Houston Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Houston Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Houston game:
  • Always good to come back right away with a win, any win, after a tough loss. It helps get rid of the bad taste of that loss.
  • For the longest time during the 1st qtr, I was wondering if the Huskies would pitch a shutout. I guess the 2 pts allowed is in fact an all-time record for UConn.
  • I like that the Huskies came out pressuring the Cougars all over the court. It’s a great way to create transition baskets and jump start an offense that only scored 58 pts the previous game.
  • Geno used several different combinations on the floor today, particularly in the 2nd & 4th qtrs. The ultimate goal is for the offense to continue to flow regardless of who’s in the game. The results were mixed today, but the more Geno uses different combinations, presumably the better UConn will execute regardless of who’s in the game.
  • Decent bounce back game for Liv. Of course it wasn’t against Baylor, but it’s always good to see a player heading back in the right direction after a tough game.
  • It’s awful being injured and unable to play. I really like Evina & Batouly on the bench in warmups, cheering for their teammates, fielding shots during shootaround and otherwise contributing to the team anyway they can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • Always good to come back right away with a win, any win, after a tough loss. It helps get rid of the bad taste of that loss.
  • For the longest time during the 1st qtr, I was wondering if the Huskies would pitch a shutout. I guess the 2 pts allowed is in fact an all-time record for UConn.
  • I like that the Huskies came out pressuring the Cougars all over the court. It’s a great way to create transition baskets and jump start an offense that only scored 58 pts the previous game.
  • Geno used several different combinations on the floor today, particularly in the 2nd & 4th qtrs. The ultimate goal is for the offense to continue to flow regardless of who’s the game. The results were mixed today, but the more Geno uses different combinations, presumably the better UConn will execute regardless of who’s in the game.
  • Decent bounce back game for Liv. Of course it wasn’t against Baylor, but it’s always good to see a player heading back in the right direction after a tough game.
  • It’s awful being injured and unable to play. I really like Evina & Batouly on the bench in warmups, cheering for their teammates, fielding shots during shootaround and otherwise contributing to the team anyway they can.
Both great team mates! We sure could have used Westbrook this year...but she’s going to be special next season and can’t wait to see her perform as a Husky!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UConn outscored Houston in the fourth quarter with mostly bench players in. And Adebayo looked more comfortable than I’ve seen her. Those are both huge positives. Adebayo even had a couple of nice assists.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Both great team mates! We sure could have used Westbrook this year...but she’s going to be special next season and can’t wait to see her perform as a Husky!!

We could have, but the two surgical procedures she's had on her knee suggests she may not have been able to play/perform at optimum efficiency, and trying to do so may have caused further damage. Things happen for a reason. It was probably a blessing in disguise (and in her best interest) that her waiver petition was denied.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Adebayo looked more energetic today and I think she could be pretty helpful as a good screener.

Geno in his post game was saying the only way for the bench players to improve is to play in the games and this was a good low pressure situation. I wonder if this signals a significant change in philosophy

Reaction Score
Quoting Geno: “Anna has been really playing well last few games. Aubrey”—pause, smile—“we have to get her more comfortable.” Core four played well, especially MW, CW, and CD. Somewhat of a recovery for Liv but, as in many of past games, she was going against a lesser player in more ways than one, 6’2” in this case. We still have to see her take on a big, powerful big. Girl needs to eat and get to weight room in off season.Aubrey passed up shots. Anna hit three but missed five but at least she was taking shots. She passed up one and Geno let her know. A couple of minutes later, Anna found herself in same place and drained a quick three. She was wide open several other times and ball didn’t go near her. Meg was great—so what else is new? Christyn just getting better and better. Same for Crystal. Too many good plays for these three to single out one. Aubrey was aggressive except when it comes to shooting. I assume she has no confidence in her three shot. Still very much carrying label of freshman with great potential.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn outscored Houston in the fourth quarter with mostly bench players in. And Adebayo looked more comfortable than I’ve seen her. Those are both huge positives. Adebayo even had a couple of nice assists.
And that brings up the required Geno bashing...I really think that Kyla should have played more in the 4th quarter. We were working our way to a 40 point win and there she was again on the bench :( :rolleyes: .

Seriously, all in all, an outing that should be good for us going forward. Everyone played, no one got hurt and even the bench stayed engaged. Looking forward to watching the replay tonight or tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Always nice to get win but based on the team we played, little can be learned. Poor team that may have the worst shooting guards YTD. I did learn:
-Adebayo is likely only 5'11" tops after seeing her stand next to other players
-Griffin in confidence funk. Needs to get mojo back, particularly on offense

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Adebayo looked more energetic today and I think she could be pretty helpful as a good screener.

Geno in his post game was saying the only way for the bench players to improve is to play in the games and this was a good low pressure situation. I wonder if this signals a significant change in philosophy
I like the attitude but I also think that he is probably looking for specific actions by them and hopefully they delivered and continue to.

Carnac

Reaction Score
  • Geno used several different combinations on the floor today, particularly in the 2nd & 4th qtrs. The ultimate goal is for the offense to continue to flow regardless of who’s in the game. The results were mixed today, but the more Geno uses different combinations, presumably the better UConn will execute regardless of who’s in the game.

UConn's next OOC game will be against #23 Tennessee in 12 days. Liv (and the rest of the team) should be working extra hard to have an "exceptional" game against a non-AAC RANKED opponent. UConn should really work hard to win THIS game for lots of reasons.

This will be the next game that can truly help Liv get back some of the confidence she lost Thursday. AAC teams can't help them do that. None of them are ranked. AAC type teams (mid-majors) ARE NOT the type of teams UConn will be matched up with come March. A loss to the reigning national champions is one thing, but a lost to (rebuilding) Tennessee would be quite another. I think that would be worse than the loss to Baylor.

In order to get the taste of a bad loss out of your mouth (and out of your consciousness), you've got to get a win over a quality RANKED opponent. They will have other opportunities, but the Lady Vols are the next "ranked" opponent on the schedule. They will provide the opportunity for UConn to show what if anything they've learned, and what adjustments they've made up to that point.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Always nice to get win but based on the team we played, little can be learned. Poor team that may have the worst shooting guards YTD. I did learn:
-Adebayo is likely only 5'11" tops after seeing her stand next to other players
-Griffin in confidence funk. Needs to get mojo back, particularly on offense

But Hopjim, you've got to start somewhere.........who better to start with than Houston, who just happened to be next up. As Oldude said, "Always good to come back right away with a win, any win, after a tough loss." My father always told me "Son, never look a gift horse in the mouth!! ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno with a really interesting take on Evelyn pre and post Christmas, indicating that she was down on herself prior to the Christmas break, and wasn't doing the kind of things in practice necessary to get on the court. We had all wondered why she wasn't playing, even in mop up time.

The good news appears to be that Evelyn has undergone a pretty dramatic attitude change for the better after Christmas and Geno has indicated to her that there is still time to get something out of this season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd gotten used to the bench losing quarter 4, sometimes pretty pathetically. Nice to see everyone getting minutes and continuing to outscore the opposition.

Hopefully THIS game is the beginning of a new direction and resolve for our girls. A humbling loss can do wonders for one's mental approach to the game. Many posters said and agreed that the Baylor game was going to show them (and the coaches) "exactly" where they were, it did!! A journey of a thousand miles begins with................................ Today was that first step.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A bounce-back game was important. Starting strong was especially so. The 25-2 score fit the bill nicely. We missed a couple of layups again in Q1, but overall it was a good 10 minutes.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Not a very exciting game, but agree that it was beneficial psychologically for the team.

Megan back in form. Christyn matching MW in scoring, and may be coming back to form with FT percentage -- started 1/2 but on last (2?) FT opportunities was 2/2; she was very good at FT last year, closer to 50% this year. On the other hand, was missing layups she usually makes (thus having to make 2 FTs instead of and 1s). CD led the team in steals and was a major contributor to the transition scoring. ONO a lot better than Baylor game, but will be interesting to see how she does against Aliyah Boston or even the Vol bigs; passing wasn't always on the mark. Kyla unable to score against a team much weaker than Baylor. Anna playing is improving but i still think her handle is shaky; vulnerable to steals from the other teams. But good passing & getting more confidence with the 3s (with a little encouragement from the coach!). Geno's 1 beat hesitation on Griffin probably said it all.

Overall team offense was of course a lot better than against Baylor. My impression the scoring on transition was impressive, but half court passing more often ended up with isolation play-- more dribbling than in UConn's best games. Defense started well but some lapses possibly due to UConn substitutions.

Reaction Score
Good point about those two injured players. I think we are all pleased toes coach use different combinations in a rout. Playing time has to help, no matter the opponent. Maybe Aubrey will even throw up a shot
one day ( aside from the lay-ups which she has mastered ). We really need her to emerge by sometime inMarch.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I counted four missed layups in the first half.
Ah, so I wasn't the only one counting. :D
On another note, Christyn continutes to look aggressive on offense, matador moments on defense. And in the half-court offense, I wish she wouldn't, first thing, put the ball on the floor, not until she's trying to get somewhere or get an angle for a pass.

Reaction Score
We could have, but the two surgical procedures she's had on her knee suggests she may not have been able to play/perform at optimum efficiency, and trying to do so may have caused further damage. Things happen for a reason. It was probably a blessing in disguise (and in her best interest) that her waiver petition was denied.
Didn't this game have a feeling of "Anti-Climatic". It's a shame they didn't have a more talented team to play after Baylor. Nothing of real value to have learned in the Houston game. Yawn---
TRUE had Westbrook been cleared to play, she couldn't or maybe limited that's not what is needed this year. When she is ready to hit the court running and scoring then put her in. Uconn needs a 4 th or 5th scoring player. When Aubrey is allowed to make a mistakes here and there she may be more valuable. If we look at the Core 4, mistakes are not limited to Frosh. Perfection is to searched for but never achieved.

Reaction Score
Ah, so I wasn't the only one counting. :D
On another note, Christyn continutes to look aggressive on offense, matador moments on defense. And in the half-court offense, I wish she wouldn't, first thing, put the ball on the floor, not until she's trying to get somewhere or get an angle for a pass.
Did you notice that Houston, as bad as they were, played Uconn even in the 2nd Qtr-- 19/19
Baylor Uconn won the first, lost the second, close the 3rd, blew out in the 4th.

Reaction Score
Good point about those two injured players. I think we are all pleased toes coach use different combinations in a rout. Playing time has to help, no matter the opponent. Maybe Aubrey will even throw up a shot
one day ( aside from the lay-ups which she has mastered ). We really need her to emerge by sometime inMarch.
Look at the box score---Houston played Uconn EVEN in the 2nd Quarter ---Aubrey made a layup.

Reaction Score

Doesn't Genos comment sound like some you've been reading on the BY for 6 years---learn in Practice, polish it in games. You can't learn much on the bench. Teach on the bench, put them back , in teach again. If they have talent athleticism they are worth the effort.

Reaction Score
I’m predicting Griffin gets that chance as being a productive sophomore on the court but unless Edwards is for real like you people say

Aubrey is a terrific wing @ 6’1”. UCONN needs better/bigger PF to take rebounding defensive pressure off ONO. Edwards is sturdy and 6’3” and plenty athletic. Megan is the starting wing until she moves on. Did you see Aubrey and Megan trying to guard Cox & Smith on Thursday night. They both tried! Right now Anna is ahead of Aubrey at that wing position also.

Griffin is also for real but that doesn't translate into freshman minutes. Edwards has the tools and attitude to be great but transitioning into UConn's system is tough on a freshman. And I thought that UConn did a pretty good job guarding Cox down low.

I counted four missed layups in the first half.

Williams had 3 of them. I also was counting. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because he was a small guard but Geno has never used physicality as a tool. Adebayo may be 5'11" but she would have been useful banging Cox around. A few hard non-shooting fouls can do a lot of good. Cox had a field day knocking ONO around and IMO that's why Geno took her out late. I'll wager that Tenn will do the same to her. Evelyn had success against the Vols last year and maybe Geno will let her bang in the Tenn game. Sometimes you just need to knock a few players to the floor (in a non-dirty way) to send a message.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom