Hot seat watch: Sherri Coale | The Boneyard

Hot seat watch: Sherri Coale

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
All eyes are on Holly Warlick right now, but over the last 7 or so years, I think Sherri Coale beats out Warlick as the most underachieving coach in women's basketball. No, she doesn't have a roster full of McDonald's All Americans like Holly, but Coale is one of the highest paid coaches in the nation at over $1.1 million per year, and everything about her results has been underwhelming. Recruiting is poor, NCAA results are mediocre and her program appears to be a bottom feeder in a weak Big 12 this year.

Look at the steady decline over the last decade:
2009: 32-5 record, #1 seed in NCAA, Final Four Appearance
2010: 27-11 record, #3 seed in NCAA, Final Four Appearance
2011: 23-12 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Sweet 16 appearance
2012: 21-13 record, #6 seed in NCAA, 2nd Round appearance (lost at home in tournament)
2013: 23-11 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Sweet 16 appearance (lost at home in tournament)
2014: 18-15 record, #10 seed in NCAA, Lost in 1st Round
2015: 21-12 record, #5 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd Round
2016: 22-11 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd Round
2017: 23-10 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd round
2018: 18-15 record, #12 seed in NCAA, Lost in 1st round
2019: 5-11 record, 1-4 in Big 12 so far

Barring a very unexpected turnaround, Oklahoma will completely miss postseason play for the first time since 1999. In the 2000s, Oklahoma was a steady top 10 program including a couple of years where they were a strong title contender. She recruited very well for a few years, landing the Paris Twins, Amanda Thompson and Danielle Robinson among others over a 3-4 year period. Since then, the program has steadily declined into irrelevance, yet Coale remains highly regarded and and is one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Will the administration let her fight through this hard time and keep shelling out or will she be shown the door this year (or next) unless the program appears to be on the upswing?

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Most of the posters on the OU forum are toasting Sherri Coale. They are also starting to argue among themselves and feel talent will leave at the end of the season.

At Iowa State - OUHoops

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The first time I recall Sherri Coale was in 2002. She had a great player named Stacy Dales, and they played UConn for the title. Dales fouled out trying to defend Di , and UConn went on to take the Championship. I think Dales is now an NFL reporter. She was a great basketball player, but she met her match that day! :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It should be noted that Oklahoma is extremely young this season. Nearly all of their significant contributors are freshmen or sophomores. They've also been bit by injuries. Penzo and Llanusa, two of their most experienced returning players, have both missed a lot of time.

Today Shaina Pellington didn't start and played only 8 minutes off the bench. So apparently she's not injured. Coach's decision? I'm not sure what's up with that.

There's no doubt Oklahoma has been in decline since the Paris era, and they've had multiple key players transfer out in recent years (Nancy Mulkey and Chelsea Dungee come to mind).

Does anyone know when Sherri's current contract runs out?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@Plebe sherri’s contract was extended in 2016
To 2021 at the $1.1 mil. Ironically enough at that same time Patti Gasso was also given a minor raise to get final salary of $481,499 thru 2021 as well. She then won 2 more titles and was extended to 2024 at $925,000 per year.

I have written about Coale earlier this year noting her teams haven’t been ranked in the top 25 in years now. Attendance has been mediocre at best anyway and recruiting has fallen off a cliff. But as my fine colleague has noted, this team is young so her current contract will play out AND IF this team does well in the Big12 or goes deep in an NCAA tournament, then she MIGHT get extended. Short of that, I think OU moves on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok plays at TCU tonight on FS1 9PM.

For those who like to pull wings off flies.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that every single OU WBB scholarship has been endowed since 2007, something made possible by the success of Sherri Coale and her popularity in the community. Just one more factor for the school to consider if they are thinking of ending the Sherri Coale coaching era. Also, I have followed the Big 12 since it began in 1996. Generally, a women's basketball program, if it has changed coaches, has had to do so at least once again to achieve any measure of success. The only partial exception I can think of is Nebraska. Angela Beck coached only one season in the Big 12. Her successor Paul Sanderford made the NCAA tournament in the first 3 of this 5 seasons. He was followed by Connie Yori whose Big 12 results were mediocre.

Reaction Score
All eyes are on Holly Warlick right now, but over the last 7 or so years, I think Sherri Coale beats out Warlick as the most underachieving coach in women's basketball. No, she doesn't have a roster full of McDonald's All Americans like Holly, but Coale is one of the highest paid coaches in the nation at over $1.1 million per year, and everything about her results has been underwhelming. Recruiting is poor, NCAA results are mediocre and her program appears to be a bottom feeder in a weak Big 12 this year.

Look at the steady decline over the last decade:
2009: 32-5 record, #1 seed in NCAA, Final Four Appearance
2010: 27-11 record, #3 seed in NCAA, Final Four Appearance
2011: 23-12 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Sweet 16 appearance
2012: 21-13 record, #6 seed in NCAA, 2nd Round appearance (lost at home in tournament)
2013: 23-11 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Sweet 16 appearance (lost at home in tournament)
2014: 18-15 record, #10 seed in NCAA, Lost in 1st Round
2015: 21-12 record, #5 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd Round
2016: 22-11 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd Round
2017: 23-10 record, #6 seed in NCAA, Lost in 2nd round
2018: 18-15 record, #12 seed in NCAA, Lost in 1st round
2019: 5-11 record, 1-4 in Big 12 so far

Barring a very unexpected turnaround, Oklahoma will completely miss postseason play for the first time since 1999. In the 2000s, Oklahoma was a steady top 10 program including a couple of years where they were a strong title contender. She recruited very well for a few years, landing the Paris Twins, Amanda Thompson and Danielle Robinson among others over a 3-4 year period. Since then, the program has steadily declined into irrelevance, yet Coale remains highly regarded and and is one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Will the administration let her fight through this hard time and keep shelling out or will she be shown the door this year (or next) unless the program appears to be on the upswing?
Keep in mind that every single OU WBB scholarship has been endowed since 2007, something made possible by the success of Sherri Coale and her popularity in the community. Just one more factor for the school to consider if they are thinking of ending the Sherri Coale coaching era. Also, I have followed the Big 12 since it began in 1996. Generally, a women's basketball program, if it has changed coaches, has had to do so at least once again to achieve any measure of success. The only partial exception I can think of is Nebraska. Angela Beck coached only one season in the Big 12. Her successor Paul Sanderford made the NCAA tournament in the first 3 of this 5 seasons. He was followed by Connie Yori whose Big 12 results were mediocre.

Sherry is a pretty good coach:Evidence? The game against UConn this season. She has some talented Frosh, she has shown she can and does coach well with talent(Geno--Talent can make a fair coach look great (paraphrasing).
If I were part of her Admin, I say, hey, let us see where she goes with this class and hope the next one is as good. Then we'll go from here. Before Sherri U of Okla wasn't on the Women's College BB Map.. However will millions per year she more than likely banked and invested and no longer needs the U of Ok job, with that I'd say good for her. I'm a Sherri-Sooner fan..

Reaction Score
Sherry is a pretty good coach:Evidence? The game against UConn this season. She has some talented Frosh, she has shown she can and does coach well with talent(Geno--Talent can make a fair coach look great (paraphrasing).
If I were part of her Admin, I say, hey, let us see where she goes with this class and hope the next one is as good. Then we'll go from here. Before Sherri U of Okla wasn't on the Women's College BB Map.. However will millions per year she more than likely banked and invested and no longer needs the U of Ok job, with that I'd say good for her. I'm a Sherri-Sooner fan..

The first time I recall Sherri Coale was in 2002. She had a great player named Stacy Dales, and they played UConn for the title. Dales fouled out trying to defend Di , and UConn went on to take the Championship. I think Dales is now an NFL reporter. She was a great basketball player, but she met her match that day! :)
@Bama---If you recall that game--you should recall the game between UofOkla and UC in the Hartford Civic Center. The refs--I guess their first time of TV--blew and blew and blew--other than that it was a great game. Sherri's teams (knowing Geno got her the Job and offered guidance) were tough minded and tough spirited like their coach. FUN Games.. One of the best Uconn team, if not the best, was played hard by this young woman's team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
As one other so colorfully put it, I'll be pulling the wings from flies tonight and watching the Oklahoma-TCU game, starting now on FS1.

The intro pointed out that Oklahoma's top 7 scorers are all freshmen and sophomores.

Once again Pellington isn't starting. Word on the Sooner board is she's in Sherri's dog house for undisciplined play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I just turned it on. TCU's court is horrendous. That's a different kind of ugly than Oregon's. I think it's worse. Hurts my eyes. Make it stop!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Sherry is a pretty good coach:Evidence? The game against UConn this season.

She has some talented Frosh, she has shown she can and does coach well with talent(Geno--Talent can make a fair coach look great (paraphrasing)...
Broadway, all due respect I disagree. Her record is 5-11, Massey has her at #125,
Her defense is #248. That is not a sign of a good coach. Yes, they are young, why, because players have left her program like Nancy Mulkey, so her cupboard was left bare by her own hands. She hasn’t gotten good talent in a few years as she’s been eclipsed in her own conference by Aston, now Pebley and Carey and Iowa State. She had a nice run but seems to have peaked in her career. My believeis she survives this contract and then is allowed to resign/be reassigned as something in the OU Athletic Dept.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just turned it on. TCU's court is horrendous. That's a different kind of ugly than Oregon's. I think it's worse. Hurts my eyes. Make it stop!
Ha I was just about to comment on this. It looks like it was designed by M.C. Escher. At least Oregon's court is in theme. I wonder what the rationale for this design is.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Mmm, not so sure I am with you on that! I think you’ve become desensitized to Oregondue to all the games you’ve seen

Plebe

Reaction Score
Okay, someone remind me how in tarnation did this Oklahoma team almost beat UConn?

Oklahoma is trailing 52-36 midway through 3Q. It's pretty much the same story in every game for them (except when they played UConn, go figure). They look young and inexperienced and lack size and strength. They terribly miss Vionise Pierre-Louis. I don't think they have anyone who can properly be considered a post player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Broadway, all due respect I disagree. Her record is 5-11, Massey has her at #125,
Her defense is #248. That is not a sign of a good coach. Yes, they are young, why, because players have left her program like Nancy Mulkey, so her cupboard was left bare by her own hands. She hasn’t gotten good talent in a few years as she’s been eclipsed in her own conference by Aston, now Pebley and Carey and Iowa State. She had a nice run but seems to have peaked in her career. My believeis she survives this contract and then is allowed to resign/be reassigned as something in the OU Athletic Dept.
No disrespect found. Your postings are insightful and intelligent Mine on Sherri is emotionally based. However her fan base has been positive (I don't know what it is currently). I think she deserves some latitude with the talent she has on board. She, put that program on the map---that deserves some consideration. Again---opinion are just that--I will never argue against YOUR's. Just a different slant on Sherri--whom I really like, win or lose..

Reaction Score
Ha I was just about to comment on this. It looks like it was designed by M.C. Escher. At least Oregon's court is in theme. I wonder what the rationale for this design is.

Suppose to look like scales or the back of a toad. Something to that effect, I was at the BU TCU game and someone tried to explain it to me.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Update: barring a very unexpected comeback today, OU will drop to 5-15 on the year, 1-8 in conference play. None of their conference losses have been competitive and they needed a big comeback to knock off a dreadful Texas Tech team for their lone win.

Yes they are young, but I don't see any indication that they're somehow going to turn around and become a top 25 team anytime soon. The UCONN game appears to be a fluke.

If they continue pace and finish 2-16 or 3-15 in conference play, I'm not sure Coale can come back from that. Overall their final record would be 6-24 or 7-23 for one of the highest paid coaches in America.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Coach Coale has always been a favorite of mine! Great writer, responsive answers emails personally, very tough gal, passionate, has accomplished a lot in her tenure, all OU wbb scholarships are endowed, perhaps she needs to move on to new life challenges, she has a great deal going for her beyond being a WBB Coach. It might be time!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Sherri. I think she's a good coach, and they gave us a good game. But you are your record, as one of the NFL coaches used to say. And they are a woeful 5-15. She may need a change of scenery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom