Houston football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston's upside is ridiculously good. Who knows what conference they'll end up in. But their upside is ridiculously good. Good enough to have been acknowledged by the SEC quite a while back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look at the schools. They are different schools. It makes a big difference.

It's a commuter school. No comparison. Houston will never be a big player, because it just isn't an appealing school in the general sense. Emeka Okafor, with his focus on academics, might have considered Rice, but never Houston.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder what the ACC was doing inviting Cuse, Pitt, BC ahead of Rutgers.

Delaney and the B1G are Bigtime Businessmen with Excel spreadsheets and Strategic Analysis. Swofford is a swashbuckling good time swinger like the garish Orange jacketed Bowl reps. One looks at the world in terms of advancing in hardcore business; the other is the Country Club gang.

Of course, Rutgers is more valuable than Syracuse. Of course, UConn has a far better potential than Pitt or BC. It's the ACC, though, that played like the Augusta National committee on entrance and didn't want to bring in the unwashed.

Reaction Score
"Gee gosh darn dag gum I don't think we need to expand"

I don't mean to throw down my Professional credentials ... but, here's a real life lesson in markets:

There are times in Finance that the scope of "what-can-get-done" is hugely broad (thinking 2005-2007). Rutgers put together a paper-clips & staple plan ... and they will get rewarded. Rentschler, from the lessons of Public Finance mavens, is far better structured; and could easily have expanded at very very very low longterm rates. We were selling 38,000 easy; but, many still want waiting lists on season tickets (is this not your New England curmudgeon attitude>?). If ... we were the robust Football Program - with a much stronger Corporate base & more astute marketing - I think we would be in. While Frank-the-Tank can say we are a hair's difference from Louisville football, my closer view (as I have watched since 1996 ... after 15 years of UCLA season tickets) is that we are not. We could be. But, we are not.

Reaction Score
New Houston stadium: "Expansion to 60K whenever"
Whenever, as in as soon as Houston proves it can consistently fill 40K seats, access financing to fund an incremental 20K seats, an open-ended whenever into infinity, etc.?

Rentschler's architects, Ellerbe Becket, and Capital Region Development Authority plans:

"The Stadium was designed to meet or exceed NCAA Division 1-A requirements for football, and can also accommodate other grass-surface events such as soccer, rugby and lacrosse. Total stadium capacity is 40,642. The Stadium has been designed with expansion capacity for 50,000 seats."

Reaction Score
Just a lot of stupidity and jealousy in this post.

You have nothing. Football for a half decade and a good Demographic market. 7 years ago, like UMass, your Faculty Senate wanted to shut down football. You have not won in other sports with any real signs of excellence.

We have a SUPERIOR Athletic Program in most every way. Give us a solid decade, we'd be better in Football. Why? Because we do everything better than Rutgers. We are just new to this level of Football.

Reaction Score
It's a commuter school. No comparison. Houston will never be a big player, because it just isn't an appealing school in the general sense.

A commuter school with an endowment bigger than UCONN's, a commuter school much like Louisville

Reaction Score
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Houston football. They have quite an offense in which our defense struggles against think (W. Michigan). Look forward to it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
A commuter school with an endowment bigger than UCONN's, a commuter school much like Louisville
Fans of other schools in Texas refer to it as Cougar High. It has no contiguous campus and no admission standards to speak of.

If a school like that is considered more worthy of a slot in the Big Time than us, then there is truly no hope.

Reaction Score
Fans of other schools in Texas refer to it as Cougar High. It has no contiguous campus and no admission standards to speak of.

If a school like that is considered more worthy of a slot in the Big Time than us, then there is truly no hope.

It has some good grad programs that I know of, and I'm pretty sure the campus is contiguous. In fact, it's an enclave in a not so nice neighborhood. If it were non-contiguous, they'd be asking for trouble. But Houston is weird like that. The bad neighborhood is only a few football fields long, and then on the other side, you're right near Rice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Houston and SMU in FB aren't the problem. Neither are UH and SMU is basketball the problem. With Cincy and Uconn, I don't even mind Usf and Ucf in FB and I'll stomach them in BB. Those six schools are fine to start BCS Conference #6. I'll even buy Navy as FB if you are short members.

It's everything and everybody else that sucks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Houston and SMU in FB aren't the problem. Neither are UH and SMU is basketball the problem. With Cincy and Uconn, I don't even mind Usf and Ucf in FB and I'll stomach them in BB. Those six schools are fine to start BCS Conference #6. I'll even buy Navy as FB if you are short members.

It's everything and everybody else that sucks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

East Carolina in football is at least as good as the schools you named, and Cincy is good too. So, what are the complaints? ECU and Tulane in basketball, Tulane and Memphis in football.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
uh, smu, usf, ucf and ecu are ok in football if u like living a cusa life style. no matter how ok they may look, they are not michigan, psu and rutgers or clemson, unc and uva. if u like anything about the nbe then u are ok with the cusa lifestyle.

Reaction Score
uh, smu, usf, ucf and ecu are ok in football if u like living a cusa life style. no matter how ok they may look, they are not michigan, psu and rutgers or clemson, unc and uva. if u like anything about the nbe then u are ok with the cusa lifestyle.

Yes, and we were never in a conference with the cream of B1G schools, so the comparison is with BE schools. Why would you compare what we're going into with games against the top teams in the country?

Reaction Score
It has some good grad programs that I know of, and I'm pretty sure the campus is contiguous. In fact, it's an enclave in a not so nice neighborhood. If it were non-contiguous, they'd be asking for trouble. But Houston is weird like that. The bad neighborhood is only a few football fields long, and then on the other side, you're right near Rice.

I have ownership in some apartments near the MD Anderson Hospital ... and as the crow flies, the campus is not far. It's not that bad (for Houston).

Reaction Score
funny, as soon as that stadium goes up, uh passes us. they have 60k plans not to mention other things. we dont have 60k plans on paper for the media to chat about...
Dan engineers can easily expand the rent to 60000. Just have to fun a means o pay for it. But I don't see it as a huge issue. Don't underestimate engineers. If we wanted to make the tits on the Statue of Liberty bigger it could be done

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan engineers can easily expand the rent to 60000. Just have to fun a means o pay for it. But I don't see it as a huge issue. Don't underestimate engineers. If we wanted to make the tits on the Statue of Liberty bigger it could be done

the only thing im interested in about the SoL is if engineers can put our first national ship trophy in her arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom