Hot Stove: Maryland to B1G? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hot Stove: Maryland to B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
18 is an odd number, they'd go to 16 if anything, no need to go up to 18 and have odd-numbered divisions. Our football program simply is just not good enough to get in there. Yes, we have the market share stuff and all of that, but plain and simple, we're still too new, we have virtually no track record in football, we have not shown consistent fan support (read: no one cares to watch us on TV - mostly what B1G cares about), our stadium is too small and there's not enough demand to expand it, we're not a realistic candidate for the B1G. I'd love to be wrong, but it's simply not the case. If we're going anywhere, it's likely the ACC.

Football is a negative in this regard. But, we have the most valuable womens hoops team, one that has elevated those around it (ND in particular), and which would be a hit on the BTN. Our men's hoops are the equal of any in the B1G. Our hockey program would be a positive. Our soccer programs, mostly mens, would be a positive. Indiana could use a rival. In short, while we are sub par at football, from a BTN standpoint we are ideal in that we excel in the sports that it broadcasts, and we provide the BTN with access to NYC. I don't think it will happen, but if it does, that's going to be a big part of the reason. Arguably UConn is more valuable to the B1G than it is to any other league.

Reaction Score
http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resources/local-tv-market-sizes-dma.html

The addition of UCONN, UVA, RU and UMD would add the (1) NYC, (4) Philly, (8) DC, (27) Baltimore, (30) Hartford,(44) Norfolk,(57) Richmond and (60) Roanoke markets to the BTN. According to 2011 that would mean an additional 16,483,020 television sets.

The current BIG has the (3) Chicago,(11) Detroit, (15) Minneapolis/STP, (18) Cleveland,(23) Pitt, (26) Indy, (32) Columbus, (34) Milwaukee,(35) Cinci, (39) Grand Rapis, (43) Harrisburg,(54) Wilkes-Scranton, (69) Green Bay,(72) Des Moine, (85) Madison, and (90) Cedar Rapids markets. The total house hold viewers for these markets is 16,136,990.

If my math is correct the B1G would double there tv market by adding the 4 teams Tuxedo Yoda mentioned.

If you factor in Uconn’s impact in the Springfield region and possibly Boston and Providence you are talking a lot more tvs.

Reaction Score
http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resources/local-tv-market-sizes-dma.html

The addition of UCONN, UVA, RU and UMD would add the (1) NYC, (4) Philly, (8) DC, (27) Baltimore, (30) Hartford,(44) Norfolk,(57) Richmond and (60) Roanoke markets to the BTN. According to 2011 that would mean an additional 16,483,020 television sets.

The current BIG has the (3) Chicago,(11) Detroit, (15) Minneapolis/STP, (18) Cleveland,(23) Pitt, (26) Indy, (32) Columbus, (34) Milwaukee,(35) Cinci, (39) Grand Rapis, (43) Harrisburg,(54) Wilkes-Scranton, (69) Green Bay,(72) Des Moine, (85) Madison, and (90) Cedar Rapids markets. The total house hold viewers for these markets is 16,136,990.

If my math is correct the B1G would double there tv market by adding the 4 teams Tuxedo Yoda mentioned.

If you factor in Uconn’s impact in the Springfield region and possibly Boston and Providence you are talking a lot more tvs.
The problem here is that's where we're located, it doesn't necessarily mean those TVs are going to tune in. The thing that's been holding us back is we haven't proven we can get those tv sets to tune in to our football games.

Reaction Score
The problem here is that's where we're located, it doesn't necessarily mean those TVs are going to tune in. The thing that's been holding us back is we haven't proven we can get those tv sets to tune in to our football games.
I don't disagree. I'm only showing the potential remains there. A large number of Maryland doesn't tune in for umd either remember.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-adding the 6 i talk about double the big10 tv wise which is unreal to think
-its the best bball conf ever and with that many top tier and middle level programs almost every game is then a tv worthy game which means $$ in the winter tier 2 and 3 wise its easy to round robin 17 with a cross game for 18. also with chi/ny/dc all in grabs you can reall do something special with the tney for bball.
-the add of those 6 schools give u enough puck league wise, a great baseball league out of nowhere, a great soccer league etc also fwiw not that this plays any role...
-in fball it allows 2 9 team divisions or 8 games in division with a cross for #9 if the league wants. thats a lot of good inventory. u still have 3 or 4 ooc games per team which is plenty. have the conf ship game be a home team thing with rankings.
-create a big friday or monday or something for fball and bball with espn. u have enough inventory to do soething exclusive which will =$$

the ppl running the b10 know whats up. get it done fellas.

Reaction Score

True. However, I think uconn vs tosu, uconn vs mich or uconn vs psu would get people to tune in a lot more than uconn vs insert nnbe team here.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what are the top 10 watched teams in nyc?
nd
ruty-uconn-cuse
mich-psu-tosu
who else?

point is if u put all these big publics and nd in the same conf and build something and have all these teams playing local games, you have something nyc has nevber seen before and thats how u turn the city into a b10 city over night.

Reaction Score
what are the top 10 watched teams in nyc?
nd
ruty-uconn-cuse
mich-psu-tosu
who else?

point is if u put all these big publics and nd in the same conf and build something and have all these teams playing local games, you have something nyc has nevber seen before and thats how u turn the city into a b10 city over night.

dook and unc are in that mix as well

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i was talking more in terms of basketball. I didn't realize we were talking football specific until you posted those stats

my bad. its 90% fball for any expansion issue so i focus on it...:D

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
monday md to b10 now being floated. so most likely it will happen friday night. :)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Have you not learned anything!?

It will happen in 20 ****ing minutes.

small things happen in 20 minutes. big things happen on friday nights (cuse/pitt, ad etc...).

have u not learned anything?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
monday md to b10 now being floated. so most likely it will happen friday night. :)

Right about when we'll be wrapping up anothr Acc spanking in the USVI....bring it on.

In unrelated news, Dan, I thought you said a few weeks back you were going to rotate your avatar to different hot chicks, or something to that affect. You're on a roll with this statistical analysis, so no better time than the present...

Reaction Score
I've never bought into this data. What is it basing its results on again? Rutgers is nowhere near as popular as ND in NYC market. This is not based on eyeballs tuning in.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think those numbers were taken from a poll that was run by a NY paper a few years ago, of course RU fans jumped on it. You are right on about the eyeballs.

Reaction Score
Could you imagine our new recruiting rankings on Rivals, Scout and 24/7 in we go B1G. All our 2* players magically become 3*, the 3*'s become 4*'s and the one 4* star recruit we get every couple of years becomes a top 50 5***** .

Reaction Score
UConn football has yet to have the season that captures Connecticut
Like the dream season in Basketball.
The Fiesta Bowl team although good was written off after the first few games.
They kind of snuck in at the end under much negative media scutiny.
The ball is in Uconn's court to show that you want to bring Connecticut back to big time football.
When that happens the buzz will overlap into NYC.
Gino's team owns NY and Uconn men's basketball has been accepted as a local team.
especially with NYC kids like Kemba.

Unfortunaly for us the school spent any football capital it had with a bad hire.
Bad mostly in the sense that it said we didn't really want to be big time.
What school serious about upgrading hires an unemployed coach fired from a school that wasn't competitive?
If this had not happened who knows where would be today.
I thought from day one that if the B1G takes us and Rutgers that would sew up the entire NE section of the US from Chicago NY. If the their presidents don't see this than are best option is to make the NBE the best football conference it can be.
When no one in the NE is watching the SEC or any other exclusive regional conference maybe they will figure it out Connecticut as the only legitimate football team in New England will have fans from Maine to NYC.
Both these markets are currently vast voids
I have to laugh at the Super Conference limited to certain regions as they currently exist.
The long term succuss of Football will be by inclusion not exclusion.
At some level the media genius's probably understand this.

Reaction Score
Unfortunaly for us the school spent any football capital it had with a bad hire.
What school serious about upgrading hires an unemployed coach fired from a school that wasn't competitive?

Factual point of reference - Pasqualoni was NOT unemployed when hired by UConn. He was on the staff of the Dallas Cowboys from the time he was out of Syracuse till he came to Storrs. His 2004 Syracuse team tied for the Big East title (uncompetitive??).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Factual point of reference - Pasqualoni was NOT unemployed when hired by UConn. He was on the staff of the Dallas Cowboys from the time he was out of Syracuse till he came to Storrs. His 2004 Syracuse team tied for the Big East title (uncompetitive??).
For the record, while PP was employed by the Cowboys when JH interviewed him for the UConn job, he bounced around between the Cowboys and Dolphins coaching staffs after Cuse gave him the boot.

It also can be argued that PP was on his way to the unemployment line as during the time that he was being hire by UConn, the Cowboys were bringing Rob Ryan in to run their defense. I believe the best that PP could have hoped for (if the UConn job didn't open up) would have been Wade Phillips being both willing and able to add him to the staff at Houston.

Reaction Score
UConn football has yet to have the season that captures Connecticut
Like the dream season in Basketball.
The Fiesta Bowl team although good was written off after the first few games.
They kind of snuck in at the end under much negative media scutiny.
The ball is in Uconn's court to show that you want to bring Connecticut back to big time football.
When that happens the buzz will overlap into NYC.
Gino's team owns NY and Uconn men's basketball has been accepted as a local team.
especially with NYC kids like Kemba.

If this had not happened who knows where would be today.
I thought from day one that if the B1G takes us and Rutgers that would sew up the entire NE section of the US from Chicago NY. If the their presidents don't see this than are best option is to make the NBE the best football conference it can be.
When no one in the NE is watching the SEC or any other exclusive regional conference maybe they will figure it out Connecticut as the only legitimate football team in New England will have fans from Maine to NYC.
Both these markets are currently vast voids
I have to laugh at the Super Conference limited to certain regions as they currently exist.
The long term succuss of Football will be by inclusion not exclusion.
At some level the media genius's probably understand this.
Agree with the sentiment but pp came from the nfl directly. He wasn't unemployed ( cowboys)... I even recall a message from Jerry thanking him and wishing him well. He didn't leave the cowboys on bad terms. Now some might say they didn't appear to try and get him to stay either, but that might not be a fair observation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've never bought into this data. What is it basing its results on again? Rutgers is nowhere near as popular as ND in NYC market. This is not based on eyeballs tuning in.
North Jersey is in the NYC DMA and is very densely populated. RU's NYC numbers are pumped up by NJ delivering NJ. Still, households are households.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom