Hoophall This Weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoophall This Weekend

Reaction Score
Jackson does not look like he is a “stick” has a good body.

He’s thin. If he’s 6’7 like the article says I’d give him 190-195. He’s a perfect 3 in a Dan Hurley system.

Reaction Score
I hope a perfect 3 in Dan’s system, isn’t a 3 with no jump shot.

This doesn’t make sense. Do you want every player at every position to be flawless? We’ll have plenty of shooters in the lineup with Cole, Bouk, and Akok all capable of shooting 40% from the 3. Jackson is a long wing who defends, gets out in transition, and slashes to the basket...aka a perfect 3 in Dan Hurley’s system.

Reaction Score
This doesn’t make sense. Do you want every player at every position to be flawless? We’ll have plenty of shooters in the lineup with Cole, Bouk, and Akok all capable of shooting 40% from the 3. Jackson is a long wing who defends, gets out in transition, and slashes to the basket...aka a perfect 3 in Dan Hurley’s system.

That’d be a huge jump for Bouk and Akok to shoot 40% next season. Don’t think you can count on that. Think they’re gonna need another proven knock down shooter. If their percentages stay true for the season, that’d be a 10% increase for Akok and 7% for Bouk.

Reaction Score
I’d like Akok to focus on his inside game a little bit, he hasn’t improved shooting from what I can tell. He’s got all the length and hops to be a rim runner.

Reaction Score

Capable? We'll see if they take that leap. But I wonder how Bouk's stat look to rip? Akok to say Donyell's freshmen years? Hope they match the progression, if not better, to sphomore season. They will have to be able to carry the team the whole game not in spurts.

Obviously they are talented.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’d be a huge jump for Bouk and Akok to shoot 40% next season. Don’t think you can count on that. Think they’re gonna need another proven knock down shooter. If their percentages stay true for the season, that’d be a 10% increase for Akok and 7% for Bouk.
I’d like Akok to focus on his inside game a little bit, he hasn’t improved shooting from what I can tell. He’s got all the length and hops to be a rim runner.
Capable? We'll see if they take that leap. But I wonder how Bouk's stat look to rip? Akok to say Doynelle's freshmen years? Hope they match the progression, if not better, to sphomore season. They will have to be able to carry the team the whole game not in spurts.

Obviously they are talented.

I said capable of, my friends. I’m not saying they will all shoot 40% from 3. Bouk and Akok have been above average shooters all throughout high school. I think neither has shown their outside shooting potential yet. Cole is money from 3 and will benefit big time from not being double teamed like he was at Howard. My whole point here is that just because Jackson isn’t known for his shooting doesn’t mean he’s not a perfect 3 for Hurley’s style of play.

Reaction Score
I said capable of, my friends. I’m not saying they will all shoot 40% from 3. Bouk and Akok have been above average shooters all throughout high school. I think neither has shown their outside shooting potential yet. Cole is money from 3 and will benefit big time from not being double teamed like he was at Howard. My whole point here is that just because Jackson isn’t known for his shooting doesn’t mean he’s not a perfect 3 for Hurley’s style of play.
As we know, High School shooting stats are pretty useless in projecting shooters. Alterique was literally over 50% from 3 his Senior year, but has never been a good shooter here. It’s apples to oranges.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

“UConn is a good school,” Sanogo said. “It’s a good school and I like it. One more year – I’m going to take my time and see what’s best for me.”

We were the only school Sanogo talked about specifically. It doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to reclass, but that would be a nice add

C

Chief00

You never have enough shooters, especially in context for where we are in that department.

Reaction Score
You never have enough shooters, especially in context for where we are in that department.

So anybody who isn’t an exceptional shooter won’t fit on the wing in Hurley’s system? Come on. Andre Jackson is everything Hurley wants in a wing player.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks that there is a pure shooter on this time, right now, they are dreaming
UConn hasn't seen a go to shooter since Bazz and I never considered him a pure shooter
Andre Jackson is everything Hurley wants in a wing player.
That may be but maybe that might be the issue. Why not someone with some size, I mean manlike size that UConn sees facing them almost every game yet has none on their roster that comes close. Jackson is a freak athlete and I understand a lot of folks excitement - he is highly rated and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table. But please DH - a shooter and some bulk is needed

Reaction Score
There are still shooters out there like Jaylen Stone (Sunrise Christian) and Tyler Beard (Whitney Young) that would be nice additions

C

Chief00

So anybody who isn’t an exceptional shooter won’t fit on the wing in Hurley’s system? Come on. Andre Jackson is everything Hurley wants in a wing player.
Quite frankly, Chief likes to have three guys out there that can knock down a 3. It makes it difficult to double team and makes the game easier. You saw how Villanova spread the court and then was able to take advantage of half court matchups and open 3’s.
When Chief thinks UConn wing Rip Hamilton comes to mind along with Rudy Guy and you might even think of Ray Allen, although he’s really more a 2 guard. Donyell could also hit the corner 3 and Charlie V could extend out but they were perhaps more college 4 men. D Brown and Rash Anderson could shoot from the 2 or 3 man position.
During 2004 if Taliek wanted to get a 3 ball,he had up to 4 guys he could dish with confidence to on the roster (Ben G, D. Brown, R Anderson and Charlie). Some games it could rain threes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Cole, Bouk, and Akok all can shoot 40% from 3 this team should never lose. However they lost to Nova because they couldn’t shoot 20% from 3. If you have 3 players that can shoot 35% from 3 you’re in great shape. This is a prime example of how our talent level is continuously overestimated.

Reaction Score
This board is loony:

Boneyard: We need a shooter

Enter Tyler Polley

Boneyard: Polley is one dimensional, all he can do is be a spot up shooter

Polley: Check out my new haircut, also check this out, I can rebound and play with fire

Boneyard: If Polley plays with fire like that we might not lose another game

Polley:Season ending injury

Boneyard: We’re a better team without him, unleash Bouknight!

After Nova...

Boneyard: We suck, we need a pure shooter. We haven’t had one since Rashad Anderson!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson does all of this to some extent, unpolished, but does it. He struggles to find playing time in Hurley’s system.

Jackson will be good eventually, but I’m withholding any expectations until we see him here. I doubt he’ll be a force his freshman year.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson does all of this to some extent, unpolished, but does it. He struggles to find playing time in Hurley’s system.

Jackson will be good eventually, but I’m withholding any expectations until we see him here. I doubt he’ll be a force his freshman year.

From what I’ve heard, Jackson is a better ball handler and passer than Sid. He looks stronger, too. But I’m with you in not getting my hopes up too high for his freshman year. That’s not a knock on him; it’s just a big transition.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, Jackson is a better ball handler and passer than Sid. He looks stronger, too. But I’m with you in not getting my hopes up too high for his freshman year. That’s not a knock on him; it’s just a big transition.

Thinking he has much more natural instincts for the game coming in. You can tell he’s a better ball handler and passer. Only guessing hes fundamentally stronger which makes him easier to coach. Neither can shoot and that hurts them in half court. Having said all of that I think Sid has looked better as of late. He’s obviously in a bit of the doghouse but at the same time he commits fouls at a rapid pace. Hope he gets into better practice habits need him on the floor more when he’s playing well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went. I got a ticket asking around in the parking lot. I saw. Now FWIW I'll report to the Boneyard.

Andre Jackson
Jackson is the only major talent on his team and they lost by 11 at 9am to a Delaware team with a couple good players. I like Jackson, but let me influence your expectations by sharing the details of his game.

In the first few minutes Jackson drove baseline, put up a 3 footer that missed badly, stayed with the play and had a tip attempt from the other side of the basket, but came away empty. A couple minutes later there was essentially an instant replay. 2 drives, 2 misses, 2 tips, 2 more misses. He made 2 foul shots, missed a three, airballed a 3 badly, then over a short span got rebounds twice, went the length of the court weaving through players, and threw the ball down with authority twice. He followed that up finishing an in bounds play alley-oop. He had 17 points in the game, 4 assists, 7 RBs, and 2 steals and shot 2 of 5 from deep. When he made 2 of three from deep in the second half he was unfortunately caught up in playing hero ball a la Vital. He shot from 6 feet behind the arc, less than 10 seconds into the possessions. The good news is that he did drain 2 for 5 and they were deep threes. All 4 of his assists came from penetration and dishing to the perimeter. Several entry passes to the post were only 50% successful. At the end he missed the front end of a one and one. He’s going to get the UConn crowd on it’s feet roaring with spectacular momentum building plays, interspersed with moments of what the … He and Bouknight are equals, physically, with play, and potential.

Reaction Score
I went. I got a ticket asking around in the parking lot. I saw. Now FWIW I'll report to the Boneyard.

Andre Jackson
Jackson is the only major talent on his team and they lost by 11 at 9am to a Delaware team with a couple good players. I like Jackson, but let me influence your expectations by sharing the details of his game.

In the first few minutes Jackson drove baseline, put up a 3 footer that missed badly, stayed with the play and had a tip attempt from the other side of the basket, but came away empty. A couple minutes later there was essentially an instant replay. 2 drives, 2 misses, 2 tips, 2 more misses. He made 2 foul shots, missed a three, airballed a 3 badly, then over a short span got rebounds twice, went the length of the court weaving through players, and threw the ball down with authority twice. He followed that up finishing an in bounds play alley-oop. He had 17 points in the game, 4 assists, 7 RBs, and 2 steals and shot 2 of 5 from deep. When he made 2 of three from deep in the second half he was unfortunately caught up in playing hero ball a la Vital. He shot from 6 feet behind the arc, less than 10 seconds into the possessions. The good news is that he did drain 2 for 5 and they were deep threes. All 4 of his assists came from penetration and dishing to the perimeter. Several entry passes to the post were only 50% successful. At the end he missed the front end of a one and one. He’s going to get the UConn crowd on it’s feet roaring with spectacular momentum building plays, interspersed with moments of what the … He and Bouknight are equals, physically, with play, and potential.

Thanks have a good picture of Andre after this Ricker, good stuff.

Reaction Score
Cliff Omoyuri
The Boneyard is going to kill me for this one, because despite the glowing statements in the earlier posted article in this thread, I was very underwhelmed in relation to what we need to compete for conference and national championships. He did not play bad and accomplished the statistics reported, so it is likely my expectations were just too high. In my mind’s eye, I had come to see him as a 6’10 Oriakhi type player who would own the paint, stand up to power players trying to back him down, get rebounds, and protect the rim. I guess that expectation is unfair because physically, he has thin legs and torso, narrow shoulders, and a lot more in common with Whaley than Oriakhi despite these other reports. Any of the 3 centers on Putnam Science would back him down as if he was Whaley. I liked all 3 of them more.

In the Roselle Catholic game vs Bishop Gorman of NV, he threw down 2 spectacular alley oops, and 4 times he garnered a loose ball under his hoop and rose up and threw it down. His 7th basket he went up to dunk from a standing position but was a foot or so farther away from the basket than he thought so it ended up being a finger roll. I hoped I would see he could make the foul line jump shot, but other than the dunk plays, it was tough to evaluate much at all. He never dribbled, he never made a true post move, he never actually took a shot, he never left the paint defensively to guard a player on the perimeter until the desperation of the last minutes. He only blocked a layup from a small driving guard, he was rebounding against 6’6 players, and he didn’t get any of his dunks against the other team’s 6’11 reserve player when that guy was in. He also didn’t make any notable passes. He is ranked as a top 50 player so my guess is he can do a lot more than he showed in this game.

Lance Ware at about #40 with the KY offer Cliff covets, proved himself to be a stud against 7’ Evan Mobley ranked #1, and Ware was one of the best players I saw. Maybe KY has a different rating system than the services and has reasons why they haven’t offered big Cliff? My guess is we can ignore Kentucky as a landing place for Cliff.

Obviously, I only saw 1 game. If I saw Carlton just once, it might be a 0 point game or a 10 rebound 12 point game and I would come away with wildly different opinions except for his physical traits. Cliff is a good post player, but the player I saw is a good guy to have on the roster in a rotation, unlikely the low post talent to change UConn’s fortunes. Keep in mind he didn't impact this game enough to win it. (Although Neils Lane didn't play).

My own opinion is that if it turns out we can add a player for next year, that player should move the needle for us rather than be just another arrow in the quiver. An impact power player at center, a shooter with some secondary skills, or an excellent point guard. If Cliff commits I’ll be routing for him and I have no doubt he'll help. I hated writing this.

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo
The article posted by Hooperscooper lists Adama Sanogo as a top performer and that is just where I was going.
He is a 6'9 245lb 2021 widebody with game ranked #128. Contrast this report with what I wrote regarding Cliff. The Patrick School played IMG Academy with a starting front court of Mark Williams 7'1 #30 Duke commit, and Moussa Diabate at 6' 11 2021 ranked #13. They rotate in Lynn Kidd at 6'10 2021 ranked #121, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield 6'10 class of 2022 #6, and Zach Edey a positively huge human being at 7'3 class of 2020 who is a decent ball player and unranked. Jonathan Kuminga 2021 #1 for Patrick did not play, but Adama did have to also compete on the boards with his own teammates including Bretner Mutombo 6'11 class 2021 ranked #152, and Samson Johnson 6'10 2021, as well as an Asian player Chris (Chung/Jung?) who was all of 6'10 and widebody but not listed in the program. Against this humanity Sanogo got 26 points, 12 RBs, 2 Blocks, AND 7 STEALS.!! His steals were all over the court and in transition. On 1 occassion he took the ball the length of the court with 1 man back, eurostepped to avoid the defender and put the ball in. He had the conditioning never to come out of the game. He scored shooting, dunking, and with post moves. Always against multiple big bigs. He took 2 3pt shots that were almost set shots and more comical than impressive, but he is a player. BUT, again, one guy isn't enough and they lost. Give me a guy like this as part of a 3 headed rotation in the frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo
The article posted by Hooperscooper lists Adama Sanogo as a top performer and that is just where I was going.
He is a 6'9 245lb 2021 widebody with game ranked #128. Contrast this report with what I wrote regarding Cliff. The Patrick School played IMG Academy with a starting front court of Mark Williams 7'1 #30 Duke commit, and Moussa Diabate at 6' 11 2021 ranked #13. They rotate in Lynn Kidd at 6'10 2021 ranked #121, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield 6'10 class of 2022 #6, and Zach Edey a positively huge human being at 7'3 class of 2020 who is a decent ball player and unranked. Jonathan Kuminga 2021 #1 for Patrick did not play, but Adama did have to also compete on the boards with his own teammates including Bretner Mutombo 6'11 class 2021 ranked #152, and Samson Johnson 6'10 2021, as well as an Asian player Chris (Chung/Jung?) who was all of 6'10 and widebody but not listed in the program. Against this humanity Sanogo got 26 points, 12 RBs, 2 Blocks, AND 7 STEALS.!! His steals were all over the court and in transition. On 1 occassion he took the ball the length of the court with 1 man back, eurostepped to avoid the defender and put the ball in. He had the conditioning never to come out of the game. He scored shooting, dunking, and with post moves. Always against multiple big bigs. He took 2 3pt shots that were almost set shots and more comical than impressive, but he is a player. BUT, again, one guy isn't enough and they lost. Give me a guy like this as part of a 3 headed rotation in the frontcourt.
Sanogo is ranked #62. We're on him, I really like his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom