Houston football | The Boneyard

Houston football

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It really does seem like a lot of the new schools are really committed to building up their programs.

In retrospect, the NBE with Boise State, Ville, Rutgers and the C-7 would have been pretty damn good. Remember at a point in time, we were complaining about that league? It practically seems like the B1G compared to where we are now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
funny, as soon as that stadium goes up, uh passes us. they have 60k plans not to mention other things. we dont have 60k plans on paper for the media to chat about...

Reaction Score
TThey must be excited about that two mil a year from the new big east TV contract.

Reaction Score
Our press release said the same thing when the rent was built. The footings are in place yada yada yada.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Our press release said the same thing when the rent was built. The footings are in place yada yada yada.

yes put plans out. those footing are for 50k. thats not going to do it. u either go big ro dont. 55-60k. they need to just pay a art teacher some $ on campus aand do a drawing and release it. national media/perception.

Reaction Score
funny, as soon as that stadium goes up, uh passes us. they have 60k plans not to mention other things. we dont have 60k plans on paper for the media to chat about...

We do have 100k plans though.

Reaction Score
It really does seem like a lot of the new schools are really committed to building up their programs.

In retrospect, the NBE with Boise State, Ville, Rutgers and the C-7 would have been pretty damn good. Remember at a point in time, we were complaining about that league? It practically seems like the B1G compared to where we are now.

We actually thought it could not get worse. And it did.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We do have 100k plans though.

show me th drawing and simply just say, were looking into expansion here is what this would look like...media feed me

Reaction Score
show me th drawing and simply just say, were looking into expansion here is what this would look like...media feed me

Dan, I hear you. It would give us something positive to discuss, but from a political standpoint it's not a good time to have this in the media. Then the discussion will start regarding the cost, and where that money for the expansion will come from etc... When the time is right for a B1G conference move, its game on bcuz it's essentially a done deal at that point.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Here's the problem.

"You had the drawings...where are you on fundraising?"
"We haven't started."
"When is your target date?"
"We don't know."

Repeat for a decade.

Reaction Score
Don't you love how loosely the term "plan" is used.

Someone, somewhere might have a plan for a 60,000 seat on campus stadium. That doesn't constitute a plan.

Also, just because the Rent is expandable to a certain number, doesn't mean you have a plan. It's just an option that we purchased when the stadium was designed. It's just something that would make a future plan more feasible.

Here's the problem.

"We haven't started."
"We don't know."

Repeat for a decade.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's the problem.

"We haven't started."
"We don't know."

Repeat for a decade.

Um, do you think UConn should be fundraising to add seats to a stadium they don't own?

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not looking for an expansion plan for The Rent now. What I am interested in seeing is the final drawings from the Master Architectural firm Pres Herbst hired several months ago to redesign the campus. If THAT has a new Stadium on it, then things could get interesting....... Either way, based on the Gov's support of the recent investment in Uconn's future to the tune of $2B, I really don't think an adequate stadium project would take much to get approved if a conf invite was in the balance.....

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
A new stadium would require selling out the Rent for a few years and absorbing some ticket price increases as well as increased seat donations and sold out corporate boxes. Then a Rent expansion would be proposed to 50,000 plus 2000 luxury seats or boxes plus site renovations plus noise abatement. Maybe in 2040 they would look at a new facility. None of which will happen.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
A new stadium would require selling out the Rent for a few years and absorbing some ticket price increases as well as increased seat donations and sold out corporate boxes. Then a Rent expansion would be proposed to 50,000 plus 2000 luxury seats or boxes plus site renovations plus noise abatement. Maybe in 2040 they would look at a new facility. None of which will happen.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Houston Cougar basketball is the cautionary tale I worry about. Legendary coach retires, they manage to hang on to competitiveness for a few years, then they are dumped out of a major conference. Competent successor to legend decides he doesn't want to go down with the ship in conference Siberia, bolts for a mid-major.

Program has sucked ever since despite a tremendous local talent base. Do you think Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor and Hasheem Thabeet all come to UConn if Houston was still relevant? Houston Cougar basketball may be UConn's future.

Reaction Score
Houston Cougar basketball is the cautionary tale I worry about. Legendary coach retires, they manage to hang on to competitiveness for a few years, then they are dumped out of a major conference. Competent successor to legend decides he doesn't want to go down with the ship in conference Siberia, bolts for a mid-major.

Program has sucked ever since despite a tremendous local talent base. Do you think Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor and Hasheem Thabeet all come to UConn if Houston was still relevant? Houston Cougar basketball may be UConn's future.

Look at the schools. They are different schools. It makes a big difference.

Reaction Score

Another main difference: they have no title, and they were only good for a short window.

UConn was very good for a quarter of a century.

Reaction Score
Another main difference: they have no title, and they were only good for a short window.

UConn was very good for a quarter of a century.

I think Houston was pretty good up until then, Guy Lewis did have a lot of wins, and he played Grandpa on the Munsters.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem.

"We haven't started."
"We don't know."

Repeat for a decade.

Jeff Hathaway - the Caretaker AD

Reaction Score
We had the Financing Structure in place - better than Rutgers & Louisville - to expand while the Capital Markets were booming in 2007. The Expansion was symbolic & we didn't do it. That, my friends, is a neon sign that we weren't seeing the changing tide. You can disagree on impact; it's not debatable that the Rutgers AD & the Louisville AD put in their application for upgrade right there.

Reaction Score
We had the Financing Structure in place - better than Rutgers & Louisville - to expand while the Capital Markets were booming in 2007. The Expansion was symbolic & we didn't do it. That, my friends, is a neon sign that we weren't seeing the changing tide. You can disagree on impact; it's not debatable that the Rutgers AD & the Louisville AD put in their application for upgrade right there.

You have to wonder what the ACC was doing inviting Cuse, Pitt, BC ahead of Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom