Hoping for this 8 man rotation sooner rather than later | The Boneyard

Hoping for this 8 man rotation sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rodney, Sterling, D-Ham, Miller, Brimah, Facey, Adams, and Enoch. We need chemistry and playing 11 makes it harder to develop that.

I really see Omar, Cassell, and Nolan more of guys who play if the othersare in foul trouble/or injured. They are just too inconsistent.

Reaction Score
November and part of December rotation is what the players are fighting for. I believe Ollie is working on this daily, and will be established come conference play. November and December are 'tweak' months, especially with a 'new' roster of players.

I will say that everything is directional right now, and Omar, Phil are not trending . However both will get spotty PT based on their tenure. If Omar would rely on a 2 point shot more than the 3 he would be trending upwards.

BTW: Is Phil still injured?

Reaction Score
Nolan's playing time will be game flow specific. In some games, his length and 5 fouls will come in handy and he could see extended minutes. Right now, I'd rank Cassell ahead of Omar. I feel for the kid, but right now all I see Omar doing is throwing up insanely bad shots and missing said shots.

Reaction Score
I have to believe Phil is still not close to 100% or he'd get more time. He looks slow when he comes in and not sure of himself at all. Hopefully he will mend because there will be times he is our best choice when healthy.

Reaction Score
Nine man. Omar and Cassell share the nine minutes.

Not always but sometimes. They will both have their games but when they enter they need to make shots as neither adds much else. I will say this though, Omar had 4 rebounds yesterday in less minutes than many who had less.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not always but sometimes. They will both have their games but when they enter they need to make shots as neither adds much else. I will say this though, Omar had 4 rebounds yesterday in less minutes than many who had less.

Mau - I saw the rebound stat but as i remember 3 fell right into his hands via the bounce off the rim - same as AB, neither really go in there and fight for the rebound - right now, only Facey and Enich show that desire.
I just don't get it - I am now in the camp of where UConn really needs a bona fide Big Man coach - I thought Freeman would fill that gap

Reaction Score
Mau - I saw the rebound stat but as i remember 3 fell right into his hands via the bounce off the rim - same as AB, neither really go in there and fight for the rebound - right now, only Facey and Enich show that desire.
I just don't get it - I am now in the camp of where UConn really needs a bona fide Big Man coach - I thought Freeman would fill that gap
Freeman isn't a coach.

Reaction Score
unlike many on the board, i actually like cassell in certain matchups. if the other team has slow guards who don't press, he can see minutes. he seems to be a very heady player on the court, despite lacking the physical gifts to be a starter. I like him and Adams as our two guards off the bench when needed.

Look i appreciate nolans effort, but there is no reason for enoch to be behind him in the rotation. Omar and Nolan have been our least productive players. What KO should do is bring in facey (who has been nothing short of incredible) for brimah for the first big sub, then enoch for miller. And dead any lineup that has calhoun at the 4.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I have to believe Phil is still not close to 100% or he'd get more time. He looks slow when he comes in and not sure of himself at all. Hopefully he will mend because there will be times he is our best choice when healthy.
Enoch is just looking better than Phil at the moment, injury or no injury. Let's see how KO deploys his bigs against Maryland who have a lot of big bodies up front but I still think Enoch will take most of Phil's PT as the season moves along.

Certain matchups and foul trouble to Amida will dictate some different rotations for the frontcourt but isn't it a great problem to have too many big men rather than a year ago when we had no choice but to hand Nolan bigger minutes than he deserves and Facey clearly wasn't ready to be relied upon either

Reaction Score

uconn hasn't had a big-man coach since Vaughan made his mistake.
how long is a guy with his coaching talent going to pay for his mistake.
not sure where he is today, but I think he's out of coaching completely.
If guys like Pitino and Petrino can be head coaches, how is this guy not even on someone's staff.
from the article below, although dated, Calhoun is referenced as saying Clyde was one of the best big-man recruiters he's had.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pitt-ba...ilding-basketball-resume/stories/200711050187

Reaction Score

Freeman was an effort big man; an undersized 4 who did most of his damage off of the offensive boards, transition, or through direct assisted baskets. I don't think of him as this guy who can coach post-play as it was not something he was particularly good at.

The Amida "fighting" for boards thing is interesting. If you watch him, more often than not he does not even jump to rebound. He's rooted to the ground. This could be a total lack of instincts or a complete lack of leg strength to elevate in traffic. But I find it so perplexing that he doesn't even leave his feet to board. Kinda negates his athleticism/height.

Reaction Score
Freeman was an effort big man; an undersized 4 who did most of his damage off of the offensive boards, transition, or through direct assisted baskets. I don't think of him as this guy who can coach post-play as it was not something he was particularly good at.

The Amida "fighting" for boards thing is interesting. If you watch him, more often than not he does not even jump to rebound. He's rooted to the ground. This could be a total lack of instincts or a complete lack of leg strength to elevate in traffic. But I find it so perplexing that he doesn't even leave his feet to board. Kinda negates his athleticism/height.
there aren't many 7 footers with vertical ability. Kevin Garnett was a freak of nature given his height and athletic ability.
has there been anyone close to that combination?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's totally instincts. He's a smart kid who works hard, but seems to struggle to apply teaching at game speed. It's like he sees the play a second or two late.

Reaction Score
It's totally instincts.
I think it's more balance than instincts, and it's the same reason he's not a good post defender. If you put your shoulder into his chest and knock him off balance just a little bit, he takes forever to recover.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think it's more balance than instincts, and it's the same reason he's not a good post defender. If you put your shoulder into his chest and knock him off balance just a little bit, he takes forever to recover.

As with most things in life, it's probably a combination of both. Good point.

Reaction Score
there aren't many 7 footers with vertical ability. Kevin Garnett was a freak of nature given his height and athletic ability.
Anthony Davis, Early Dwight

Reaction Score
Rodney, Sterling, D-Ham, Miller, Brimah, Facey, Adams, and Enoch. We need chemistry and playing 11 makes it harder to develop that.

I really see Omar, Cassell, and Nolan more of guys who play if the othersare in foul trouble/or injured. They are just too inconsistent.

I'd prefer Omar as the 8th man over Enoch if only taking this year's team success into account. I think 4 bigs is too much for an 8 man rotation and I think this team has the pieces to run a very effective small ball lineup with Hamilton at the 4 and Brimah/Miller/Facey at the 5. I'd love to see Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton and then any of the bigs at the 5 depending on the situation.

Reaction Score

But he literally doesn't jump... at all. Gheorge Muresan was the most unathletic player I've ever seen. But he left the floor (barely) to rebound.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer Omar as the 8th man over Enoch if only taking this year's team success into account. I think 4 bigs is too much for an 8 man rotation and I think this team has the pieces to run a very effective small ball lineup with Hamilton at the 4 and Brimah/Miller/Facey at the 5. I'd love to see Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton and then any of the bigs at the 5 depending on the situation.

We have seen Omar for four years now. He shouldn't see the court unless the game is out of hand. Definitely Enoch time.

Reaction Score
It's totally instincts. He's a smart kid who works hard, but seems to struggle to apply teaching at game speed. It's like he sees the play a second or two late.

Or a day too late at times

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, Brimah. Then sub in only Adams, Facey, Enoch, and Omar.

If we bench Enoch and give him Facey-freshman year minutes we're killing ourselves come March. Because he'll be the more dependable matchup against bigger teams. We seen and know what happens to Brimah vs. people heavier and quicker than him.

Reaction Score
I say bring Vaughn back. He got involved with a hooker! Who hasnt?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom