Houston Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
A bounce-back game was important. Starting strong was especially so. The 25-2 score fit the bill nicely. We missed a couple of layups again in Q1, but overall it was a good 10 minutes.
We played a very mediocre team from an equally mediocre conference. How many conference games have we won without a loss. UConn is a good team but not a great team. Three key players provided the vast bulk of the scoring again. ONO played better but look at the competition level she played against. If she had played that way against Baylor, we might have won the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bounce back for LIV? When you almost drown in the ocean going back in a wading pond helps little. Go back in the ocean and try to survive. Any confidence found in the wading pond may disappear in the ocean.
Broadway, I didn’t realize you were such a philosopher. Unless UConn and Baylor meet again during the Big Dance, Liv won’t have another chance to matchup again with Cox, who I believe is the very best center in the country by far. Liv will get some tougher matchups vs Oregon & SC. But until those games come along, anything that helps restore her confidence is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Broadway, I didn’t realize you were such a philosopher. Unless UConn and Baylor meet again during the Big Dance, Liv won’t have another chance to matchup again with Cox, who I believe is the very best center in the country by far. Liv will get some tougher matchups vs Oregon & SC. But until those games come along, anything that helps restore her confidence is a good thing.
Cox is the best big in wcbb no doubt when she is healthy. Does so many things for the Baylor team. Her presence can not be under estimated.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Genos comment sound like some you've been reading on the BY for 6 years---learn in Practice, polish it in games. You can't learn much on the bench. Teach on the bench, put them back , in teach again. If they have talent athleticism they are worth the effort.

It was clear in the Baylor game that business as usual isn't enough. Irwin, Makurat, ONO and Griffin have to produce for UConn to get to the FF. They all have spent the season deferring to Dangerfield, Walker and Williams and it's apparent in the way they hesitate when given open shot opportunities.
I hope Geno uses these AAC games to take Williams and Walker out of games for 4 minutes so there is no one to defer to. Irwin and Makurat are both excellent 3 point shooters with enough height to shoot over players. There was a play today when someone drove and drew help, freeing Makurat in the corner. She nailed a three. Later Griffin was given the same opportunity but hesitated and then tried to drive. She needs to realize that her team needs her to take (and make) that shot to force opponents to guard her. There are times when degerring to an open team mate is the right thing but when you are the only one open for a shot you need to see the situation and be ready to shoot it before you even get the ball.

Reaction Score
UConn's next OOC game will be against #23 Tennessee in 12 days. Liv (and the rest of the team) should be working extra hard to have an "exceptional" game against a non-AAC RANKED opponent. UConn should really work hard to win THIS game for lots of reasons.

This will be the next game that can truly help Liv get back some of the confidence she lost Thursday. AAC teams can't help them do that. None of them are ranked. AAC type teams (mid-majors) ARE NOT the type of teams UConn will be matched up with come March. A loss to the reigning national champions is one thing, but a lost to (rebuilding) Tennessee would be quite another. I think that would be worse than the loss to Baylor.

In order to get the taste of a bad loss out of your mouth (and out of your consciousness), you've got to get a win over a quality RANKED opponent. They will have other opportunities, but the Lady Vols are the next "ranked" opponent on the schedule. They will provide the opportunity for UConn to show what if anything they've learned, and what adjustments they've made up to that point.

I predicted at the beginning of the year UConn would be a 2 or 3 seed. A lot will depend on the Tenn. game. A win and I think they're on track for a favorable 2-seed. A loss would be bad, and put them at a 3-seed. I just dont see this UConn team as a 1-seed. They is just not enough talent, depth, and size - and I dont see how the team gets much better from here. A low ceiling.

Reaction Score
And that brings up the required Geno bashing...I really think that Kyla should have played more in the 4th quarter. We were working our way to a 40 point win and there she was again on the bench :( :rolleyes: .

Seriously, all in all, an outing that should be good for us going forward. Everyone played, no one got hurt and even the bench stayed engaged. Looking forward to watching the replay tonight or tomorrow.
Kyla was on the bench so that Makurat and Griffin could get more minutes. Would you sub her in for a guard?! Position still matters. She is, after all, one of the starters.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kyla was on the bench so that Makurat and Griffin could get more minutes. Would you sub her in for a guard?! Position still matters. She is, after all, one of the starters.
One word about the first part of my post: sarcasm

Reaction Score
Did you notice that Houston, as bad as they were, played Uconn even in the 2nd Qtr-- 19/19
Baylor Uconn won the first, lost the second, close the 3rd, blew out in the 4th.
Yes. That is pretty disgraceful. Even our" A" team played with little consistency. They are perfect for 10 minutes, and then barely average for the next 10. I would like to see Gene go " off the charts." Specifically, play the bench players for most of the AAC games...win or lose. Who cares about some meaningless
record ( e.g. Undefeated in the AAC)? If The NFL champions beat a high school team 1 million times straight...is that a meaningful accomplishment? Let our starters play the first quarter, and 50% of the third quarter. That's it. Win or lose. Make it a real " development "program. And I haven't even had a cocktail yet. Seriously when we play teams like Houston , and it is 25-2 at the end of the first quarter, what do we learn? Who can watch?

Reaction Score
I think that Griffin may be the most talented player on the team- bar none. She has displayed moments of dazzling brilliance. She may lack confidence, and she certainly was awkward several times (two travels?). But on the other hand, she's the most exciting player on the team. And often she is the most aggressive player on the team as well.

Wonder whether she'll blossom into a full-fledged first team All American next year? She could.

Reaction Score
The stats on Griffin are revealing. In 18 minutes, she pulled down 5 offensive rebounds. So she is in there fighting for the ball. 5 points and 7 rebounds in total, tying for the team lead (and as many as 6'5" ONO in virtually the same minutes on the court). But then again, she committed 4 turnovers. That's the awkward part.

Reaction Score
I think that Griffin may be the most talented player on the team- bar none. She has displayed moments of dazzling brilliance. She may lack confidence, and she certainly was awkward several times (two travels?). But on the other hand, she's the most exciting player on the team. And often she is the most aggressive player on the team as well.

Wonder whether she'll blossom into a full-fledged first team All American next year? She could.
Seriously? Meg and Christyn are miles better and more exciting because they can actually make the plays. Rushing in when there are better options isn’t aggressive. I think with Aubrey people see the player they want to see. With work, study and practice, she can contribute, perhaps even approach Christyn but...

Reaction Score

don't see it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Griffin is also for real but that doesn't translate into freshman minutes. Edwards has the tools and attitude to be great but transitioning into UConn's system is tough on a freshman. And I thought that UConn did a pretty good job guarding Cox down low.
Edwards spent time with the Canadian senior national team which will make her better prepared than the Typical US HS recruit. Cox did not spend much time down low on offense, it was Smith that UCONN had no answer for down low during the last 4 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The stats on Griffin are revealing. In 18 minutes, she pulled down 5 offensive rebounds. So she is in there fighting for the ball. 5 points and 7 rebounds in total, tying for the team lead (and as many as 6'5" ONO in virtually the same minutes on the court). But then again, she committed 4 turnovers. That's the awkward part.

Aubrey has the same problem as ONO. She doesnt disguise or protect the ball very well. On her shots, she starts low so it can easily be blocked or stripped. I would hope these can be fixed with coaching, but I havent seen an improvement yet.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has the same problem as ONO. She doesnt disguise or protect the ball very well. On her shots, she starts low so it can easily be blocked or stripped. I would hope these can be fixed with coaching, but I havent seen an improvement yet.

Agree but, man, she shows some incredible potential at times.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Equally revealing when watching Aubrey is that she does not know the UCONN offense.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the game. Even though the competition wasn’t Top 25 the team looked
much more crisp.......I bet they wished they had the Baylor game back. At least the 4th
quarter. Real nice to see Anna make the threes. Wish she would drive to the basket like we saw in the exhibition games.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Equally revealing when watching Aubrey is that she does not know the UCONN offense.
True, like most freshmen at the first half of their freshman season at UConn. Gabby, Collier, CD and so many more took awhile to learn the offense. I believe all the incoming freshmen will have their troubles as well.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just watched the game for the first time. In the waning minutes of the 4th, Meghan Culmo mentioned that Houston had lost their leading scorer due to [I think she said} mental illness. Did I hear right? Seems like an odd thing to say... anyone know the back story?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Liked what I saw against Houston . Mak shooting the treys and driving opening up the the outside shot. Griff doing what she does. Kyla needs to shoot more. Liv making moves to the basket. Yeah Houston isnt a top team but the point is we are making changes. We need to make layups and that means not rushing them. Taking a second to get set and shoot them. Mak Griff and Kyla must shoot the ball more because they can score. Over the next two weeks I think we see alot of that. Mak and Kyla when they get hot can lite it up. Both are very good 3 pt shooters. I cant see us losing to Tenn. Tenn finds ways to lose big games and this one is in CT. Live must take the ball strong to the basket as does Griff and everybody else and draw fouls. Too many times we seemed afraid when we got close to the basket because of Baylors height. Take it at em and get fouled.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just watched the game for the first time. In the waning minutes of the 4th, Meghan Culmo mentioned that Houston had lost their leading scorer due to [I think she said} mental illness. Did I hear right? Seems like an odd thing to say... anyone know the back story?
The player in question is Jasmyne Harris. Last season she played the first half vs UConn and then the coach sat her down for the 2nd half. Subsequently, she was suspended for the remainder of the season while she supposedly dealt with some “personal issues.”

Harris was allowed back on the team this year after going through counseling, completing community service projects along with several other requirements established by Coach Hughey. She started the first 5 games for Houston and was their leading scorer. But once again, she was suspended from the team, without comment from the University.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom