do we do that if we can't make a shot.

Reaction Score
I think if we have to figure things out for KO we are in a lot more trouble then just how we are playing this season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Your style is so grating.

I didn't realize I had a style. I just assumed it was naturally occurring idiocy.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us press for more than the last 5 minutes when the game is already a lost cause. Those saying we can't do it if we can't score don't see the benefits it would have for our offense.

Reaction Score

Complete opposite--teams who trap tend to get some easier scores. Its not a system that Id play like Arkansas or West Virginia but for short bursts --1 in each halve to get the game and team going

Reaction Score

Complete opposite--teams who trap tend to get some easier scores. Its not a system that Id play like Arkansas or West Virginia but for short bursts --1 in each halve to get the game and team going

Reaction Score

I think in order to consistently set up a press you have to make your shot beforehand so that you can get in position to trap while the other team inbounds. If you can't make a shot then you have to get back quickly once the other team rebounds to avoid a fast break.

PWS

Reaction Score
At this point, I am willing to try anything. But, I haven't seen us throw many trap presses out there even when we are behind double digits and desperate, so I don't think they practice it much if at all. Plus, another weakness is teams beating us down the floor. Gillen brought it up several times.

Reaction Score
Turnovers create lay ups. That's why high school teams that lack talent press. They create easy shots for themselves with it.

The problem is that a team that is prepared for the press and has good ball handlers will eat it alive and put you in a quick hole. I'm not sure that aside from Boat and TSam we have great players for a press, but those two are a good start. We certainly have some capable athletes, Hamilton and Purvis and all of our bigs are fleet of foot.

I'd try it, we are getting our butts kicked anyway.

Reaction Score
Maybe just jack up three for the first seven minutes. Make one and we be ahead of our usual pace.

Reaction Score
I think the coaching staff is and should be concerned that Brimah would be exposed if and when the opposing team broke our press. Yeah maybe a couple blocks and maybe a quick foul.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Put all five guys on the 3 line for the opponents first two possessions and go from there. Tired of starting games 0-6.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, he was right - you're not setting up a trap off a missed shot.

Reaction Score
No, he was right - you're not setting up a trap off a missed shot.

Were not missing 40 shots in a row to start any half for goodness sakes. ??????????

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Were not missing 40 shots in a row to start any half for goodness sakes. ??????????

D'Oh?

Against Cincinnati, it took us five minutes to score our first hoop. We had one bucket in the first five minutes of the second half.

Against Houston, we made one basket in the first seven minutes of the first half and then two shots in the first six minutes of the second half.

We're not pressing anyone.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first 2 posts. We should press, but how do we do that if we can't make a shot.
I'd love to see us press for more than the last 5 minutes when the game is already a lost cause. Those saying we can't do it if we can't score don't see the benefits it would have for our offense.
if the presses is good enough you only have to make that first non turnover basket
I think we could manage that.

Reaction Score
Can't make shots can't press. And oh by the way, good pressing teams are also very smart.

This is not a good team to be out there trapping and pressing, it would be a lay up line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom