Hoophall players to watch: Breanna Stewart | The Boneyard

Hoophall players to watch: Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For a tall player, she dribbles the ball very low.

She also uses the left hand well.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
For a tall player, she dribbles the ball very low.

She also uses the left hand well.

Note that video is almost 2 years old now. She's improved her game since then.... :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
she is spectacular. i wonder if she's 6'3" or 6'4". not sure it makes a huge difference but i've seen both heights pretty much equally attributed to her. i thought i read she refers to herself as 6'4" and did she say she may be 6'5" when she's finally done growing?

either way, we keep reading about how she's expanded her game and we saw her on the US national team knock down some deep jumpers. not sure if she has a consistent 3 point shot yet, but her FT shooting is already really good. coming in as a freshman, she may be the best all around player in the history of WCBB in comparison to other greats at that time period in their development.

Reaction Score
Breanna's potential is unlimited; on her high school team she had to do everything. This is not going to be the case at UCONN where there will be enormous talent. I'm just glad that UCONN has this young lady for four years.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Since it is a two year old video, she probably is 6'4" now...:)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I recall on the GA Show, Geno himself said she is 6'4.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
game will be shown live on Masslive.org (if free, this will cut into ticket sales)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lower than Bria who is 6-7" shorter.
Yeah, Bria dribbles at nearly shoulder height. Breanna dribbles at just above knee height! She really could play PG, a la Magic Johnson!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, Bria dribbles at nearly shoulder height. Breanna dribbles at just above knee height! She really could play PG, a la Magic Johnson!
To me Bria's height on her dribble is one of the limiting factors in her game.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Yeah but knee height for Stewart would be shoulder height to others LOL.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I recall on the GA Show, Geno himself said she is 6'4.

Additionally, Breanna herself has tweeted on the subject, stating that she is 6'4". [See thread]

For those still having questions, perhaps we can address the matter in Holy Grail parlance:

"....6'4" shall be the number of the height, and the number of the height shall be 6'4". 6'5" shalt thou not count, neither count thou 6'3", excepting that thou then proceedeth to 6'4" as the current figure. 6'6" is right out!"

monty-python-holy-hand-grenade_std.original.jpg

Reaction Score
To me Bria's height on her dribble is one of the limiting factors in her game.
Absolutely. Bria is a helluva shooter and fine all-around players. I'm glad she plays for UConn. But I'm waiting for some really athletic guard -- and there are a few out there -- to pick her pocket a few times during a game. Any coach who has such a guard would have to be schooling her on how to take advantage of this weakness in Bria's style.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Bria is a helluva shooter and fine all-around players. I'm glad she plays for UConn. But I'm waiting for some really athletic guard -- and there are a few out there -- to pick her pocket a few times during a game. Any coach who has such a guard would have to be schooling her on how to take advantage of this weakness in Bria's style.
Bria know's who she can dribble like that against and who not to... UConn dribbles very little against good teams so that so-called "weakness" will not be taken advantage of

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria know's who she can dribble like that against and who not to... UConn dribbles very little against good teams so that so-called "weakness" will not be taken advantage of
Except that it is, also, what leads to her being called for carrying the ball periodically.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I can live with it...

how often has she been called for it this season?

Im sure palming is called more than the "hi-dribble".

BTW talking about will get it noticed even more, ask Maya (her handle) Charde (extra steps) Kaili or Stef (moving screens).

not saying they're not violating but let the refs decide... saying it enough people will start to believe.

dirty player, always throws elbows, always over the back etc.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is not anything to believe, it is an obvious reality. The high dribble call doesn't exist. The problem is the other issues it leads to like palming or carrying and steals. Still it is something she needs to eliminate before she gets to the next level because WNBA guards will pick her pocket because of it. It is a developmental need for her sake, not just the teams and certainly not the fans.

Skylar picked her pocket several times last year as did Sims at Baylor. Because Bria is so talented her assets more than make up for it by why wouldn't any kid want to improve their game and eliminate a vulnerability and liability. Dribbling chest high is one thing but Bria is often dribbling face high.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The article linked another article comparing Breanna Stewart to Tina Charles:

Article

Reaction Score
Im sure palming is called more than the "hi-dribble".

I hope it's called a lot more - since there is no rule at all against "high dribbles". As long as you don't palm the ball, you can have each dribble go a foot or more above your head. (Or it can legally go 20+ feet above your head if you don't touch it.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hope it's called a lot more - since there is no rule at all against "high dribbles". As long as you don't palm the ball, you can have each dribble go a foot or more above your head. (Or it can legally go 20+ feet above your head if you don't touch it.)
Precisely.

Reaction Score
Additionally, Breanna herself has tweeted on the subject, stating that she is 6'4". [See thread]

For those still having questions, perhaps we can address the matter in Holy Grail parlance:

"....6'4" shall be the number of the height, and the number of the height shall be 6'4". 6'5" shalt thou not count, neither count thou 6'3", excepting that thou then proceedeth to 6'4" as the current figure. 6'6" is right out!"

monty-python-holy-hand-grenade_std.original.jpg

Shall we refer to her as the Holy hand grenade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom