Hornets decline Bouknight's fourth-year option | The Boneyard

Hornets decline Bouknight's fourth-year option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No surprise, he’s a scorer that can’t score and doesn’t do much of anything else.

Reaction Score
No surprise, he’s a scorer that can’t score and doesn’t do much of anything else.
His problems go deeper than that. He blew a great opportunity because, pure and simple, he's a knucklehead and very immature. He's someone who really needed a mentor to help guide him in the NBA. I do believe he has the physical gifts to succeed in the NBA but he needs to learn how to be a pro.

Reaction Score
His problems go deeper than that. He blew a great opportunity because, pure and simple, he's a knucklehead and very immature. He's someone who really needed a mentor to help guide him in the NBA. I do believe he has the physical gifts to succeed in the NBA but he needs to learn how to be a pro.
I just speak on what I can see on the court. He’s very one dimensional and not good at that. Charlotte probably has the worst roster and he can’t get solid playing time bc of him and no one else.

Reaction Score
What does he do now? A lot of potential but his head is just not there.
I sometimes would check the Hornets box score with the hope that I would see him become the player we all believe he could be but that day has never come. Hopefully he gets another shot somewhere else but like you said he needs to have his head in the right place.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
NO SURPRISE yet it's a sad story.
He's got things going on more important than basketball but he needs someone who could penetrate his ego and get into his head.
DH did not help at all - hopefully lesson learned on all parties involved.

He made about $7 million after taxes (not including endorsements).

Would love to know what he has left and hopefully someone will step in and take control of that money.
Endorsements? From Jose Cuervo? the NHRA?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Remember how hilarious it was when he got kicked out of Gampel?

What a dummy.

Reaction Score
Face Palm GIF

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
NO SURPRISE yet it's a sad story.
He's got things going on more important than basketball but he needs someone who could penetrate his ego and get into his head.
DH did not help at all - hopefully lesson learned on all parties involved.

He made about $7 million after taxes (not including endorsements).

Would love to know what he has left and hopefully someone will step in and take control of that money.
Endorsements? From Jose Cuervo? the NHRA?
I wouldn’t say Dan Hurley didn’t help at all. I’m sure looking back there are things Hurley wished he handled differently, but at the end of the day Bouknight made the choices he did. The fact that Hurley has been here 5 years and Bouk has been the only “problem child” he’s recruited speaks volumes to the type of mentorship Hurley gives his players. And Bouk isn’t a bad dude, he’s just made a lot of very immature mistakes.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say Dan Hurley didn’t help at all. I’m sure looking back there are things Hurley wished he handled differently, but at the end of the day Bouknight made the choices he did. The fact that Hurley has been here 5 years and Bouk has been the only “problem child” he’s recruited speaks volumes to the type of mentorship Hurley gives his players. And Bouk isn’t a bad dude, he’s just made a lot of very immature mistakes.
I'm assuming you're replying to someone who has me on ignore so I can't even see the context. But it's pretty hard to say Hurley did nothing for Bouknight. Relative to everything that's happened since he left UConn it seems that Hurley did a good job keeping him in check while at UConn.

He was presumably just as immature then as he is now, if not more, and he really only had the one incident when he first got to campus with the car. At least that got out publicly, I'm sure there were others

Reaction Score
I don't even think his antics are largely relevant here. The Hornets have already proven based on their roster that they aren't too worried about character concerns. He just hasn't flashed enough at the NBA level. He had at least one good game I can remember last season (March game vs the Bulls), but has never had a stretch where he's earned extended floor time. His skillset at 23 isn't a lot different than it was when he was drafted, and teams would rather kick the tires on guys that are 3-4 years younger than him at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't even think his antics are largely relevant here. The Hornets have already proven based on their roster that they aren't too worried about character concerns. He just hasn't flashed enough at the NBA level. He had at least one good game I can remember last season (March game vs the Bulls), but has never had a stretch where he's earned extended floor time. His skillset at 23 isn't a lot different than it was when he was drafted, and teams would rather kick the tires on guys that are 3-4 years younger than him at this point.
I would say his skillset now looks worse than when he was drafted. At UConn he was exceptional at getting to the hoop and finishing and I remember him at least being a competent defender. I watched his summer league games and he did nothing but take 30 foot step backs and barely played D at all. Body language was terrible, looked entirely uninterested. Don't think he loves the game anymore.

Reaction Score
He seems unwilling to put in the effort and discipline needed to make it to the big show. He got paid, so If he's smart, he should be financially set for the rest of his life without worrying about work. So, it's not exactly a tragic ending. But it doesn't reflect well on DH or the school.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He can play in the NBA, but he’s not good enough to coast and play in the NBA.

Plus, he’s a complete hammerhead - Charlotte put up with it because they had to, but if he acts like a twerp overseas, he’s on a plane somewhere else.

Kid needs to grow up.

Reaction Score
What does he do now? A lot of potential but his head is just not there.
Psychiatrist? life coach? A friend to convince him he is pizzin away more than he already has?
His family support and surrounding cast has to have been minimal to say the least.
Kid needs to grow up.
Badda Bing, Badda Boom! It's a different age for everyone but he should have realized his potential by now. That and respected what he has been offered.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I used to say I think he has ADHD with the way he would get disinterested or make poor impulsive decisions off the court. He is the type that needs someone to hold him accountable every step of the way. With the right psychiatric approach and mentorship, he could probably earn a 2-way and then get back onto a full roster from there with consistent effort. That is, if the surgery goes well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Never could read the kid. Even-keeled emotion and on full display when drafted....no smile or anything.

He had demons. Probably ones that drove him into that street pole back in the day.

I wish him the best.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I used to say I think he has ADHD with the way he would get disinterested or make poor impulsive decisions off the court. He is the type that needs someone to hold him accountable every step of the way. With the right psychiatric approach and mentorship, he could probably earn a 2-way and then get back onto a full roster from there with consistent effort. That is, if the surgery goes well.

I know people with ADHD and none of them have gotten drunk, fallen asleep with their car running while holding a hand gun and then pausing to eat a sandwich before accidentally crashing into the cops who have been trying to wake them for an hour. That’s not ADHD.

He needs to not be an idiot. Time has probably run out for that, but here’s hoping someone decides he’s worth a shot and that he makes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom